Captain's Table

kifler

Many factors and not all ships decide the same way....

Most times,it's the highest cruisers......or pax doing a b2b.......or someone of importance......

OR it can just be someone who one of the head waiters,or LA,or whoever thinks would be a good fit and interesting company..

There is not one set rule who gets picked..

Just out of curiosity, how do they select who gets to have dinner at the Captain's table? Is it his/her choice, pinnacle cruisers, random draw?

I'd love to have the honour one day.

All of the above. The Captain is often involved in the decision. Captain Bang said he always invites any guest who are from Norway. Then as Kathy said, it could be B2B cruisers, Royal Suite guests, Pinnacle or someone who was recommended by one of the crew.

We got invited on our only B2B in 2006 Mariner of the Seas. My wife was seated right next to "Captain Johnny" and she was scared :eek: all thru the dinner that she might spill something on him! It was a great experence and fond memory though and we would do it again if ever invited.

We were at the captain's table on the Infinity during our recent Alaska cruise. We got invited because we got very friendly with the concierge. There were also 2 newlywed couples. The wife of the 3rd couple was checking out the ship for some sort of event she wanted to do on Celebrity so that's why she got invited. It was definetely an enjoyable evening and we all felt very special to be dining with the captain.

We did a B2B2B on the Explorer in October. It was also our anniversary and our 25, 26 and 27th cruises. We did get invited to the Captain's table. This is the first time DH did not bring a sport coat so we declined. It would have been nice. Doing 3 cruises in a row it made it hard for packing and that's why DH did not want to bring his sport coat. Oh well.

Jan

I mentioned to the Captain on the night when you get in line and "meet" him that I had read many nice comments about him on Cruise Critic. He asked for my cabin # and wrote it down. A few nights later we were invited to dine at his table. We also received 2 or 3 little goodie plates with his compliments during the cruise.:)

Quite often its just strange things. Many years ago we cruised on the Sun Viking and had an amazing English waiter named Gary Branch. Several years later we happened to be on that same ship when we ran into Gary who was then the Dining Room Manager on the same ship. He invited us, and our friends (who were on their first cruise) to dine at the Captain's Table who just happened to be the very popular (and friendly) Captain Bang. During dinner, Gary personally waited on DW and moi which got the attention of Captain Bang. He wanted to know how we got his dining room manager to be our personal waiter :)

Hank

I mentioned to the Captain on the night when you get in line and "meet" him that I had read many nice comments about him on Cruise Critic. He asked for my cabin # and wrote it down. A few nights later we were invited to dine at his table. We also received 2 or 3 little goodie plates with his compliments during the cruise.:)

Wow, I am totally swiping that trick. You know exactly why you got invited...

Did you post a review after your cruise? (that's what he wanted :) )

We are still trying figure out why the head waiter asked us and our table mates. It was my wife & I, along with 3 couples from New York, that we never meet before. It was the first time for all of us on a RCCL ship. Just chalked it up to stuff happens, in the right place, at the right time.

The Captain had his wife, kids, and in-laws on the ship with him. We dined with them, except for the kids, and was invited to a tour of bridge later in the trip. His wife and kids meet us for the bridge tour and we all had a great time.

Just out of curiosity, how do they select who gets to have dinner at the Captain's table? Is it his/her choice, pinnacle cruisers, random draw?

Kifler........sometimes it is just being in the right place at the right time I think. We are diamond on RCCL and elite on Celebrity but have never had a suite, never taken a b2b, etc. We have been invited 3 times........all on Celebrity. After having been away from Celebrity for several cruises, I was telling what I thought to be a supervisor at check-in how thrilled we were to be back - as it turned out she was the concierge (did not have my glasses on so could not read her name tag). The second time the concierge stopped to chat with us in the Elite lounge one morning and we later received the invitation........the third time we had stopped to pickup cruise booklets and the concierge asked us about dinner that night. We declined the third time......my husband is somewhat shy and he had been so gracious to accept the other two times for me. It was a lovely experience both times.

Never been to his MDR table on RCI, but out of 4 Celebrity cruises, we have 3 times. According to the Captain's Club host, it's because of our friendly, joking attitudes. DW being a hot blond may have something to do with it too. ;)

We were on Adventure o the Seas over Thanksgiving this year. We returned to our stateroom one day to find an invitation to dine with the captain. We have 18 cruises(D+) on RCCL and this was our first invite. The other three couples at the table were all D+ and had dined with the captain on previous cruises. It was a very memorable evening, especially since I was seated next to the captain.

We were invited to dine at the Captain's table on our Alaska cruise many years ago. We were staying in a suite, but it had more to do with the fact that we booked through one of the ship's best performing travel agents...and he happened to actually be on the cruise with us. It was a lot of fun and one of the entertainers, who dined with us, came back to our cabin for cocktails after dinner.

Never sat at captain's table, never would. I suspect they choose the people based on who can best act interested whilst bored out of their skulls.

It really wasn't boring - it was quite interesting hearing about the Captains life, where he was from, his family etc. He was also truly interested in our lives back home. Id do it again in a minute. :)

It really wasn't boring - it was quite interesting hearing about the Captains life, where he was from, his family etc. He was also truly interested in our lives back home. Id do it again in a minute. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) I know a lot of people do, I'm just not one of them.

Wow, I am totally swiping that trick. You know exactly why you got invited...

Did you post a review after your cruise? (that's what he wanted :) )

Nope, no review. I did email him a thank you after the cruise. I really was very surprised by the invitation to dinner.:)

Archived