Mariner Status beyond 4 Stars

TeamBozo

My wife and I are getting close to 4 stars, although frankly it doesn't seem to provide much benefit. Free laundry is nice, but it's not enough to have a big impact on our choice of cruise line.

I've heard there are levels beyond 4 stars that don't get publicized. I don't know much about the different medallions that people receive and what, if any, perks they provide. Is there anything official? Or is it pretty much an informal thing?

Are these benefits worth aspiring towards? I apologize if this topic has been previously covered.

We suspect that not many HA passengers are cruising that line for the Mariner Club perks. Even at 4 stars the perks are nothing when compared to many other lines such as RCI, Celebrity, Princess, etc. When we go on Celebrity we really look forward to all the perks.....on HA about the only thing of any value is the discount on a couple of wine packages....although the wines on those packages will not excite an Oenophile.

Hank

We suspect that not many HA passengers are cruising that line for the Mariner Club perks. Even at 4 stars the perks are nothing when compared to many other lines such as RCI, Celebrity, Princess, etc. When we go on Celebrity we really look forward to all the perks.....on HA about the only thing of any value is the discount on a couple of wine packages....although the wines on those packages will not excite an Oenophile.

Hank

I've looked at the top level of perks on Celebrity and to tell you the truth I didn't see anything spectacular there. Could you tell me what you enjoy? Maybe I missed something. Thx.

On our recent Maasdam cruise, at the Mariner Medallion party, the hotel manager mentioned there is a President's Club over and above the Medallions and Stars programs. There were no members onboard, and I've never heard it mentioned before, but knew "something" existed above and beyond.

He did not mention what, if any, additional benefits were available or how many days it takes to get there.

I've looked at the top level of perks on Celebrity and to tell you the truth I didn't see anything spectacular there. Could you tell me what you enjoy? Maybe I missed something. Thx.

Ok. We will be going on a Celebrity cruise in a few weeks and this is what we will get. Keep in mind we are Elite with Celebrity which essentially means we have done 10+ cruises on that line. It is much easier to get to Elite on Celebrity then to get 4 Stars in the Mariners Club (we will be 4 Stars next spring). When we embark on Celebrity we will get priority (really cuts down on the lines). Once on-board we would get priority tendering. Every morning they have a special Continental breakfast for the Elites that is in a private venue. At that breakfast (which is a very socialable event, we can get many free speciality drinks including cappucinos, fresh fruit smoothies, bloody marys, mimosas, champagne, etc. These drinks are unlimited and this even occurs every day of the cruise. Every evening (except the first night and the night of the Senior officers cocktail party) we have a free cocktail hour from 5 -7. At this cocktail party we can get unlimited cocktails (a limited list), beer, wine, soft drinks, etc. and they also serve both hot and cold hors d'Oevres which are brought around to the tables by waiters. These parties are usually well run with plenty of staff, hosted by the Captain's Club host, and sometimes attended by other officers, Cruise directors, etc. This benefit alone is worth over $20 a day to us since we drink. On one night of the cruise they have a "Senior Officers" party which is a private party attended by all the senior officers (including the Captain). Since the number of passengers at this Senior Officers party is somewhat limited (they only have Elite and the next lowest category of Captains Club) it is also sociable and the officers will usually stay for at least an hour and stop by many of the tables to chat. We also are given a gift (usually something like a decent tote bag). In addition, we get 90 minutes of free internet time (per person) a coupon book good for other discounts such as free laundry, certain other events such as special ships tours, and more. On most cruises they try to arrange for Elite's to dine with a senior officer on one night (this does not always happen if there are too many Elites) such as on our most recent cruise where we dined with the Hotel Manager. There are a few other perks such as priority waiting list for excursions which we do not use.

Hank

Ok. We will be going on a Celebrity cruise in a few weeks and this is what we will get. Keep in mind we are Elite with Celebrity which essentially means we have done 10+ cruises on that line. It is much easier to get to Elite on Celebrity then to get 4 Stars in the Mariners Club (we will be 4 Stars next spring). When we embark on Celebrity we will get priority (really cuts down on the lines). Once on-board we would get priority tendering. Every morning they have a special Continental breakfast for the Elites that is in a private venue. At that breakfast (which is a very socialable event, we can get many free speciality drinks including cappucinos, fresh fruit smoothies, bloody marys, mimosas, champagne, etc. These drinks are unlimited and this even occurs every day of the cruise. Every evening (except the first night and the night of the Senior officers cocktail party) we have a free cocktail hour from 5 -7. At this cocktail party we can get unlimited cocktails (a limited list), beer, wine, soft drinks, etc. and they also serve both hot and cold hors d'Oevres which are brought around to the tables by waiters. These parties are usually well run with plenty of staff, hosted by the Captain's Club host, and sometimes attended by other officers, Cruise directors, etc. This benefit alone is worth over $20 a day to us since we drink. On one night of the cruise they have a "Senior Officers" party which is a private party attended by all the senior officers (including the Captain). Since the number of passengers at this Senior Officers party is somewhat limited (they only have Elite and the next lowest category of Captains Club) it is also sociable and the officers will usually stay for at least an hour and stop by many of the tables to chat. We also are given a gift (usually something like a decent tote bag). In addition, we get 90 minutes of free internet time (per person) a coupon book good for other discounts such as free laundry, certain other events such as special ships tours, and more. On most cruises they try to arrange for Elite's to dine with a senior officer on one night (this does not always happen if there are too many Elites) such as on our most recent cruise where we dined with the Hotel Manager. There are a few other perks such as priority waiting list for excursions which we do not use.

Hank

Thank you for letting me know. I'm not really that into getting free drinks. I do go to the bar after dinner sometimes but it's just not something that does much for me. I really like the free laundry on HAL and discounts on restuarants and the specialty coffees. I also get priority debark/embark. To have some free internet would be a bonus to me. Luckily I do get that on Princess. I also got to have dinner one night with the first officer on my Panama canal cruise in Apr 2011 although I'm pretty sure that will never happen again. I know some feel that HAL gives their 4* benefits too quickly but I agree that others lines seem to do it much sooner.

On our recent Maasdam cruise, at the Mariner Medallion party, the hotel manager mentioned there is a President's Club over and above the Medallions and Stars programs. There were no members onboard, and I've never heard it mentioned before, but knew "something" existed above and beyond.

He did not mention what, if any, additional benefits were available or how many days it takes to get there.

Yes, there is a President's Club and we are friends with four members. The ones we know have sailed about 1,900 or so days. It's a very select group. I mean really...... how many folks do you think actually have more than 1,400 days?

Some of the 'perks' might be called intangible. ;)

Not many with 700+ days (Platinum Medallion) are necessarily returning again and again in order to get 'perks' such as those that are sometimes mentioned here. They don't much care about one free drink but they might like having a party!!! :)

My parents have 8 cruises with Celebrity which I guess means that they are not Elite status. Last December they took their first HAL cruise so are now first level Mariner. They have made comments to me about all the special Mariner cruise price offers they have gotten this year as Mariners that they never get from X with the Captains club. They also enjoy as we do the Mariners Magazine something X doesn't do either.

I am not making any judgements as I only have one X cruise and all I get are an occasional letter from them but no special pricing deals either. Nothing I get from them has enticed me to take another X cruise.

I get TONS of emails from every line but HAL. Sometimes I bite. I'd like to see the "special" mariner price that HAL offers:D. Clearly, I'm not booking the right cruises.

I get at least 2 or 3 nice 4 color mailings from HAL every month usually with some special offering on upcoming cruises. There have been times when we get something every week. Maybe with you living in Canada you get less mailings, I do not know. But I am surprised at the amount of money HAL spends in nice 4 color mailings to us as Mariner members compared to the very little we get from X. Tells me HAL has more money for marketing than X. I also do not recall any emails from X since our one cruise 2 years ago. I get more mailings and offers from Princess and Carnival than X that I assume are related to my Mariner membership. I was on one Carnival cruise back in the late 90's.

We live in Canada. And we get mailings mainly from Princess, Celebrity and HAL.

HAL is by far the worst offender. Often multiple pieces in each month, depending on season. They get mailed differently...in my name, in DW's name, some in both our names, and lately even in DW's name and the name of the previous owner of our house-12 years ago!

They go straight to the bin. HAL may have a 'save the waves' campaign on board their ships but they certainly are not particularly good stewards on land and they are terrible marketers. Each of this pieces go directly into the re-cycle bin-unopened.

We don't open the Princess or Celebrity mailers either. The only exception is the Tuesday email specials from Celebrity that we often get on a Sunday night. These are about the only ones that have, on accasion, provided us with what we would call attractive pricing. The others, including Carnival, NCL, Cunard, RCI, and Oceania go straight to the junk mail folder.

My wife and I are getting close to 4 stars, although frankly it doesn't seem to provide much benefit. Free laundry is nice, but it's not enough to have a big impact on our choice of cruise line.

I've heard there are levels beyond 4 stars that don't get publicized. I don't know much about the different medallions that people receive and what, if any, perks they provide. Is there anything official? Or is it pretty much an informal thing?

Are these benefits worth aspiring towards? I apologize if this topic has been previously covered.

IRL_Joanie, the member who provides all the great pictures and info that has a "sticky" on top of the board, has under her signature a Mariner "gif" logo that goes from one to five stars. She may be able to tell you with perks are provided at that level.

IRL_Joanie, is not a Five Star Mariner.

I have noticed her blinking five star Mariner symbol. It is very clever, however, I'm sure she is not trying to indicate she has attained that level. We have over 700 days and are only Four Star. ;)

IRL_Joanie, is not a Five Star Mariner.

I have noticed her blinking five star Mariner symbol. It is very clever, however, I'm sure she is not trying to indicate she has attained that level. We have over 700 days and are only Four Star. ;)

I just assumed there may be a 5-star level when I went to Joanie's website to look at photos of our cabin for an upcoming cruise and noticed the logo today. The host of our Meet & Greet on our Noordam cruise has a blinking logo that goes from 1 to 4 stars in color. I would have never noticed either of them if there wasn't any "blinking".

I sure I am confused here but many times when I am looking at HAL's site and am interested in a cruise I need to put in my mariners number before seeing the reduced rates. Some of the reductions are significant. A few times it has been several hundred dollars per person off the SA suite rate published on the site.

Are those discounts the same for all mariners or is the discount tiered toward your mariner status?

I sure I am confused here but many times when I am looking at HAL's site and am interested in a cruise I need to put in my mariners number before seeing the reduced rates. Some of the reductions are significant. A few times it has been several hundred dollars per person off the SA suite rate published on the site.

Are those discounts the same for all mariners or is the discount tiered toward your mariner status?

I have no idea but it can be a significant savings from published rates.

The amount of discount does not differ for the number of days/star Mariner.

It is possible there could be marketing discounts that would make someone from a certain state or part of the country eligible for a special rate or discount.

The amount of discount does not differ for the number of days/star Mariner.

It is possible there could be marketing discounts that would make someone from a certain state or part of the country eligible for a special rate or discount.

Somehow the Mariner level does affect pricing. My next cruise is with a friend, who lives across the street - same state, same part of the country. She is a 1-star with 24 days. Putting in her Mariner number got us lower pricing than with my number. DH also has fewer stars than I, he also had lower prices. Our TA had to work with HAL to get me the same, lower, pricing as my friend in the same cabin.

Archived