Europe Cruises 2012-anyone else worried?

stargaza

It all depends on how you define Poverty. Do a google search and see how many of those people living in "poverty" have cars, flat screen tvs, air conditioning, etc., etc. Also, check the percentage of those 16% who are overweight to obese - they aren't starving. US poverty isn't like that in Africa, India, etc.

Quite true - it's just a number relative to the average wage. From Wikipedia: the poverty level in the US for 2011 was set at $22,350 (total yearly income) for a family of four.

There are pockets of real poverty, but for the most part, not the kind of poverty I've seen in other parts of the world.

I was wondering what the criteria they used for poverty. I sort of gathered that "povery" in the US wouldn't be the same as "poverty" in India or Africa.

Quite true - it's just a number relative to the average wage. From Wikipedia: the poverty level in the US for 2011 was set at $22,350 (total yearly income) for a family of four.

Thats not much money to live on for a family of four.

The upcoming year is probably a good time to plan a European cruise. I would think that cruises to Greece and Italy and Spain should be bargains. Many people who are thinking and booking now for Europe will likely decide to visit the presumed safer choices financially and politically speaking. I would do some research now and hold out until spring to book though.

The upcoming year is probably a good time to plan a European cruise. I would think that cruises to Greece and Italy and Spain should be bargains. Many people who are thinking and booking now for Europe will likely decide to visit the presumed safer choices financially and politically speaking. I would do some research now and hold out until spring to book though.

There again, it might be that European cruisers decide not to venture too far from their own backyard, and remain in Europe for their cruises, instead of further afield.

Jo.

There again, it might be that European cruisers decide not to venture too far from their own backyard, and remain in Europe for their cruises, instead of further afield.

Jo.

Could be, but price could still be an issue for Europeans if there is economic uncertainty.

I think the worst thing is the fear , and then people wont book and they will pull the ships out of Europe . It happend to us in 09 we had a 12 day Baltic cruise canceled (Carnival). We rebooked with N.C.L. but it did not have as many ports. Less ships means higher prices .

Let's hope this isn't true:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/09/news/international/global_economy/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

A world economic collapse if the above worst happens isn't going to be good for anyone, and I doubt if the worst happens I will be so worried about my cruise to Europe anyway-I'll have bigger issues.

Still planning on the cruise and hoping for the best, but to be honest, it looks a bit grim.

We are going next summer and I there aren't many things that could happen at this point that would cause us to cancel. We've considered the possiblilties of job loss and decided that we have the money saved up, we have already been putting it off for years, and if the worst happened we would go anyway. The only way I could see us canceliing was if a health related issue came up.

If the economy in some European countries crash, then I guess my pre trip hotels and food may be cheaper. Maybe my cruise price will go down. Maybe sites will be less crowded and easier to tour. It certainly won't cause me to cancel my trip.

The first time I went to Europe was the mid 80's. Someone (I believe it was the IRA but my memory may be wrong) was bombing bookstores in London on a fairly regular basis. Tourism was way down. Tourist sites were empty. People there were so appreciative of us coming to visit during the troubled times and not to be scared away by what was happening.

Let's hope this isn't true:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/09/news/international/global_economy/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

A world economic collapse if the above worst happens isn't going to be good for anyone, and I doubt if the worst happens I will be so worried about my cruise to Europe anyway-I'll have bigger issues.

Still planning on the cruise and hoping for the best, but to be honest, it looks a bit grim.

So true. But the worst thing consumers can do at this point is create a self-fulfilling prophecy by curtailing all discretionary spending including travel. If that happens, we can all be assured that we will have a worldwide recession, higher unemployment, and a very long recession.

So true. But the worst thing consumers can do at this point is create a self-fulfilling prophecy by curtailing all discretionary spending including travel. If that happens, we can all be assured that we will have a worldwide recession, higher unemployment, and a very long recession.

That may be true but if you have 3 kids that need to be helped through post secondary school one has to think about those things first.

I especially question those who's income has not been affected by the downturn saying they are cutting back. It is absolutely the wrong response. Economic activity and spending by those who are not affected will help the world out of the downturn.

I especially question those who's income has not been affected by the downturn saying they are cutting back. It is absolutely the wrong response. Economic activity and spending by those who are not affected will help the world out of the downturn.

I would think that there would only be a small number of cruisers who would not have been affected in some way by the economic downturn. People are affected in different ways, some by job loss and others by loss in investments such as the stockmarket and decreased real estate value just to name two.

I know these things cannot be predicted, but given Greece's default and all the protests this summer-and now Italy in danger of defaulting as well, anyone else feel this may not be the best time for a cruise in Europe? After all these years waiting and saving to take this trip, it just seems like horrible timing. I know the cruise can choose to go to other ports if things are really bad, but if Europe falls apart, that would not mean a whole lot to see or do. Greece is barely functioning right now. Shops are closing up left and right b/c they have no customers.

Thoughts?

If you are relying solely on news coverage for your views, you're probably getting a very skewed idea of what things are like at the moment in places like Greece or Italy (or indeed anywhere). Things are going on there much the same as they always do. I've just returned from a cruise that visited several Greek ports (not Athens this time around, but Crete and Rhodes, for example), and also spent 4 days in Rome. There is virtually no difference to last year or the year before. Europe certainly isn't "falling apart" nor is Greece "barely functioning"! Tourism is still strong everywhere, even in the off-season of late October/early November. I did not see any "closed shops" and there was not a lack of customers so far as I could tell at any port.

I suggest you look for reports from people who either actually live in the places you are concerned about, or who have recently traveled there. There are several threads right here on CC on the Greece ports of call boards that periodically update on things going on in Athens and elsewhere. Just recently several people have posted to that thread that there were no disruptions on their recent port days and they were able to enjoy Athens to the full. (I mention this specifically as Athens, of all places, seems most likely to suffer a few disruptions.) Keep in mind that Athens is a large city like New York. The protests you hear about are in one small area. It's rather like saying you wouldn't visit upper Manhattan because of the protesters at Wall Street.

We're booked for next June. I'm not really concerned. We were in the Med this past summer too and in Athens when alot of stuff was going on. There was a taxi strike called at the last minute the day we were there. Luckily we had arranged a private tour and it did not effect us at all.

Everyone we talked to seemed VERY happy to have the tourists. The country and people depend on the tourist to help the economy.

As long as there is not gunfire in the streets, I will try to go to Europe.

Also keep in mind things change quickly. Our next cruise was originally supposed to go to Tunis, Tunisia and RCCL has now taken that port off all its upcoming cruises. The lines will not deliberately put their passengers in danger. If it is not safe, they will not stop.

I'm surprised RCCL is not calling on Tunisia. I was just there (we overnighted in Tunis) and things are absolutely calm, ordered, peaceful, and people everywhere were welcoming and optimistic. I really can't see any risk of danger for any cruisers calling there.

Someone once said to me, "If you wait for the 'perfect time' to travel [to a specific country], you may never get there." I think this is true now more than ever. My grandmother and mother traveled to Europe several times shortly after WW2 ended. Was Europe "at its best" then? Surely not. But they enjoyed every moment and actually ended up with great stories and with lifelong friends in several cities they visited.

That may be true but if you have 3 kids that need to be helped through post secondary school one has to think about those things first.

That's very true. So if you have lost your job, had your income cut, or can't pay your bills anymore, by all means cut back on everything you can. However, if everyone does that, including those who have not lost their job, have not had income cut, or have not missed paying bills, then they are only increasing their chances of losing their jobs, getting an income cut, and not being able to pay their bills by creating the huge and long term recession we all fear may happen. Sothink about it very long and hard.

That's very true. So if you have lost your job, had your income cut, or can't pay your bills anymore, by all means cut back on everything you can. However, if everyone does that, including those who have not lost their job, have not had income cut, or have not missed paying bills, then they are only increasing their chances of losing their jobs, getting an income cut, and not being able to pay their bills by creating the huge and long term recession we all fear may happen. Sothink about it very long and hard.

Do you not think that it would be irresponsible to continue to spend on extras and live pay check to pay check right now in this economic environment? Even if your job hasn't been cut and you can pay your bills most financial analysts will tell you to have 6-12 months of savings to be able to dip into because your job could be next.

Do you not think that it would be irresponsible to continue to spend on extras and live pay check to pay check right now in this economic environment? Even if your job hasn't been cut and you can pay your bills most financial analysts will tell you to have 6-12 months of savings to be able to dip into because your job could be next.

Yes, but that's nothing new. Financial advisors have been advising that you have at least 6 months salary saved ever since I first entered the work force about a quarter-century ago!

I believe what commodoredave is saying is that people shouldn't be hoarding their money now. Certainly you should save and certainly you shouldn't buy it if you can't afford it, but assuming your normal spending habits are reasonable and you're not laid off etc, don't take your money out of circulation.

(Doing my part to improve the economy with 3 vacations booked next year. ;) )

Yes, but that's nothing new. Financial advisors have been advising that you have at least 6 months salary saved ever since I first entered the work force about a quarter-centery ago!

I believe what commodoredave is saying is that people shouldn't be hoarding their money now. Certainly you should save and certainly you shouldn't buy it if you can't afford it, but assuming your normal spending habits are reasonable and you're not laid off etc, don't take your money out of circulation.

I'm subscribing to the Cynthia method of economic stimulus. :D

Yes, but that's nothing new. Financial advisors have been advising that you have at least 6 months salary saved ever since I first entered the work force about a quarter-century ago!

What I am saying is, just because you are not laid off doesn't mean that you won't be next is all that I am saying. I know that it is not new that financial advisors are recommending people to have 6-12 months of savings available to them I am just thinking that now a days it is harder not to listen to them.;)

Not worried at all. What´s happening in Europe right now its, at some extent ,happening in some other places including the USA.

It´s a worldwide economic crisis, so I wouldnt worry too much, Definetely wont be any any situations that will put tourist at risk, In fact I think it would be a great opportunity to cruise in europe at somewhat discounted prices.

Obviouly due to current economic circunstances there will be some people that will prefer (wrongly if u ask me) to cruise somewhere else and hence the opportunity to get some very would deals. Im convince the risk of turnmoil in Europe is close to non existant.

Archived