Dress code in Blu

louise44

I don't understand why there is always a troublemaker on these boards who has to question the dress policy. :(

If there is a good reason why you won't wear pant/trousers with collared spots as requested, then you should find another cruise line instead of trying to spoil the ambiance for all the collared spot people.

By the way, what is a "collared spot"?

Hi folks, just off the eclipse about 3 hours ago and they are enforcing formal nights in blu. I wore a pair of dark denim jeans and a polo shirt, both clean and presentable. Was told that the night required formal attire and I would have to wear the jacket he presented me. I gave a fairly weak protest about the new policy I had read about and he replied blu follows the mdr. I didnt want to make a scene so on went the jacket and I had a great meal!!! Just wish celebrity would get thier policies straight.

Yes, we were on the 10/30 Transatlantic and Blu was definitely enforcing formal nights. On one night, the guy arriving before me was given a jacket to wear if he wanted to eat there. It might take a while for the policy to fully kick in, and I'd guess Caribbean cruises are less formal. But people should remember that European cruises tend to be more formal overall: on our cruise even the specialty restaurants had a large portion of suits and tuxes on formal night.

Yes, we were on the 10/30 Transatlantic and Blu was definitely enforcing formal nights. On one night, the guy arriving before me was given a jacket to wear if he wanted to eat there. It might take a while for the policy to fully kick in, and I'd guess Caribbean cruises are less formal. But people should remember that European cruises tend to be more formal overall: on our cruise even the specialty restaurants had a large portion of suits and tuxes on formal night.

Half Hitch,

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to notice if your e-docs prior to sailing stated that Blu was Smart Casual at all times, or not?

Just wondering when the literature that confirmed this actually started being sent out, since my edocs do say Blu is always Smart Casual, but my cruise isn't until the end of December.

Half Hitch,

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to notice if your e-docs prior to sailing stated that Blu was Smart Casual at all times, or not?

Just wondering when the literature that confirmed this actually started being sent out, since my edocs do say Blu is always Smart Casual, but my cruise isn't until the end of December.

Just got off Silhouette 11/6 sailing and ate in Blu every night.The dress code was Smart Casual for the duration of the cruise.I wore slacks and ban- lon shirts on formal night.I also had with me an E-mail from Customer Service that said "Smart casual and above foe the duration of the cruise in Blu ".

It's very interesting that we were also on the 11/6 sailing of Silhouette. We also ate in Blu every night. The first formal night my husband wore his suit. The second formal night he came smart casual. Orlando, who is the Blu restaurant manager, told my husband he needed a jacket. I informed Orlando(who we had become friendly with) that according to the new policy, every night was smart casual. He told my husband he needed a jacket. They provided one, and all he had to do was carry it over his arm. How ridiculous was that. My husband put it over the back of his chair, folded, and we just left it there when we left the dining room. The third formal night I just had him wear his suit again.

This is getting crazy.

If they publish a policy, they should issue a formal company-wide memo to let all employees know.

This works in other large organisations, so I'm not sure why it's not working here.

I'm going to take a suit, but not a tux (as I won't have room to pack a suit and a tux).

I hope this is all sorted by the time we cruise in May.

Cheers

Josh

We were planning on dressing up for formal nights before this policy change and dont see any reason to change our plans. Will report back on how others dressed. Id rather be "overdressed" than not conform to ship dress code which my vary from corporate policy apparently.

It's very interesting that we were also on the 11/6 sailing of Silhouette. We also ate in Blu every night. The first formal night my husband wore his suit. The second formal night he came smart casual. Orlando, who is the Blu restaurant manager, told my husband he needed a jacket. I informed Orlando(who we had become friendly with) that according to the new policy, every night was smart casual. He told my husband he needed a jacket. They provided one, and all he had to do was carry it over his arm. How ridiculous was that. My husband put it over the back of his chair, folded, and we just left it there when we left the dining room. The third formal night I just had him wear his suit again.

This is indeed confusing. Has anyone contacted Celebrity headquarter's about this apparent conflict of policy? What, if any, was their 'official' response?

We were planning on dressing up for formal nights before this policy change and dont see any reason to change our plans. Will report back on how others dressed. Id rather be "overdressed" than not conform to ship dress code which my vary from corporate policy apparently.

Policy change or not, we too plan to dress up for formal nights. My husband actually likes to dress up, i.e., more than smart casual any night. So we maybe over dressed as well. Don't see anything wrong with it, as we plan to have a table for two anyway.

Policy change or not, we too plan to dress up for formal nights. My husband actually likes to dress up, i.e., more than smart casual any night. So we maybe over dressed as well. Don't see anything wrong with it, as we plan to have a table for two anyway.

I agree that policy change or not, I will continue to dress up on formal nights and more often than not be in a tux. I can not understand why so many X cruisers are excited with a change to smart casual at all times when they want to eat in Blu which is an upscale venue. If we keep going in this direction the next thing will be like Carnival where you can parade around the dining room in shorts and t-shiirts. Even if you are going to be at a table for two (which most are in Blu), why is it so hard to show respect for your fellow shipmates and the ambience of the ship by dressing up at least as well as the wait staff that serves you.

I agree that it could be less of a potential "hassle" to be overdressed, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that line of thinking. And there is certainly nothing wrong with continuing to dress formally.

But, I plan to conform to the corporate dress code policy for Blu and am NOT worried about the individual ship's policy. And if I have to be a "cry-baby" to get my way, then so be it.

For some of us, a relaxed dress code is a big reason to sail AQ, and it is borderline-false-advertising if they don't honor their own written policies.

I agree that it could be less of a potential "hassle" to be overdressed, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that line of thinking. And there is certainly nothing wrong with continuing to dress formally.

But, I plan to conform to the corporate dress code policy for Blu and am NOT worried about the individual ship's policy. And if I have to be a "cry-baby" to get my way, then so be it.

For some of us, a relaxed dress code is a big reason to sail AQ, and it is borderline-false-advertising if they don't honor their own written policies.

I grudgingly agree with this. Those that have read my past posts on formal debate threads know that I'm a strong proponent of dressing formally on formal nights and keeping that tradition. With that said most of my arguments have been based on the courtesy of complying with a published dress code. While I'm not happy with them relaxing the dress code the fact is that they have relaxed it in Blu and the practice on board should reflect the policy published on the web site, cruise documents and brochures.

Although this is mostly semantics, I will mention that wearing a tux on formal night in Blu is complying with the Blu dress code as the code is "smart casual and above". So the corporate dress code for Blu on formal nights includes anything from smart casual to formalwear.

This is indeed confusing. Has anyone contacted Celebrity headquarter's about this apparent conflict of policy? What, if any, was their 'official' response?

This is a very confusing issue,Just get off Eclipse today and talked to the person in charged of Blu on the formal night.He insisted that on formal night is formal dress code in Blu.

I even saw him had an extra jacket with him offering to guest.

I grudgingly agree with this. Those that have read my past posts on formal debate threads know that I'm a strong proponent of dressing formally on formal nights and keeping that tradition. With that said most of my arguments have been based on the courtesy of complying with a published dress code. While I'm not happy with them relaxing the dress code the fact is that they have relaxed it in Blu and the practice on board should reflect the policy published on the web site, cruise documents and brochures.

Although this is mostly semantics, I will mention that wearing a tux on formal night in Blu is complying with the Blu dress code as the code is "smart casual and above". So the corporate dress code for Blu on formal nights includes anything from smart casual to formalwear.

Ditto what Larry said, except a gown for me.

Received our paper docs yesterday. Here's what the Guest Ticket Booklet has to say:

Evening Dress Codes

<snip>

Specialty Restaurants (including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Hope this bit of info helps to settle the debate.

:(

Sorry folks, but indeed formal wear is required in Blu. You can argue policy until you are blue in the face, but they will still require men to have a jacket. In fact, on the last formal night they tell me they handed out 27 jackets in all. True, you do not have to wear the jacket, just walk in with it over your arm. Now how ridiculous is that? They claim those who spend hours dressing for dinner cause "quite a fuss" if those of us who choose not to dress up show up in less than formal attire. Spoils their whole evening apparently. How sad is that ?. . . when ones happiness depends on the attire of those around them. It's not like anyone would show up for dinner in shorts and T-shirts. Give me a break! Personally we just skipped formal nights and ordered room service from the main dining room menu. All in all, the cruise was a BIG disappointment in comparison to last year’s sailing on the Solstice. More on that later . . . will do a separate posting.

:(

Sorry folks, but indeed formal wear is required in Blu. You can argue policy until you are blue in the face, but they will still require men to have a jacket. In fact, on the last formal night they tell me they handed out 27 jackets in all. True, you do not have to wear the jacket, just walk in with it over your arm. Now how ridiculous is that? They claim those who spend hours dressing for dinner cause "quite a fuss" if those of us who choose not to dress up show up in less than formal attire. Spoils their whole evening apparently. How sad is that ?. . . when ones happiness depends on the attire of those around them. It's not like anyone would show up for dinner in shorts and T-shirts. Give me a break! Personally we just skipped formal nights and ordered room service from the main dining room menu. All in all, the cruise was a BIG disappointment in comparison to last year’s sailing on the Solstice. More on that later . . . will do a separate posting.

On which ship did this occur? Also, what was the date of your cruise?

I agree that if they are publishing this as the policy, then they should not be pushing jackets on Blu guests.

On the other hand, I am disappointed with the loosening of the dress code. We will absolutely still be dressing formally on our January sailing in AQ, and hopefully we won't stick out because we actually enjoy dressing up. I'm disappointed and hope that the ambiance in Blu won't be affected too much.

Also just got off the Celebrity Eclipse today 11/19/-/11/26.

Cruzin Canucks,

I asked this of another poster in this thread already, but didn't get an answer - did you happen to notice if your e-doc's, that you received prior to cruising, made any mention of Blu being Smart Casual all the time, or not?

I'm trying to figure out when this policy was actually first given out in writing to pax, since it just appeared on X's website a few days ago.

If it wasn't disclosed to pax on your cruise, then I don't think there is an actual problem with corporate/ship compliance. If however, your e-docs actually spelled out the lack of formal nights in Blu, and then you were made to comply with formal nights - that is the problem and the reason for this entire thread. Thanks!

Archived