Roaming charges

swanee4

We recently received a phone bill for about $300 in roaming charges incurred while in bermuda on the veendam. I am a new iphone user and did not realize that i could run up a bill just by carrying the phone in my pocket. I did look up the weather. Has anyone else had this problem.

My wife's smartphone with Verizon Wireless got hit for $200 roaming even after we were told that the phone model would not work overseas (Eurodam June Fjords and Highlands). Verizon claimed to give us a $100 credit for this oversight. Yes, turn the phones off especially on board ship. I believe roaming charges on board a ship is a big money maker.

Gee, I hope its OK if I turn ours off and put ours in the safe!!;)

We are on vacation after all!

All of our circumstances are different. We are Australian and were in Europe for two months. In Sydney we have both our mothers, aged 85 and 88. Also our daughter in England was in late pregnancy. Much as I would love to be able to turn off the phones, it would have been irresponsible for us. As it happened, our daughter gave birth a month early while we were on the cruise component of the trip. Although we had arranged global roaming for just this type of situation, and we responded to the texts by making a call to London, knowing it would be expensive. What we had neglected to do was to increase the limit on our plan where they stop the service. So we were unable to make further calls for a while and it was difficult to contact our provider because of the time difference.

Those of you who are able to stay out of contact are fortunate, but please realise some of us cant. In an emergency, family will often find it much easier to call your normal number than to try to ring the ship.

All of our circumstances are different. We are Australian and were in Europe for two months. In Sydney we have both our mothers, aged 85 and 88. Also our daughter in England was in late pregnancy. Much as I would love to be able to turn off the phones, it would have been irresponsible for us. As it happened, our daughter gave birth a month early while we were on the cruise component of the trip. Although we had arranged global roaming for just this type of situation, and we responded to the texts by making a call to London, knowing it would be expensive. What we had neglected to do was to increase the limit on our plan where they stop the service. So we were unable to make further calls for a while and it was difficult to contact our provider because of the time difference.

Those of you who are able to stay out of contact are fortunate, but please realise some of us cant. In an emergency, family will often find it much easier to call your normal number than to try to ring the ship.

I absolutely understand what you are saying, as my Father in law passed away while we were on a cruise. But I think it is also reasonable to understand there is probably nothing you or I could do if a family emergency happened back home, while we are at sea, and probably thousands of miles away. So knowing instantly isn't truly required.

I absolutely understand what you are saying, as my Father in law passed away while we were on a cruise. But I think it is also reasonable to understand there is probably nothing you or I could do if a family emergency happened back home, while we are at sea, and probably thousands of miles away. So knowing instantly isn't truly required.
My mother passed away unexpectedly while we were on a cruise earlier this year. While there was nothing I could have done (I couldn't have even made it to an airport in Indonesia before she died, certainly not back to Seattle), it did make things SO much easier for my brother being able to reach me during her last days. It isn't just about whomever is on the cruise.

In cases of an emergency I tell family members that when I am on a cruise the best way to reach me is by text messages which have no cost for incoming on the ship. With time zone differences this is a great option and will work with the data roaming off on my smart phone. It also allows me to call them back when it is convenient or the proper time zone or to respond with a text message that is only $.50 a message on the ship and while roaming.

To stay in touch with family at home, you can buy a pay as you go phone at Walmart or Target for as low as $15 which is loaded with $10 of airtime. We kept it on at sea and in Bermuda so our kids at home could reach us whenever. Incoming texts were .05 and outgoing, so we were able to stay in touch. It was also our alarm clock.

It was a wonderful way to keep in contact for us who are beginning to leave the kids behind, and I did not worry about getting a nasty surprise on my regular cell phone bill. I also took it to the beach each day without worrying about it being stolen or getting wet.

There were times at sea that reception was poor though having received a text welcoming me to Verizon at sea and stating charges, I should have been getting service.

iPhone for Dummies says "You may unwittingly rack up lofty roaming fees when using Safari, exchanging emails, and engaging in other data-heavy activities while traveling abroad. Turn off data roaming to avoid those excess charges." It doesn't say anything about this happening inadvertently, but I've heard so much about this that I've heeded their advice. You can turn data roaming off by going into Settings then going into Network where you'll see Data Roaming. If the tab by Data Roaming is showing that it is on, merely tap it to turn it off. Mine is turned off and I plan to leave it turned off.

That's often because of where you are on the ship, relative to the ship's cell mast. All that steel is not good for radio reception, so any ship is bound to have some dead spots.

I've never had any problem using my antique six year old "open-face" 'cell 'phone from within the confines of my steel encased interior stateroom! ;)

That may be because of the youth of your phone. Some of us rely on a 10 year old 6310i - still the best phone ever made. ;)

Seriously, it's not simply being inside that does it, because many inside places will get radio reception through ventilation shafts and the like. And it's funny sometimes to find a dead spot somewhere that you don't expect.

That may be because of the youth of your phone. Some of us rely on a 10 year old 6310i - still the best phone ever made. ;)

Seriously, it's not simply being inside that does it, because many inside places will get radio reception through ventilation shafts and the like. And it's funny sometimes to find a dead spot somewhere that you don't expect.

Be careful making statements like these. Someone is likely to come along to demand you provide proof. :rolleyes:

Archived