Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

My heart breaks for the people in Kiev. If you haven't done your cruise yet, you can't imagine how beautiful the downtown area is....was....

You can't imagine what the older people there, such as the city tour guide, Lila, have gone through in their life - war, starvation, communism, freedom for the past 20 years, and now to be going through all of this again.

Lila was in her late 70s and lived in a 7th or 8th floor apartment with her husband. Officially 'retired' - meaning too old to teach school, she found a job with Viking and that salary and tips - for which she was extremely grateful - supplemented her 'pension,' which wasn't much, since most of that was earned under the USSR, not Ukraine.

I wish I had gotten her email address, so I could contact her now.

GCV, agreed. It is heartbreaking what is happening in Kiev.

Lila was our guide in Kiev as well. We learned a lot from her--and covered a lot of ground in the process. Hope she and anyone on the Viking team based in Kiev are doing well in all this turmoil.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad that we did the cruise last fall (w/grandcruise etc), I'm afraid it will be a long time before things settle down there. Wonder if Viking will even do their cruises this year, has anyone heard anything? I feel so sorry for Lila and all the ship's employees, wonder how they're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been checking the Viking website every now and then to see if they have posted any information about the status of their cruises in Ukraine.

They do have a page where they put Updates to Current Sailings and, as I write in mid-March, it says that all itineraries are sailing as scheduled. I've also looked on the itinerary pages for Footsteps for any news.

I wish that VRC would at least post a statement on their website acknowledging the current problems in Ukraine and stating when they expect to make a sail/no-sail announcement. This would certainly be better than silence and leaving us to guess and rumorize as to what is going on. Even, "it is too soon to make any decisions" is better than silence.

Someone has started a thread about cancellations of Ukraine cruises and so as to keep all pertinent information and conversation in one spot, I'm going to urge that conversation about the cancellation issue be carried on in that thread and not here.

In the meantime, our thoughts are with the people of Ukraine, and especially the Viking personnel we got to know while there.

OK, the vote in the Crimea happened today and it appears that the Crimea is going to try to join Russia in one fashion or another. Obviously, it is too early to know what is going to happen for the summer cruise season, but still.

When I paid for my Cruise, Footsteps of the Cossacks, there were no visa's required for US citizens. Russia requires visas, that are very difficult to obtain and are costly. I know because I looked into it last year for an Oceania cruise that included St. Petersburg. One of the things that is associated with St Pete's is that if you go on the cruiseship tours or those from registered guides, they you are allowed to be exempted from your getting a visa and the tour group obtains temporary permission to enter Russia.

My question is if my wife and I are going to need to get Russian visas or if Viking will arrange for the visas (I doubt it) or if they can take care of our off boat excursions for US citizens (I only thought that St. Pete's had the exception from a visa)?

If we are required to have Russian visa's to exit the ship at Sevastopol and Yalta, then either we or Viking needs to start moving to acquire them pretty soon.

Anyone heard anything. I know Viking sent me an email asking me to extend my trip by 2 days either in Odessa or in Kiev, so they sure think that there should be no problem on those ends.

P.S. My heart breaks for the people of the Ukraine and what Russia is doing.

OK, the vote in the Crimea happened today and it appears that the Crimea is going to try to join Russia in one fashion or another. Obviously, it is too early to know what is going to happen for the summer cruise season, but still.

When I paid for my Cruise, Footsteps of the Cossacks, there were no visa's required for US citizens. Russia requires visas, that are very difficult to obtain and are costly. I know because I looked into it last year for an Oceania cruise that included St. Petersburg. One of the things that is associated with St Pete's is that if you go on the cruiseship tours or those from registered guides, they you are allowed to be exempted from your getting a visa and the tour group obtains temporary permission to enter Russia.

My question is if my wife and I are going to need to get Russian visas or if Viking will arrange for the visas (I doubt it) or if they can take care of our off boat excursions for US citizens (I only thought that St. Pete's had the exception from a visa)?

If we are required to have Russian visa's to exit the ship at Sevastopol and Yalta, then either we or Viking needs to start moving to acquire them pretty soon.

Anyone heard anything. I know Viking sent me an email asking me to extend my trip by 2 days either in Odessa or in Kiev, so they sure think that there should be no problem on those ends.

P.S. My heart breaks for the people of the Ukraine and what Russia is doing.

Robert32asp, I know you want answers and these are very important questions BUT these questions about visas are questions that we should not be attempting to answer for you and you should understand that anything we might say is simply hearsay--it won't stand up when you tell the man in the customs booth, "Well, that's what they told me on Cruise Critic." We don't know and we can't speak for the countries involved. Answers on these issues must come directly from Viking and from the consulates of the countries involved; it is the only way that you know that you are getting a reliable answer.

Ladies and gentlemen, please, please, please let's not play guessing games and try to conjecture what Viking will or will not do. We could go on for pages playing guessing games but IMHO this is one of those times when we should keep these thoughts to ourselves. Guessing games turn into rumors and rumors then have this way of turning into 'facts' that just muddy the waters and confuse people who are looking for solid, reliable information. Let's avoid the conversations about what we think Viking may or may not do. It just isn't helpful to anyone and could even prove harmful.

Robert32asp, I know you want answers and these are very important questions BUT these questions about visas are questions that we should not be attempting to answer for you and .... Answers on these issues must come directly from Viking and from the consulates of the countries involved; it is the only way that you know that you are getting a reliable answer.

Let's avoid the conversations about what we think Viking may or may not do. It just isn't helpful to anyone and could even prove harmful.

If Viking were willing to provide answers then your advise would be right on target. Unfortunately, their business model for customer service and customer loyalty appears different.

I wrote to Viking about the same time I posted my comments, reminding them that their cruise includes tours in the Crimea. I asked if they would provide either a Russian Visa letter of introduction, help with obtaining a visa or some credit for this "new" burden on their customers.

Their customer focused response was...

At this time we must advise that Viking Cruises does not have sailings scheduled in Ukraine until May. At this point we have not altered any sailings and have not noticed significant passenger cancellations, but we are monitoring the political climate in Ukraine closely and will continue to do so in the coming weeks. At present, the Ukraine trip itself does not require that passengers from the US obtain a Visa. If the government in Ukraine decides to require Visa for travel into the Ukraine then yes, you would then be responsible for this additional purchase. If Russia occupies parts of the Ukraine and then requires a Visa, then yes, a Russian Visa would be required. We have no current information on this topic, if you would like to speak with the experts in this subject, please call Generations Visa Service, 1-800-845-8968. Note: Viking River Cruises accepts no responsibility for obtaining required visas nor for advising guests of visa or other immigration requirements.

It takes a fairly long time to get a Russian visa and it is fairly expensive. In the meantime, the amount of money lost by waiting to cancel seems to fly by.

Viking is loosing a lot of my respect at this point.

Robert32asp, I know you want answers and these are very important questions BUT these questions about visas are questions that we should not be attempting to answer for you and you should understand that anything we might say is simply hearsay--it won't stand up when you tell the man in the customs booth, "Well, that's what they told me on Cruise Critic." We don't know and we can't speak for the countries involved. Answers on these issues must come directly from Viking and from the consulates of the countries involved; it is the only way that you know that you are getting a reliable answer.

Ladies and gentlemen, please, please, please let's not play guessing games and try to conjecture what Viking will or will not do. We could go on for pages playing guessing games but IMHO this is one of those times when we should keep these thoughts to ourselves. Guessing games turn into rumors and rumors then have this way of turning into 'facts' that just muddy the waters and confuse people who are looking for solid, reliable information. Let's avoid the conversations about what we think Viking may or may not do. It just isn't helpful to anyone and could even prove harmful.

To quote:

"Answers on these issues must come directly from Viking"

Precisely, and if you could put down your Viking cheerleader pom-poms long enough to actually understand what you said, it is way past time for Viking to step up and give the best answer they can at the present time.

If Viking were willing to provide answers then your advise would be right on target.

Regardless of Viking's reply, I maintain my position. Cruise Critic is not the place for anyone to get answers about visa requirements for a particular country. We can talk about the visa process and our experiences in obtaining them but we can't advise you about what those regulations are much less should we engage in speculating which visas will be needed for an itinerary where the political situation is in so much turmoil and changing daily.

I'm glad we went last year--think we'd change our plans now.

Yes, I feel the same way. It is a very difficult and complicated situation. Because of family history along the Dnieper, I think that I would probably postpone rather than cancel-- but only as long as the cruise were now a Ukraine only itinerary. The current regime in Russia makes it difficult for me to want to visit there at this time under any circumstances.

Yes, I feel the same way. It is a very difficult and complicated situation. Because of family history along the Dnieper, I think that I would probably postpone rather than cancel-- but only as long as the cruise were now a Ukraine only itinerary. The current regime in Russia makes it difficult for me to want to visit there at this time under any circumstances.

I was hoping to have visited the ancestral family farm just outside of Odessa. Odessa is one of those cities that could go either way if Russia pushes out of the Crimea. My hope would be that it would remain with the Ukraine, but the history I have learned about the Ukraine is full of rule by others.

I would have like to have seen Sevastopol & Yalta for their historic importance to the country and former shadows of Soviet domination. Not sure I like the idea of Russian domination.

Again, my wife and I had been planing this trip for over half a year, closer to the end of last summer. She has already started to come up with a plan B of what we might see in other parts of Europe with the same plan fare that we booked independent from Viking. Still we would both prefer the cruise and extensions we have organized.

Strangely, most of the hotels she booked in Odessa, Kyiv (Kiev) and Lviv didn't have cancelation penalties and haven't changed their prices. This makes me wonder if the whole country and country's tourist industry is just holding their breath to figure out what might happen.

I got a phone call from Viking today. The person who talked to me understood customer service. She had read my cruise critic posts and my facebook post. She told me that the response I got earlier from Viking was a mistake for which she apologized.

She said that if needed that Viking would provide letters of introduction/invitation so that a Russian visa can be acquired. She also said that their St. Pete's office is working on seeing if they can get a special temporary visa (like in St. Pete's) for groups of passengers on tours that are include within the Footsteps of the Cossacks package of services.

She also said that she understood my concern or having to cancel within 2 weeks for a $100/per person loss or canceling after that for significant money under the % of ticket price policy. She assured me that they didn't want me to loose any money and would provide me with options, including rebooking on other European or other of their cruises (depending on availability and ticket prices) or allow for an extension to another year for the same tour.

She said she expected that either they would have some kind of announcement or contact booked passengers in the near future to explain their options. In the mean time she told me if passengers have concerns, call Viking as reservation agents are now being trained to deal with some of these questions or forward passengers to people who can speak for the company.

Still nothing in concrete or writing, but at least I feel I have been heard and people who understand customer service and the hospitality industry are on point. That is restoring some of the positive feeling toward Viking.

I will let you learn more if I hear more. Thanks everyone!

Well today is day 121 before my cruise departure. I had hoped that Viking would have gotten back to me. The days snuck up on me faster than I had anticipated. As such I am faced with either a very modest $100/person cancelation penalty or something that will get pretty costly very soone.

Tonight my wife and I will discuss what we want to do. I had hoped that I would have gotten something (concrete) from Viking indicating that we might have more time, in light of all that is happening in Crimea, where two of the stops are on the Footsteps fo the Cossacks cruise.

I have had the opportunity to interact with some really great Viking customer service representatives and some who have really not impressed me. The people who didn't impress me were the person who responded to my inquiry posted on the Viking website and the management team that isn't budging on the 121-day cancelation deadline.

What a shame that this incident is going to cloud my future feelings about Viking.

I guess my fears regarding Russian visa regulations being imposed on Crimea are not just my fears anymore. I saw the following article in the Kiev The Day, on line newspaper. It is the best visa information I have found.

http://www.day.kiev.ua/en/article/day-after-day/europeans-blocked-entering-crimea-without-visa

Europeans blocked from entering Crimea without a visa

3 April, 2014 - 11:19

print_icon.gifmail_icon.gif

From now on, foreign nationals who enjoy the benefits of visa-free regime with Ukraine will have to obtain a Russian visa to enter Crimea. Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) explained it as follows: “Due to Crimea and Sevastopol’s incorporation into the Russian Federation, foreign nations wishing to visit Crimea have to obtain a Russian visa in a diplomatic missions or consular office of the Russian Federation,” the ministry’s website says.

However, the MFA of Ukraine said on April 1 that foreigners had to enter the territory of Ukraine’s Autonomous Republic of Crimea and Sevastopol “in accordance with the laws and international treaties of Ukraine. Foreigners from nations that Ukraine has visa regime with should apply for a visa to embassies or consular offices of Ukraine abroad,” the MFA’s statement reads. It also states that failure to comply with the laws of Ukraine by foreigners during their entry and stay in Crimea will entail “responsibility according to the laws of Ukraine.” It can also lead “to the imposition of international sanctions on them as individuals who support the temporary occupation of Ukrainian territory.”

The Day has learned at the Russian Embassy in Kyiv that Ukrainians may enter the Crimean peninsula without needing a visa, provided they have internal or travel passport. However, foreigners from countries having visa regime with Russia must obtain a permit. An embassy official said that foreigners needing it should apply to Russia’s “consular offices in Kharkiv, Odesa, Lviv, and Kyiv.”

According to the analyst at the University of Warsaw’s Institute of International Relations Andrzej SZEPTYCKI, tourists will be, especially in this very uncertain time, boycotting both Crimea and mainland Ukraine. “Russia has annexed Crimea and considers the peninsula to be its constituent part.

Therefore, it tries to apply Russian law at all levels. This applies to switching to Moscow time, which occurred on March 30, as well as economic policy, which Dmitry Medvedev outlined in Crimea on March 31, and this also applies to visa policy,” Szeptycki said in his comment for The Day.

However, he, being a Pole, does not like the introduction by Russia of a visa regime in Crimea. “Firstly, the annexation of Crimea is an issue of itself. I do not like that one European country has committed an act of aggression against another, contrary to the principles of international law. Secondly, as a citizen of Poland, I could enter Crimea without a visa to visit Bakhchysarai or relax on the Black Sea coast just three months ago. I also do not like that it has changed, but this is a logical outcome of Russian policy,” the expert added.

On the question of how foreign nations will respond to this situation, Szeptycki said: “As the US and Europe do not recognize the annexation of the Crimea, they will not open their consulates there. Poland had a consulate in Sevastopol, but it closed a few days ago. That is, obtaining a visa is becoming problematic for residents of the peninsula. To do this, they need to go somewhere else. In addition, the Western nations’ consulates will not recognize Crimeans’ Russian passports.”

By Ihor SAMOKYSH, The Day

We were booked on the vVking trip to the Ukraine on September 16th. We have taken their option of transferring to another cruise as they are now going to Romania instead of Crimea on the earlier cruises. They say they have not made a decision on September. In the UK we have to pay 25% as a deposit, so we would have lost approx £1600 by just cancelling.

My trip was in August. I am not sure what there overall policy is, so don't count on this happening to you.

I got a pleasant surprise when I opened my emails this morning. Viking for a modest cost of $200, bought some goodwill with my wife and me. There may be another Viking cruise in our future. But if so, I will study the iternerary from a geo-political stability perspective.

Thank you for submitting your cancellation request. Viking has approved waiving the cancellation fees, so you will be receiving a full refund. The refund will be electronically sent to the bank account used for E-check. Accounting will process this refund in two to four weeks.

Kind regards,

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that I would add a newspaper article on some of the uncertainty within the Crimea area, now part of Russia. I am glad I canceled when I did. Hopefully in a year or so I can reschedule the trip I had dreamed of.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/22/world/europe/under-russia-life-in-crimea-grows-chaotic.html?hp&_r=0

• 1 month later...
I just feel sorry for all the hard workers on the ship, bus drivers etc. Wonder where the ship is being stored?

Agreed. Even though it was a May to October gig for the hotel staff etc., it was a good gig in a country with high unemployment.

As for the ship, it is Ukrainian owned and operated and leased to Viking. Beyond that, all is speculation.

I just got a new 2014-2015 brochure from Viking and the "Footprints of the Cossacks" isn't even listed. They have only one "Russian" trip from St. Petersburg to Moscow. Interesting!

I'm so glad that we took the trip last year.

Doris Betty

I just got a new 2014-2015 brochure from Viking and the "Footprints of the Cossacks" isn't even listed. They have only one "Russian" trip from St. Petersburg to Moscow. Interesting!

I'm so glad that we took the trip last year.

Doris Betty

At one point, they had a couple of different options in Russia but now they seem to be back to just one itinerary.

I did check for "Footsteps" on the website and it is still listed for 2015. At this point, who knows what will be happening a year from now.

The 3 girls on the right in this photo...from center Alyona, Nastya (Anastasia), and Katya can't find employment around Kherson where they live, but are working on a cruise ship called Parahod which just recently did a shake down cruise on the Danube River ending in Nessebar on the Black Sea w/o passengers on board. I don't know the company which is operating the ship or when it will actually carry passengers, but at least the girls we know from our cruise have employment. Katya posted FB photos of the ship docked in Nessebar, Bulgaria. She also had photos of other unidentified crew members, but I didn't recognize their faces.

Ludmila, Viktoria, Alyona, Nastya, and Katya from May of 2011.

IMG_5874-M.jpg

Alyona started working for Viking in 2009 while Nastya and Katya began in 2011...we were on their first cruise. Not sure about the other two young ladies.