Is this a realistic budget? Liberty 7-day Western Carib

kwagmyre

Hi all, first time poster, not sure if this is the right forum for this but this is Carnival-specific. We are sailing out on a honeymoon cruise next summer on the Liberty 7 day Western Caribbean itinerary. I'm trying to make a realistic budget budget for planning. Can you look over the budget below and tell me if I'm missing anything?

cruise 2671

travel insurance 250

soda pkg 42

chef's table 150

steak house 60

excursion: dolphins 300

excursion: ziplines 200

excursion: snorkeling 120

excursion: cavetubing/other 200

souveneirs 100

spa/massage 220

drinks (avg 6 * $8.00) 336

wine package 5 100

wine corkage (2@10) 20

gratuity 140

Total: 4909

A few notes:

We are staying in an ocean suite, so that's why the ticket price is a little high. On the soda package, she drinks several cokes a day, and I understand they are small cups, so I think she will get the money out of it. On the wine, we would be planning on bringing on the two allowed bottles of carry-on, plus getting the 5-bottle on-board package. On other drinks, we're not heavy drinkers, so I've budgeted an average of 3 apiece per day (that's an average, I will assume more on sea days/less on port days), and that plus wine with dinner every night for us is pretty realistic.

We are doing the Chef's Table one night, and the steakhouse another night, so those are the prices X2 people. The excursions should be self-explanatory. We are only planning on getting souveniers for the kids, but we believe the best memoirs are the photos you take yourself, hence the low amount for that. We're not big "shoppers". The spa/massage is for two massages on a sea day - we know we can get them cheaper on the beach, and we just may do that. I'm budgeting for the higher amounts. Likewise I know we can probably self-book the excursions cheaper ourselves. I also think the gratuity may come out to more, I planned this out before Carnival upped the rate (I know that's a hot topic, I am fine with the rate increase).

We don't gamble, and don't plan on doing any extra "paid" activities on the boat (just not our thing), so no expenses there. I *MAY* rent a tux for one of the elegant-nites, but only because wify-to-be has always wanted to see me in a tux. Is that available on the ship, and if so, is it expensive?

I've also seen some general guidelines to take your cruise price and double it, so it looks like we're right in the ballpark for that, although that wasn't really the target. Mostly just looking to bring it in at or under $5k, and want to make sure we're not missing anything. Thoughts, comments, especially on any omissions I've committed are appreciated.

Hi all, first time poster, not sure if this is the right forum for this but this is Carnival-specific. We are sailing out on a honeymoon cruise next summer on the Liberty 7 day Western Caribbean itinerary. I'm trying to make a realistic budget budget for planning. Can you look over the budget below and tell me if I'm missing anything?

cruise 2671

travel insurance 250

soda pkg 42

chef's table 150

steak house 60

souveneirs 100

spa/massage 220

wine package 5 100

wine corkage (2@10) 20

gratuity 140

A few notes:

We are staying in an ocean suite, so that's why the ticket price is a little high. On the soda package, she drinks several cokes a day, and I understand they are small cups, so I think she will get the money out of it. On the wine, we would be planning on bringing on the two allowed bottles of carry-on, plus getting the 5-bottle on-board package. On other drinks, we're not heavy drinkers, so I've budgeted an average of 3 apiece per day (that's an average, I will assume more on sea days/less on port days), and that plus wine with dinner every night for us is pretty realistic.

We are doing the Chef's Table one night, and the steakhouse another night, so those are the prices X2 people. The excursions should be self-explanatory. We are only planning on getting souveniers for the kids, but we believe the best memoirs are the photos you take yourself, hence the low amount for that. We're not big "shoppers". The spa/massage is for two massages on a sea day - we know we can get them cheaper on the beach, and we just may do that. I'm budgeting for the higher amounts. Likewise I know we can probably self-book the excursions cheaper ourselves. I also think the gratuity may come out to more, I planned this out before Carnival upped the rate (I know that's a hot topic, I am fine with the rate increase).

We don't gamble, and don't plan on doing any extra "paid" activities on the boat (just not our thing), so no expenses there. I *MAY* rent a tux for one of the elegant-nites, but only because wify-to-be has always wanted to see me in a tux. Is that available on the ship, and if so, is it expensive?

I've also seen some general guidelines to take your cruise price and double it, so it looks like we're right in the ballpark for that, although that wasn't really the target. Mostly just looking to bring it in at or under $5k, and want to make sure we're not missing anything. Thoughts, comments, especially on any omissions I've committed are appreciated.

you can cut that down to 3k. get rid of all those pricy expenses.

bring on a bottle of booze, or if the scares you, but some through bon voyage.

Are you driving or flying? Either way, I don't see the expense for parking or transfers/taxis. If flying, recommended to fly in the day before, so the pre-cruise hotel and food expenses might need added as well as the cost of airfare or gas.

The gratuties did go up - so add that. And if you haven't gotten the insurance yet, shop around, IMO that seems high. Try insuremytrip dot com.

P.s. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Enjoy your cruise.

You can carry on two bottles of wine (one each) so that can reduce your wine price since wine from a liquor store is cheaper. Plus, they only charge a corkage fee if you have them open the bottles in the dining room... we would open our own bottles in our room and carry our glasses into the MDR with no issues and no fee!

And also, you can remove/adjust the gratuity at the end of your cruise if you so desire... just tip in cash at the beginning and every once in a while in cash so your room steward takes care of you.

Those three things can save you around $220!

You might want to buy a few drink tickets - it's 4 drinks (valued $5.75 or less each) for $23.

Sounds like a terribly expensive cruise to me, but hey it is your honeymoon. You can cut down on the shore excursion prices by booking with an independent tour company, rather than the ship's offerings. Also massages are much cheaper on shore than on the ship.

Are you driving or flying? Either way, I don't see the expense for parking or transfers/taxis. If flying, recommended to fly in the day before, so the pre-cruise hotel and food expenses might need added as well as the cost of airfare or gas.

The gratuties did go up - so add that. And if you haven't gotten the insurance yet, shop around, IMO that seems high. Try insuremytrip dot com.

P.s. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Enjoy your cruise.

All good catches. My parents live in Davie, FL (about an hour from Miami), so right now the plan is to drive in, and hopefully park the car at their house, and have them drive us to the terminal, so no parking/transfer fees. I am accounting for the price of gas/hotel on the way there, but I would incur those expenses no matter what trip we take, so I'm mentally counting them separate from the "cruise" cost, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the info on the travel insurance. We are booking through AAA, so maybe that's a profit-center for them. Is it ok to get the insurance from somewhere else, even if booked through an agent?

Thanks for your well-wishes.

I think because as you've mentioned you've taken a "most expensive case" scenario, you'll end up spending less. That said, there are some things you didn't specifically budget for.

You mentioned photos, but didn't include that in your budget. So consider whether you will be buying any photos on board (typically around $25 per). If you're taking your own, will you print them out (or is that also out of scope)?

Communications costs are another hidden expense. I don't typically make cell phone calls from the ship ($3-4 per minute, or so, I think), but I'll turn my phone on in port to get email, text messages, etc.I also like to look things up via my phone's internet connection (e.g., historical sites on Wikipedia). In addition, despite all the best planning, we often find we need to buy some on-ship minutes for the ship's very slow internet service. ($5 for the first minute and 75 cents for every subsequent minute). I might add another $100 - $125 for a 9-day trip that includes a 7-day cruise to cover cell phone/data/internet charges.

I think because as you've mentioned you've taken a "most expensive case" scenario, you'll end up spending less.

That's the idea, and the hope. But even if we max out, no prob, so long as we plan for it.

You mentioned photos, but didn't include that in your budget. So consider whether you will be buying any photos on board (typically around $25 per). If you're taking your own, will you print them out (or is that also out of scope)?

Good points. We're not big on "photo packages", we both think that candid/self-made shots are a lot better anyway. If we do any of this, I will probably limit it to one, maybe for the elegant-night just to have it. We have six kids between us, so we're very used to saying "no" to photo vendors ;)

Communications costs are another hidden expense. I don't typically make cell phone calls from the ship ($3-4 per minute, or so, I think), but I'll turn my phone on in port to get email, text messages, etc.I also like to look things up via my phone's internet connection (e.g., historical sites on Wikipedia). In addition, despite all the best planning, we often find we need to buy some on-ship minutes for the ship's very slow internet service. ($5 for the first minute and 75 cents for every subsequent minute). I might add another $100 - $125 for a 9-day trip that includes a 7-day cruise to cover cell phone/data/internet charges.

Good points. Right now, the PLAN is to take netbook/tablet and keep in touch through email via Internet cafes at ports. Phone would be reserved for emergencies only. But of course, I am very well aware that plan could change. Hopefully I can keep this cost low by only using shore-based comms, after all going "off the grid" is, to me, one of the whole points of a vacation like this. But you are right, I need to plan for this expense either way.

We just got back from our second honeymoon. This JMO.

if you enjoy drinks that will be the main expense. Hubby and I spent $1000 on our s&s included drinks photo bingo and wine at dinner. I figures $100 per port for souvenirs and etc. Excursion on the safe side I figure $100 pp per port. All this said we do not scimp on vacation. We eat drink and buy what we want. After all it is vacation.

Happy sailing!!

I think the insurance and excursion prices seem pretty high for two people. You are allowed to book your trip with that agency and purchase insurance through another company. I used that agency last year for our Hawaii trip, but purchased insurance through smartmouth dot com. Insuremytrip dot com is also a good source. Don't be afraid to book your excursions through local vendors (not Carnival), or even do some DIY things. You will save a lot of money that way. You have plenty of time. Go to the Port of Call boards and see what some of the more popular excursions are at each of your ports. Also, sign up on the roll call for your sailing. You will usually find some good ideas there for things fun things to do.

Congratulations on your wedding.

|The carnival web site is free onboard. There is a section in the forums entitled"currently on board". Create a new thread and use that to post back and forth. We did that this last oct with our son. Worked as well as emailing and was free!

You can probalby shave about $150 off the insurance bill by using insuremytrip.

And congrats!

baf

cruise 2671

travel insurance 250

soda pkg 42

chef's table 150

steak house 60

souveneirs 100

spa/massage 220

wine package 5 100

wine corkage (2@10) 20

gratuity 140

A few notes:

There are a lot of things that you can do to lose about $1000 from that amount.

1. Buy your insurance from insuremytrip .com It will not be close to $250 and you will get better coverage.

2. Think twice about the wine package. If you go to the steakhouse the first night you get a free bottle of wine and wine is included at the chef's table.

3. Book excursions on your own, not through Carnival, you will save 50%, go with a lot fewer people and basically do the identical excursion. It also looks like you are trying to cram every day full. Instead go buy some snorkel gear and go to a beach instead of doing a snorkel excursion.

4. Get a massage on a beach instead of the ship, more romantic and only about $30 - $40 for an hour massage.

5. Open your wine in the cabin and take the bottle with you to dinner and save the corkage fee.

6. Double or triple the souvenir budget, you will end up buying her some piece of jewelery.

7. Prepay gratuities, so that they are taken care of. BTW they are now $11.50 PP/PD so you need to add $21 to you budgeted amount.

8. Bring 2 12 packs of soda on board with you and forget the soda card.

Enjoy yourself.

You're also allowed to take 12 sodas each on board. As long as she won't go through 24 sodas until your first port, they'll allow you to bring on cases of soda from the port stop to the boat. You can also sneak liquor from the ports on the boat as long as its in an all plastic bottle and remains on your person.

This cuts out the need for a soda card and some of the drink expenses.

1. Buy your insurance from insuremytrip .com It will not be close to $250 and you will get better coverage.

Yeah, looks like I can save about $130 by doing that.

2. Think twice about the wine package. If you go to the steakhouse the first night you get a free bottle of wine and wine is included at the chef's table.

Ahhh... I knew that about the chef's table, I did NOT know that about the steak house. Combined with the allowed carry-ons, that pretty much does away with the need for the wine package. :cool:

3. Book excursions on your own, not through Carnival, you will save 50%, go with a lot fewer people and basically do the identical excursion. It also looks like you are trying to cram every day full. Instead go buy some snorkel gear and go to a beach instead of doing a snorkel excursion.

Yeah... that's pretty much already exactly what I was considering for Grand Cayman - seems like all the best snorkeling there is right by the beaches anyway. I'm just planning for the high-side of things. I'd rather budget too much than not enough.

4. Get a massage on a beach instead of the ship, more romantic and only about $30 - $40 for an hour massage.

Lots of people have said this (in other threads I've seen). Do they really have this in every port? Including the tender ports? Love the idea of it.

8. Bring 2 12 packs of soda on board with you and forget the soda card.

We were planning on using the "2 12 packs non-alcoholic" for bottled water. I know, I know, "water is free on the ship". Maybe so, but I've seen in several places now that the treated water makes their feet swell, and she already has issues with that. And me, I just drink a lot of water normally anyway. At $2.50 a bottle (ship price), a case of water already puts me ahead me ahead by 60 bucks!

Thanks for all the tips.

I would bring my own soda onboard. You can replenish in the ports.

Also, I have brought more than two bottles of wine onboard. Opening the bottle in your cabin does not mean you save on the corkage. That is not what a corkage fee is about. Maybe just take a glass with you to dinner.

Definitely do independent excursions to save a lot of money. Perhaps you could buy some snorkeling gear and bring it along in order to save $$$$ for an excursion. Places like Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel offer two-hour snorkeling trips for $15 to $20 a person. You can also get beach massages there and numerous other places. Costa Maya is known for having one-hour massages for $20.

|The carnival web site is free onboard. There is a section in the forums entitled"currently on board". Create a new thread and use that to post back and forth. We did that this last oct with our son. Worked as well as emailing and was free!

You can probalby shave about $150 off the insurance bill by using insuremytrip.

And congrats!

baf

Good to know! Are there any other lines that offer such a forum?

You forgot to factor in 15% "gratuity" for the wine package 5. I think my total came to about $125.

On the last day you can get the 5 spa special for $79 + tip, came out to $95. But wait until the last day and it included 5 different treatments, hair treatment, foot/ankle massage, head/scalp massage, arm/shoulder/neck massage, and eye treatment for puffy/dark circle eyes. This special came on the last 2 days of our cruise, it's not a full body massage, but you can add the back for $30. Alot of people mention getting it on the beach, but I'd rather know that a professional was touching my body and not some woman looking to make a few quick bucks. Anyway, you'll need a massage by the end of your cruise if you are going to be active in ports the other days.

You forgot to factor in 15% "gratuity" for the wine package 5. I think my total came to about $125.

On the last day you can get the 5 spa special for $79 + tip, came out to $95. But wait until the last day and it included 5 different treatments, hair treatment, foot/ankle massage, head/scalp massage, arm/shoulder/neck massage, and eye treatment for puffy/dark circle eyes. This special came on the last 2 days of our cruise, it's not a full body massage, but you can add the back for $30. Alot of people mention getting it on the beach, but I'd rather know that a professional was touching my body and not some woman looking to make a few quick bucks. Anyway, you'll need a massage by the end of your cruise if you are going to be active in ports the other days.

In Costa Maya at Nohoch Kay, the lady that I had was a professional massause. I liked the massage so much, I went back after a few hours and had another one.

Hmmmm, No offense, but If I was planning on spending $5,000 on a cruise for 2 people, I would NOT be looking at Carnival!

They do offer a great product, but it's a budget product. i don't mean it in a derogatory way, but lets be realistic here.

As others have mentioned, you can definitely cut down on that amount by making some simple adjustments.

Archived