Anybody miss me?

I haven't been on the boards in a year and a half (it's no fun when you don't have a cruise scheduled). But that all changed today. We're booked on the Grandeur in April ... so I hope the veterans can catch me up on what's changed in the RCI world in the past year and a half.

I see that the Crown and Anchor thing changed ... I'm emerald now instead of platinum. Other than that, what do I need to be aware of?

Welcome back. Here's what's happened:

1. A lot of people don't dress up for formal nights

2. Some people actually wear jeans in the MDR

3. They are letting kids in the CL during happy hour

4. Many people think RCCL service continues to deteriorate

5. Many people don't think RCCL cares what we think

Welcome back. Here's what's happened:

1. A lot of people don't dress up for formal nights

2. Some people actually wear jeans in the MDR

3. They are letting kids in the CL during happy hour

4. Many people think RCCL service continues to deteriorate

5. Many people don't think RCCL cares what we think

Here's what else is happening:

1. A lot of people do dress up for formal nights:cool:

2. Some ships are not allowing jeans in the MDR:rolleyes:

3. They are not letting kids in the CL ("Dems de rules") during happy hour

4. Many people think RCI has finally reached bottom as to deteriating and has leveled off.;)

5. Many people have written RCI direct and gotten very personal responses that prove they do care.:D

Hope This Helps.

Here's what else is happening:

1. A lot of people do dress up for formal nights:cool:

2. Some ships are not allowing jeans in the MDR:rolleyes:

3. They are not letting kids in the CL ("Dems de rules") during happy hour

4. Many people think RCI has finally reached bottom as to deteriating and has leveled off.;)

5. Many people have written RCI direct and gotten very personal responses that prove they do care.:D

Hope This Helps.

Um, just got off Freedom and they are ABSOLUTELY letting kids in the CL during Happy Hour and on all ships. They're not letting them in the D/D+ events/lounge as far as I know.

I generally like RCCL, but they don't show any love to us solo travelers. I have to pay for two full passages on their ships (200% single supplement). I never see them discounting for solos. It doesn't even make sense. If nothing else, I don't eat for 2!! Norwegian, on the other hand, has studio cabins for one on the EPIC and the new Breakaway (2013). I did that once & it was great! The studio lounge has a happy hour every night so you meet and get to make plans with your fellow solo travelers.

As long as they don't start REQUIRING jean in the MDR, I'm OK ... I don't own any jeans.

Love the line about the live starfish (I'm sure there was an entertaining post I must have missed recently) ... that one would have never occurred to me. Last time I was on the boards all the dicussion was about smuggling in adult beverages.

As long as they don't start REQUIRING jean in the MDR, I'm OK ... I don't own any jeans.

Love the line about the live starfish (I'm sure there was an entertaining post I must have missed recently) ... that one would have never occurred to me. Last time I was on the boards all the dicussion was about smuggling in adult beverages.

Yes, the Starfish discussion was very memorable and entertaining and it was referred to for months afterwards. Smuggling still comes up. Kids being allowed in the CL during happy hour was also an ongoing discussion for a few weeks.

Last time I was on the boards all the dicussion was about smuggling in adult beverages.
Yes but the latest innovation you may have missed is people actually buying their drinks on ship instead of smuggling booze. Who would have thunk it? Such a simple concept.:rolleyes:

WELCOME BACK!!!! and don't stay away so long next time....:)

Thank you. Actually, a cruise every two years is our pattern. We alternate with a land-based vacation ... this past year we did Disney World and then Las Vegas/Zion/Bryce. But nothing compares to the total experience of a cruise (not even the Bellagio).

Thank you. Actually, a cruise every two years is our pattern. We alternate with a land-based vacation ... this past year we did Disney World and then Las Vegas/Zion/Bryce. But nothing compares to the total experience of a cruise (not even the Bellagio).

We also alternate land and sea....Did you do the Tauck tour in Bryce/Zion? We did a couple tours with Adventures by Disney and they were fabulous. Doing Tauck this summer on a river cruise on the Danube. But Next up is on the Freedom early next year. We also lived in Columbus for 7 yrs. Loved Ohio and her friendly people. But any-who stay with us and post every couple weeks rather than every couple years.:)

We also alternate land and sea....Did you do the Tauck tour in Bryce/Zion? We did a couple tours with Adventures by Disney and they were fabulous. Doing Tauck this summer on a river cruise on the Danube. But Next up is on the Freedom early next year. We also lived in Columbus for 7 yrs. Loved Ohio and her friendly people. But any-who stay with us and post every couple weeks rather than every couple years.:)

We didn't do a commercial tour of Zion/Bryce. I rented a car in Vegas and we went off on our own. We stayed at one of the cabins in Zion, so we were able to drive into the park. As for Disney, I tagged along as a chaperone when my DD went to DW with the marching band. What a thrill watching them march up Main Street that Saturday night!

Now that I'm in planning mode, I'll be on here every couple of days. Although this time my DD claims she's going to actively involved in planning, since she thinks I made a few major mistakes on the shore excursions two years ago.

The next class of ship will be smaller than the Oasis named Sunshine Class.

That's good news. I know the concept of "big" is that you have more paying passengers to support the necessary overhead of running the ship, but voyager class is actually a tad too big for me. I prefer radiance or vision.

And will somebody please post a link to the starfish thread. Curious minds want to know ... and the search brought back too many threads to sort through.

One thing that might affect you........before my recent Freedom cruise I saw lots of posts regarding RCCL no longer allowing extension cords to be brought onboard. Also power strips, but the extension cord thing worried me because of my CPAP. I emailed customer service and they said an heavy duty extension cord and distilled water would be waiting in the stateroom. I brought my cord, anyway, and it passed through the xray without a blink from anyone. My steward knew nothing about RCCL having a cord, but I told him I didn't need it anyway. I don't know if I was lucky, or if it's a rumor, but it didn't happen to me.

RCCL is selling more off shore than ever with 50% of the passengers are not from the US.

The next class of ship will be smaller than the Oasis named Sunshine Class.

Do you know where we can learn more about the Sunshine Class?

Thanks

Kathy:)

I generally like RCCL, but they don't show any love to us solo travelers. I have to pay for two full passages on their ships (200% single supplement). I never see them discounting for solos. It doesn't even make sense. If nothing else, I don't eat for 2!! Norwegian, on the other hand, has studio cabins for one on the EPIC and the new Breakaway (2013). I did that once & it was great! The studio lounge has a happy hour every night so you meet and get to make plans with your fellow solo travelers.

Royal Caribbean has LOTS of sailings on which solo cruisers do not have to pay 200%. You just have to be willing to sail NOT in high season, and you have to look for them.

I found some information about Project Sunshine. First one is expected in the Fall of 2014 with a possible second ship in Spring of 2015.

A Press Release was issued in Feb.

Rumour has it that the ships will be between the Radiance and Freedom class in size.

Here is what appears to be an artist's rendering of the Projected ship(s);

Post # 27 on this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27789240

I love the thought of a ship sized between the Radiance and Freedom class.:D

Kathy

• 1 month later...

And will somebody please post a link to the starfish thread. Curious minds want to know ... and the search brought back too many threads to sort through.

Yes, the Starfish discussion was very memorable and entertaining and it was referred to for months afterwards. Smuggling still comes up. Kids being allowed in the CL during happy hour was also an ongoing discussion for a few weeks.

It is advisable not to bring live starfish on board following an excursion.

Oh how I wish someone had saved a copy of the "Starfish Thread" I started to read it and planned on getting back to it, but before I did ... poof.... it was gone to infamy forever :-)).

Maybe I should just ask ... did anyone save a copy? I have a cruise coming up in January and it sure would make a great cruise read!

Oh how I wish someone had saved a copy of the "Starfish Thread" I started to read it and planned on getting back to it, but before I did ... poof.... it was gone to infamy forever :-)).

Maybe I should just ask ... did anyone save a copy? I have a cruise coming up in January and it sure would make a great cruise read!

There IS a copy out there (found that out last week) however the PC has been loaned to the mother of the person who copied it.... am keeping my fingers crossed that one day he will retrieve it! ;)

Welcome back.

A couple new entertaining events started on RCI Freedom of the Seas.

Live Plays-------AKA 'Rescuing Cubans at Sea."

Also more water sports or should I say Water spouts.

No all kidding aside, the threads are more entertaining and critical than 19 months ago.

Still not a good idea to talk about smoking, smuggling, and bringing irons on board, and god forbid if you mentiion towels or chair hogs!!!

Safe travels

Sue and crew

My cruise in January is a solo trip and I only paid 25% extra :D

Archived