A couple of questions about upcoming cruise

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

I haven't been on Cruise Critic for a little while (except for 5 minutes a couple of weeks ago), but we have an upcoming Grand Princess cruise, and just found out that my wife's cousin and his wife will be sailing with us, they are first time cruisers, this is our 10th all with Princess, but our first time traveling with someone else. If you folks would be so kind as to bring me up to speed on a few things, and perhaps give me some advice to help our cousins have a great time.

1. Since we are Platinum on Princess, can our family members join us in the priority boarding lounge at Port Everglades? We are staying at the same hotel the night before and will likely travel together to the port. I have read on here before that the answer was yes, but wanted to confirm that had not changed.

2. We are not planning to take formal clothes, can you still go to the specialty restaurants in smart casual clothes?

3. By most folks standards we are fairly bland cruisers I'm sure. We spend our days at the pool, go to dinner fairly early, take in a show, shop in the Piazza, and maybe watch MUTS if something we are interested in is on. The only activity in the patter we have participated in has been the galley tour, but I'm thinking about my wife's cousins, and want to make it memorable for them. What are some things I have missed out on, that you think they might enjoy for their first cruise experience?

Any other advice would be great. Oh yeah, if they want to do formal nights (we are getting together with them in a couple of weeks to discuss), we likely will prepare to participate with them. They are in a balcony cabin, so do you think the Ultimate Balcony Dining experience?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi folks,

I haven't been on Cruise Critic for a little while (except for 5 minutes a couple of weeks ago), but we have an upcoming Grand Princess cruise, and just found out that my wife's cousin and his wife will be sailing with us, they are first time cruisers, this is our 10th all with Princess, but our first time traveling with someone else. If you folks would be so kind as to bring me up to speed on a few things, and perhaps give me some advice to help our cousins have a great time.

1. Since we are Platinum on Princess, can our family members join us in the priority boarding lounge at Port Everglades? We are staying at the same hotel the night before and will likely travel together to the port. I have read on here before that the answer was yes, but wanted to confirm that had not changed.

Yes, they can be with you in the priority lounge

2. We are not planning to take formal clothes, can you still go to the specialty restaurants in smart casual clothes?

We did the same thing last cruise. We thought of our dress as more of a Business Casual attire tho.

3. By most folks standards we are fairly bland cruisers I'm sure. We spend our days at the pool, go to dinner fairly early, take in a show, shop in the Piazza, and maybe watch MUTS if something we are interested in is on. The only activity in the patter we have participated in has been the galley tour, but I'm thinking about my wife's cousins, and want to make it memorable for them. What are some things I have missed out on, that you think they might enjoy for their first cruise experience?

Sign up for the Chefs Table. I think they would enjoy this and it includes the Galley.

Any other advice would be great. Oh yeah, if they want to do formal nights (we are getting together with them in a couple of weeks to discuss), we likely will prepare to participate with them. They are in a balcony cabin, so do you think the Ultimate Balcony Dining experience?

Thanks,

Mike

If they do want to do formal night, I think it would be fun for you to participate with them. At least they get the experience. You know that you are creating new cruise friends.....:D

Last month on the Crown smart casual was okay but the majority in the Crown Grill were wearing formalwear. Some ships have put notices in the Patter that the buffet was the only place to eat without formalwear (Sapphire in May) however I read that it wasn't enforced. I don't know whether that was done onboard or by HQ as a test but it wasn't like that last month on the Crown.

Last month on the Crown smart casual was okay but the majority in the Crown Grill were wearing formalwear. Some ships have put notices in the Patter that the buffet was the only place to eat without formalwear (Sapphire in May) however I read that it wasn't enforced. I don't know whether that was done onboard or by HQ as a test but it wasn't like that last month on the Crown.

I had not heard of this Patter announcement. Glad to hear it.

Often, so many Platinum/Elite passengers bring friends and family with them to check-in and the lounge that the check-in lines can be longer than "regular" and the lounge can be very crowded. Because of this, sometimes cruise cards are checked and only Platinum/Elite/full suite passengers are allowed in. While some say no problem going to the priority line and lounge with you, be prepared in case they limit this to those who have priority.

I highly recommend the Ultimate Balcony Dinner! I think at one time it was printed that you could wear smart casual in the specialty dining restaurants. I think they have since changed the wording and suggest the buffet if you are wearing smart causal on formal nights. However, with a long sleeve dress shirt on men, they will probably be allowed in. It's up to them if they are comfortable or not with the majority in formal wear.

Thanks all and any other advice would be appreciated. When we went on our last cruise in the spring there was a lot of talk/speculation that Princess was changing to formal wear in the specialty restaurants, that is why I asked what recent cruisers were experiencing. We dressed smart casual at the Crown Grill on the Crown Princess in the spring with no issues.

I just went and looked at the online version of the cruise answer book and the downloadable version (they were different in the spring), here is what it says regarding dress on formal nights:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

No mention of the specialty restaurants. Hope that helps anyone wondering the same question.

I just went and looked at the online version of the cruise answer book and the downloadable version (they were different in the spring), here is what it says regarding dress on formal nights:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

No mention of the specialty restaurants. Hope that helps anyone wondering the same question.

Unfortunately, not too many Matre d's read the Cruise Answer Book.

Unfortunately (IMHO), they are pretty relaxed about the Platinum/Elite Lounge.

I believe that, officially, if members of same immediate family have different levels, you of course can go in together. This would be parents, children, grandparents - not cousins or friends traveling with you.

We have this situation - as we are Platinum and will be sailing in 3 weeks with our 24yo son who is still Gold - and we do not anticipate any problem.

It does defeat the idea of having a restricted lounge for those who have earned it, if everyone brings a bunch of people in with them who are otherwise not supposed to be there.

Hi folks,

Have your travel agent establish a TWID (traveling with ID) with Princess, then pass that ID to your family members and asked them to have their travel agent code their reservations with your TWID. This will keep the group together.

My parents and I are going on the same cruise in March, but since they live in one state and I live in another, we booked separately. Establishing a TWID tells Princess to be sure to keep us together as far as hotels, transfers, excursions and anything else we sign up for. Since I will be "going Platinum" in January, I specifically asked about priority check in and disembarkation lounge and was told that the TWID tells Princess they can accompany me.

Hoping this is true since both my parents are elderly (my mother is almost blind and my father has trouble getting around, but won't use a wheelchair since "I'm not that old" he says ;))--this is my Dad's "bucket list" cruise to Southeast Asia and he wants to revisit Thailand and Vietnam after having served there during the Vietnam war. Neither of my brothers have been on a cruise, so I got elected to accompany them (oh darn, make me go on another cruise :D).

Establishing a TWID was what my TA advised since I was trying to coordinate our cruises; my Dad's TA knew exactly what it was and "coded" their reservation as well. Later, I was able to book Princess Air, hotel, and transfers for all of us together since our reservations were joined by the TWID code. Without that, I would not be able to book my parents' airline reservations with Princess and we may not have gotten on the same flights, etc.

If you want your family members to join you, then I would establish a TWID, but be careful since that allows one member to make reservations for all the members in the group.

Have your travel agent establish a TWID (traveling with ID) with Princess, then pass that ID to your family members and asked them to have their travel agent code their reservations with your TWID. This will keep the group together.

My parents and I are going on the same cruise in March, but since they live in one state and I live in another, we booked separately. Establishing a TWID tells Princess to be sure to keep us together as far as hotels, transfers, excursions and anything else we sign up for. Since I will be "going Platinum" in January, I specifically asked about priority check in and disembarkation lounge and was told that the TWID tells Princess they can accompany me.

Hoping this is true since both my parents are elderly (my mother is almost blind and my father has trouble getting around, but won't use a wheelchair since "I'm not that old" he says ;))--this is my Dad's "bucket list" cruise to Southeast Asia and he wants to revisit Thailand and Vietnam after having served there during the Vietnam war. Neither of my brothers have been on a cruise, so I got elected to accompany them (oh darn, make me go on another cruise :D).

Establishing a TWID was what my TA advised since I was trying to coordinate our cruises; my Dad's TA knew exactly what it was and "coded" their reservation as well. Later, I was able to book Princess Air, hotel, and transfers for all of us together since our reservations were joined by the TWID code. Without that, I would not be able to book my parents' airline reservations with Princess and we may not have gotten on the same flights, etc.

If you want your family members to join you, then I would establish a TWID, but be careful since that allows one member to make reservations for all the members in the group.

BassetMom,

This is new information to me, had not heard of it before. I will talk to my TA and see if this can be done. Thanks so much!

Mike

Without that (TWID), I would not be able to book my parents' airline reservations with Princess and we may not have gotten on the same flights, etc.

You do not need a TWID for that. You just need to know your parent's info for signing into their personalizer.

You do not need a TWID for that. You just need to know your parent's info for signing into their personalizer.

True, if I had been doing it on line, I could access their information, but I was on the phone with Princess (our travel was a little complicated since we are traveling from different areas of the country and wanted to link up at a specific gateway airport and not necessarily the most "obvious" one). The agent commented that since we were "linked" (via the TWID) she could book all of our airline reservations together.

A TWID also informs dining staff you are traveling together. If you are choosing Traditional Dining, you will be assigned to same table.
A TWID is just another way of saying that you should have your bookings "linked" so the ship's staff knows you're traveling together. If you used different TA's, give your TA the other people's names and booking numbers; the others should give your name and booking number to their TA. If you used the same TA, just ask them to link the bookings. It's not a big deal or a special request as its done all the time.

Archived