Have you seen how much NCL has Cutback?

cruiser4801

ISo personally I am glad that no cigar smoking is allowed on balconies.

I can imagine that those in next door balconies are also glad.

Count me as one of them!!!!!!

I can sympathize with the OP in regard to changes. I feel that way about CCL.

I have only been sailing NCL since 2007, so to be honest, I have seen nothing but good changes because my first NCL cruise wasn't all that great (in regard to mdr food). They seem to have improved for us over the past 5 years.

It's all a matter of perspective....

I have never found inedible food on any cruise. Our worst food came on RCI, and although it wasn't great, it's not like I starved. What is more important to me is service (and I think NCL excels in this area) and entertainment/music...and NCL rocks this category too.

For me personally, what NCL offers in options/alternative dining is far better than other lines, so although there may be cuts, I am more than content with what is offered.

Not only have they been cutting back but there are NCL ships out there that never got the full 2.0 upgrade from 3/4 years ago that they promised. The Sun still doesn't have flat screen tv's just to name one.

Some cabins do have flat screens, not all however.

Not only have they been cutting back but there are NCL ships out there that never got the full 2.0 upgrade from 3/4 years ago that they promised. The Sun still doesn't have flat screen tv's just to name one.

The reason for that is the change in upper management. Veatch's ideas were taking NCL into insolvency, and Sheehan made changes to turn the company around. That involved quite a few unpopular changes, but it has kept NCL around for us to enjoy.

I am on the Pearl now. Sitting in Jamaica. What a difference from my Star cruise last month. I don't feel like there are any cutbacks. Go figure. Having Klaus onboard means everyone of the crew and staff are bringing out their A game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These are just options on the menu. You don't have to choose them if you don't like them.

True--but I think these new "home style" options replaced other (what could perhaps be called) fine dining options. Basically, fewer high end choices that what there used to be (at least on Princess--can't speak to NCL)

We were on the Pearl a couple of weeks ago, and weren't quite sure what to expect on the food front. Seems like these days it's always a crap shoot.

What I found was the preparation of the food in the MDR seems to have improved quite a bit since our last cruise. The taste and flavor was quite good, and I generally found something I wanted. Granted the days of filet mignon, duck, cornish game hen, rack of lamb, steak tartar, escargot, and so on in the MDR appears to be long gone. Cagny's has even eliminated crab cakes from their lunch menu. :( But I had no complaints whatsoever as far as the presentation and preparation of whatever food was offered.

What baffles me is the apparent up and down inconsistency we see on different NCL cruises. One cruise we find the food good, the next not so good, and so on. I'm not sure if it really hinges on the chef in charge of a particular ship (and his staff), or if they constantly change things around.

For those of us who remember the good old days when Freestyle Cruising began, the last few years have seen Norwegian cutting and cutting more of the things that made Freestyle what it was. Here's a short list of just a few:

1. The Souffles at Le Bistro, which were great, are GONE.

2. The Banana Foster at Cagney's is GONE.

3. Espresso at the Specialty Restaurants is now an extra cost.

4. The Colossal Shrimp at Cagney's are no more.

5. The Chocolate Foundue at Le Bistro no longer kept heated at the table.

6. The Onion Soup at Le Bistro no longer topped with gruyere cheese over the bowl-- now the cheese pre-heated on the toast.

7. Anyone remember the WARM creme brulee at Le Bistro?-- also gone.

8. Espresso or Capuccino in the dining rooms is now an extra cost.

9. Effective January 2012, NCL is prohibiting cigar smoking on BALCONIES. For me, this is the opposite of Freestyle. I look forward to smoking 1 fine cigar on my balcony each sea day. If I can't do this anymore on NCL, there are plenty of lines that allow this including Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Carnival.

The little things that made cruising special on Norwegian are slowly being eliminated. I have seen it during the last 3 cruises on NCL (EPIC, Jewel and Sky).

I am heading back to Royal Caribbean and Holland America, where many of the special things have not been eliminated.

We will be going on NCL for the 2nd time next month when we sail on the Epic. Our first was on the Jewel in 2007. I have to say that everything you mentioned as a cut-back would not be noticed by me at all...especially since I did not try any of them the first time I cruised and I don't smoke.

Good luck finding what you want on RCCL or HAL. I don't restrict my sailing to certain lines and find it funny when people do that and then come and constantly complain when the cruiseline no longer lives up to their expectations and yet they continue to sail on them. Cruiselines are making cost cutting decisions. Some people will not be happy with those decisions and would make themselves happier sailing another line...there is nothing wrong with that. Other people will be happy with the changes or not even notice them and will be happy to continue sailing that line. There is nothing wrong with that either. That is why there are so many choices out there when it comes to cruiselines. Have fun on your future cruises.

True--but I think these new "home style" options replaced other (what could perhaps be called) fine dining options. Basically, fewer high end choices that what there used to be (at least on Princess--can't speak to NCL)

Aha! Dinner on the cruise should be better than dinner at TGI McChilbee's Garden. The adage "I never went hungry" is right up there with the all-time classic "Try a boxed wine, some of them aren't so bad."

Sailed on the Jewel in April and had my first colossal shrimp cocktail at Cagney's. When we sailed on the Jewel in October, I so looked forward to Cagney's and when they brought my shrimpy shrimp cocktail, I was really disappointed. I can understand that cutbacks are necessary in general, however, when you pay extra for a specialty restaurant, do not scrimp on the shrimp.

Princess has done the same.

yes they have; it made me smile when I saw it on the menu a few weeks ago. I do rememer sailing years ago (in the gourmet days) and seeing meatloaf of one ship the first and liver and onlions on another (the first night) I think, some of us have been sailing so many years we don't get the same kick we used to and are remembering only the good. Maybe that is positive and maybe not. We still love to walk onto those ships, relax with a drink, find plenty to eat and look forward to our next adventure.

NIta

We were on the Pearl a couple of weeks ago, and weren't quite sure what to expect on the food front. Seems like these days it's always a crap shoot.

What I found was the preparation of the food in the MDR seems to have improved quite a bit since our last cruise. The taste and flavor was quite good, and I generally found something I wanted. Granted the days of filet mignon, duck, cornish game hen, rack of lamb, steak tartar, escargot, and so on in the MDR appears to be long gone. Cagny's has even eliminated crab cakes from their lunch menu. :( But I had no complaints whatsoever as far as the presentation and preparation of whatever food was offered.

What baffles me is the apparent up and down inconsistency we see on different NCL cruises. One cruise we find the food good, the next not so good, and so on. I'm not sure if it really hinges on the chef in charge of a particular ship (and his staff), or if they constantly change things around.

of course it depends on the chef as much as anything else. Isn't this the case on land at the chain restaurants as well? Yes, the overall gourmet style dining is gone unless you want to depend on sur charge restaurants, but the price of cruising is still a bargain. I can live witht he cut backs, as long as I can have some choices. When we do land vacations we don't eat prime rib, lobster, etc nightly, why do we all think it is important on a ship? In our first days of sailing ships did not hold 2000 to 5000 passengers. The demand on the kitchen was nothing compared to what they deal with today. On our last NCL cruise hubby got lamb in the dining room, I had seafood several nights, we had beef stroginoff, and prime rib as well. I don't see the cutbacks all that much, with the exception of the variety and the size of the servings.

Here is an example of a menu in the MDR. I am not listing the salad choices etc but here were the entrees:

Roast Pork Loin

New York Strip

Chicken Breast

Talapia

Lamb Shanks

Roasted Salmon

Plus the always avail: Chicken, Salmon or Sirloin Steak.

of course it depends on the chef as much as anything else. Isn't this the case on land at the chain restaurants as well? Yes, the overall gourmet style dining is gone unless you want to depend on sur charge restaurants, but the price of cruising is still a bargain. I can live witht he cut backs, as long as I can have some choices. When we do land vacations we don't eat prime rib, lobster, etc nightly, why do we all think it is important on a ship? In our first days of sailing ships did not hold 2000 to 5000 passengers. The demand on the kitchen was nothing compared to what they deal with today. On our last NCL cruise hubby got lamb in the dining room, I had seafood several nights, we had beef stroginoff, and prime rib as well. I don't see the cutbacks all that much, with the exception of the variety and the size of the servings.

Because we've come to expect it as a part of the package. But just like anything else this too shall pass. One day the economy will recover and the cruise lines will have to come up with ways to attract new customers and a new generation of cruise line managers will say "hey, I have a great, new idea. Let's give everyone a glass of champagne at boarding!"

Because we've come to expect it as a part of the package. But just like anything else this too shall pass. One day the economy will recover and the cruise lines will have to come up with ways to attract new customers and a new generation of cruise line managers will say "hey, I have a great, new idea. Let's give everyone a glass of champagne at boarding!"

At least somebody gets it!

Here is an example of a menu in the MDR. I am not listing the salad choices etc but here were the entrees:

Roast Pork Loin

New York Strip

Chicken Breast

Talapia

Lamb Shanks

Roasted Salmon

Plus the always avail: Chicken, Salmon or Sirloin Steak.

We always thought that having a special meal in the dining room was part of the cruise experience.

The menu listing posted here seems to be the everyday offerings.

We always thought that having a special meal in the dining room was part of the cruise experience.

I think one of the other drivers in the cutbacks are the changing tastes of the cruising public. Elegance doesn't seem to be in high demand any longer. Not sure what impact this has, but I'm sure it's a factor somehow.

Well I can't say I personally understand this thought process. I am the type of person that wants their belly full eating food that meets my tastebuds. I don't care how fancy it looks when it is served, or how many courses it has. I do not dine, I eat. And I only do that because it is required to stay alive, otherwise I think eating is a total waste of my time when I could be doing other fun things. :)

But I also understand that everyone enjoys things differently so I do not criticize you for this being one of your anticipated enjoyments.

Cost cutting affects everyone in so many different ways of what they used to enjoy, even on land. All companies are trying to find creative ways to cut costs. So they either have to do that or raise the initial cost. If you are willing for your initial cost to be raised to meet rising costs then you should also be willing to pay for an upcharge which would probably work out to be less than raising the initial cost. Yes there have been cuts in the specialties too, but then you would have your dining experience which should meet at least your old MDR experience that you so enjoyed.

I hope that paragraph made sense. I rephrased it a couple times and I'm still not sure whether it met my point :eek:. Guess it's too early in the morning for my brain to be completely working on all cells. ;)

I think one of the other drivers in the cutbacks are the changing tastes of the cruising public. Elegance doesn't seem to be in high demand any longer. Not sure what impact this has, but I'm sure it's a factor somehow.

Well, that's a good point. The 'loss of elegance' must certainly have an impact.

Well I can't say I personally understand this thought process. I am the type of person that wants their belly full eating food that meets my tastebuds. I don't care how fancy it looks when it is served, or how many courses it has. I do not dine, I eat. And I only do that because it is required to stay alive, otherwise I think eating is a total waste of my time when I could be doing other fun things. :)

But I also understand that everyone enjoys things differently so I do not criticize you for this being one of your anticipated enjoyments.

Cost cutting affects everyone in so many different ways of what they used to enjoy, even on land. All companies are trying to find creative ways to cut costs. So they either have to do that or raise the initial cost. If you are willing for your initial cost to be raised to meet rising costs then you should also be willing to pay for an upcharge which would probably work out to be less than raising the initial cost. Yes there have been cuts in the specialties too, but then you would have your dining experience which should meet at least your old MDR experience that you so enjoyed.

I hope that paragraph made sense. I rephrased it a couple times and I'm still not sure whether it met my point :eek:. Guess it's too early in the morning for my brain to be completely working on all cells. ;)

You're making sense. Obviously not everyone looks tio the experience as we do. The cost-cutting a down-sizing of packages is successfully hiding the rampant inflation in the marketplace.

I always figgered that the buffet was where people who didn't really care about what they ate was for. We enjoy a nice meal with good company and we're just hoping the ship can provide at least as nice a meal as either of us can cook. Both of us make a better meatloaf or mac and cheese.:)

I always figgered that the buffet was where people who didn't really care about what they ate was for. We enjoy a nice meal with good company and we're just hoping the ship can provide at least as nice a meal as either of us can cook.

Well if it was up to DH we would do all our meals in the buffet because he likes buffets. I on the other hand will do lunch (I don't eat breakfast) at a buffet, if I have to. I really don't like buffet food, it seems after it's sat there for a while, every dish to my taste buds, taste the same. I've had good luck with the MDRs in getting our food in a timely fashion, even in Cagneys.

You are equating an "eat to fill your belly" person with bad tasting food, but a lot of people make that mistake. As I said, I go for what my tastebuds like, not "I don't care about what I eat" or I don't sit down long enough to eat :). You stated "both of us make a better meatloaf and mac and cheese", which leads me to believe that you do not only eat fancy 5* restaurant food at home. Assuming this to be so, think of us "eat to fill your belly" people as comfortable to eat food in a restaurant what we would eat at home (just someone else gets to cook it and clean up). As long as I like what I'm eating, I'm good to go.

I'm not sure that this is all about the economy...party, yes, but I think it's supply/demand too.

Before, the lines had only a few ships....now they're building new ones...BIGGER ones. The supply of cabins exceeds the demand. In order to fill all those cabins, they have to keep prices low. In order to keep prices low enough to fill cabins and make a profit, they have to cut back.

The more ships they build..and the bigger they are, I feel the more cuts we will experience.

Archived