Ever bid on a first-class plane ticket to port?

love2relax

Has anyone ever successfully bid on a first class flight for less than retail prices? There are three of us trying to get to Seattle (preferably Vancouver) for our cruise next summer.

We want to fly first class, but the cheapest we have found is close to $485. I have never bid on a flight, but for those of you that have: have your ever bought a first class ticket? I would like to aim at $385 or $400. Is that too low?

Has anyone ever successfully bid on a first class flight for less than retail prices? There are three of us trying to get to Seattle (preferably Vancouver) for our cruise next summer.

We want to fly first class, but the cheapest we have found is close to $485. I have never bid on a flight, but for those of you that have: have your ever bought a first class ticket? I would like to aim at $385 or $400. Is that too low?

1. From where??

2. Domestic first class is NOT that attractive if the flight is short (and at $485, it would be a pretty short flight). Yes, you get free booze and MAYBE a full meal (but on a short flight, it may be only a glorified snack). What kind of plane??? That could make a HUGE difference. They hang up your coat (or are supposed to). You get a bigger seat and get to board first. I fly domestic first a lot (free upgrades). Would I pay for a short flight if the cost difference was a couple of hundred dollars? No way. I would take the exit row in economy (even if I had to pay a few dollars extra for it), pay the $10-20 for drinks and buy food at the airport if I really needed to eat.

International first or business and a FEW transcontinental flights (AA 10 and 30 I am thinking of specifically)-a WHOLE different ballgame. But the cost difference between AA 10/30 (which is LAX to JFK) between economy and the cheapest first class you can buy is about $1500.00. So for $485 in first class, you can't be going far.

3. If you are speaking about something like Priceline bidding, please be aware that you could be on any plane from VERY early in the morning to pretty late at night.

3. If you are speaking about something like Priceline bidding, please be aware that you could be on any plane from VERY early in the morning to pretty late at night.

I'm pretty sure Priceline only allows bidding on economy class anyway.

But the key is from where are you flying, and when. Flights into cruise ports in cruise season tend to be quite full, and discount deals scarce.

I wasn't asking for help finding a flight, or for information on first class flights. I only wanted to know if anyone had ever been successful bidding at less than full fare on a site like Priceline. Now I have learned that the answer is no. Thank you to all of you who posted.

I was looking at a one way flight. I priced some between southern CA (and also San Francisco Bay Area) to Vancouver and Seattle, so the flights are quite short.

I have flown first class quite a bit. I could care less about the drinks and food. For me, it's all about the space. I have bad knees that can be quite painful, to the point of not being able to walk very well after sitting for an hour, unable to move my legs. I flew coach the last three times I flew back and forth between southern and northern CA; and I swore that I would try to avoid it at all costs in the future. Two times, the person in front of me laid their seat back as far as it would go. I was in the middle seat on both flights, so I couldn't really stretch out my legs and move them. I didn't want to ask them to sit straight up like I do because I'm sure they were trying to get comfortable too.

Every one has their issues, and a crowded three seat across seating is just too close for my comfort level. I like my leg space and an armrest to myself. I did fly back from Anchorage last summer on an airline where I purchased "even more legroom" for a $40 premium. That was worth every penny because the flight was not full and I was able to move over to the aisle while my brother sat by the window. It was heavenly!

Most of my first class seats have been on domestic flights of 5 hours or less. I have never had to spend more than $800. I even thought about trying to buy two seats for myself in coach, but they only allow that if you're of substanstial size. I was just wondering because I am also paying for my brother's seat, and I was trying to cut expenses. I was unaware that Priceline did not allow bids on first class seats since I have never made a bid on a flight before. Thanks for the information.

Please don't attack me for the way I feel about flights and don't tell me to book a seat on the aisle. There are reasons why I have to sit where I do that I do not want to share on this forum. Coach just isn't for me any more. I need my space. I don't want to arrive to the cruise terminal with creaky knees and in a grumpy mood.... because I live for cruising! I don't really have any knee problems as long as I keep moving. I try to cruise locally as much as possible, but cruising on the "left coast" isn't always that exciting.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Please don't attack me for the way I feel about flights and don't tell me to book a seat on the aisle. There are reasons why I have to sit where I do that I do not want to share on this forum.
But if you had been a bit more forthcoming with some basic information, such as the fact that you are starting from California and that you're only looking for a one-way flight, it might have been easier for those who know to advise you, particularly when you were asking for advice about specific prices that you had seen and wanted to pay.

What site are you looking at where you can bid for these tickets?

OP, please do not get defensive about wanting to sit in First. Hell, I want to sit up front all the time regardless how short the flight is and have no reason to explain why to anyone here (most all of the reg posters here fly up front anyways;)).

If your bidding isn't going to work out I'm sure many here can give you suggestions how to sit up front for a reasonable amount of $ if you give very specific information (like dates and route).

Good luck,

John

That was quite the missive.

I even thought about trying to buy two seats for myself in coach, but they only allow that if you're of substanstial size.

Not true. Any US airline at least will allow you to purchase two seats. There is no size requirement. Call customer service for help; they will not care about your reasons for doing so.

Ouch! I was asking about the dollar amount because I didn't want to make a crazy bid.....but I learned that I can't bid on a first class seat. Thanks to everyone that tried to help. I'm done here. Perhaps the moderators will remove this thread.

No idea what the "ouch" is for. If you feel a post here is in violation of board policies, you can report it and ask it be removed, but I see nothing that is against any board policies, or that would cause the moderators to remove this thread.

You were provided with good information, and I'm not sure what you are taking umbrage to. Everyone has different posting styles, but no one insulted you.

IMO, two very useful bits of information were clarified in this thread:

1) Priceline bids for flights are limited to coach tickets and

2) For whatever the reason, a person may purchase an extra seat to guarantee that there will be an empty seat next to them. This thread from the Delta board on Flyertalk gives some insight into the procedure: How do you book 2 seats for one person?

This information may prove useful to others - is not the point of this forum the sharing and dissemination of information? These are reasons that this thread should definitely not be removed.

Ouch! I was asking about the dollar amount because I didn't want to make a crazy bid.....but I learned that I can't bid on a first class seat. Thanks to everyone that tried to help. I'm done here. Perhaps the moderators will remove this thread.

I think everyone tried to help and honestly nobody cares why you want to sit in First. Your taking things very personally when nothing was intended that way.Maybe you were just tired.

1. From where??

2. Domestic first class is NOT that attractive if the flight is short (and at $485, it would be a pretty short flight). Yes, you get free booze and MAYBE a full meal (but on a short flight, it may be only a glorified snack). What kind of plane??? That could make a HUGE difference. They hang up your coat (or are supposed to). You get a bigger seat and get to board first. I fly domestic first a lot (free upgrades). Would I pay for a short flight if the cost difference was a couple of hundred dollars? No way. I would take the exit row in economy (even if I had to pay a few dollars extra for it), pay the $10-20 for drinks and buy food at the airport if I really needed to eat.

International first or business and a FEW transcontinental flights (AA 10 and 30 I am thinking of specifically)-a WHOLE different ballgame. But the cost difference between AA 10/30 (which is LAX to JFK) between economy and the cheapest first class you can buy is about $1500.00. So for $485 in first class, you can't be going far.

No access to airline airport clubs, either (just with international first or biz), I believe. On our last fc flight from CLT to LAX, didn't even have any video or audio system. Better than coach, to be sure, but not like international (e.g., US Airways lie-flat bed seats on a 767).

No access to airline airport clubs, either (just with international first or biz), I believe. On our last fc flight from CLT to LAX, didn't even have any video or audio system. Better than coach, to be sure, but not like international (e.g., US Airways lie-flat bed seats on a 767).

That's because you flew US Airways.

A domestic first class ticket between LAX and JFK on American, for example, gets you lounge access, a near lie-flat seat and personal TV.

That's because you flew US Airways.

A domestic first class ticket between LAX and JFK on American, for example, gets you lounge access, a near lie-flat seat and personal TV.

The key to lounge access on AA is PAID F/J tickets.

I fly AA 10 or 30 just about monthly. Sometimes in J, once in a while in F, always on an upgrade (status). Once in a while I get to use the lounge just by virtue of my boarding pass. But that is also why I have an Admiral's Club membership because I fly so much on upgrades. Most of the time you can't get into the AC with an upgraded DOMESTIC ticket. So if you are flying first/biz on an upgrade on ANY AA flight (like DFW to JFK, ORD to JFK, even MCI to DFW), you cannot use the lounge UNLESS it is part of an international flight.

... So if you are flying first/biz on an upgrade on ANY AA flight (like DFW to JFK, ORD to JFK, even MCI to DFW), you cannot use the lounge UNLESS it is part of an international flight.

True for AC members but not totally true for others who are saphire or emerald level members of most other oneworld ff programs such Qantas.

Our status gives us access to Admirals Clubs/Flagship Lounges, wherever we are flying and in whatever class on AA, just as AA members of the same status have access to the Qantas equivalent in Australia when flying Qantas or another oneworld partner.

True for AC members but not totally true for others who are saphire or emerald level members of most other oneworld ff programs such Qantas.

Our status gives us access to Admirals Clubs/Flagship Lounges, wherever we are flying and in whatever class on AA, just as AA members of the same status have access to the Qantas equivalent in Australia when flying Qantas or another oneworld partner.

News to me UNLESS your ticket is part of an INTERNATIONAL ticket. Then, yes, One World members have access to any lounge that will let you in (some won't due to capacity controls and BA at Heathrow gets a little snippy at times if you have a multiple class ticket-first from Kuwait City and then business from LHR to the USA-I wanted to access the Concorde lounge and they said NO).

For a STRICTLY domestic ticket IN THE USA-ie, ORD to DFW, DFW to JFK, etc, etc. NOT connected to an international ticket, no matter what status you have, you can't get into the lounges IF you are on an upgrade. A PAID ticket, yes. Upgrade whether with miles, status or maybe a freebie from the gate agent or one of those last minute paid upgrades, not to my knowledge.

News to me UNLESS your ticket is part of an INTERNATIONAL ticket. Then, yes, One World members have access to any lounge that will let you in (some won't due to capacity controls and BA at Heathrow gets a little snippy at times if you have a multiple class ticket-first from Kuwait City and then business from LHR to the USA-I wanted to access the Concorde lounge and they said NO).

For a STRICTLY domestic ticket IN THE USA-ie, ORD to DFW, DFW to JFK, etc, etc. NOT connected to an international ticket, no matter what status you have, you can't get into the lounges IF you are on an upgrade. A PAID ticket, yes. Upgrade whether with miles, status or maybe a freebie from the gate agent or one of those last minute paid upgrades, not to my knowledge.

No, turtlemichael is correct. Elites in other Oneworld FF programs (Sapphire and Emerald) have unrestricted access to Admirals Clubs (and Flagship lounges for Emeralds) when flying on any AA itinerary, and regardless of the fare classification of the ticket, just like AA Plats and EXPs have access to the others' lounges at their airports.

Scroll down to the bottom table here: http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/airportAmenities/AdmiralsLoungeAccess.jsp&v_locale=en_US&v_mobileUAFlag=AA&v_aadvNum=3M5J414&v_aadvTier=P

It's one of the real perks that comes from having status in two OW programs.

No, turtlemichael is correct. Elites in other Oneworld FF programs (Sapphire and Emerald) have unrestricted access to Admirals Clubs (and Flagship lounges for Emeralds) when flying on any AA itinerary, and regardless of the fare classification of the ticket, just like AA Plats and EXPs have access to the others' lounges at their airports.

Scroll down to the bottom table here: http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/airportAmenities/AdmiralsLoungeAccess.jsp&v_locale=en_US&v_mobileUAFlag=AA&v_aadvNum=3M5J414&v_aadvTier=P

It's one of the real perks that comes from having status in two OW programs.

I guess I simply don't understand. I am AA EXP-OneWorld Emerald. So you are saying I can I fly from LAX to JFK and then I can go into the BA lounge at JFK (I can't even get into the AA lounge even with a first boarding pass unless it is PAID first without my AC membership except on rare occasions). Flight ENDS at JFK, NOT to someplace else. NO INTERNATIONAL connections.

OR what you are saying is I have access at LHR, SYD, HKG or any other One World airline lounge OUTSIDE THE USE even if I flew in on the cheapest I could get coach ticket? THAT I will agree with.

OR that I need to have status with TWO OneWorld Airlines and THEN I can access any lounge no matter what class I fly on a DOMESTIC USA flight??? Am I still going to get my free upgrades space available on DOMESTIC flights? Are you saying I should start putting miles to LAN, Cathay or BA??? I have more than enough AA miles to last me for a long, long time (well over 1,000,000).

Help me out here-if I am missing out on some "goodies", maybe I should change my thinking.

I guess I simply don't understand. I am AA EXP-OneWorld Emerald. So you are saying I can I fly from LAX to JFK and then I can go into the BA lounge at JFK (I can't even get into the AA lounge even with a first boarding pass unless it is PAID first without my AC membership except on rare occasions). Flight ENDS at JFK, NOT to someplace else. NO INTERNATIONAL connections.
No I'm not saying that. The table covers American's lounge admit policies, not BA's. (BA won't admit you in this instance).

OR what you are saying is I have access at LHR, SYD, HKG or any other One World airline lounge OUTSIDE THE USE even if I flew in on the cheapest I could get coach ticket? THAT I will agree with.
Yes, we agree.

OR that I need to have status with TWO OneWorld Airlines and THEN I can access any lounge no matter what class I fly on a DOMESTIC USA flight??? Am I still going to get my free upgrades space available on DOMESTIC flights? Are you saying I should start putting miles to LAN, Cathay or BA??? I have more than enough AA miles to last me for a long, long time (well over 1,000,000).
Yes, that's what I'm saying. If you have Sapphire/Emerald status with another airline, even though you're flying on Eagle from Dallas to Waco, you can use the AC.

Help me out here-if I am missing out on some "goodies", maybe I should change my thinking.
There's a thread on FT (Oneworld board) regarding Malev status-matching up to Emerald, with just one MA flight.

The AA scheme has some great advantages over other oneworld schemes but lounge membership is not one of them! I guess it is a question of priorities.

I would also add that I am yet to get excited about entering an Admiral's Club anywhere :eek: I can get excited about the Cathay lounges in Hong Kong, Galleries First in Terminal 5 at Heathrow or the Qantas lounges in Sydney.

Gardyloo is correct that if you fly enough there are some good pluses to being in two schemes.

Archived