Upset with the Royal Caribbean "low-price" guarantee

Isail2011

Isail, I really feel your aggravation in your posts. If you end up with one parent in each cabin, there is a positive to that. Back when I was 13 and my sister was 17 we went on a family vacation to Cozumel. We were supposed to have adjoining rooms at the resort. When my parents checked in they found out that we had one room on the 7th floor and one on the 1st floor. The resort was sold out and there was nothing they could do. My mother was LIVID. There was no way that my mom would allow Stacy and me to be that far away from her, so she decided to split us up. I got to spend the week bunking with my dad and it was awesome! 26 years later I still find that to be my favorite family vacation because I got to spend soooo much one on one time with my dad.

Although the situation may not be ideal right now, it can turn out to be a very positive experience and a fun vacation. :)

I learned a lot from all of you who offered opinions and help. I wish I was here earlier. I did not even know that the kid’s cabin needs to be next to ours. The TA did not advise me that. I did call to ask how to book the two cabins together. They said that the website does not have that function. You have to act quickly. I also thought, if the TA does not help, RCL will interfere. Wrong again. They did not help at all. We will not show grief to any follow passengers. As you have said, they paid their hard earn money. Everybody come on the cruise for a good time. We are going to spend a very merry Christmas on board the Jewel of the Seas with all the cruisers on board.

I understand that all you are saying that RCL is not at fault. The TA still make me believe that RCL is behind them. RCL is the boss. Their word, the cruise line is not going to do anything for you. that's why we can not do anything for you.

Thanks again for all your help and support!

PLEASE LISTEN, RCCL IS NOT THE BOSS WHEN YOU HAVE A TA.

The TA owns the reservation! Changes can ONLY be made with the TA.

You got taken, plain and simple, by a TA with less ethics than a used car salesman (no offense intended, in case of flaming).

If the cabins now beside the kids are $1000 more, your price does not seem too bad.

Learn your lesson, go have a great cruise. You may have to put one parent in each cabin but since the kids are teens you should be ok. 8 cabins down is not that far.

Please don't let this ruin your vacation and holiday. Your family deserves that much.

Next time book directly with RCCL.

its your travel agent buddy.... happeend to my friend next to me at work.. Sometimes that is what you get when you use shady websites, but if your travel agent is a rep company they should do it for you.. Somoene is being very lazy

No, we live close by. We are going to drive. Please note that airline does not have best fare guarantee. Cruise line and the booking website have. If there is a guarantee, would you think they will make their word good?!!! Also, I'm within their required time window of 48 hours of booking.

Thanks!

Okay, good - thanks for answering. I'm really sorry you're going through all of this. So many things just sound so strange about that TA. Really check out their website. Are they accredited? Do they have a mailing address (not just a toll-free number)? Google their name and reviews, if you have time. We can't name TA's on this board, but it would be interesting to see what you come up with. Good luck :)

The sailing the OP is on was on the Monday/Tuesday Sale this week and had 9 catagories selling at cheap pricing for a Holiday cruise. Unfortunately, the OP purchased their cruise just prior to these prices. The sale was for new bookings only so they were not eligible for the price decrease. The cruise is showing as sold out on the cruiselines website.

I do think the TA should have been able to move the OP to adjacent cabins when they were available but that time is gone. I also think the OP jumped the gun here and did not look into the TA's policies. Some TA's charge change fees and cancellation fees and this one sounds like they are one of them.

PLEASE LISTEN, RCCL IS NOT THE BOSS WHEN YOU HAVE A TA.

The TA owns the reservation! Changes can ONLY be made with the TA.

You got taken, plain and simple, by a TA with less ethics than a used car salesman (no offense intended, in case of flaming).

If the cabins now beside the kids are $1000 more, your price does not seem too bad.

Learn your lesson, go have a great cruise. You may have to put one parent in each cabin but since the kids are teens you should be ok. 8 cabins down is not that far.

Please don't let this ruin your vacation and holiday. Your family deserves that much.

Next time book directly with RCCL.

Thanks! I've learned.

Thanks! We may end up doing this. My daughters are 13 and 15. Do not know who wants to stay with dad.:(

For me it was easy, I absolutely wanted to stay with my dad since he worked long hours and I didn't get to spend a lot of time with him. Also, Stacy (17) was notorious for sneaking out of the house, and since my mom is a very light sleeper, she decided to have Stacy room with her up on the 7th floor. :D

Thanks! We may end up doing this. My daughters are 13 and 15. Do not know who wants to stay with dad.:(

OP, don't worry about who actually stays with dad. ;) It's just on paper (or your S&S cards) that each minor kid needs be be paired up with a parent. But once you are in your cabins, you can make your sleep arrangements however you like. Of course, make sure your daughters are safe and know all the good rules about staying on a ship.

Happy cruising!

The sailing the OP is on was on the Monday/Tuesday Sale this week and had 9 catagories selling at cheap pricing for a Holiday cruise. Unfortunately, the OP purchased their cruise just prior to these prices. The sale was for new bookings only so they were not eligible for the price decrease. The cruise is showing as sold out on the cruiselines website.

I do think the TA should have been able to move the OP to adjacent cabins when they were available but that time is gone. I also think the OP jumped the gun here and did not look into the TA's policies. Some TA's charge change fees and cancellation fees and this one sounds like they are one of them.

At least it is all making sense now. The Tuesday Sale is for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. So OP was not entitled to a price drop plain and simple. Turns out TA was correct in stating that RCCL would not allow it. If only we had been given the ship and sail date as people asked many, many times.

Now there is no reason that the cabins could not have been changed to be near each other if A) they were available and B) they were in the same category already booked. I am not sure why OP feels like they deserve some sort of upgrade. The RCCL website does not even allow 2 minors to be booked without an adult. The TA website must be linked to the RCCL website so therefore would not allow 2 minors to be booked either. So they must actually be booked with one adult in each cabin now. OP has absolutely nothing to complain about period.

It really does sound like the TA did not take the extra step here. If you were booked directly with RCI they would have helped you out. I would say next time, avoid that TA like the plague.

However on another note, you still got a good deal on a cruise otherwise you wouldnt have booked it. Don't sweat the small things and just enjoy your cruise! Happy sailing!

I always book with RC.

But is there a government agency, that handles Travel Agents?

Can they do anything to help, or just fine the TA?

Are they listed in some group like the BBB?

I know it is too late for you, but you could help someone else.

When I complained about our cabin on Carnival,

I got slammed with " you should have looked into it "

So complaining here will not help anyone, since names can not be given here.

So people cannot be warned about them,

But if you could report them to some official agency,

that would be great for those who do look up companies.

Merry Christmas All

:rolleyes:

Ok, Really?? OP....what do you NOT understand about the Tuesday sale? IT IS FOR NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. You were not a NEW booking as you booked the day before. It is not RCI's fault or the TA fault.....IT IS YOUR FAULT. The way it is your fault is by not doing plenty of research BEFORE you booked your cruise and paid your money. I really have no idea why you are so upset? You were obviously happy with the amount you paid for the cruise or you never would have booked it. To say your vacation is ruined is a bit dramic isn't it?

Take this as a lesson learned and DO YOUR RESEARCH well before you book and trip. If you had done that, and found this board while researching, you would have known about the Tuesday sales and about the children needing to be in a room next to or across from yours. I can see no reason why you are so upset with RCI.

Ok, Really?? OP....what do you NOT understand about the Tuesday sale? IT IS FOR NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. You were not a NEW booking as you booked the day before. It is not RCI's fault or the TA fault.....IT IS YOUR FAULT. The way it is your fault is by not doing plenty of research BEFORE you booked your cruise and paid your money. I really have no idea why you are so upset? You were obviously happy with the amount you paid for the cruise or you never would have booked it. To say your vacation is ruined is a bit dramic isn't it?

Take this as a lesson learned and DO YOUR RESEARCH well before you book and trip. If you had done that, and found this board while researching, you would have known about the Tuesday sales and about the children needing to be in a room next to or across from yours. I can see no reason why you are so upset with RCI.

That's a little harsh don't you think?? OP is new to cruising & new to cruise critic...not everyone has acess to the Tuesday Specials like we do as C&A members, so they would have no idea there was a sale coming up the next day...a GOOD TA would have known..and would have let the customer know they could save money by waiting one day to book...or simply take their information...and make the booking the next day...then when the TA gives the the news of how much money "they" have saved them the customer is happy & the TA looks like a Hero...sadly the OP did not have a good TA and is frustrated & upeset over the money they could have saved...

A bit harsh, don't you think. The first time we booked with RCI, we had no idea that there was anything like a Tuesday sale, and had never heard of cruise critic - didn't even know these types of blogs existed. With more than 20 cruises already under our belts, we booked two cruises with RCI, and found out via email (which we provided when we booked) a week later that the cruises we had booked were now on sale and RCI patiently explained to us that we couldn't take advantage because of the Tuesday rules. Tablemates on our first RCI cruise introduced us to CC.

Another thought, Tuesday sales are only open to C&A members, new booking only. Is that right? :confused: If OP is new to RCCL, she is not a C&A member. So even had she waited till Tuesday she still wouldn't be eligible, would she? Am I understanding it correctly?

If so I hope OP feels better because she wouldn't be eligible for the better pricing no matter what.

Cruise booking can be fun, but also confusing. I have cruised for a long while and am still learning new things all the time.

1. The Tuesday's fare might be a sale. Monday's was not. I caught them twice, not once.

2. The TA made me believe that the cruise line is the problem, not them.

3. If all sale fares are for new booking only, where is the guarantee? Only people have old bookings will seeking price match, if you can catch them within 48 hours. They can always call their lower fare a sale and refuse to honor their guarantee. I feel RCL's best price guarantee is misleading.

4. I was putting on hold at length while they were trying to work this out. Three persons told me they will call me back. They have my number, no one ever called me back. I have to call them back. I seriously doubt that some of the agents did anything at all. (Hard to get the same person also, she/he will always be busy when you check back).

5. I have false hope that they will make the thing right. There some acknowledgement from the TA that my request is legitimate. Just, nobody can do anything about it. Again, “cruise line’s problem.”

6. I did pay higher fare, but not satisfied with the fare. I paid because that the price kept going up.

7. "If the fare goes up $1000 per cabin, I have to pay to make the change" is an assumption. Fare did not go up that much. If so, nobody will be willing to be on the boat. They use the assumption to make the point that I have to pay for any upgrade or move.

8. I should have done more research.

I will complain to BBB or the state travel board if I can found where the agency is even located. If you feel that I was the one to be blamed for these mass, I agree. I should not trust the online TA. I do feel if RCL care about their customers, they should have a department to deal with customer dispute with their travel agent.

Thanks again for all the replies and attentions. I appreciate your time.

Another thought, Tuesday sales are only open to C&A members, new booking only. Is that right? :confused: If OP is new to RCCL, she is not a C&A member. So even had she waited till Tuesday she still wouldn't be eligible, would she? Am I understanding it correctly?

If so I hope OP feels better because she wouldn't be eligible for the better pricing no matter what.

Cruise booking can be fun, but also confusing. I have cruised for a long while and am still learning new things all the time.

Thanks! the booking was open to everybody! I have the booking open while I talked with them. (two adjacent cabins) They would let me cancel mine. Otherwise, I just booked the new fare and canceled theirs.

Actually the C&A Sale is on Monday and anyone can book the Tuesday Sales.

1. The Tuesday's fare might be a sale. Monday's was not. I caught them twice, not once.

Some online websites will post the rates early on Monday even though most likely you couldn't get that rate inless you were a Crown and Anchor Member, then on Tuesday like somebody mentioned anybody can book it as a new booking.

Booking on Monday is one of the perks of being a Crown and Anchor member to give them better cabin selection as to what is left.

Jimbo:)

That's a little harsh don't you think?? OP is new to cruising & new to cruise critic...not everyone has acess to the Tuesday Specials like we do as C&A members, so they would have no idea there was a sale coming up the next day...a GOOD TA would have known..and would have let the customer know they could save money by waiting one day to book...or simply take their information...and make the booking the next day...then when the TA gives the the news of how much money "they" have saved them the customer is happy & the TA looks like a Hero...sadly the OP did not have a good TA and is frustrated & upeset over the money they could have saved...

Thanks for your understanding!!!

One thing I'll say about the guarantee. I also think it's worthless. They play the "new bookings only" card whenever they want to since they've always had that wording on every single cruise booking page.

48 hours is nothing. RCI claims to do some of the things they do in keeping with the industry standards (like no price reductions given after final payment). Then they should follow suit and have the early saver fare that Carnival has. I used that fare for the only Carnival cruise I've taken in a couple of years and it worked well. It's given back as OBC AND it's fully refundable once on board.

Gina

OP if you are not happy with the price of the cruise then do not book it. It is always a risk when booking a cruise. On our last booked cruise the price of the cruise went down $700.00 so I have decided that on our next cruise I will wait till after payment to book and then not look at the price again.

I really appreciate your comments, suggestions and opinions. I did not expect this. I will go to the cruise and let you know how it goes. I'm looking it this way now, I might over paid, and they do not care about me when they have the money. All the guarantees are really not meaningful. However, I'm contributing to this economy. The cruise line people need to get paid, the TA needs to get paid. I just wish my extra payment goes towards the working people.

Wish you all a wonderful holiday season! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I really appreciate your comments, suggestions and opinions. I did not expect this. I will go to the cruise and let you know how it goes. I'm looking it this way now, I might over paid, and they do not care about me when they have the money. All the guarantees are really not meaningful. However, I'm contributing to this economy. The cruise line people need to get paid, the TA needs to get paid. I just wish my extra payment goes towards the working people.

Wish you all a wonderful holiday season! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Go to your travel agent's website.

See if the agency is accredited by CLIA.

This is their governing professional association.

THIS is the group that you want to call and report this agent.

Archived