Royal Caribbean Lowers Minimum Drinking Age for International Cruises

LauraS

I thought that it was always like that. Huh i guess you learn somthing new every day. Oh well dnt matter Im of legal age any way

The big change is that someone who is 18 yrs old (legally an adult in the UK), no longer needs to have a parent/guardian on the cruise with them in order for them to drink alcohol on a European Cruise :D

What is wrong with America? 18 year olds may sign a legal contract, and fight for our freedom, but can't drink? Insane and certainly doesn't keep those under 18 from drinking....simply makes it a crime. Idiocy!

While I agree it's not the best idea I know that a lot of 18yo people are still not very responsible. And I honestly feel we would have a lot more people getting DUI's and accidents from DUI.

Having just said that 18 year old aren't responsible, then they shouldn't be considered adults in all other aspects of life except this one. The reason the US changed the law from 21 to 18 in the first place was all about money!! The US gov't basically blackmailed the states back in the late 70's/early 80's into changing the legal age or they wouldn't get funding for highways. They all eventually gave in to the pressure and the states have never changed it back...ridiculous!

Found this thread interesting and would like to share our observation/experience. We lived in Europe for 10 years and our children were teens. Not one of our teens (in our community) every drank and drove in Europe. In fact, drinking was just not a taboo and the forbidden fruit like it is treated in the US. Drinking age was 16 and they couldn't drive until at least 18 Our kids didn't get driver licenses until they were 19 and 20 when they were back in the US at college. I tend to agree with RCCL's change in policy knowing that many other "cultural norms" are different and that's "ok".

While I agree it's not the best idea I know that a lot of 18yo people are still not very responsible. And I honestly feel we would have a lot more people getting DUI's and accidents from DUI.

While that may be your opinion, it's simply not supported by the facts. Compare drunk driving among 18-21 year olds in Europe vs. US. In Europe, teens are generally taught to be responsible. In the US, no parental guidance (other than "don't do it") is given.

While that may be your opinion, it's simply not supported by the facts. Compare drunk driving among 18-21 year olds in Europe vs. US. In Europe, teens are generally taught to be responsible. In the US, no parental guidance (other than "don't do it") is given.

That is a fact. We are not talking about Europe or Europeans. We are talking about the US and the mentality of us teenagers. A lot are not responsible. Point in case here this week a 19 yo girl in south Florida used a fake id to get into a bunch of clubs. She got drunk drove home and killed a women when she plowed her car. It wouldn't have made a difference if she was legal to drink or not. Wouldn't have changed anything. The mentality here is different then elsewhere. Europe is not the us.

That is a fact. We are not talking about Europe or Europeans. We are talking about the US and the mentality of us teenagers. A lot are not responsible. Point in case here this week a 19 yo girl in south Florida used a fake id to get into a bunch of clubs. She got drunk drove home and killed a women when she plowed her car. It wouldn't have made a difference if she was legal to drink or not. Wouldn't have changed anything. The mentality here is different then elsewhere. Europe is not the us.

http://www.fortmyersattorneydui.com/2011/11/19-year-old-formally-charged-with-dui-manslaughter-fake-id-charges.shtml

Just to show the so called responsible teens here.

HAHAHA first children are allowed in the CL, now they are allowed in the bars! :p

yes, yes I am kidding! I know OFFICIALLY 18 year olds are adults

I can't wait to see how this plays out. ;)

Exactly,and how many of those 18-20yo "adults" get kicked out every night from the club because they are drinking? I know every night I am in the club, and every night I watch under aged kids get caught by security because they are drinking under age.

You make may point perfectly. US parents typically ignore any opportunity to teach responsibility. The tragedy you pointed out is a result. In Europe, the trend is to teach kids early on responsible behavior, including the responsibility to never, ever drive drunk.

In Europe, it's quite common for parents to start introducing wine at dinner at 13-14. By the time they start to drive, kids are well aware of the effects, and know not to drive impaired.

As your story suggests, 19 yo's in the US have no guidance from parents or other authorities. They are left to their own (impaired) judgement. The tragic results are deaths due to impaired driving.

Tell that to the 18-20 y/o that are coming back in a box from Iraq and Afghanistan who gave their life for their country and yet could not drink alcohol legally. You are way off base!

US Army retired

You make may point perfectly. US parents typically ignore any opportunity to teach responsibility. The tragedy you pointed out is a result. In Europe, the trend is to teach kids early on responsible behavior, including the responsibility to never, ever drive drunk.

In Europe, it's quite common for parents to start introducing wine at dinner at 13-14. By the time they start to drive, kids are well aware of the effects, and know not to drive impaired.

As your story suggests, 19 yo's in the US have no guidance from parents or other authorities. They are left to their own (impaired) judgement. The tragic results are deaths due to impaired driving.

That's exactly my point. I am not speaking for every person 18-20yo in the whole world. I am also not speaking for every here in the US. The problem is there are still a lot of kids who don't have that guidance and make life changing mistakes exactly as that article points out. That is why it's 21 here in the states and won't change.

Tell that to the 18-20 y/o that are coming back in a box from Iraq and Afghanistan who gave their life for their country and yet could not drink alcohol legally. You are way off base!

US Army retired

Just because someone served in the military doesn't make them responsible to not get behind the wheel drunk. The excuse of going to battle as a means for should be able to drink is just a false crutch to lean on. My father is retired naval pilot and agrees with my thoughts 100%. I support our military and troops to the maximum degree. But here's some food from thought. More US soldiers who have returned from Iraq have committed suicide then died in the war. Studies have showed that up to 75% were drug or acohol related. Those are hard numbers that are easily accessible on the web to anyone. Being a soldier doesn't mean your a man or mentally mature. Which is why so many young returning soldiers come back broken physically and mentally. It's horrible but true. That being said I honor every soldier who has fought or given their life so we can sit here and have this debate freely. Secondly people who have served are a minority when we are talking about 18-20 yo people. There are far more not in the military then are.

Having just said that 18 year old aren't responsible, then they shouldn't be considered adults in all other aspects of life except this one. The reason the US changed the law from 21 to 18 in the first place was all about money!! The US gov't basically blackmailed the states back in the late 70's/early 80's into changing the legal age or they wouldn't get funding for highways. They all eventually gave in to the pressure and the states have never changed it back...ridiculous!

As someone who came of age in the early 70's, I seem to recall that the voting age nationaly and eventually the drinking age in most states was changed to 18 because they were drafting 18 year olds and shipping them to Viet Nam. It was more than a little hypocritical for the government to draft 18 year olds to kill and die for a government when they had no say in it's governance. Thus the 18 year old vote.

I have always thought it odd that I was allowed to drink legally at the age of 18 but if one of my kids at the age of 20 is at a party where beer is served they can get a ticket. It just doesn't jive with reality.

Dear friends:

Let's put aside whether the drinking age merits being 16, 18 or 21.

The fact of the matter is that the cruise line markets hundreds of sailings in Europe, to Europeans, visiting only European (or in the European region and surroundings) ports.

With the above as the scenario, how do you now tell a 20-year-old European that he or she cannot drink on his or her European vacation because in some other country on the other side of the planet people can't drink until the age of 21? (The same analysis holds true for Australia, South America, etc.)

Obviously, while in the United States and while taking a cruise from the United States, the U.S. laws should and do apply. But where is the logic in applying a U.S. law to a ship registered in The Bahamas, marketed to a European, and visiting Barcelona, Naples, Civitavecchia, Livorno, Malta and Villefranche, just to use an example?

It will be interesting to see if this new policy will also trickle down to the policy of the age limit for purchasing a cabin, since Europe is not necessarily known for the "Spring Break phenomenon" that occurs in the United States.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Its only fair to change the drinking age because alot of europeans and british that go on cruises , who are legally allowed to drink, cant because they are on an american ship! And if you can drink in port at 18 why the heck cant you drink on the ship!!! I think changeing the rules was a good move.

A point about drink driveing, and teenagers driveing - over here its too damb expensive to drive!!! most teenagers dont have a car ( actually I dont even have a liscence yet either :rolleyes: ) and we all know that if stopped and breath tested ( which happens alot) you will be fined or get points on your liscence or lose your liscence.

I dont think we are more responsible drinkers on this side of the pond, but dont see the point in waiting till 21 to be able to drink.

I think US laws are a little over the top, they wont serve anyone alcohol without ID! I was at universal studios and wanted a beer, they wouldnt serve me so my boyfriend who had a drivers liscence, went to buy us both one, he was told he could have a beer for himself but was not allowed to buy one for me!! I was told if I was seen shareing his beer I would have to leave the park! thats ridiculous because im a 34 yr old mum of 4 :eek:

anyway, when in rome do as the romans do, come to europe and get your drink on, 18 yr olds are adults in my book

It´s also a legal problem: As a German I´m an adult by the age of 18. Unless the fact that I´m allowed to drink beer and wine by the age of 16 (which I personally don´t think is o.k.) I won´t be allowed to drink anything on a cruise ship without the permission of my parents unless I´m 21. But my parents are legally not allowed to give my any kind of permission when I´m legally an adult. So from the German point of view this rule legally didn´t make any sense.

With more and more cruises starting in Europe and other countries when drinking age and being an adult does not differ it´s more than consequent to change this rule.

steamboats

who´s bar bill is nothing RCI can live from...

Uni-it

Just because someone served in the military doesn't make them responsible to not get behind the wheel drunk. The excuse of going to battle as a means for should be able to drink is just a false crutch to lean on. My father is retired naval pilot and agrees with my thoughts 100%. I support our military and troops to the maximum degree. But here's some food from thought. More US soldiers who have returned from Iraq have committed suicide then died in the war. Studies have showed that up to 75% were drug or acohol related. Those are hard numbers that are easily accessible on the web to anyone. Being a soldier doesn't mean your a man or mentally mature. Which is why so many young returning soldiers come back broken physically and mentally. It's horrible but true. That being said I honor every soldier who has fought or given their life so we can sit here and have this debate freely. Secondly people who have served are a minority when we are talking about 18-20 yo people. There are far more not in the military then are.

It is indeed terrible the problems some of our service men and woman have had .....but apparently....based on your post, they still drank or used drugs ..........the law didn't help any!

The overwheming majority of 18 to 21 years are indeed responsible adults and don't drink and drive.....I find it foolish and very unfiar to restrict their rights to drink......... The few fools that will drink and drive, they will not stop law or no law!

Any man or woman who serves their country........lays there lives on the line, is indeed an Adult and mature, and often in many ways more so then older folks! To even suggest otherwise , IMO, suggests unmature thinking.

AKK

Archived