name some good books

usahawk

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" books are fun to go back to, especially if it's been a while since you've read any of them. I'm a big fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs, and enjoy re-reading his "Tarzan" novels occasionally.

And most are out of copyright, so free to download. Edgar Wallace is a entertaining read too.

Another book for those who like works of historic fiction is The Heaven Tree Trilogy by Edith Pargeter. (Edith Pargeter also wrote the Brother Cadfael mysteries under the pen name of Ellis Peters.) Like the Brother Cadfael mysteries, The Heaven Tree Trilogy is set around the turn of the 13th century along the Welsh border, and like Follett's Pillars of the Earth, has the building of a Gothic cathedral as one of its central themes.

The trilogy was orginally published as three separate books beginning in 1960, before later being published as a trilogy. It's still very easy to find reasonably-priced copies on Amazon. Many public libraries will also have a copy available.

I just finished Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson. It's more of a mystery than crime fiction but I found I couldn't put it down. It's about a woman trying to regain her memory after a traumatic event. I enjoyed it very much.

I love my ereader:):):)(wish there was a better selection of icons to show this!), but there are no warnings about overcharging the battery, and TBH, I can't see how that would cause major damage. Some battery types do have a 'memory effect', where they gradually lose the ability to keep a charge, but ereader need to be charged far less frequently than laptops or phones, for instance. What make is it?

As I said, the one we were given is cheap (Literati Reader, if that helps). The quick start guide isn't much help -- it was in the online manual that I found the little snippet about avoiding overcharging. Hopefully when we go on our next trip, we'll look into geting a Kindle or whatever.

If you like crime stories, Michael Connolly and Steve Martini are both good authors.

When I was taking a class in writing fiction, the teacher had us read one of Connolly's books (he said he had never had one of his classes study a book during class but he was very impressed with this book). He actually came to speak to our second to the last class, but I was too ill from hay fever to come. A few weeks later I found out he came into my place of business as a client a few days before.

For a good Fiction- Mystery and hilarious read try Janet Evanovich. The first book is One for the Money. This book is also being made into a movie and should come out early next year. There are 17 books in the series with another one due out very soon.

I also recommend the Pendergast Novels from Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child. They are wonderful Fiction-Mystery novels.

My DH and I read both of the above authors!

Agree with most of the suggestions already posted, but you might want to get more "location specific". If you're going to the Caribbean, look for some of the Rick Murcer "Moon" stories - "Caribbean Moon" is the first, takes place on a cruise ship. For Hawaii, read James Michener's "Hawaii", Mark Twain's "Letters From Hawaii" and for a completely different and beautiful story read Kiana Davenport's "Song of The Exile". We're heading for Australia, so are now reading Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country" - very informative and hilarious. Let us know your itinery and maybe someone can come up with more specific suggestions!

I typically love murder mysteries and like James Patterson, Harlan Coben,etc. However, I read a book called "The Pilots Wife" can't remember the author. I couldn't put this book down and spent two days reading it until midnight the last night just to finish. Loved this book!

Agree with most of the suggestions already posted, but you might want to get more "location specific". If you're going to the Caribbean, look for some of the Rick Murcer "Moon" stories - "Caribbean Moon" is the first, takes place on a cruise ship. For Hawaii, read James Michener's "Hawaii", Mark Twain's "Letters From Hawaii" and for a completely different and beautiful story read Kiana Davenport's "Song of The Exile". We're heading for Australia, so are now reading Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country" - very informative and hilarious. Let us know your itinery and maybe someone can come up with more specific suggestions!

princess cay island,curacao, and aruba

thank you all for the great suggestions--i will definitely read some of these

Ok I see alot of people with kindels and alot of people who like to sit back with a good book. I don't read alot but do like a good book from time to time. What are some really good books out there, the kind you can't put down. I prefer true crime-mysterys-and fiction best but would like to hear from others on what would be a good read----Thanks

I loved the Sisterhood Series by Fern Michaels. There are a total of 20 books in the series. More of a revenge of a past crime type books. Could not put book down until I was finished. Everyone I know that read this series loved it.

I have gotten hooked on Nora Roberts' books. She is a very prolific writer and quite a few of her books are murder mysteries. She is also from Maryland and some of her stories are based around the Hagerstown area. Also, Tess Gerritson is a good writer; she's a physician who writes murder mysteries.

I'm old fashioned I guess, I still love the paperbacks, especially when I can find them at flea mkts. for 25 to 50 cents apiece.

As I said' date=' the one we were given is cheap (Literati Reader, if that helps). The quick start guide isn't much help -- it was in the online manual that I found the little snippet about avoiding overcharging. Hopefully when we go on our next trip, we'll look into geting a Kindle or whatever.[/quote']

Thought it might be - I did a quick search for 'overcharging' and 'ereader', and this was the only one that was mentioned in that context (which is probably not much comfort to you, but at least it shows it's not a general problem!). From what I've read, it seems that if it's 'overcharged' it may not turn on, so people have been saying that as the instructions say to charge for 6 hours initially, run it down to practically empty, and then don't let it go as much as 6 hours.

I would definitely consider the 'whatever' - as I've probably made clear in other comments, I am no fan of the Kindle. I wanted a product that didn't lock me into one shop, that used open-source epub files, and would let me access libraries in the UK - large Kindle #fail on all three!

Another book for those who like works of historic fiction is The Heaven Tree Trilogy by Edith Pargeter. (Edith Pargeter also wrote the Brother Cadfael mysteries under the pen name of Ellis Peters.)

Another very good series in a similar vein is the Sister Fidelma mystery series by Peter Tremayne. He's a Celtic scholar, and in addition to being well-crafted mysteries, the books give a very interesting insight into medieval Irish society.

For a good Fiction- Mystery and hilarious read try Janet Evanovich. The first book is One for the Money. This book is also being made into a movie and should come out early next year. There are 17 books in the series with another one due out very soon.

Don't know if that's such a good idea on a cruise! Those books are sooo funny, and make me laugh so much I'd probably disturb people three or four cabins away!:D

I am totally engrossed in Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln." In his forward, he says it's written as a thriller, and it is. It's one of the best books I've read since "Pillars of the Earth," "World," etc. Ignore the Amazon.com reviews. (From what I understand, Ron Paul followers ganged together and gave the book 1 star out of 5. Odd.) All of the Greg Iles books are good. I believe "True Evil" was his first, and it's a page turner. http://www.amazon.com/True-Evil-Novel-Greg-Iles/dp/1416524533 Have you read "Don't Stop The Carnival?" It's an old book, not a mystery but so darn funny and well-written. I also enjoyed "Cruise Confidential" which is written by an ex-Carnival cruise line employee. Again, not a mystery but an eye-opener as to what goes on behind the scenes. I'm not a murder mystery buff but have enjoyed the Dick Frances books.

I typically love murder mysteries and like James Patterson, Harlan Coben,etc. However, I read a book called "The Pilots Wife" can't remember the author. I couldn't put this book down and spent two days reading it until midnight the last night just to finish. Loved this book!

The Pilot's Wife is by Anita Shreve, a wonderful writer whose books often have a sea theme. This book is one of her greatest.

Jo.

For anyone taking a holiday in the USA, Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent" is well worth reading- for the humour, mainly, but also because he visits the smaller towns, in almost every state, starting with his home town of Des Moins.

He's also written about America's long distance walks, Europe and round the UK.- all of them highly amusing.

Jo.

Anita Shreve´s "Pilot´s Wife " was mentioned...I also loved her book "Testimony"".

For suspense , I love Tess Geristan´s books ...I also enjoy the Kellerman´s and Koontz´s earlier books. Stephen King´s The Stand and Dead Zone are top on my list. Karin Slaughter is also excellent.

I am a huge Pat Conroy fan. Loved Prince of Tides , Lords of Discipline etc.

Jodi Picoult´s books are impossible to put down , best are 19 Minutes , Plain Truth , My Sister´s Keeper.

Katherine Neville´s The Eight was amazing , highly entertaining , kind of similar to Da Vinci Code.

For fluff , I always liked LyVrle Spencer , smart romance ( she retired a few years back).

Love to read!

Kim

For anyone taking a holiday in the USA, Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent" is well worth reading- for the humour, mainly, but also because he visits the smaller towns, in almost every state, starting with his home town of Des Moins.

He's also written about America's long distance walks, Europe and round the UK.- all of them highly amusing.

Jo.

Agree with you. Bill Bryson's books are great. Doesn't require alot of thought, concentration and very enjoyable and humorous.

Anita Shreve´s "Pilot´s Wife " was mentioned...I also loved her book "Testimony"".

For suspense , I love Tess Geristan´s books ...I also enjoy the Kellerman´s and Koontz´s earlier books. Stephen King´s The Stand and Dead Zone are top on my list. Karin Slaughter is also excellent.

I am a huge Pat Conroy fan. Loved Prince of Tides , Lords of Discipline etc.

Jodi Picoult´s books are impossible to put down , best are 19 Minutes , Plain Truth , My Sister´s Keeper.

Katherine Neville´s The Eight was amazing , highly entertaining , kind of similar to Da Vinci Code.

For fluff , I always liked LyVrle Spencer , smart romance ( she retired a few years back).

Love to read!

Kim

The Stand and The Dead Zone are also some of my favorites

Archived