IPad at security + credit card question

Mrs. Wilburforce

Are IPads treated like pcs at airport and cruise terminal security? Do you have to place it in it's own separate bin? This will be my first trip with my new BFF.

I'm only taking one credit card. I rarely use it but had one denied while in England several years ago due to some suspicious activity. I was alone and thankfully had a second card.

I have called the cc company to let them know I'm traveling, but what happens if someone's card is denied at boarding? If a travel companion is agreeable to assuming responsibility for the charges, is that an option? Or is leaving a cash deposit possible?

I'm in obsessive worry mode about all the things that can go wrong! I have a second card on it's way....thank heavens for good credit score...but if it doesn't make it before we leave, I'll feel better knowing.

We also have Discover cards we haven't activated. Is Discover accepted?

I know I sound like some really annoying bundle of OCD, which I fully and unapologetically admit to.

we traveled with an IPAD to Aruba- We keep it in its seperate case.

We were able to keep in in the case-- and put it in a separate bin.

Nothing like the lap top where you had to take it out of a case and put the lap top in a bin by itself.

if your card is denied-- you place cash down on your card.

Your card won't be denied at boarding. They don't actually try to hold any funds when you embark. If there is a problem with the card, eventually you'll get a note in your mailbox to see the Purser.

And yes, you can have a traveling companion put down their card for your charges if they're agreeable.

And even if you register a card, you can always make cash payments throughout the voyage.

And they do accept Discover.

Are IPads treated like pcs at airport and cruise terminal security? Do you have to place it in it's own separate bin? This will be my first trip with my new BFF.

I'm only taking one credit card. I rarely use it but had one denied while in England several years ago due to some suspicious activity. I was alone and thankfully had a second card.

I have called the cc company to let them know I'm traveling, but what happens if someone's card is denied at boarding? If a travel companion is agreeable to assuming responsibility for the charges, is that an option? Or is leaving a cash deposit possible?

I'm in obsessive worry mode about all the things that can go wrong! I have a second card on it's way....thank heavens for good credit score...but if it doesn't make it before we leave, I'll feel better knowing.

I know I sound like some really annoying bundle of OCD, which I fully and unapologetically admit to.

I travel with my IPad in my backpack and never take it out going through security. Have never been asked to do so.

I travel with my IPad in my backpack and never take it out going through security. Have never been asked to do so.

I took mine out the first few times but finally stopped and now just leave it in my day bag.

Kirk

I had my iPad in my purse in its cover..did not have to take it out for security. It worked well on the Emerald..no problems at all. So much easier to travel with. I also had the camera adapter with me so was able to load photos easily. Have fun on your cruise...

I have a lot of charging cords and two small cameras in my carry on. The netbook put it over the top and, although I was told before it went through the scanner that I did not have to take it out, I still had to take it out and send everything through again. Next time I will start with it out.

Dunno about iPads, but we always leave our Kindles in our bags going through Security and have never had a problem. They're not really the same, but I doubt that the TSA folks would make a distinction. Airline attendants don't--they always ask us to turn them off for takeoff and landing, even though they emit no signals.

Thank heavens I don't have to haul the pc out plus take off my shoes in addition to removing my layers of outerwear!

The day we can stop taking off our shoes, I may just high five the tsa agent and dance a jig before they deny me boarding and carry me off to a padded room. If you hear something about this on the news, you'll know who it was :p

Seriously, thanks everyone. I have really come to depend on your great advice!

I bring two credit cards with me "just in case" and leave the one with the largest credit line in the safe. I've fortunately never needed to use it but it's reassuring to know its there. I was once away and my card was canceled because a company I'd charged something with months before was being investigated. Now, I always bring two.

IPads are not supposed to need to be taken out

(By the way, personal computers and netbooks do not have to be taken out for security at the pier.)

Discover is accepted by Princess for onboard charges. It will normally not be accepted on land outside the USA.

If you needed to pay your onboard account with cash, then you obviously would need to have enough cash with you.

Thank heavens I don't have to haul the pc out plus take off my shoes in addition to removing my layers of outerwear!

The day we can stop taking off our shoes, I may just high five the tsa agent and dance a jig before they deny me boarding and carry me off to a padded room. If you hear something about this on the news, you'll know who it was :p

Seriously, thanks everyone. I have really come to depend on your great advice!

Outerwear? No, no, no. You're heading to Florida, for a Caribbean cruise. Leave the outerwear at home. Seriously. No need to wear/drag coats with you through airports and onto airplanes, all of which are indoors. And how cold can you possibly get for the two minutes between front door and car door and car door and terminal? I left DC two Decembers ago in an incipient snowstorm with temps in the high 20s and was only wearing a long-sleeve Polo shirt and jeans -- I had my anticipation and excitement to keep me warm! Leave it at home and you'll feel like your vacation is starting already.

I bring two credit cards with me "just in case" and leave the one with the largest credit line in the safe. I've fortunately never needed to use it but it's reassuring to know its there. I was once away and my card was canceled because a company I'd charged something with months before was being investigated. Now, I always bring two.

I can relate. When my card got cancelled in the UK it was because a vendor attempted to enter my cc number too many times. Thank heavens I had that 2nd card. It was many years ago and I was exploring the UK on my own...trains, planes, and tube trip :)

Outerwear? No, no, no. You're heading to Florida, for a Caribbean cruise. Leave the outerwear at home. Seriously. No need to wear/drag coats with you through airports and onto airplanes, all of which are indoors. And how cold can you possibly get for the two minutes between front door and car door and car door and terminal? I left DC two Decembers ago in an incipient snowstorm with temps in the high 20s and was only wearing a long-sleeve Polo shirt and jeans -- I had my anticipation and excitement to keep me warm! Leave it at home and you'll feel like your vacation is starting already.

If you've ever returned from a tropical vacation and been smacked in the face with a -10 air temp plus finding out your tires are literally frozen to the pavement from the rapid temperature drop, you never even consider leaving reality completely behind. :eek:

We have to park 50 miles from the airport and take an airport bus into the

city. Plus we live downwind from Lake Michigan. The sun can be shining in the city and in Northwest Indiana the snow can be falling an inch or two per hour.

Really freaky weather.

Thanks for the thought. I'll be happy enough just to take the stuff off :cool: Why do we still live here??? :confused:

Outerwear? No, no, no. You're heading to Florida, for a Caribbean cruise. Leave the outerwear at home. Seriously. No need to wear/drag coats with you through airports and onto airplanes, all of which are indoors. And how cold can you possibly get for the two minutes between front door and car door and car door and terminal?

Every now and then an airport has a security scare and everyone has to go outside and wait there until it is deems OK to re-enter and go through TSA security again.

I hope you never have to wait outside an airport for an hour without your coat when it is below freezing outside.

Why do we still live here???

Funny thing, I asked myself that same question five years ago and haven't been back since.:D

When we finally make a decision, it won't be an easy one. We have such deep roots in the Midwest and my youngest son is here. The oldest is in San Diego, so we may have the best of all worlds...the seasons, our kids and grandkids, siblings and lifelong friends. We'll just have to commute :)

Archived