Has anyone bought the "Excite the Senses" cookbook?

Gardyloo2

I purchased it as my shipboard souvenir. I may never make anything out of it but I enjoy collecting cookbooks, it does have fantastic photos and I purchased it at one of the cooking demonstrations so that the executive chef and 2 of the other chefs were able to sign it. The 2 chefs signed on the pages of the recipes they demo'd. I paged through it several weeks after I returned home and reading about the recipes and the various venues brought back fun memories.

K

• 1 month later...

oops.. I posted to a much shorter thread about the cookbooko but see there is more info here-- guess we'll be looking for that on board... it's pricey but sounds very nice! DH would enjoy it & that's great idea about getting it signed by the chefs!

we were recently told our Silho cruise is an Excite the Senses theme cruise-- what is that exactly & what do they offer that is not an upcharge?

Edited by hcat

I read the book cover to cover as they left one on a stand one evening on the Solstice in December. It has stunning high definition pictures and does entice you in to buying the book. Half of the 200 or so pages are photos. Then you have to ask "do i really want this"? and "can I actually make these recipes"?

If you are a passionate cook at home and can cook everything from a sea bass to a beef wellington then you may like it.

Otherwise it is a very clever marketing too by Celebrity to get you to part with $59 for a half picture book and half I wish I could do this book.

By the way over December Celebrity dropped the price to $49 on board.

• 4 months later...

I could kill for the recipe for the butternut squash soup I had in the MDR. The book is still $59.95 but I dread to think what postage to UK would be and I can't pay that much when that recipe might not even be in there!

I could kill for the recipe for the butternut squash soup I had in the MDR. The book is still $59.95 but I dread to think what postage to UK would be and I can't pay that much when that recipe might not even be in there!

It's not in the book... sorry that I could not scan it for you.

One other way to get the book is the following: it's from an earlier post of mine this year.

We were on the Equinox in March. I had read about an intriguing cooking class in Murano's in a review of an earlier cruise on the Equinox. The day we boarded, I had forgotten about it, but we met a waiter from Murano's whom we knew from former dinners in the specialty restaurant) down in the Atrium and were chatting with him. He mentioned the cooking class , and said that at that point (mind you, this was about 2:00 on embarkation day) there were only two spots left! My girlfriend and I had talked about doing the class before the cruise (figuring the husbands might not be too interested), and she and I headed down to Murano's to sign up, and indeed, got the last two of the 12 spots. The cost for the class was $99, and it was held the last day of the cruise. It was a great experience. Loved seeing the kitchen, getting to work in the kitchen of Murano's, meeting the Head Chef and talking to him, and working with a wonderful young lady sous chef. The class was broken down into four groups, and each group prepared something different. After the food preparation was done, we headed back into Murano's for a wonderful lunch, including the dishes that the class prepared, along with wine and dessert. After lunch was over, we were given a copy of the cookbook "Excite the Senses", to take home. (The cook book is more of a coffee table book, but it is gorgeous, and HUGE. It weighs almost nine pounds... had to go into the carry on luggage to make it home!).

I have not made anything out of the cookbook yet, too busy enjoying summer, but there are some doable recipes in there that don't require a ton of ingredients and pots and pans. It is a great souvenir of our trip. I would do the class again for the experience. Without the cookbook, I think the cost was $39, but not too sure.

They were flogging it for $75. on our Millennium cruise last September. We are on the Silhouette in Oct. so it will be interesting to see what the price is. We gave it a quick once over. Seemed very much like an ad for Celebrity. We did not need to pay for an advert...we get enough junk mail.

we checked it out on our Silho cruise-- although it has nice photos, it did not seem as useful as a cookbook so we passed it by!

They have probably dropped the price to move it --so the new chef can create his/her own.

I am trying to buy another copy - you said you used opc to purchase it - what does opc stand for

Hi, I think they meant to say obc...on board credit.

I heard there is some activity offered on Equinox where YOU cook a meal in either Murano or the steak restaurant ???. It costs about 100 per person, they only take 10-15 people and it's a lunch type activity on a port day. Anyway, can't remember who wrote about it (might be LoisR on her Med. cruise in June). Anyway, it was mentioned that you got a Celebrity Cookbook as a take home gift. I wonder if it was this particular book?

I heard there is some activity offered on Equinox where YOU cook a meal in either Murano or the steak restaurant ???. It costs about 100 per person, they only take 10-15 people and it's a lunch type activity on a port day. Anyway, can't remember who wrote about it (might be LoisR on her Med. cruise in June). Anyway, it was mentioned that you got a Celebrity Cookbook as a take home gift. I wonder if it was this particular book?

Hi,:) yes it was me. I was on Equinox in May and this lunch was

offered on the 2nd sea day and yes, the cookbook was part of the

event.

Hi,:) yes it was me. I was on Equinox in May and this lunch was

offered on the 2nd sea day and yes, the cookbook was part of the

event.

Hi Lois R,

Can't believe you saw this and I'm so happy you confirmed it. Your such a great poster and I'm happy to share your advice. What restaurant was it? I'm crossing fingers that we might do this.

Micki

One other way to get the book is the following: it's from an earlier post of mine this year.

We were on the Equinox in March. I had read about an intriguing cooking class in Murano's in a review of an earlier cruise on the Equinox. The day we boarded, I had forgotten about it, but we met a waiter from Murano's whom we knew from former dinners in the specialty restaurant) down in the Atrium and were chatting with him. He mentioned the cooking class , and said that at that point (mind you, this was about 2:00 on embarkation day) there were only two spots left! My girlfriend and I had talked about doing the class before the cruise (figuring the husbands might not be too interested), and she and I headed down to Murano's to sign up, and indeed, got the last two of the 12 spots. The cost for the class was $99, and it was held the last day of the cruise. It was a great experience. Loved seeing the kitchen, getting to work in the kitchen of Murano's, meeting the Head Chef and talking to him, and working with a wonderful young lady sous chef. The class was broken down into four groups, and each group prepared something different. After the food preparation was done, we headed back into Murano's for a wonderful lunch, including the dishes that the class prepared, along with wine and dessert. After lunch was over, we were given a copy of the cookbook "Excite the Senses", to take home. (The cook book is more of a coffee table book, but it is gorgeous, and HUGE. It weighs almost nine pounds... had to go into the carry on luggage to make it home!).

I have not made anything out of the cookbook yet, too busy enjoying summer, but there are some doable recipes in there that don't require a ton of ingredients and pots and pans. It is a great souvenir of our trip. I would do the class again for the experience. Without the cookbook, I think the cost was $39, but not too sure.

Did you EACH get the cookbook? Not sure I can see them offering the cooking and eating/drinking minus book for 39 dollars. I'm "guessing" it's 100 each per couple.......with one cookbook ???

Edited by SilverDollarDoll

Hi Lois R,

Can't believe you saw this and I'm so happy you confirmed it. Your such a great poster and I'm happy to share your advice. What restaurant was it? I'm crossing fingers that we might do this.

Micki

Thanks for the kind words:)

I believe they had the lunch in Murano.

Did you EACH get the cookbook? Not sure I can see them offering the cooking and eating/drinking minus book for 39 dollars. I'm "guessing" it's 100 each per couple.......with one cookbook ???

My girlfriend and I did the class together, and both paid the $99 fee for it, so we both got the book. Had my husband wanted to go, :rolleyes:, he could have taken the class for the $39 fee. So it would have been $138 for my husband and I to go. I found out about this class in reading a review before we went on the Equinox in March... signed up for it, and did the class.

It was great.

Here's a link to the earlier thread about it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1615277

Glad you did the class too, Lois. I thoroughly enjoyed it; hope you did too. Ours was on the last day of the cruise; makes much more sense to offer it earlier in the cruise; if they wanted to, they could offer it twice if time on the cruise allowed to give more people the opportunity to take the class.

Edited by Cruiser Susie

• 1 year later...

I've been tempted to buy the book also. I still dream of the lemon cream ravioli I had on the Equinox in 2010. If the recipe is in there, I'll order it tonight. Could you tell me if its in there?

Thank you for checking!

Bev

I'm so disappointed that I didn't see the cookbook while onboard to purchase it. I am looking for the cheesecake recipe they served in the main dining room. Can anyone post it for me if it's in the book. Thank you.

Actually, there is a Cheesecake Recipe in the cookbook; it's in the Oceanview Cafe section. I usually eat in Blu, although I have dined in the MDR for lunch, sometimes. I think that the desserts that are available in the Oceanview Cafe have been also available in the MDR. I'm sure that someone, who knows more than I, will correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to whet your appetite. Here is the Classic Cheesecake recipe.

Cake Base.

5 ounces graham cracker crumbs

2 ounces granulated sugar

2 ounces butter (unsalted, melted)

Cheesecake Filling.

21 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 tsp vanilla extract

5 ounces granulated sugar

2 tsp fresh lemon juice

5 large whole eggs

4 ounces sour cream

Garnish.

3 Tbsp powdered sugar

As needed popcorn

3 ounces mixed berries

10 chocolate curls

3 Tbsp chocolate sauce

Method.

For the cake base, preheat oven to 400F (200C). Combine all the cake base ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. Place 1/4-inch mixture in a 6-inch by 2-inch round mold. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and reserve.

For the cheesecake filling, preheat oven to 220F (105C). Mix the cream cheese, vanilla extract, granulated sugar and lemon juice until smooth consistency. Then add the eggs one by one and finally the sour cream little by little while stirring. Place in the cake base mold. Bake bain-marie or water-bath style for at least 2-1/2 hours.

To serve, cut the cheesecake into 6 portions. Sprinkle with the powdered sugar, then caramelize the top of the cheesecake with a creme brûlée torch. Torch the popcorn to caramelize. Place portions on plates. Decorate plated with berries, chocolate curls, chocolate sauce and popcorn.

Does this sound, at all, familiar to what you've experienced upon presentation? I think the popcorn :confused: would be a dead-giveaway in the garnish department; if you've seen popcorn on your plate, I'm pretty sure this is the recipe. I, personally, have never eaten cheesecake from the MDR.

I have, over the years, received several recipes from the chefs on board. They've all been exceptional, although some of them definitely have to be sized so that I don't end up making enough to feed my neighborhood. Also, they tend to have very cryptic statements, like "to taste," or "as needed." A lot of wonderful flavors, though.

And I wouldn't be intimidated by the cookbook. I wouldn't consider myself beyond an amateur cook in a home kitchen, and the recipes are very approachable IMO. For those of you with the cookbook who couldn't find the Cheesecake Recipe, look on page #200. Unfortunately, the Recipe Index is alphabetized by the recipe name(s), not the generic description; i.e., Classic Cheesecake is what you have to look for, instead of (simply) Cheesecake in the index. FYI, for what it's worth.