What time do you leave Rome?

account4fun

Hi - I was wondering what time people leave Rome to head to the port in Civitavecchia? We would like to do a tour in the morning and leave for the ship around 12:30 -1:00. Given the distance to travel and our ship departing at 5pm will be be OK?

Romecabs wants us to leave at 11am but we really want to fit a tour in that morning and thus push back our departure.

What do all you experienced European cruisers think?

There are a couple of issues. What is the latest you are permitted to arrive at the port? Assuming it is 4 (or later) we would be comfortable with a 1pm departure from Rome. The drive takes anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours depending on your starting point in Rome. Add an extra 30 minutes for unexpected traffic and you still would be at the ship by 3! You also get that extra hour of insurance (assuming 4 is the latest you can get to the port). Once you get on the A91 most of the route is major highway (Autostrade).

We are curious to see if others agree with our assessment or think it is just too risky.

Hank

Not sure where you will be in Rome when you leave but I agree with Hank that 1:00 would appear to give ample time assuming you need to be checking-in around 4:00 (I am assuming this is the embarkation port). It took us about 1 hour to get to Rome (near the Coliseum) but that was early in the morning.

Kirk

If the ship departs at 5:00 PM you are normally asked to check in by 3:30 PM. You should verify this with your cruise line.

From downtown Rome allow 90 minutes for the drive and then allow another 10 minutes from the port entrance to get to the ship.

You may want to get there earlier to get settled on the ship if your next day is in a port but you can decide what works better for you.

Keith

I would do an early morning half day tour and head out of Rome for 1pm. You never know about traffic or accidents. We have gotten there in as little as 60 mins or as long as 2 hours. I highly recommend Stefano at rome cabs. Do a search and you will find his info I am sure you would get a good tour/transfer bundle for him

Our cruise departed at 6:00 pm. We had transportation arranged with Share a Shore Excursion in Italy to the port and were the second to the last group to be picked up. We were picked up at 2:20, and the last group was picked up at 2:35. Needless to say, we encountered NO lines to check in or board.

We actually used the morning to do a Vatican Tour and were back at our hotel in time to catch the shuttle.

How do you know what time all aboard is for embarkation? Also we are departing on a Tuesday in June. Does that change anything traffic wise?

Contact the cruise line directly and ask. And then call back and ask again, lol -- cruise lines are notorious for giving out incorrect info. :cool:

On my recent cruise departing Civitavecchia, they wanted us all aboard an hour before departure. The 90 minute rule is only for US departures (imposed due to the need to provide the roster of passengers to some US agency....)

Given that you have private transportation, I think departing Rome around 1:00 pm is viable for you. There shouldn't be large amounts of traffic at that time, barring unforeseen problems.

Archived