Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

:confused: Welcome to the club! We just went to the ship briefing on the subject and are more confused than ever. I hope we will figure it out by tomorrow. Odd that we have to have our bill paid THREE DAYS before we get off the ship and then pay any other bills in cash or by credit. Haven't encountered that before.

Today was the cast off party from Yalta, where we all gathered on the sun deck and were each handed a glass of champagne and a bill for it!!! :eek:

Absolutely does not sound right!!!!!! Contact Viking immediately. Don't wait until you get home. TellUs@vikingcruises.com (This is the address that Viking has published many times on CC when folks have reported problems).

On our trip, accounts were paid the day before the tour ended, not three days before the end. Once the accounts were closed all further charges were UAH or credit card (but we are talking the evening before and the morning of disembarkation).

Drinks should never be put into your hand along with a bill; that is not the Viking way of doing things. Yell and scream until they remove the charge from your bill--and include it in your report to Viking.

Although I’d agree with you I still think in order to learn something we need to try it too. In our case after this cruise we’ve learned our lesson and decided not to go to either Russia or China in the near future. And to me Kherson or Yaroslavl in Russia is more run of the mill destination than let’s say Antwerp, Belgium. We’ll stick with Europe for now…

Don't give up so quickly on China. Our trip to China with Viking was the best trip we have ever taken--head and shoulders above "Footsteps" even though they are run by the same company. China has the tourism infrastructure that Russia and Ukraine entirely lack and they are a very welcoming and gracious people.

we have to have our bill paid THREE DAYS before we get off the ship and then pay any other bills in cash or by credit. Haven't encountered that before.

Today was the cast off party from Yalta, where we all gathered on the sun deck and were each handed a glass of champagne and a bill for it!!! :eek:

Same on our cruise: champagne and a bill and had to close an

account first morning in Odessa.

However, all that said, tonight was the Captain's Dinner and it reminded me of all the top notch meals we have had on Viking. It was perfection, and the mushroom veloute to die for. Thank goodness there is still goodness in the Viking kitchen!! :)

See, as I told you, after this cruise first thing you'll remember will be the Viking kitchen. :) Unfortunately that's it...

I just checked out the website. I didn't see any passenger ships listed in its fleet, only cargo ships. Are you sure that this is the company that owns the Lomonosov?

I just googled it and not completely sure, but someone from the crew told me ukrrichflot is the owner of Lomonosov and many if not all river ships in Ukraine.

The other company doing Ukraine cruises is http://www.ruta-cruisedotcom/en

We actually passed 3 of their ships on our way to Odessa.

Edited by id est

I just googled it and not completely sure, but someone from the crew told me ukrrichflot is the owner of Lomonosov and many if not all river ships in Ukraine.

The other company doing Ukraine cruises is www.ruta-cruisedotcom/en

We actually passed 3 of their ships on our way to Odessa.

Yes, I saw that ship but it is a cargo ship with the same name. I did find the M.V. Lomonosov, the passenger ship on another website but the current owner was listed simply as 'private company.'

The link you just posted is incorrect; when I clicked on it it came up as an error. However, CC won't accept the proper address (it blanks it out because of its policies) so to reach the site, you need to change the word dot to an actual dot, as in .com . Chevrona Ruta operates 4 ships under its own name.

I was reading some of the stops offered. Viking used to stop at Kanev, Kremenchug and another place along the river (I can't remember the name) but got so many complaints from passengers about the stops having little of interest to see other than factories and Soviet monuments that they adjusted the itinerary to spend more time in Sevastopol and Yalta. Please, this is not a criticism of Chevrona (I don't know anything about the company), just an explanation of why Viking doesn't go to these places and perhaps food for thought for those choosing a cruise provider or trying decide on an itinerary .

Edited by Peregrina651

Just as quick note. I was without internet access for about 5 days, 3 in Istanbul and 2 here at home (the 3 in Istanbul was problem with the hotel, which they were happy to fix, but we were so busy I just didn't have time to even think about journal entries. However, we are now home, have internet access again, and I have just finished loading the last entries.

Istanbul was quite an experience. I loved it. I hated it. I loved it again. We were fortunate to have a wonderful guide, Ibi, whom I would recommend to anyone. Now I have to think about writing a review for CC.

Edited by BlueAngel1009
link not working; removed.

We're doing the Kiev extention. Now the "what am I forgetting" starts in both for the trip and at home. We have a housesitter coming in to take care of our kitties, just hope they behave. We've had a lot of howling at night, hair balls and acting out the past few days. We usually try to pack while they are napping, but it didn't work this time. Not looking forward to the long plane rides--we upgraded to econ +, for what that's worth on UA.

Not looking forward to the long plane rides--we upgraded to econ +' date=' for what that's worth on UA.[/quote']

we tried to upgrade but Lufthansa doesn't have that option. I hate travel days. There were so many check/x-ray points in Frankfurt that I theatened to give up and just move to Frankfort.

Now the "what am I forgetting" starts in

IMHO, as long as you have your meds (prescription and OTC) and all of the wires and chargers that you need for ALL of you electronics (cameras, iPods, iPads, phones), you are fine. Anything else can that is forgotten can either be gotten there or worked around. Don't forget a plug adapter for your chargers. In fact, take two, if you have them, then you can have multiple items charging at once.

Not sure? Bring your smart phone. Turn off mobile data (very expensive) and connect to the internet via the ship's wi-fi for free. It's a bit slow but it connects. You can get your e-mail and connect to the internet from your phone to check facebook, twitter, etc.

Speaking of the ship's wi-fi. You will need a password for each device that you wish to connect from.

I did for the first day, then they set me up with one password (my name + cabin number) which was good fo both my laptop and my iPad.

This is how it worked for us, too, but we found out as the week progressed that unless you asked just the right question, you had to keep going back for internet codes for 30 minutes at a time!

As people watched each other, we finally passed the word around.

And another interesting note: I lost my iPad en route to Odessa (left it in the Munich airport bathroom!). I had technology withdrawal for a day before I decided to bite the bullet and just use my iPhone for everything- email, web browsing, movie & book downloads, etc. I dreaded that next wireless bill, BUT I had no additional charge on my bill. Go figure. I did not use it to text or call, but spent hours and hours on line during the trip.

And since I never put a pass code on my iPad, when it was found by Polish Airlines, they contacted me to arrange returning it. Thanks to Olga of Odessa Walks (great private tour company in Odessa) who volunteered to go to the airport to retrieve it.

Well, I know I haven't been that active lately.

I packed. Sort of. This is the most disorganized packing I've ever done. I just threw things into the suitcase as they came out of the dryer. I know the suitcase is way under 40 pounds because I can lift it and I can't lift 40 pounds. I packed some clothes that I'll leave on the ship, if I need extra room on the way back.

As for the carry-on...

My purse fits into my carry-on, the cute little travel case Viking sent doesn't quite hold the Kindle, which already had a case/protector, but I'll make it work.

I thought that since my grandparents left Europe on German ships, I'd return on a German plane, but unfortunately, Lufthansa got code-shared into United. I downloaded a Frankfurt app, unfortunately the terminal map is in German. Well, I'm not above playing the clueless American, a role I've perfected over the years!

I obsessed about coats long enough (as Silkismom knows!) that I finally bought myself a new one with a zip out lining.

I'm sure I forgot something, but I still have tonight and tomorrow to remember.

Thanks for all of the tips and advice from everyone over the past year and a half.

Lots of practical advice, the funniest of which I thought was that the pork loin was actually port butt!

I actually like pork loin, and I make a delicious pork loin Picatta, from a Weight Watcher's recipe, but I'll be sure to not order that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Grandcruisevirgin

I lost my iPad en route to Odessa (left it in the Munich airport bathroom!). I had technology withdrawal for a day before I decided to bite the bullet and just use my iPhone for everything- email, web browsing, movie & book downloads, etc. I dreaded that next wireless bill, BUT I had no additional charge on my bill. Go figure. I did not use it to text or call, but spent hours and hours on line during the trip.

Arghhh. My biggest fear. I think I spent more time checking to make sure I had both my iPad and laptop the whole trip. I'm so glad you were able to get yours back (I'll be curious to know how large your wireless bill is...in the "mortage the house" range?)