Enhanced Driver's License

Cruisin May 2012

from carnival faq:

What states and Canadian provinces currently issue Enhanced Driver's License (EDLs)?

Note: Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

There are currently four U.S. states and four Canadian provinces producing EDLs:

Michigan

New York

Vermont

Washington

British Columbia

Manitoba

Ontario

Quebec

note the bold...it still dont hurt to bring it just in case

Indiana Requires all new DL's and state ID cards to be EDL's

Until they are approved by Homeland Security and the Department of State they do not work for immigration purposes, so don't rely on them yet.

I'm certainly no expert, but due to medical issues, I looked at this carefully. The EDL is good (we have them here in MI), and seems to meet your needs to get where you need to go. They do say two things:

1. It may take longer to embark / disembark. This may or may not be true. Haven't even a clue. But if you do have a passport, you may want to consider it instead.

2. If you have any issues where they have to get you home quickly (eg. medical issues), they SAY that you have to have a passport, as the EDLs are not good for any air travel. Does that mean that they would deny you air access to the US when you are in need? I can't imagine that the answer is yes, but for me it is enough of a worry to convince me to bring my passport instead. Probably just me being overly careful, but who knows?

Again, not sure. Just my $.02 from reading their site!

I live in Washington State and have an EDL. I use it for short driving trips up to Canada, but on a cruise I always take my passport. Just in case of an emergency if I had to fly back home, a passport would be necessary. EDL's can't be used for air travel, only land and sea. Also, when the situation occurred recently in San Juan where the ship had to depart early because of a hurricane, those left behind who had passports were flown to Barbados to join the ship. Those without passports missed the cruise. Just better to have the passport "just in case." Nancy

Indiana Requires all new DL's and state ID cards to be EDL's

This is simply incorrect. Indiana does not issue EDL's, and has not, to my knowledge, outlined any plans to issue them in the future. Indiana is currently attempting to comply with the RealID law. I believe the poster has the two programs confused.

Bill

Archived