Thoughts on air arrival time.

Lambo62

So, we have researched like crazy, read many posts, port reviews, ship reviews and priced out cruises and flights and have it narrowed down to a few for our first cruise.

We are looking at Norwegian Epic Medditerranean next June.

My question is, I was lucky enough to find an airline (Air Canada) with direct flights to Barcelona, however the flight leaves Saturday late afternoon and arrives Barcelona 7a.m. next day (with time change). Initially, I thought this worked out great, because it is the day we board the ship, but the more i think about it, perhaps we will be just too whipped from a long flight and having jet lag, that we should try to arrive a day earlier and sleep the first night in a hotel.

We are already planning to do a few days after the cruise in Barcelona.

Thoughts/ experiences?

Thank you

We just cruised out of Barcelona for the TA with Liberty OTS. We arrived two days prior to departure and wished we had given at least one more day.

You are correct that on arrival day you will be tired. You will, and should, stay up but it is difficult and it's hard to enjoy sightseeing when you are already exhausted. Make arrival day your light activities day and leave the next one or two days for sightseeing.

Barcelona has so much to see you will want to afford as much time as possible. Plus you will board the ship feeling good.:p

Have a great cruise.

Larry

So, we have researched like crazy, read many posts, port reviews, ship reviews and priced out cruises and flights and have it narrowed down to a few for our first cruise.

We are looking at Norwegian Epic Medditerranean next June.

My question is, I was lucky enough to find an airline (Air Canada) with direct flights to Barcelona, however the flight leaves Saturday late afternoon and arrives Barcelona 7a.m. next day (with time change). Initially, I thought this worked out great, because it is the day we board the ship, but the more i think about it, perhaps we will be just too whipped from a long flight and having jet lag, that we should try to arrive a day earlier and sleep the first night in a hotel.

We are already planning to do a few days after the cruise in Barcelona.

Thoughts/ experiences?

Thank you

You should arrive at least one day before your cruise so that a flight cancellation or a major delay does not cause you to miss the ship. On top of that it's best to bet over the jet lag. Otherwise, you start the cruise very tired.

Ideally, I would arrive two or more days prior to the cruise but if that is not possible arrive one day before the cruise, not the day of the cruise. Too much risk and too much stress.

Keith

You should arrive at least one day before your cruise so that a flight cancellation or a major delay does not cause you to miss the ship. On top of that it's best to bet over the jet lag. Otherwise, you start the cruise very tired.

Ideally, I would arrive two or more days prior to the cruise but if that is not possible arrive one day before the cruise, not the day of the cruise. Too much risk and too much stress.

Keith

Arriving at least one day earlier gets my vote too.

In addition to the being tired/jet lagged or the flight being seriously delayed or cancelled, should your luggage not show up, having a day to sort it out will be a huge benefit.

I only ever travel the same day when it is a very short flight.t, thenairlinenhas loads of otherbones that day and the cruise line has organised it, otherwise Ingonanday before. Long haul, I aim for 2 days prior. It eliminate,es a lot the worry and what ifs...

Archived