Question about bringing my laptop

Good Morning, We are taking our first cruise with RCI and i'm so excited. We are taking LOS dEC. 5We've taken 6 cruises with carnival. My question is where do you guys store your laptops when you leave during the day to get off the ship. I worry that it might get stolen. I have never taken amy laptop on cruise so I'm clueless. Any advice? TIA1

We always take the laptop and have never had a problem leaving it in the room in a drawer. The new safes are too small for a laptop. We do have a lock on the computer, making it useless if someone did take it. We have no concerns about it in the room. One time we left the safe standing open with hundreds in cash and thousands in jewelry and the room was cleaned while we were gone, everything was right where we left it.

We put it in a suitcase, lock the suitcase and never worry. We generally keep the suitcases under the bed, (or in the closet if we have a cabin with more closet space.)

We use this method when traveling in a cabin, or any land hotel room that has no safe.

Good luck

M

we don't even bring it at all. we have plenty of spare storage cards for the cameras so we never have to worry about running out of room and we see no reason to have to connect to the interweb while on the cruise anyway. my crops will just have to wait on Facebook

I leave it on the counter or table plugged in along with my ipad and ipod and camera.

50+ cruises and not a problem yet.

If they want it that bad let them take it and I will deal with it later. There are camera's everywhere.. including the hallways. Chances of getting away with it... slim.

I would however recommend that you make a backup before you go of any important files on the off chance that something does happen to it.

I never put it away either. Like to leave it charging. I do close it (which locks screen if on) and usually put a zipper three-ring binder on top so it isn't obvious. As noted above bigger worry than canin attendant is when door might be open during cleaning. But that's a really really small worry (almost none) because passengers who can afford to cruise aren't interested in taking anything.

Like others, I have never had a problem just leaving it out. Let's face it, you could likely go into any room and find goodies worth stealing, so I don't think that out of sight out of mind really works as a counter measure. The cameras that blanket the ship, may help.

My advice, relax and enjoy your vacation.

I am with others in just leaving it open on the desk. Similarly I am just planning on leaving our portable DVD player out as well when we travel. To me those are minor items and if someone really wants to seal it nothing I do can stop them. I would think jewlery would be a more sought out item, and much easier for someone to hide.

i take my netbook, and leave it on the desk....(knock on wood) never had a problem....

my camera i keep out of sight if it isn't with me......that has more value to me, both financial and sentimental, than my 200 buck laptop....

Same here, get to the room, take out my power strip, plug it in, take out laptop, plug that in, leave it on the desktop for the entire cruise.

On a related note...I am taking mine aboard the Freedom next month, which is the first time taking it and not using ship's computers.

I believe you can use the internet in your cabin? Is it WIFI, or do I need to take my UB

cord to plug in?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

On a related note...I am taking mine aboard the Freedom next month, which is the first time taking it and not using ship's computers.

I believe you can use the internet in your cabin? Is it WIFI, or do I need to take my UB

cord to plug in?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Wireless

cord to plug in?

Freedom class has in cabin wireless. Older classes are in designated areas only. Same slowness as using their PCs.

Freedom class has in cabin wireless. Older classes are in designated areas only. Same slowness as using their PCs.

Thanks also, Sequim88!

Yup, sloooooowww..internet service, but at least I won't have to struggle with those unfamiliar ship's computers this time, which should help!

The Internet on the ship is not cheap.

One of the perks of being a "loyal royal".....using those 30 minute free internet coupons, and is actually 1 full hour when I combine both coupons for the DH and myself.

Just enough time to check emails and send quick updates gets the job done for me! :)

You can maximize your internet minutes if you use Microsoft Outlook or other offline mail program.

Basically you start the program and read and compose message while off-line.

Go online using the RCL webpage

Then hit F5 to send/receive and all of your email will be send and received in under a minute.

Then go back to the RCL webpage, sign off and peruse your email at your leisure.

Doing this you can make 30 minutes last for the whole week, even with checking email several times a day.

One of the perks of being a "loyal royal".....using those 30 minute free internet coupons, and is actually 1 full hour when I combine both coupons for the DH and myself.

Just enough time to check emails and send quick updates gets the job done for me! :)

Good Morning, We are taking our first cruise with RCI and i'm so excited. We are taking LOS dEC. 5We've taken 6 cruises with carnival. My question is where do you guys store your laptops when you leave during the day to get off the ship. I worry that it might get stolen. I have never taken amy laptop on cruise so I'm clueless. Any advice? TIA1

I have never had an issue with leaving it out on the desk on any cruise line. Between the laptop, phones, 2 DSLR Cameras there is no possible way to secure everything.

Archived