iPad in Penthouse Suites

gdlamberth

Discussion and the comments I have provided are not about Crystal but about the iPad. I never mentioned another cruise line and it is certainly not relevant to this discussion.

On a related note, I sail on many lines. I happen to enjoy several of them and find that diversity in what they offer and not offer is good.

Let's keep the thread focused on the subject. It's been a good thread with lots of constructive information being shared. Let's keep it that way.

....I really thought it was about IPAD on Regent...and I did not understand why the head cheerleader for

crystal was posting about IPADs on Regent Voyager. Maybe Suites will now give us her opinion too....

"lets keep focused on the threads original subject" must have been misunderstood by me.....

....I really thought it was about IPAD on Regent...and I did not understand why the head cheerleader for

crystal was posting about IPADs on Regent Voyager. Maybe Suites will now give us her opinion too....

"lets keep focused on the threads original subject" must have been misunderstood by me.....

Let me try again.

This thread is about an iPad. An iPad is not cruise line specific.

I sail on several cruise lines.

I speak highly of several cruise lines including many in the luxury category that I sail on .

I read and post on various cruise boards.

Suites is a male.

And, yes, I would recommend keeping the thread to its original subject which I find very interesting.

Edited by Keith1010

Disallowed meaning not installed on the Regent computers or disallowed meaning blocking use of Skype by our own computers?

Both, no installed on Regent computers and blocked if you try to use it on your own and due to lack of bandwidth on a satellite based internet.

Internet is slow enough on ships at sea and that is all cruise lines. Just one or two on skype would impose on dozens and dozens of people wanting to get e-mail or browse the internet. Easier to simply fine a wifi spot on land and skype from there. If you have smart phone, you don't even have to lug your laptop.

Both, no installed on Regent computers and blocked if you try to use it on your own and due to lack of bandwidth on a satellite based internet.

Internet is slow enough on ships at sea and that is all cruise lines. Just one or two on skype would impose on dozens and dozens of people wanting to get e-mail or browse the internet. Easier to simply fine a wifi spot on land and skype from there. If you have smart phone, you don't even have to lug your laptop.

Blocked by the firewall or unusably slow?

Edited by Linda_and_Bob

Blocked by the firewall or unusably slow?

Can't confidently answer your question but, would expect the firewall. Haven't tried it myself as we get an hour of free phone on Regent but, believe others stated that it was blocked and that would be a firewall. Going to try it on our next cruise and see what happens.

Would say that slow isn't the same as blocked and as I said, if it is because of being slow, one would be impacting many others which isn't a good thing.

Thanks Suite Travels. I suspected that Skype was not available on Regent while at sea as it would slow things down even further. With the majority of Regent passengers having free internet, there are certain times of the day when it is almost impossible to log on to CruiseCritic:eek:

TC, the ships can only get so much bandwidth and it also depends on the satellite location. Skype would be wonderful but not possible at this time. You are also right about the people using the Internet. This can max out the bandwidth and slow other people down trying to connect.

I think we would all like Skype while cruising. I think you can use it while in port as the ships usually turn off the satellite system that connects your phone and then you will be on the local cell provider. You are still able to use the Internet while in port but if you have a laptop or PAD you might be able to use Skype.

TC, you and Suite Travels are correct.

In short, Skype is a bandwidth hog and most of the cruise lines have figured out that just a few users can degrade the internet for the rest of the passengers.

Some cruise lines will remove the restriction during off peak hours such as 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM.

The challenge for all of the cruise lines is that Satellite is a very poor transmission medium for high speed communications.

I even remind people that for those who place international calls back in the 1980's and into the mid 1990's or before you used to have significant delay on those calls so having a conversation was challenging. You see it today on broadcast news shows. The reason we don't have much of that today is most calls are now carried on high capacity undersea cables.

The added challenge for the cruise lines is that it used to be that there were not many users for e mail let alone other internet applications. Many didn't even have or know how to use e mail. At the same time most people had dial up internet. Now so many people use and rely on e mail, surf the web and go to sites that require additional bandwidth, send and receive large files and have gotten spoiled with high speed at their homes.

If the ships could just be attached with fiber cable that would be the

solution. :D

Hopefully, one day new technology will come about to address this.

Keith

Sorry I am a bit of a Luddite, and I have have just learnt some basics about ipads, one being that its a great tool to play music on, just wondering if each of the ones in suite has a selection of music installed on it, if so what type, or should I bring my iPad or will that cause some other type of problem?

Totally off subject we are in an A grade penthouse, whilst I understand that each suite has a coffee maker, my wife was wondering if there a kettle so she can make tea, (yes we are British)

Regards

Marion and Kerry

Sorry I am a bit of a Luddite, and I have have just learnt some basics about ipads, one being that its a great tool to play music on, just wondering if each of the ones in suite has a selection of music installed on it, if so what type, or should I bring my iPad or will that cause some other type of problem?

Totally off subject we are in an A grade penthouse, whilst I understand that each suite has a coffee maker, my wife was wondering if there a kettle so she can make tea, (yes we are British)

Regards

Marion and Kerry

I don't think they allow kettles in the suites because of fire regulations.

As for Ipads, bring your own by all means if you have one. Much better than using someone else's, I would think.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

Those suites have an Ipod with speaker dock also. A better tool, I would think, for your music.

The coffee maker is one of the new concierge benefits, so no-one has any experience yet.

Ok thanks OrpingtonT, didn't realise it was new, be interesting to see what it is like, when it gets rolled out. I assume Marion will have to depend on room service for that early morning cuppa, hope it is quick because she's like bear with a sore head until she downs her first tea,

I just asked my butler to have my morning coffee delivered to me. Perfect every time The new PH coffee makers are Nespresso machines. We did not have one in our Seven Seas Aft Suite.

As for the newspapers, they are printed on 11x17 paper and my husband found them hard to read. I decided to subscribe on my Kindle and found it easy and was able to use the ships wireless to download it daily.

I just asked my butler to have my morning coffee delivered to me. Perfect every time The new PH coffee makers are Nespresso machines. We did not have one in our Seven Seas Aft Suite.

As for the newspapers, they are printed on 11x17 paper and my husband found them hard to read. I decided to subscribe on my Kindle and found it easy and was able to use the ships wireless to download it daily.

ChatKat in Ca - Was there a charge for the wireless in order to receive your newspaper on the Kindle? Jack Morris

There is a charge for wireless (we are talking WiFi here, not cellular wireless). Cellular is VERY expensive while at sea.

The cost for WiFi access is in the $.25-.55 per minute range (depending on how many minutes you buy). Internet is free after four sailings (used to be 21 nights, but that changed this year). Fortunately, we have sailed six times.

Wireless works especially well at the pool bar (at least that is my excuse!).

Internet is free after four sailings (used to be 21 nights, but that changed this year). Fortunately, we have sailed six times.

I think you are confusing Regent with another cruise line. I just got off the Navigator on Nov. 8th and the nights system was still being used. The website also does not indicate any change in the system from nights sailed to number of sailings.

Internet is free after four sailings (used to be 21 nights, but that changed this year).

OK, this is slightly off-topic, as this is more about Seven Seas Society benefits, but I'm confused by your statement above. Where did you get the "4 sailings" information? According to RSSC.com, the free internet still kicks in at 21 days.

I'm about to embark on my 2nd Regent sailing (not my fifth), but since they instituted the "your new tier benefits take effect on the first day of the cruise during which you transistion from one tier to the next" rule, and as my first was 14 days, and my upcoming one is 12 days (total 26 days), I'm expecting to get my free internet on this upcoming cruise.

Is this not right?

I think you are confusing Regent with another cruise line. I just got off the Navigator on Nov. 8th and the nights system was still being used. The website also does not indicate any change in the system from nights sailed to number of sailings.

Thanks, Dave. I think I was typing my question when you answered.

Amazon chages $4.95 for the 3g wireless internationally for the week. As I did it onboard, I do not know if there will be a charge by the satellite carrier. I did find it convenient to read the newspaper on the kindle vs the printed paper delivered to my suite which was awkward and bulky

Internet is free after four sailings (used to be 21 nights, but that changed this year).

Sorry everyone. I JUST finished commenting on a similar question on the Paul Gauguin. I forgot where I was for a moment.

They are similar (due to PG's history with Regent), but Regent is STILL free Internet for Silver or higher. Sorry for the Brain Fade...