Adding a passenger

Ryancoke

If you book a stateroom for two can you add an additional person at a later date? With them using a cot or the like? Has anyone done it and if so how late could it be done? My son and I are planning a getaway but there's a chance my daughter might come too if she doesn't get her contract renewed. Won't know until about two weeks prior to leaving. I'm not too sure how 3 would fit in most staterooms. Maybe the couch could get removed.

Hi Ryancoke. I think it depends on what category you have booked as some staterooms accommodate more than two passengers, but that is not the usual case in Britannia Category, so special booking may be required. I can't imagine the couch would be removed from a stateroom, nor have I heard of any cot set-up, but I belieive that in some cabins, the couch is a convertable bed. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best wishes to your daughter on renewal of her contract. Regards, Salacia

Some cabins are designed to accommodate a 3rd, or even 4th passenger, either on a sleeper couch or bunk bed(s), so you may already be in a cabin that sleeps 3. Adding an extra passenger to the cabin depends on how full the ship is for that particular sailing. If there is plenty of space, that shouldn't be a problem, but if the ship is near capacity they may not allow the extra passenger. If you know your cabin number you can check if it is a 3 berth cabin on the Cunard web site deck plan for the ship.

You can check with your travel agent or Cunard to ascertain if there is a possibility of adding a 3rd person to your cabin when you know for sure whether she will be able to join you.

I'd actually reach out to my travel agent now to see what your current cabin will permit and, if it won't allow the third passenger, whether there's a cabin you can move to now that will allow the third passenger should you find you need it. Hoping for that availability at the last minute may not work out! The conversation will also give you a heads up on ballpark pricing for the 3rd person.

Hope it works out for your daughter to join you!

You can just catch one of the top hooks at the right-hand edge of the frame. Here's the ladder in a less-convenient location:

qm2-cabin-standard-4-berth.jpg

Thanks MaineTraveller. I'm interested in this because I'm hoping to interest several young family members in taking a QM2 cruise. That ladder, shown in your photo - is it stored somewhere in the cabin, or left in place? Also, if possible, can you say what is the cabin number of the picture shown? Thank you. -Salacia

Just so there's no confusion, Host Sharon's photo is of a standard inside stateroom, and the smaller photo I posted is of a standard oceanview stateroom.

You may also find this page (which links to a set of copies of Cunard's deck plans) useful in sorting out all the permutations of family accomodations:

http://www.deluxecruises.com/cunard/queen_mary_2/family_accommodations.htm

If you book a stateroom for two can you add an additional person at a later date? With them using a cot or the like? Has anyone done it and if so how late could it be done? My son and I are planning a getaway but there's a chance my daughter might come too if she doesn't get her contract renewed. Won't know until about two weeks prior to leaving. I'm not too sure how 3 would fit in most staterooms. Maybe the couch could get removed.

Salacia is right about a 3'rd person staying in the stateroom. Most of the photos you see are the "descending" beds. This is for 'noview" rooms. The couch in many rooms doubles(as Salacia said) as a 3'd bed. On our first voyage some years back, our friends had one for their mother. It works quite nicely. It's probably better this way, as less chance of someone falling out or banging one's head. If you go to the Cunard website you can get a deck by deck "map". this will show all the rooms.With rooms with a small "x", check the icon for it. It will show the additional accomodations. The thing I do, is go down where you book future cruises. They have these "thick" info. brochures..really a magazine on Cunard. These will give you all the ship info at a glance.

On QE we had a deluxe inside in which the third bed was a convertible couch with an additional folding down berth over it if required as a four berth. Yes - this did work well, although my complaint with QE was the twin beds were so close they could have almost been a double ! Not so good when sharing with friends.

On QE we had a deluxe inside in which the third bed was a convertible couch with an additional folding down berth over it if required as a four berth. Yes - this did work well, although my complaint with QE was the twin beds were so close they could have almost been a double ! Not so good when sharing with friends.

I'd hate to have a heavy snorer on a trip like that.

I'd hate to have a heavy snorer on a trip like that.

Well, if the sound of the waves could drown it out...which brings me to my next stupid question (and I have a million of 'em:o): do windows open on any port hole/ocean view cabins on QM2?:confused: Thanks, -S

No windows open - - only the doors on balcony cabins.

Thanks Oahucruiser. I've only booked balcony cabins because I can't sleep without fresh air. But one night at dinner, a table mate was talking about her port hole window being opened while the windows were being washed...opps, guess I missed her joke.:o Cheers, -S

I wouldn't have thought I'd mind snorers: too many years in the military, plus I snore, as does the missus, as do the cats...

But once I was doubled up with a British friend at a small hotel in the UK for a conference. We had both been identified as epic snorers during past conferences by other attendees in adjoining rooms (or even down the hall), so the organizer thought it was safe to put us together. We kept each other up, alternating periods of snoozing noisily and staring at the vibrating light fixtures, listening to the other one!

Archived