Airlines adding stops!

JdoggCruiser

Here is my situation: The airline which we are using added a stop to our flight out. It was originally a 1 stop. It now leaves an hour earlier (no big deal) but the 2 stops with kids and a 32 minute layover concerns me. I did call and was told that it was only a minor interruption and I would need to pay a 150 fee per passenger to change. Should I contact a supervisor at the airlines? Can they do this? Im sure there is something in the ticket contract that says they can. Just looking for a little advice.

It may vary by airline, but I'd push a little harder.

We're traveling at the end of January. My initial flight plans went through Detroit, and got us there around 10:30 the night before embarkation. Delta emailed me yesterday morning with a "minor change" in the flight plan--pushing our arrival off another 15 minutes.

I called, and expressed concern that the later time concerned me because of hotel shuttles/etc...

They were happy to switch me... first to a different flight out of Detroit... and then she saw another flight that went through LGA. We now leave later, arrive at 8:15... and shaved 3 hours off from our travel time that day!

The lesson is that when the airline makes a change, that's a great opportunity to see if you can revise your flight plans!

Here is my situation: The airline which we are using added a stop to our flight out. It was originally a 1 stop. It now leaves an hour earlier (no big deal) but the 2 stops with kids and a 32 minute layover concerns me. I did call and was told that it was only a minor interruption and I would need to pay a 150 fee per passenger to change. Should I contact a supervisor at the airlines? Can they do this? Im sure there is something in the ticket contract that says they can. Just looking for a little advice.

I would check the airport your 2nd layover is at.. they have to give you a minimum amount of time for your connection.. 32 mins seems very unreasonable to me.. I know they have a 59 min or something connection time in Atlanta..

Do you have to change planes at the extra stop or is it just a stop on the same plane??

That makes a big difference!

Airlines make schedule changes all the time !

You have the right to accept the change OR if the change makes the trip really difficult for you (by a certain amount of time written in the small print)then you can ask for a different flight. It never hurts to call up and ask.

Air Canada changed our Miami departure time from 2:30 pm to 11:05 am. Many fellow CC'ers told me that might be tight, so I called AC, and they switched my flight because THEY made the change after I booked. Now I get an extra day in the Florida sunshine before heading back to the snow in Montreal!

They should change your flight for free since they made the change after booking.

Let us know how it goes :)

I would check the airport your 2nd layover is at.. they have to give you a minimum amount of time for your connection.. 32 mins seems very unreasonable to me.. I know they have a 59 min or something connection time in Atlanta..

Atlanta has a 30 minute connection time.

If Delta makes the change and it is not good for you, they will change you to another flight at no fee. You have 24 hours from when they told you the change. This has happened several times with me, including just last week concerning my flight to Miami for my upcoming December cruise.

If Delta makes the change and it is not good for you, they will change you to another flight at no fee. You have 24 hours from when they told you the change. This has happened several times with me, including just last week concerning my flight to Miami for my upcoming December cruise.

the problem with Delta is they never email me with the changes although they have my email. Ive only found out about my changes by checking my booking on their website.:mad:

This ^^^

Delta even upgraded our seats to Economy comfort at not charge. The best thing to do is figure out what you want, within reason, call Delta and tell them that their solution won't work for you and instead you want "x-y-z".

If you don't like the answer the first agent gave you call back until you get one that does. 32 minutes is tight if you're alone with a small carry on. Never mind kids.

Point out to them boarding is cut off at 15 min prior to push back or whatever time that airlines policy is...Point out to them if your plane is as much as 5 min late into the gate you could be missing the flight. Point out that they the airline made the change not you....Hope this helps.

Atlanta is 55 minutes according to the Delta rep I spoke to the other day.

Thanks I posted 59 mins.. I thought i was close.. you can't make a change in Atlanta in 32 mins... I dont care who you are.. unless your plane lands and leaves from the next gate:eek:

Atlanta has a 30 minute connection time.

Yep! Surprisingly, that's true.

With that said, there's legal connecting time, and then there's common sense. Booking a trip with a 30 minute connection in Atlanta is calling for trouble. You could easily arrive at gate A1 and depart from E31, a couple of escalators, a train ride, and about a mile away. Even a 10 minute delay can easily mean not making a connecting flight. I live in Atlanta and I would NEVER, EVER book a trip with that type of layover, yet it seems like thousands of passengers voluntarily book trips with minimal layovers and then blame the airline if they don't make their connection.

To the OP: check other flight options on the airline's website first, and then call the airline. Tell them the specific flights you want, don't take NO for an answer, and escalate the call to a manager if necessary. :)

I booked our flight way in advance and it has changed several times. Times changed slightly, aircraft being used, etc. Each time I received the email from Delta I was also given the option to go online and change my flights at no cost if the new changes were not acceptable. You shouldn't have any issues.

Minimum connection time in ATL is 55 minutes. Someone asked for a reference. There are many -- here is one:

http://airtravel.about.com/od/airports/a/minimumconnect.htm

Incidentally, you would assume airlines will not book you with a connection time less than the minimum permitted. Oddly enough, this is not always true. Even worse, if you are so booked and miss your connection, most insurance companies will not pay for any additional costs you incur, even if it was the airline which booked the conflict.

Who said life was fair?

Bill

I am glad you got it changed!

Very often when there is a schedule change like this the COMPUTER changes your booking so the connection times are not always legal ones. That is why you need to call and talk to a live person to get what you want.

Glad it worked out!

Southwest is a totally different experience from most other airlines!!

Just thought I'd add that recently US Air's computer cancelled a flight and rescheduled me with only a 5min time to clear customs and make the next flight!!

Needless to say I called and they would NOT allow me to change flights to fly through any other city sooo they gave me my money back.

Glad you could just change so easily !!

Archived