Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

Well, the last cruise for the season is underway and I guess that it is going to get a bit quiet around here for a while.

Quack and Silkismom, we hope that you will tell us about your "Cossacks" adventure and share any helpful hints that you picked up along the way. If you have posted pictures on a public website or a review anywhere, we hope you will share the links with us.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the newly refurbished Lomonosov and hoping that I can eventually learn to spell her new name--Sineus.

2012PeterhofDeck_tcm43-21595.gif

Edited by Peregrina651

Sorry that I haven't been on for awhile. Our first few days home were getting laundry done, kitties settled down again etc etc, Then on Tues morning we discovered that Larry's only uncle (WWII vet) had died Mon night, we had to start canceling our trip to VA for a squadron reunion for next Tues-Thurs. then trying to decide what to throw into the RV to head to MN, we left early Wed and drove it in 2 days instead of our normal 3. We got in while the visitation was still going on and then had the funeral on Fri, helping pack up his aunt to live for awhile with her remaining son in WI. We thought it would be best for her now, at least for a few weeks. His Mom's 92 b'day was on Sun and now we're working our way back to CO. It's been raining like mad all day. Actually the weather has been like Ukraine, but at least we have the correct clothing.

As far as the cruise goes, I've downloaded all my photos and started on my "trip report", but haven't had time to really decide what I thought about everything. There were definitely disappointments--mainly the weather and lack of wifi. I thought the food was good, service was iffy at times, I enjoyed the enrichment lectures. I think my favorite day was in "Zapor" (don't have the spelling here in the RV) got a big kick out of the horse show and the antics of the guys which went beyond language. Our cabin was smaller than the bedroom + bath in our RV. Will we cruise with Viking again, I don't know, many said that this was their worse Viking cruise. We really enjoyed the Uniworld cruise we did on the Douro, so guess the decision will be who has what we want, when we want to go and the price. Hope to add more when we get home again and finish my report, and have time to think more about everything. Ann

Sorry that I haven't been on for awhile. Our first few days home were getting laundry done, kitties settled down again etc etc, Then on Tues morning we discovered that Larry's only uncle (WWII vet) had died Mon night, we had to start canceling our trip to VA for a squadron reunion for next Tues-Thurs. then trying to decide what to throw into the RV to head to MN, we left early Wed and drove it in 2 days instead of our normal 3. We got in while the visitation was still going on and then had the funeral on Fri, helping pack up his aunt to live for awhile with her remaining son in WI. We thought it would be best for her now, at least for a few weeks. His Mom's 92 b'day was on Sun and now we're working our way back to CO. It's been raining like mad all day. Actually the weather has been like Ukraine, but at least we have the correct clothing.

As far as the cruise goes, I've downloaded all my photos and started on my "trip report", but haven't had time to really decide what I thought about everything. There were definitely disappointments--mainly the weather and lack of wifi. I thought the food was good, service was iffy at times, I enjoyed the enrichment lectures. I think my favorite day was in "Zapor" (don't have the spelling here in the RV) got a big kick out of the horse show and the antics of the guys which went beyond language. Our cabin was smaller than the bedroom + bath in our RV. Will we cruise with Viking again, I don't know, many said that this was their worse Viking cruise. We really enjoyed the Uniworld cruise we did on the Douro, so guess the decision will be who has what we want, when we want to go and the price. Hope to add more when we get home again and finish my report, and have time to think more about everything. Ann

Ann, our condolences to your husband his family. What a way to end a vacation.

We look forward to your comments and pictures once you get it all organized. No rush! It took me months to get it done so I am in no position to comment on anyone else's time line.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, our room was even smaller than yours, the mini-fridge was under the "table", end of bed was against bathroom wall, about a foot between other bed and closet.

I tried to copy/paste photo, but it didn't work.

I liked all the people that we talked to, mainly during meals, everyone was very well traveled and had interesting lives. Of course there were the "pain in the neck" ones also, but they usually sat (and bitched) together. I'm very glad that we started in Kiev and had the extra 2 days, even though it rained the whole time. I had no problems with the food and enjoyed it all. I reread your notes and many things were different. We did get inside the Uspenski Cathedral and could take photos, it was spectacular, both upstairs and down. In Sevastopol, along the area with arts & crafts set up, I got some great photos of a kitty sitting among paintings of cats "life imitating art". Wish I could copy/paste that in, but again it wouldn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I posted several months ago (#813), but thought I would see if there might be any new information.

I will be on the August 2014 cruise Odessa to Kiev. I will arrive a few days early and stay at an apartment or hotel in Odessa and go from the ship in Kiev to a hotel in that city for a few extra days, then on to Lviv for a few more days before flying home.

I like the Viking itinerary with lots of free time and half days for exploring. My wife and I are very active and do lots of walking. We really like independent exploring, going to churches, small restaurants where the locals eat and shops where the locals shop.

I want to go to a family village outside of Odessa (about 15 miles from the city) and was wondering about a driver/english private tour guide. Any suggestions?

Similarly, I am trying to set something up outside of Kiev that would require a driver to go to a village outside of that town. Again, any suggestions on private tour groups in that city that people have used and had good experiences?

We have also decided to go to Lviv after Kiev. Anyone have any recommendations on things to do or see there (or abouts)? Been reading guide books and some history on the Ukraine, this should be fun.

This is a great thread. Thanks

Edited by robert32asp

I don't think you can wish for a better local assistance than Olga at Odessa Walks (odessawalks@gmail.com). We hired her for a half day food walking tour in Odessa June 2013 and ended up with a private food, cultural, daily living experience that was fabulous. And six month later when someone found my lost iPad, Olga went to the airport to retrieve it, and mailed it to me in the US. only after if was safely in my hands did she let me discuss reimbursement for her cost. Olga is a great guide herself, and she runs her company with attention to personalizing what you want.

I posted several months ago (#813), but thought I would see if there might be any new information.

I will be on the August 2014 cruise Odessa to Kiev. I will arrive a few days early and stay at an apartment or hotel in Odessa and go from the ship in Kiev to a hotel in that city for a few extra days, then on to Lviv for a few more days before flying home.

If you haven't already found a place to stay in Kiev, we stayed at the Radisson Blu (with Viking) and were happy with it. One couple in our group stayed at the Hotel Ukraine, while this is not a recommendation, I can say that they were not complaining about their choice of lodging. IMHO, pick a hotel close to the things you want to see so that you aren't spending a lot of time getting to and from your hotel.

I like the Viking itinerary with lots of free time and half days for exploring. My wife and I are very active and do lots of walking. We really like independent exploring, going to churches, small restaurants where the locals eat and shops where the locals shop.

You will have free time in Odessa, Sevastopol, Yalta and Kiev. You will not in Kherson and Zaporozhye. In all of the cities where you have free time, there is plenty to see and do within easy walking distance of the dock.

This is a great thread. Thanks

Thanks. It is good to know that folks are finding this information helpful.

We are doing this trip in May, 2014. Really looking forward to it!

We were there in May as well around May 9 for the Victory Day celebrations (we didn't know that when we chose the date). It is the Ukrainian version of V-E Day celebrating the end of WWII in Europe and especially the defeat of the ****s. The holiday is celebrated for days on either side of May 9. It is a Memorial Day and in Odessa the school children bring flowers to the memorials at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

143655-1337831655-1.jpg

In Sevastopol, we ran into two different events. One was a parade that went right past the docks (but you could not see it from the ship) and the other was some sort of tribute event at the theater. We happened to show up at the theater as everyone was entering. (We had to guess what was going on).

143655-1361390866-2.jpg

Has anyone seen or heard about the ship's redo?

What we need right now is someone who follows these kinds of industry doings.;) I have no idea on what is going on. I'm waiting until May when folks start coming back and let us know about the ship.

BTW, congrats to the Broncos. Good luck in the Superbowl.

I also used Olga from Odessawalks and would recommend her.

She had given me a quote of $265 for a trip to my grandparents' village, about 60 miles outside of Odessa, and I didn't book that trip, which I regretted. Now, I'm going to have to go back, just to do that! If I can get to London, there is a 'city break' trip to Odessa, and from there I'll go to my grandparents' village. Some day...

A mother and daughter on my cruise flew from Odessa to Lviv after the cruise and met a tour guide who took them to her grandfather's village and even to the cemetery where her great-grandparents were buried. He arranged lodging for them in the area, and then I think he drove them out of Ukraine through Poland or Romania, I can't remember which. She said the Carpathian mountains were completely different from the Dneipper River area and Crimea, and there were a lot more people using horse drawn wagons and carts in that area. She found the driver and company on the internet. When looking for tour companies that way, be sure to check reviews on Tripadvisor.com

Heritage travel is very big in Ukraine and growing. I hope the current political situation stabilizes soon.

FYI, if you like Ukrainian food - you will see Vareneki on the menu on the ship exactly once during the cruise, so be sure to read the menu carefully and order it then. You will see strudel on the menu once, so if you like that, get it when it's offered. I thought the Vareneki and strudel were just like my mom made them. The night they had strudel, I just ate that for dinner...:o

From looking at what people are saying about the unrest in the Ukraine, I am curious if Viking has any contingency plans?

From what I have read the unrest has not yet desrupted many business, but who knows what will happen by August. I guess one of my concerns is as we get closer to August 24th will the passions get hotter along with the summer temperatures? My wife and I are planning to stay longer in Kiev after the cruise, but the on-line reviews of a couple of hotels have guests saying that the protests are loud enough to make it difficult to sleep at certain hotels during the night. No danger was noted, just inconvienence. Considering that people are passionate enough to protest, a little inconvienence by tourists shouldn't to a real problem.

So far I have read nothing about protests in Odessa. Obviously there are protests in Kiev. Because Sebastopol is where the Russian fleet is docked, I would expect that city is under a pretty strict control. The others ports of call, I have no idea of what is happening there.

Anything that booked passengers should be concerned about or should be just see how things play out and post a few questions in late July to see what current conditions are?

From looking at what people are saying about the unrest in the Ukraine, I am curious if Viking has any contingency plans?

From what I have read the unrest has not yet desrupted many business, but who knows what will happen by August. I guess one of my concerns is as we get closer to August 24th will the passions get hotter along with the summer temperatures? My wife and I are planning to stay longer in Kiev after the cruise, but the on-line reviews of a couple of hotels have guests saying that the protests are loud enough to make it difficult to sleep at certain hotels during the night. No danger was noted, just inconvienence. Considering that people are passionate enough to protest, a little inconvienence by tourists shouldn't to a real problem.

So far I have read nothing about protests in Odessa. Obviously there are protests in Kiev. Because Sebastopol is where the Russian fleet is docked, I would expect that city is under a pretty strict control. The others ports of call, I have no idea of what is happening there.

Anything that booked passengers should be concerned about or should be just see how things play out and post a few questions in late July to see what current conditions are?

I am sure that Viking is keeping tabs on the situation. They take passenger safety seriously and they will make changes as necessary. As your departure date gets closer, you might want to contact Viking directly and ask them about the situation there.

Not sure that I agree with your take on Sevastopol. While I can imagine stepped up security on the military installations, I would not go as far as saying that the city is under strict control. It is no longer a closed military city off-limits to most people as it once was under the Soviets. The Russians are only leasing space in the city; they don't own the city or run its government and they are not responsible for policing the city or its citizens.

Things have taken quite a turn in Ukraine. The PM has stepped down. The parliament has reversed its anti-protest laws. I guess we will be keeping an over things over the next few days.

• 4 weeks later...

My heart breaks for the people in Kiev. If you haven't done your cruise yet, you can't imagine how beautiful the downtown area is....was....

You can't imagine what the older people there, such as the city tour guide, Lila, have gone through in their life - war, starvation, communism, freedom for the past 20 years, and now to be going through all of this again.

Lila was in her late 70s and lived in a 7th or 8th floor apartment with her husband. Officially 'retired' - meaning too old to teach school, she found a job with Viking and that salary and tips - for which she was extremely grateful - supplemented her 'pension,' which wasn't much, since most of that was earned under the USSR, not Ukraine.

I wish I had gotten her email address, so I could contact her now.