Princess Cays Seating

1 HappyCruiser

For all the people who enjoy the clam-shell side of Princess Cays just note that practically all of the free seating has practically been eliminated. Many new clam-shells have been added to the back rows which are now about three levels deep but if you used to go to that side because of it being more peaceful, less crowded & quiet you'll have to now pay to sit on a lounge chair that only are provided with a clam-shell. :mad:

I think they did this to accommodate the large number of people who request the little covers. We always request the clam shell and one cruise a few years ago, they ran out. It was a beautiful day on the beach so everyone was off the ship and all the clam shells were full. It's the adage, if you build it they will pay!

The first excursion we book online is a clamshell at Princess Cays. Its our obligatory beach day and we do more interesting things at the other ports (we're not really beach people). I honestly never noticed that there was other seating in that area, but the clamshells are popular so its not a surprise they put in more.

I think they did this to accommodate the large number of people who request the little covers. We always request the clam shell and one cruise a few years ago, they ran out. It was a beautiful day on the beach so everyone was off the ship and all the clam shells were full. It's the adage, if you build it they will pay!

It's true that they might have run out of clam-shells at times but there's no reason to remove all the free seating form that area except to force people to pay for a more quiet environment. Almost like they did with the Sanctuary a while back.

It's true that they might have run out of clam-shells at times but there's no reason to remove all the free seating form that area except to force people to pay for a more quiet environment. Almost like they did with the Sanctuary a while back.

I for one think that is a shame. :( Paying to sit on Princess' private island? What next? A fee to sit on the decks or near the pool? A fee to sit in the Theater? :rolleyes: Come on Princess - that's not right! :eek:

Well, there is a reason and that's to make room for a greater demand for some kind of shade. It would be nice if they rented out cheaper beach umbrellas. But that doesn't appear to be in their gameplan.

I for one think that is a shame. :( Paying to sit on Princess' private island? What next? A fee to sit on the decks or near the pool? A fee to sit in the Theater? :rolleyes: Come on Princess - that's not right! :eek:

We'll it's really not a fee to rent a lounge chair since they do have loads of them on the other side for the taking but we prefer the quiet side without the hectic games & kids & that's where they've taken the chairs away. Also the crowds that line up for the lunch are much much less.

Well, there is a reason and that's to make room for a greater demand for some kind of shade. It would be nice if they rented out cheaper beach umbrellas. But that doesn't appear to be in their gameplan.

Last year is when they thinned out the natural shade from the bushes & began to remove the lounge chairs from that side. Other than the natural shade from scattered palm trees there isn't all that much shade remaining on that side except from the rented clam-shells. It looks like we'll be going to the left side from now on. :(

I found this to be the case too and I was really mad. Yes, there were tons of chairs on the crowded side of the beach next to the band with thousands of your new best friends and no shade and ultimately we paid the $29 to have the peace and quiet but I thought it was really poor on Princess's part to not have any free chairs on the other side. It seemed like a money grab to me and it worked for them but left a bad taste in my mouth.

It did get really hot under the clamshell and there wasn't any breeze. DH and I ended up pulling our chairs out and back under a tree for a breeze.

For those that usually rent the clamshells, do you find that it is hot under them? I've heard conflicting reports on this, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money.

I suppose it depends on the time of year. We go in March and it was not hot with the clamshells. Water was on the chilly side too.

For those that usually rent the clamshells, do you find that it is hot under them? I've heard conflicting reports on this, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money.

I wouldn't go to Princess Cays without getting one because I need some shade for a good portion of the time. But I don't think it's worth $29. I look at it as the cost of two people for a beach day. These private islands are designed by cruise lines to sell "excursions", "rentals", and booze on days they otherwise would lose out to beaches in the Bahamas. If we ever take another Princess cruise that has a stop in Princess Cays, we'd consider staying on the ship.

We'll it's really not a fee to rent a lounge chair since they do have loads of them on the other side for the taking but we prefer the quiet side without the hectic games & kids & that's where they've taken the chairs away. Also the crowds that line up for the lunch are much much less.

Last year is when they thinned out the natural shade from the bushes & began to remove the lounge chairs from that side. Other than the natural shade from scattered palm trees there isn't all that much shade remaining on that side except from the rented clam-shells. It looks like we'll be going to the left side from now on. :(

So let me get this straight. You are upset because they took the lounge chairs from where YOU want to be, not that there are enough lounge chairs. We are just off the Ruby and there were plenty of chairs in shade and sun.

Just wondering if the bushes may have been trimmed due to tropical storms.

So let me get this straight. You are upset because they took the lounge chairs from where YOU want to be, not that there are enough lounge chairs. We are just off the Ruby and there were plenty of chairs in shade and sun.

Just wondering if the bushes may have been trimmed due to tropical storms.

That's about it. I guess I'm just to demanding to want a free seat on the side of the beach where it's more peaceful and quite with no games, kids, close bathrooms, no blaring music, and much shorter lines for food. The low bushes that provided shade almost all day were cut back in April on both sides of the beach before the storms.

When we were there we rented a clam shell and yes they were several rows deep. However, if we kept walking past the buffet over to the little bar area there were plenty of lounge chairs without clamshells. Is this not the case anymore?

The clam-shells now extend several rows deep from the original location near the water to almost the sidewalk in some places. In April I noticed the reduction of free seating & there may have been 3 dozen free lounge chairs but on Nov 9 there were approx 12 or so but on Nov 19 all but three were gone. I located 2 for ourselves but had to drag one from near the rental shack & another from the most distant end of the beach. I suppose that all the free lounge chairs were used to make up the clam-shells structures and they might replace some of them in the future. Who knows? We'll see in a few more months.

I've read that you can prop up the back of the clam shell to get some air circulation going. We've not been to PC, but intend to get a clam shell while there in March.

As for the cost, I live in a beach resort town and chairs, umbrellas, rafts, clam shells, etc are all rented. The income produced from the rentals pays for the lifeguards, helps keep the beaches clean and the rental products in good repair. You can't imagine what the beach looks like at the end of every day. Cigarette butts, which never disintegrate, cans, trash and plenty of garbage has to be mechanically raked from the sand. :( PC probably has the same issues. I don't feel that Princess is gypping anyone. If you can't find a free lounge chair, I'm sure the staff can find one for you. :)

Its fine in January, mind you we prefer itineraries where we do Princess Cays first, so we're still trying to warm up :p

So the clamshells are on the "quiet" side? I.e. farther from the band, kids, etc? We reserved a couple for February. I want to snorkel but DW doesn't want to sit in the sun the whole time.

If we go ashore a bit later than most, are we guaranteed a shell or does Princess overbook?

Well, I will admit that I'm as tight as they come, but I don't think $29 for two people to have reserved chairs plus covering for a whole day is too bad. You'll pay that much just for taxi fare to a beach in most other ports.

Does anyone know if they will raise an eyebrow if you have three people dumping their stuff under one clamshell? Since my stepdaughter works on the Emerald, she may or may not come over to Princess Cays with us that day, and I don't want to reserve a whole second clam shell when we'll all be in and out of the water all day. She and my husband are both pretty pale and can't take a lot of sun, but I don't mind putting my towel down on the sand next to a chair for part of the time. Just don't want to try to do that if it will be frowned upon, or maybe the clamshells are all so close together that it's impossible.

Is it a good idea to leave stuff in the clam shell while snorkeling? Are the clamshells first-come-first-served? This will be our first time on Princess Cays.

Thanks.

I wouldn't leave anything of value in the clamshell unless someone stayed there but I had no problem leaving my beach bag, book etc. You can reserve the clam shells in advance or take your chances when you get ashore and see if you can get one. They are first come first served basis and those that get off the ship first typically will take the ones right at the shoreline.

I wouldn't leave anything of value in the clamshell unless someone stayed there but I had no problem leaving my beach bag, book etc. You can reserve the clam shells in advance or take your chances when you get ashore and see if you can get one. They are first come first served basis and those that get off the ship first typically will take the ones right at the shoreline.

Thanks... do they give folks with pre-reserved services, like the clamshell, priority tender tix?

Does anyone know if they will raise an eyebrow if you have three people dumping their stuff under one clamshell? I don't mind putting my towel down on the sand next to a chair for part of the time. Just don't want to try to do that if it will be frowned upon, or maybe the clamshells are all so close together that it's impossible.

The following picture shows how close together they are.

2928304030016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived