P&O New Tipping is it Passengers Fault

Aussie One

Recently i was introduced to a group of brits that where returning to the

UK. P&O Sydney to Southampton the main reason being that tipping was not compolsory. they said they had cruised P&O many times and had never tipped and new of plenty of passenger that didn,t tip as this made the cruise more affordable.

maybe this is why P&O have had to introduce this new tipping policy.

maybe P&O will reduce there cruise prices ??

if you reply to this post please try not to use. I OR WE. have a g/day Aussie

All I can say is that I have heard it all before and am perfectly well aware that a great number of British passengers do not tip. They make it very clear that they do not tip and are extremly proud of the fact that they do not tip.

The waiters on Arcadia's Alaska cruise went on strike only this year.

There have been news articles back in 2008 where Royal Caribbean got upset because no British passengers were tipping when they based Independence of the Seas in Southampton.

Crikey Aussie One and Sutho..be prepared for incoming from our British friends.

More than a few Aussies don't tip either.

But I would have to agree non tipping is probably the cataylst for the auto tips - or automatic wage subsidy as I call it, on P&O UK.

I didn't mind the P&O UK recommendations for our recent half WC's on Oriana and Arcadia . I think it was about 3 UKP per person per day. We had an exceptionally good cabin steward and waiters on the way home on Arcadia - and I did better than the recommended amount for them.

But - all things considered - this tipping "thing" is a pain in the B**. We are going on Cunard next year - and will pay the automatic gratuity. It amounts to $23 USD per day for the two of us -- I regard it as just part of the cost of the cruise. But cruising these days is a bit like the Internet - it is an International affair - and not just US centred. I wish we could sort this out - just when the Aussie P&O is taking off automatic gratities, P&O UK are putting them on!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Recently i was introduced to a group of brits that where returning to the

UK. P&O Sydney to Southampton the main reason being that tipping was not compolsory. they said they had cruised P&O many times and had never tipped and new of plenty of passenger that didn,t tip as this made the cruise more affordable.

maybe this is why P&O have had to introduce this new tipping policy.

maybe P&O will reduce there cruise prices ??

if you reply to this post please try not to use. I OR WE. have a g/day Aussie

That's a long way for Brits to go to avoid £3.10 a day tips :eek:

How come you can use the word 'I' but WE (oops) can't? ;)

Never heard such rubbish. Just remember my wonderful last cruise on Arcadia. There were no empty tables as far as the eye could see on the last night and we all had such fun handing our envelopes to our lovely waiters and wine steward.

I use the £3.10 pp to work out what I will give my steward and waiters, then I round it up to the nearest fiver.

Never heard such rubbish. Just remember my wonderful last cruise on Arcadia. There were no empty tables as far as the eye could see on the last night and we all had such fun handing our envelopes to our lovely waiters and wine steward.

I use the £3.10 pp to work out what I will give my steward and waiters, then I round it up to the nearest fiver.

Think it does happen !! just by reading the reviews on the Ventura cruise we were on jan/feb 2010. The service we had in club dining was awful, but we still paid the tips, basically because we know how poorly some of them are paid, but others wrote on that same cruise they didnt tip, and that the amount of empty tables in club dining on the last night was noticable.

We have just returned from Ventura Cruise, 3rd Dec, and the service was really excellent.

Like you we always tip above the normal amount, ,most times we give £100 tip for table of 4, instead of the recommmended £80something ??

my only worry with automatic tipping is will the service go in decline again ?? hopefully not, but there will still be those that will ask for the

tips to be removed for whatever reason. :confused:

The rules are not using I or WE Aussie

Maybe be coming into line with the rest of the Carnival Group. I know Cunard & Princess have auto gratuity, which with a visit to the pusars desk can be stopped. Us Brits don't like tipping generally, so I wonder if P & O are trying to avoid any embarassment of giving the tips.

okay aussie one, will try to obey your rules but will have to pretend am from royal family.

one was on the liberty of the seas last year and one was happy with the automatic tipping, one also gave extra to cabin steward. whatever holiday one goes on , wouldnt dream of not giving to maid when using hotels. it depends on where one holidays as to the amount one gives. in cuba one gave presents of things that are hard to come by rather than money as they have to share with so many others. at the end of the day, one has to do what feels right. but one must add that one doesnt feel it acceptable to tip for very poor service, one has been lucky on that score and has generally had good service.

one has found this very difficult to not use those unmentionable words!!:cool:

On the last day of the cruise have you noted the MDR is only half full is that because passengers use the escuse they are packing there luggage to avoid paying tips to wait staff.

have you noted passengers running along the passage ways at 7am on departure day with the escuse they are in training for the London Olympics to avoid tipping there cabin steward.

remember the rules no I or WE have a g/day Aussie

On the last day of the cruise have you noted the MDR is only half full is that because passengers use the escuse they are packing there luggage to avoid paying tips to wait staff.

have you noted passengers running along the passage ways at 7am on departure day with the escuse they are in training for the London Olympics to avoid tipping there cabin steward.

remember the rules no I or WE have a g/day Aussie

Quick answere, NO, that has not been noticed!

ovcccruiser, who says we Brits don't like tipping generally? I've never heard anything so ridiculous. :mad: Tipping for good service is a tradition in the UK as far as I'm aware, at least amongst those of a certain generation, and long may it continue.

Brian

okay aussie one, will try to obey your rules but will have to pretend am from royal family.

one was on the liberty of the seas last year and one was happy with the automatic tipping, one also gave extra to cabin steward. whatever holiday one goes on , wouldnt dream of not giving to maid when using hotels. it depends on where one holidays as to the amount one gives. in cuba one gave presents of things that are hard to come by rather than money as they have to share with so many others. at the end of the day, one has to do what feels right. but one must add that one doesnt feel it acceptable to tip for very poor service, one has been lucky on that score and has generally had good service.

one has found this very difficult to not use those unmentionable words!!:cool:

One found this very funny. lol

how on earth can an aussie dare to slander the good name of us brits ,when cruise lines are removing tips in their homeland cruises because they wont pay them.

these tip[ping threads are getting so bl00dy boring isn,t there anything cruise wise worth discussing .:p

have always tipped and will until the build it into everyones cruise price :cool:

how on earth can an aussie dare to slander the good name of us brits ,when cruise lines are removing tips in their homeland cruises because they wont pay them.

these tip[ping threads are getting so bl00dy boring isn,t there anything cruise wise worth discussing .:p

have always tipped and will until the build it into everyones cruise price :cool:

Don't think the OP was "slandering " Brits - just asking the question as to whether Brits alleged dislike of tipping (same as Aussies) was the cause of the new arrangements. It IS strange that the new arrangements proposed by P&O UK are exactly opposite to that undertaken by P&O AUS. :confused::confused:

Barry

MDR usually as full on the last night as any other. Only time actually met anyone in the flesh who were proud they did not tip and they were two Aussies who had done 101 days on board and run the waiters ragged.

When i started this thread it was with humour its nothing about what country you come from. it seams the only passengers that pay there tips are the people on this thread. as far as i,m concerned auto tipping is a good thing this will stop the free loaders and hopefully drop prices on P&O. I also think the service will improve because now the free loaders having to pay there tips upfront will become the biggest wingers.

my first w/cruise was on P&O Orcades 1962 this is when it was cash only no seapass in those days.have a good day Aussie

I think the British take topics like this too seriously. I know for a fact that I have definately seen it with my own eyes that there are British passengers who do not tip. I have also heard it with my own ears from the very British passengers who do not tip.

I do not judge them and think good on them for being honest.

I think the British take topics like this too seriously. I know for a fact that I have definately seen it with my own eyes that there are British passengers who do not tip. I have also heard it with my own ears from the very British passengers who do not tip.

I do not judge them and think good on them for being honest.

There is no way that none tipping is as prevalent as you would make out, in 18 cruises we have never had 1 person not turn up on the last day. We have tables for 8 so that is 144 who have tipped and 0 who have not.

I have no doubt that some people do not tip or tip very little but the proportion of cruisers doing this is small.

Of course some people on the far side of the world would like more not to tip so they are not shown up as much as now.

I am not bothered about the auto tip, being idle I will not bother to take it off and give more if the service is worth it.

BTW in 18 cruises it has always been worth it.

Gan Canny

Dai

When i started this thread it was with humour its nothing about what country you come from. it seams the only passengers that pay there tips are the people on this thread. as far as i,m concerned auto tipping is a good thing this will stop the free loaders and hopefully drop prices on P&O. I also think the service will improve because now the free loaders having to pay there tips upfront will become the biggest wingers.

my first w/cruise was on P&O Orcades 1962 this is when it was cash only no seapass in those days.have a good day Aussie

Hi Aussie One, the auto tips on P&O UK, will still be removable or able to be reduced, once onboard, so those lines at the Purser's counter will still be there, don't you worry about that.

Tipping is a personal thing to me, one tips or one does not tip, simple as that. Who does what does not concern me one bit.

(As for the no I/We, got me confused !)

I think one of the reasons we don't pay tips (in gerneral and not just on cruises) is because everything tends to be more expensive in the uk anyway so we always expect eveything to be included. I personally don't know anyone who tips and never really think to myself.

I'll be cruising for the first time next year and because of being on here I know what to expect where tips are concerned. However, when we got the letters about the auto tipping the people I'm travelling with hadn't even considered it because it wasn't on their radar and I think they are more than a little irritated by it.

Archived