Happy Anniversary to Princess!

RickEk

Apparently it is the 46th anniversary of the first sailing on Princess. Here's a link to their Facebook page... complete with pictures. (You may have to scroll down to see the post).

http://www.facebook.com/PrincessCruises :)

Thanks Rick...do you know of anyway to view it without joining Facebook? It only shows a Holiday E-card Contest when I click on your link.

I don't want to join FB & it would be nice for Princess to share things with their non-FB passengers also. :(

Thanks Rick...do you know of anyway to view it without joining Facebook? It only shows a Holiday E-card Contest when I click on your link.

I don't want to join FB & it would be nice for Princess to share things with their non-FB passengers also. :(

Here ya go... It's interesting... they obviously took this from a negative.. it was posted as a mirror image.. you can see Princess Patricia is written backwards. :p

6450180755_4035674d55_b.jpg

PrincessPatricia by RickEk, on Flickr

Interesting picture above RickEk, I knew the Princess Pat quite well and had a number of friends serve on her. She was a Canadian Pacific Steam Ship ship that was leased to the fledging Princess company in the winter when she was finished for CPS in Alaska. I worked for Canadian National Steamships on their SS Prince George one summer while going to school in 1963. That was before coastal Alaska was spoiled by the cruise ship industry. I really wish I had kept my photos from that summer to share. For those going to Alaska on Princess ships, when you tie up at the railway dock and look at the rock face across from the dock you see a number of CP and CN ships memorialized.

1964313269_SSPRINCEGEORGE.jpg.a395afedc5b19327f96ab6f61b60ec0e.jpg

Thanks Rick! ;)

I have a book titled P&O Princess The Cruise Ships which includes P&O and Princess ships & their history. The Princess Patricia was a chartered Canadian Pacific steamer & according to the book the Princess brand name for the operation was chosen to fit the name of the vessel.

princesspatricia072-cptourboatprincesspatriciaatwrangell.jpg

The Princess Patricia under steam. How she would have appeared when making her first Princess Line Cruises.

Interesting thread. Thanks for all the old photos.

Here's one I took of the old Dawn Princess while on our first cruise aboard the Carnival Jubilee in 1991. It is anchored in Puerto Vallarta.

5577491641_43cd369eca_z.jpg

Princess Ship by Jasperdo, on Flickr

I sailed on this ship twice...July 1988 as Sitmar's Fairwind then in January 1989 as the Dawn Princess & enjoyed both cruises. Sitmar's all Italian & Portuguese crew provided a great cruise & I was happy to discover 6 months later that Princess still had pasta as a course. :)

Thanks Rick! ;)

I have a book titled P&O Princess The Cruise Ships which includes P&O and Princess ships & their history. The Princess Patricia was a chartered Canadian Pacific steamer & according to the book the Princess brand name for the operation was chosen to fit the name of the vessel.

princesspatricia072-cptourboatprincesspatriciaatwrangell.jpg

The Princess Patricia under steam. How she would have appeared when making her first Princess Line Cruises.

This photo of the Pat was likely taken in Alaska and you will note her funnel marking was that of Canadian Pacific...to my knowledge her livery was never changed when leased to Princess for the winter for whom she was used on the Mexican Riviera itinerary.

This photo of the Pat was likely taken in Alaska and you will note her funnel marking was that of Canadian Pacific...to my knowledge her livery was never changed when leased to Princess for the winter for whom she was used on the Mexican Riviera itinerary.

Thanks...I thought it appeared to be Alaska & that makes sense that they didn't change her color scheme. I enjoy the history of the ships in the book & of other ships in Cruise Travel. Thankfully I can still visit my 1st ship which is docked in San Diego...USS Midway CV-41. Thankfully she didn't end up as scrap metal or as an underwater reef. :eek:

I worked for Canadian National Steamships on their SS Prince George one summer while going to school in 1963. That was before coastal Alaska was spoiled by the cruise ship industry. For those going to Alaska on Princess ships, when you tie up at the railway dock and look at the rock face across from the dock you see a number of CP and CN ships memorialized.

Hey Putterdude. How neat that you worked on the SS Prince George one summer!

And, YES, Happy Anniversary to Princess.

Best regards,

JeanneJ

I remember these classic Clyde built steamships of Canadian Pacific Steamships. You could sometimes go to the inner harbour here in Victoria and see them at the CP dock-the Princess. Patricia, Joan and Marguerite. There used to be finger piers at teh beautiful CP station and all would be there. Thankfully that building is now being refurbished and the plan is to again make it a ferry terminal

Yes, I can remember (scarcely) as a child, in the late '40's, going by car onto the Canada Pacific steamers for the overnight, dare I say "overseas" voyage from Vancouver to Victoria. The cars were loaded on the side not thru the bow or stern as the roll on/roll off BC Ferries are today and the family had to take a cabin for the voyage, we had bunk beds which was all new to me and quite frightening for a young child. The location of the Canadian Pacific Steamship docks in Vancouver was about where Canada Place is today.

The location of the Canadian Pacific Steamship docks in Vancouver was about where Canada Place is today.
I assume the steamers went to the Canadian Pacific Steamship Dock in the Inner Harbor, Victoria at the other end. That's a lot longer sailing than today's BC Ferries run. A lot more interesting, too.

They were such beautiful ships. I know the Maggie (Margureite) was sold for scrap and I think the Joan was a floating restaurant in San Pedro for a while.

I have great memories of trips to Seattle on Maggie in the true luxury of a steamship even if only for 4-5 hours.

I assume the steamers went to the Canadian Pacific Steamship Dock in the Inner Harbor, Victoria at the other end. That's a lot longer sailing than today's BC Ferries run. A lot more interesting, too.

I believe that to be the case but I was to young to remember that plus it was an overnight voyage and I would have hardly been awake when we arrived.

Archived