P&O New Tipping is it Passengers Fault

Aussie One

I agree in part what Brian says on my last cruise i was asked by four differant crew members my advice for the best stores to buy a laptop when the ship was in Australia maybe they have free wifi below decks ?

some said it was for there children. Aussie

I am certain that I have noticed during our recent cruises that the staff seemed to be more keen on getting another contract after their current one has expired, than anything else. I have never had a feeling that they are looking for tips - although I have had the feel that the MDR wine waiters and those roaming the main theatres trying to sell drinks are probably working on a commission and are very keen to sell.

No proof - just a gut feel from things said and people watching :o

Barry

I agree in part what Brian says on my last cruise i was asked by four differant crew members my advice for the best stores to buy a laptop when the ship was in Australia maybe they have free wifi below decks ?

some said it was for there children. Aussie

Did you send them to Aldi? or Big W or K Mart ?

They have some good deals on lap tops sometimes.

The ship's crews generally know where to shop at the ports. Just follow them off the ship they will lead you to the nearest supermarket ! Where they stock up on their goodies. Amazing what they purchase.

Les, I note you have cruised Princess. Question i have booked Ruby Princess and paid a deposit do i pay my tips in advance or in a envolope on departure. thank you Aussie

Hi Aussie One. On Ruby Princess, which I recently did 30 days on..Greek Islands, Med, Transatlantic. The auto tip is added to your on board account, think it was $11.50 per day per person. Tips are not paid in advance. Of course you can vary that auto tip by visiting the Purser's desk. That is the system on all the 'American Princess ships' as I call them. Of course same system applied on Coral Princess which we were on a few days post Ruby.

As for envelopes, that is up to you, if the auto tips are reduced below the suggested amount, crew are supposed to hand the $ in. What they do is their business.

Only on the Princess ships operating out of Australia, Dawn Princess, Sun Princess, Sea Princess have the auto tips been abolished.

ovcccruiser, who says we Brits don't like tipping generally? I've never heard anything so ridiculous. :mad: Tipping for good service is a tradition in the UK as far as I'm aware, at least amongst those of a certain generation, and long may it continue.

Brian

I completely agree with you I am sure this originated from the USA where they found we did not tip everyone as they do But when we lived in UK for 65 years I tipped taxis, cafes, porters, restaurants, hairdressers and etc the usual 10/15% and we do the same here in Australia Remember also we tipped in the UK and Australia even though THEY GET A GOOD WAGE compared to the USA workers

Les

Have always cancelled the auto tips on Princess. Never a problem. My mind is always clear on who I recognise for good service and is always appreciated

Brian

Brian, no worries. As I have always said, tipping is a personal thing and personal choice in my mind, whether one tips by auto tip, envelope, no tips, huge tips etc.

However many on CC don't agree with that statement.

I completely agree with you I am sure this originated from the USA where they found we did not tip everyone as they do But when we lived in UK for 65 years I tipped taxis, cafes, porters, restaurants, hairdressers and etc the usual 10/15% and we do the same here in Australia Remember also we tipped in the UK and Australia even though THEY GET A GOOD WAGE compared to the USA workers

Hmm - well for the 65 years that I have lived here in Australia - I have never tipped anyone for anything (except maybe for only lately). 20 Years ago before I did any private International travel ( ie not with the Military) , I didn't even really know much about the very concept of tipping. I guess I did know it was something that was done in the US - but not having been there , I didn't know why they did it, or who there did it.

I certainly have never tipped a taxi driver here in Australia in my life . Why would I? - taxi drivers are paid employees, the same as I have almost always ever been. Nobody has ever tipped me for doing my job. Why would I tip a taxi driver? I don't know what his wages are or the terms and conditions of his employment. IF he is poorly paid (and just this week this has been the matter of newspaper articles here ), then that would probably be because he is a taxi driver. If he was a rocket scientist (like me :)) then he would not be so poorly paid. If he wants to be paid like a rocket scientist then he will have to become one - not gather extra living money from his employee's customers. Also why would I tip a taxi driver - if I don't tip a bus driver. I have asked questions like this time and time again of Americans. Why tip taxi drivers and not bus drivers. Why tip barman - but not the low paid staff on the counter at McDonalds. Why tip a porter , when you don't tip a Postal worker?? I can NEVER get any answers to these questions from Americans . I suspect that they themselves don't know. They probably do it , just because they do. Indoctrinated from birth - like some religion.

Certainly - do in Rome what the Romans do. When we now go to the US, we attempt to understand the arcane ritual of tipping - try to understand who to tip and who not to tip. When however, we go to the UK - I revert back to our natural Australian position, which is essentially no tipping.:eek:

Barry

You know hairdressers out here are probably making a massive fortune! Have you ever walked into a male barber shop? they are essentially all privately owned with one owner/worker packed with men all day long charging these days $10 to $20 per cut and they can afford to take days off! I recon they average about 6 customers/hour. In fact when I go to get my hair cut there is always a line up. One of the barbers I go to has often done free haircuts for men who have mentioned its their wedding day!

I agree with tipping staff personally IF they give me good service , I do not like auto tipping and most certainly feel it has contributed to a downward spiral of service on a "certain other line"

When I mentioned on that line's site that I had removed the auto tip 3 days before the ned of the cruise because of poor service , I was well and truly "flamed" as a cheap skate , however I will continue to tip only those staff with whom I come into contact and who deserve the extra.

I just cannot understand why anyone would auto tip, so that the the vegetable peeler, the dishwasher, or the buffet staff when you never use the buffet share in the tips. When I eat in a restaurent I do not tip the kitchen staff, or the valet parking staff if I do not have a car,.

I also have never received any replies when I ask - Does the cruise line take a share of the auto tip[!!!!!

Sutho

Yes - I have never ever tipped a barber/hairdresser either:) But I don't even go to them anymore - no hair!! :p

Barry

Here's one for you blokes..I had a haircut on Ruby Princess in November, US$35 plus 15% gratuity, total $40. Such is life on the high seas. I pay $20 here.

This Thread about tipping its a extra that nobody likes.

there is a old saying one gets more from giving than receiving.

we are led to believe that the crews are underpaid and need tipping for them to suplement there wages in the USA this is i,m told is true.

how do we no that auto tipping that the money is passed on to the staff ? Aussie

There are also people who do not understand it and the idea of tipping is not even in some peoples minds to begin with. Many Australians have never head of tipping, do not know what it is and many would be offended be it. I found the whole process extremely embarassing as when I first went overseas I did not know who to tip, how much and what to tip for! Where do you draw the line? Do you tip stewards for taking your photo on deck? these are the little things that cross your mind and embarass you about tipping. True story on Sapphire Princess back in 2005 a group of us younger passengers used to party in the Skywalkers night club. One of the guys was asked by another passenger to take a few photos of their group at the bar and he was slipped a $50 for his trouble. Being Australian we just did not understand what it was for and why and got a few laughs out of it.

There are also people who do not understand it and the idea of tipping is not even in some peoples minds to begin with. Many Australians have never head of tipping, do not know what it is and many would be offended be it. I found the whole process extremely embarassing as when I first went overseas I did not know who to tip, how much and what to tip for! Where do you draw the line? Do you tip stewards for taking your photo on deck? these are the little things that cross your mind and embarass you about tipping. True story on Sapphire Princess back in 2005 a group of us younger passengers used to party in the Skywalkers night club. One of the guys was asked by another passenger to take a few photos of their group at the bar and he was slipped a $50 for his trouble. Being Australian we just did not understand what it was for and why and got a few laughs out of it.

Sutho I agree with you on some of your points. Like you on our first trip to USA and on the ships, did not know what to do with tipping. I was soon reminded by bell boys, cab drivers, barbers, barmen, wait staff. Also I wonder if the recipients of tips, i.e. ships service staff, waiters in the US etc, are embarrased to receive tips, I would be.

But then many of them are born with the tipping disease in their blood.

Like you I am glad we live in a country that pays proper wages.

The crew are contracted in India I believe thats why they are on such low wages? If they were employed in the UK they would be on at least the minimum wage.

Are they really on a low wage though we need to know the truth? It has been said before tips for 12 cabins every day over a 6/9 month contract alone can't be bad plus wages and free food and accomodation, NO-ONE really seems to know how much they are paid , or how little?:rolleyes::confused:

'' I certainly have never tipped a taxi driver here in Australia in my life . Why would I? - taxi drivers are paid employees, the same as I have almost always ever been. Nobody has ever tipped me for doing my job. Why would I tip a taxi driver? I don't know what his wages are or the terms and conditions of his employment. IF he is poorly paid (and just this week this has been the matter of newspaper articles here ), then that would probably be because he is a taxi driver. If he was a rocket scientist (like me :)) then he would not be so poorly paid. If he wants to be paid like a rocket scientist then he will have to become one - not gather extra living money from his employee's customers. Also why would I tip a taxi driver - if I don't tip a bus driver. I have asked questions like this time and time again of Americans. Why tip taxi drivers and not bus drivers. Why tip barman - but not the low paid staff on the counter at McDonalds. Why tip a porter , when you don't tip a Postal worker?? I can NEVER get any answers to these questions from Americans . I suspect that they themselves don't know. They probably do it , just because they do. Indoctrinated from birth - like some religion.''

Good points. I worked until recently as a sales assistant in a nice little ladies clothes shop, on minimum wage,no break, no drink, no-one every tipped me. and I would spend sometimes upto half a hour helping a elderly lady choose a outfit for a wedding, fetch things while she is in the changing room etc etc... a porter at the docks spend 2-3 minutes taking your cases from your car to the ship, and we have to tip him? WHY?

this subject is never going to go away ,americans tip because it makess them look good they brag at what they tip, i gave the cabin boy $100 and the head waiter $200 (didn,t pay anything else on cruise like us though) so the rest of the world has to do what say as per usual.

oz,s kiwi,s brits our society pays decent wages so were not used to tipping for nothing special.

wonder if americans tip the police after they arrest them for drink driving :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was told by a friend who works on Adonia that 60% had their tip taken off freedom dining on a cruise ship last year!!!

Remember hearing about that strike on Arcadia?

people should be ashamed of themselves.

I have always paid my tips. If service is good then I add more on. If its just ok then I pay the neat amount. P&O say in the booklet on tipping that the wine waiters tips are already taken care of, but I still give them something.

On Celebrity recently our tips were taken off at time of booking - we were freedom dining. Good system. We had the same waiters for 4 nights out of 5 and they were so good we tipped them extra.

We gave our waiters - and wine waiter and cabin steward a little cash gift on Xmas day. They were most grateful. I thought this was what people did on a xmas cruise( I had read it on cc!), but there wasn't any sign of gifts being given in the restaurant that night.

These poor young men and women are a long way from home, they work so hard and they deserve our thanks.

Caryl

ok £3 pp pd, £6 per cabin, £84 for a 2 week cruise,

how many cabins for 1 steward, say 10, , possibly more, we will go for 10

thats £840 just tips. so his wage just requires to be £80 per week, there you go £2000 per month, min, tax free.. just 10 cabins, not bad !!!

thats £840 just tips. so his wage just requires to be £80 per week, there you go £2000 per month, min, tax free.. just 10 cabins, not bad !!! if the rest dont pay, 10 cabins, still not bad, hotel workers around the globe, would be lucky to get half.

A copper in the uk only gets just over £500 pw,

the avaerage wage in the uk is £15,000 a year not £60,000 ,so im expected to fork out £1500 ea for a 2 week cruise then £100 in tips minimum.

we had one bar steward brag to us on one cruise he earned $1500 on a 10 day cruise, loved brits because we drank like fish.

they dont get forced to work on cruise ships, they know they can earn good money.

some even start a business when they return home after 3 years on the ships .

so who,s the clever ones (not us) work hard all year for a decent holiday to get someone telling us if we dont want to pay tips dont cruise because you cant afford it, two words one is UP and the other is YOURS.

thats £840 just tips. so his wage just requires to be £80 per week, there you go £2000 per month, min, tax free.. just 10 cabins, not bad !!!

The £3.10 figure includes only £1.50 to your cabin steward so you need to half your figures. The other £1.60 is for your restaurant waiters.

Brian

Archived