Coffee card update

more cruises

The back of the card does not state that the person is entitled to unlimited brewed coffee as long as there is one punch left. This policy is not in writing on the card itself.
Nor will you find it on any promotional copy nor anywhere written. It's not a policy, period. Did servers do it? Sure. But that doesn't make it a policy. The only thing that appears to have changed is that Princess is more clearly defining the use and terms of the card. Which, I'm sure, most people who bought the card assumed was the case to start with. I doubt they expected unlimited, free coffee that others were being charged for without the card. Princess is a business, not a non-profit.

I don't think the intent was for unlimited brewed coffee for an unlimited number of months, years, etc. regardless of what the initial policy was.

I still think it is an abuse to push the policy as some people have (keeping a card for numerous cruises with only one punch on it to get the unlimited brewed coffee for an unlimited amount of time).

Result= the policy changes we are now discussing.

You can think whatever you like. As I say, Princess did not think this one out. The card could have easily had an expiration date on it. They're pretty good in doling out restrictions when it comes to alcohol and such so when they don't bother to set a restriction there is no reason to assume there is one. They gave away the store, so to speak, and probably now aren't seeing the coffee revenues they projected. So just like the alcohol policy changed to beef up revenue, so cometh the way of the coffee restriction. I have no problem with the policy change, by the way. This is nothing compared to what banks do.

It has got me beat how anyone, regardless of what they might think, that a coffee card bought/purchased on one ship can be used on the next cruise they take.

The card was purchased for one cruise, and if people got away with using it on more than one then they should be thankful. I believe that Princess Cruises have got this right. If they really wanted to make more money, they only need to get rid of both the coffee and soda cards and charge what they like for each and every coffee or soda.

I can not believe that there are people that would squabble over a $2 cup of coffee. Not too mention what would have to be a business decision.

Now, just what is the cost to build a cruise ship? What is the cost to run a cruise?

If you do not like it..... do not buy it. This goes for the cruise as well as the coffee card.

I have yet to see anywhere in writing that a card with one (or more) punches entitles the bearer to unlimited brewed coffee and hot tea for the life of the card.

Yes, this was a verbal policy for some years, but unless it is in writing, there is no way to prove it.

Time to ante up and buy a new card for each cruise you attend (if you want unlimited coffee/ tea).:)

It has got me beat how anyone, regardless of what they might think, that a coffee card bought/purchased on one ship can be used on the next cruise they take.

The card was purchased for one cruise, and if people got away with using it on more than one then they should be thankful. I believe that Princess Cruises have got this right. If they really wanted to make more money, they only need to get rid of both the coffee and soda cards and charge what they like for each and every coffee or soda.

I can not believe that there are people that would squabble over a $2 cup of coffee. Not too mention what would have to be a business decision.

Now, just what is the cost to build a cruise ship? What is the cost to run a cruise?

If you do not like it..... do not buy it. This goes for the cruise as well as the coffee card.

Some of the differences here are due to the fact that the "coffee card" is actually two offers on one piece o paper: the "specialty coffee ofter" = - measured by the number of punches on the card - and the "brewed coffee offer" which has worked up until now one way, and will now work another way. Terms of the first are clear: you get fifteen (or whatever number on the particular card you purchase) whenever and on whatever ship you will be sailing on. This will continue to be true, and old cards with punches will be honored for that part of the deal. The "brewed coffee" deal: well, that is changing. Doesn't matter whether or not I like it - nobody asked me for my vote :D.

As far as Princess "suddenly" charging for what had been "free"? Think of it like the tapas/sushi at Vines. Although you don't actually pay for them, there is now a condition attached which was not in the past.

All the discussion about whether or not Princess "should" supply a decent cup id coffee included in the fare is in a way irrelevant: the price (over the long term) of a cup of brewed coffee has gone up. So what else is new?

Let me add that I am a heavy coffee drinker - four or more cups of brewed a day - and the new regulations don't faze me a bit. If you look at the price of specialty coffees (which DW has at least once a day) you'll see that the brewed coffee s just about "free" anyway.

Shalom, Andy.

As long as Princess will honour the 7 punches I still have left on my card from my last cruise for specialty coffee (i.e. Latte, cappucino, etc.) on my next cruise, then I'm fine with buying a new card as well.

I am a tea drinker but I love my latte so as long as my old card is honored for those thats fine by me......:)

we buy a card on every cruise we sail on and if we have one unpunched hole left on it we bin it .

with the way princess is going if a few folks abuse the system they,ll take away the free tea , coffe and hot chocolate .

nothing is forever im afraid and we should,nt expect it to be that way

The cost of coffee would double the cruise faRE!!! Didn't know the price of coffee had gone up that much. oh my gosh I guess we all will have to start drinking just water.

Check out the price of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. It could only be served on an unlimited basis on a luxury cruise line.

It would be nice to dispel with all of the snarky, mean, and rude comments. If someone is conveying information let’s not harpoon the messenger of information with personal opinion.

The intent of my post was to merely report the implementation of the new policy. Sorry for the typo as I meant to say the 11/8 sailing and the use of the word outrage was probably a little too harsh. I was merely expressing frustration that the policy was implemented in the middle of a cruise, there was no notice such as putting something in the Patter regarding the use of the old cards and that none of the staff was knowledgeable about the policy. All I was told was that they had to punch the old card for any item including brewed coffee, buy a new card, or purchase the brewed coffee. The staff indicated that the only option relating to the old card is to use up the punches for either brewed or specialty coffee.

Upon further investigation, the new cards are being offered at $29 (cited as a 20 percent savings) and it’s good for 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed and teas. The reverse of the card states that unused punches for specialty coffees can be used on future cruises, however, it clearly states that for unlimited brewed coffee and teas are only available on the cruise for which the card was purchased. There are two spaces on the rear of the card to identify the ship and the voyage number.

I will miss the loophole because after all of these cruises, we purchased our first card ever last month and was looking forward to the loophole. We thought it was a great deal because it included the fresh brewed coffee and could care less about the specialty coffee. On our last 10 day, we ordered about 13 cups of brewed (only wife drinks coffee). So, if at $1 or even $2 per cup, it is still cheaper for us to buy them individually. Perhaps Princess should introduce a brewed coffee only card?

Even when the loophole is taken advantage of, it is not like Princess is not making money off you. You still have to purchase a fare to get onboard to use the card. :rolleyes:

It would be nice to dispel with all of the snarky, mean, and rude comments. If someone is conveying information let’s not harpoon the messenger of information with personal opinion.

The intent of my post was to merely report the implementation of the new policy. Sorry for the typo as I meant to say the 11/8 sailing and the use of the word outrage was probably a little too harsh. I was merely expressing frustration that the policy was implemented in the middle of a cruise, there was no notice such as putting something in the Patter regarding the use of the old cards and that none of the staff was knowledgeable about the policy. All I was told was that they had to punch the old card for any item including brewed coffee, buy a new card, or purchase the brewed coffee. The staff indicated that the only option relating to the old card is to use up the punches for either brewed or specialty coffee.

Upon further investigation, the new cards are being offered at $29 (cited as a 20 percent savings) and it’s good for 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed and teas. The reverse of the card states that unused punches for specialty coffees can be used on future cruises, however, it clearly states that for unlimited brewed coffee and teas are only available on the cruise for which the card was purchased. There are two spaces on the rear of the card to identify the ship and the voyage number.

Thank you. This post was very helpful. The new, stated policy makes perfect sense to me. Enjoy your cruise.:)

:D

Thanks for sharing the updates on the card & my apologies for having some doubts created by the conflicting dates. :o

Have a great cruise! :D

Here's a post from another coffee card thread from a passenger currently sailing on the Emerald...

The new cards are being offered at $29 (cited as a 20 percent savings) and it’s good for 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed and teas. The reverse of the card states that unused punches for specialty coffees can be used on future cruises, however, it clearly states that for unlimited brewed coffee and teas are only available on the cruise for which the card was purchased. There are two spaces on the rear of the card to identify the ship and the voyage number.

Another thing I wanted to mention is, that the brewed coffee was free at the IC after midnight, when the Horizon was shut down, along with lemonade and ice tea.
That's nice to know. I was wondering how they were going to handle drinks at the IC when the HC is closed. On the Sapphire there was no IC on our September cruise but the beverage dispensers were open for coffee, hot water and iced tea even when the HC was closed. Wouldn't want to need to go to the Lido deck for a "free" beverage and then to Plaza deck for a late night snack at the IC.

Next year will be first time on Princess Cruise. Do I understand correctly, you have to pay for coffee like the Buffet or dining rooms, room service, ortherwise you get insant coffee?

You only have to pay extra for specialty coffee drinks or brewed coffee and a coffee card is beneficial for both. Coffee everywhere else is free but is made from a reconstituted coffee concentrate...some are okay with it while others seek other ways to enjoy their coffee. For me the free coffee is okay but will use my coffee card if I want to get brewed coffee which is only available in the International Cafe or Lobby Bar. Some bring Starbucks VIA instant coffee to add to the free coffee but I've never done it.

We've booked our first 27 day cruise on Princess and though I've skimmed thru' all the posts in this thread I still don't understand the benefits of a coffee card to someone with limited 'drinking habits'.

• We like real/brewed coffee for breakfast and we would usually go to the dining room for this meal. What is offered? With a card? Without one?
  • Is brewed decaf coffee available in the diningroom at dinner?
  • If it turns out we need a card to get brewed coffee, is it available for breakfast and dinner in the dining room?
  • As I understand after the first punch for brewed, it's only punched again for speciality coffees outside diningrooms. If this is the case we'd be stuck with a one punch card or could we buy one card and both of us have it punched once for unlimited brewed coffee?

Neither of us needs coffee between meals. Am I correct that I'd only purchase a card for speciality coffees?

Needless to say I won't be digging an old card out of the family archives.

Thanks in advance for a concise summary. Of course you might comment that had I just had a strong caffeine fix I'd be able to sort this out from the postings.

Ruth

We've booked our first 27 day cruise on Princess and though I've skimmed thru' all the posts in this thread I still don't understand the benefits of a coffee card to someone with limited 'drinking habits'.

• We like real/brewed coffee for breakfast and we would usually go to the dining room for this meal. What is offered? With a card? Without one?
  • Is brewed decaf coffee available in the diningroom at dinner?
  • If it turns out we need a card to get brewed coffee, is it available for breakfast and dinner in the dining room?
  • As I understand after the first punch for brewed, it's only punched again for speciality coffees outside diningrooms. If this is the case we'd be stuck with a one punch card or could we buy one card and both of us have it punched once for unlimited brewed coffee?

Neither of us needs coffee between meals. Am I correct that I'd only purchase a card for speciality coffees?

Needless to say I won't be digging an old card out of the family archives.

Thanks in advance for a concise summary. Of course you might comment that had I just had a strong caffeine fix I'd be able to sort this out from the postings.

Ruth

There may not be a benefit of a coffee card for someone who is not a huge coffee drinker or particular about their coffee. Don't worry about a coffee card yet. Many of us think the coffee in the dining room and buffet is just fine. No coffee card needed for the standard coffee that is served with meals or in the buffet. The room service coffee is also free...no card needed.

Some people do not like the standard coffee and prefer the coffee from the IC. It is brewed coffee. The free coffee is from a concentrate. Without a coffee card, it is $1 per good sized cup. If you buy a coffee card, there are 15 punches good for specialty coffees (example: lattes, cappacino's) and for that cruise, all the brewed coffee from the International Cafe is free.

If you don't like specialty coffees and you like the coffee in the dining rooms, buffet and room service, then don't get a card and ignore this discussion. If you really enjoy a latte, frappacino or cappuccino, then the coffee card is a good value. Only you can decide if the coffee card is a good value for you.

If you want an occasional specialty coffee or occasional brewed coffee from the IC, you can still get them, but there is an extra fee. The card just gives a bit of an extra value for those of us who really enjoy a specialty coffee.

My wife and I are on the 10 day 11/5 sailing of the Emerald. Since 11/5 we have gotten free brewed coffee at the I/C with our prior coffee cards. However, today we were informed that al old cards would be punched one time for any free coffee or tea. Truly an outrage and a failure to live up to the original premise of selling the card.

An "outrage"? Please, the coffee costs a buck a cup. Get real!

I am fine with the coffee in the buffet, dining room, and room service. I may get a few brewed coffees in the IC when convenient and may have a couple of foo-foo coffees on a 7 night or possible 3 on a 10 night so the price of a coffee card is not worth it to me. DH will never use it. I don't go out of my way to have Starbucks at home & seldom have fancy coffee drinks and will probably not change that during the cruise.

The intent of my post was to merely report the implementation of the new policy. Sorry for the typo as I meant to say the 11/8 sailing and the use of the word outrage was probably a little too harsh. I was merely expressing frustration that the policy was implemented in the middle of a cruise, there was no notice such as putting something in the Patter regarding the use of the old cards and that none of the staff was knowledgeable about the policy.

An "outrage"? Please, the coffee costs a buck a cup. Get real!

Please note that the OP has apologized for the use of the word "outrage" and he went on the explain the new policy in a very clear way. I agree that it was unfortunate that Princess chose to change their practice regarding the coffee card mid-cruise. the new cards and policy should have been implemented at the beginning of the next cruise to avoid confusion.

Some people do not like the standard coffee and prefer the coffee from the IC. It is brewed coffee. The free coffee is from a concentrate. Without a coffee card, it is $1 per good sized cup.

Current pricing:

$1.25 for a small 12 ounce

$1.75 for a large 16 ounce

plus 15% gratuity

Archived