Chankanaab Park

danielbriere

Hoping someone can shed some light on this park for snorkeling.

It's my understanding that you don't need to reserve anything but can get off the ship, grab a cab and go. Is this correct?

We don't necessarily want to lock ourselves in yet in case there's bad weather but will likely want to visit. Does it get full at a certain time of day? Do they run out of equipment to rent? Is the place overrun with guests at certain times?

Secondly, how is the snorkeling? I've heard both good and bad.

Appreciate any help with this.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this park for snorkeling.

It's my understanding that you don't need to reserve anything but can get off the ship, grab a cab and go. Is this correct?

We don't necessarily want to lock ourselves in yet in case there's bad weather but will likely want to visit. Does it get full at a certain time of day? Do they run out of equipment to rent? Is the place overrun with guests at certain times?

Secondly, how is the snorkeling? I've heard both good and bad.

Appreciate any help with this.

It is hard to say if the park will be crowded as it depends on the day and how many ships are in port. It is a rather large park so we doubt crowding is a frequent problem.

As for the snorkling, the last time we were there the best areas had been roped off because of the damage the snorklers were inflicting on the coral. You can still get close but not directly over those reefs.

There was also a large Christ Statue in deeper water that is within snorkling distance from shore.

It is hard to say if the park will be crowded as it depends on the day and how many ships are in port. It is a rather large park so we doubt crowding is a frequent problem.

As for the snorkling, the last time we were there the best areas had been roped off because of the damage the snorklers were inflicting on the coral. You can still get close but not directly over those reefs.

There was also a large Christ Statue in deeper water that is within snorkling distance from shore.

It is very large parl and worth it

and closs by!:D

We went early and it was not crowded at all. After lunch there were some snorkel tours so more people in water. Have not been in two years but we enjoyed the snorkeling. e are planning to go back this summer. Food and drinks are available for a reasonable cost IMO.

HI all!

My DS & I took a cab over from the Oasis (cost $10 + tip). Admittance to the park was $21 for adults but there's a $2 discount coupon on their website.

We had a great time, there's so much to do there & the beach is beautiful but it's rocky going into the water (by ladder) where people were snorkelling. Heard there was a lot of fish. We were there to see the shows & relax. The seal show was good & we saw where the dolphins & manatees were, a lagoon, little ruins & a garden. It wasn't crowded at all & we were back at the ship in time for lunch.

~ Jo ~ :)

SDC14544.jpg.c85696a9234328db98ea555e422670ad.jpg

Not too repeat too much, but we found it an easy (5-10 min) cab ride from the port, wide open snorkeling areas (and some areas they encouraged us to stay clear of), reasonable food & drink. Lots to do, and a very comfortable place to hang out.

The coupon on the web will save some $$ on the entry fee.

Looking forward to our return in January 2012.

yes - you can bring your own gear - i did so last week.

You are required to wear a lifevest, which you can sign out free of charge.

Word of caution...the fins i brought were broken so i went without and really had to dig with both arms and legs to fight the current to the left(looking from shore) of the platform in the swimming area to get back to shore.

Since i was the only one in my group snorkling, i just did my own thing.

We saw as many fish walking along the sea-wall as i did out there.

I wish i had booked a snorkle tour...as there wasn't much to see besides the statue in the swimming area. There were some snorkle boats out a ways, so i assume there is more coral and fish out farther.

We had a very nice day - the park was clean and didn't feel crowded, even tho there were 5-6 ships that day. The sea lion show was cute.

(DH & friends enjoyed the special- bucket of 6beers, chips&salsa and 2 shots for $22US)

We had a wonderful time and there were tons of fish and sea life there that day. As with any snorkeling, some days are better than others and people see different things. The people behind us had just seen a seahorse on the rock behind me and I turned around to try to find it and it was gone. :( But in general, it was the most beautiful beach and had awesome snorkeling that we are planning a trip back next year!! It was by far the best port on our cruise this year. We took our 3 year old and she went out with us while snorkeling and boy did she love the amount of fish there...here's proof:

IMG5714-M.jpg

There are several statues out in the deeper part of the water to see as well.

Here is a link to my review there that day with a link at the bottom to tons of pictures around Chankanaab and while snorkeling:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

• 3 weeks later...

So glad I found this thread.

I am wanting to go swim with the Manatee's. I was worried about distance and also had another question. I have my husband and a friend who has some physical limitations, also her hubby wants to come and watch but doesn't want to participate. Will we be able to just grab a cab at the pier, we are sailing on Oasis February 9th, and all four of us get there and THEN buy the packages? Or would you suggest calling ahead and making arrangement prior to boarding our cruise Jan 27th?

I am sooo excited, we loooove animals and have done a dolphin swim, sting ray swim, turtle farm, and a whale watching tour in Hawaii.

If I understand this right, we go there and then you can do your encounter and spend the rest of the time at the marina watching the shows and seeing the animals... is that correct?

Thanks for all your help.

Chass

You do not have to make reservations just to visit or snorkwl. I was there Jan 6. The snorkeling was great, right off the shore. We were there to the Royal Dolphin Swim and snorkeled afterwards. It is not far. Our taxi ride was $10 for two people. I was really surprised about how tranquil it was. There is a nice pool area. There are free lounge chairs on the sandy beach (stairs lead to the water because it is rocky, which makes for great snorkeling). The lockers down by the dolphin swim are free, but at the beach end you have to pay for them. There were 8 ships in port, and even with lots of people around, Chankanaab seemed so peaceful compared to other Cozumel beaches I have been to. We brought our own snorkel gear, but you can rent it. I am a huge Nachi Cocom fan, but I will visit Chankanaab again.

Mike, maybe you should reserve that. Look at Dolphin Discovery. We booked thru Cozumel Tours and they directed us to Dolphin Discovery. You can email Cozumel Tours and ask them. We got to get in with the Manatee for free after our dolphin excursion. They are very gentle. You will love them!

As for the person that wanted to watch. I just saw your post. You can sit on the dock and watch from a short distance. Only paying participants can go out to where the dolphins and manatees are.

I really enjoyed Chankanaab. I will go back the next time I am in Cozumel.

I agree. I would definitely book ahead of time if this is something that you really want to do. If you don't, you can risk not being able to get in because they are booked. They only have several swims during the day. We picked the one later in the day and did the snorkeling and hanging out at the beach (the ruins and lagoon) first and then packed up and headed over to the swim at the end.

Since you are going this month, you probably will not be able to get a discount on the swims though. :( I think you have to book 30 days prior to arrival in order to get the discounted price.

When I booked the dolphin swim for two of my kids they said they would include the sea lion show for free, and that the others in the group would have to pay for that separately. I got the feeling she was just trying to talk me into more sales, though. Does anyone know if that is included in the $21 admission or if it's a separate cost?

Thanks!

When I booked the dolphin swim for two of my kids they said they would include the sea lion show for free, and that the others in the group would have to pay for that separately. I got the feeling she was just trying to talk me into more sales, though. Does anyone know if that is included in the $21 admission or if it's a separate cost?

Thanks!

When you book a dolphin swim or any other animal, it pays for your admission into the park and all the shows. As far as I know all of the shows are included with the price of admission. Once you are in, all the shows, pools, beach chairs, etc. are free. You have to pay for food and drinks and souveniers and of course the "swim with" excursions. You can rent snorkel equipment or bring your own. They have free flimsy life jackets to snorkel with, you just leave an ID. We didn't use any. They have really good life jackets for the dolphins swims and such and they are free. The lockers by the dolphin swim are free, but the lockers at the other end you have to pay for. We used the one by the dolphin swim all day. We also found the prices at the restaurant by the dolphin swim were better. Have fun!

We plan to go to Chankanaab on our cruise (thanks to Mitsugirly's review :)). Can't wait! I've tried to post a link for anyone that is interested in The Royal Swim With The Dolphins, etc. Looks like you pay for one and get a 2nd program for $1.00. But I can't seem to copy and paste the link so it can be accessed. But if you go to dolphindiscovery dot com/cozumel and click on "Deals", then "Cozumel", you should see the deal. We won't be doing that, so I don't know more than that about it. So be sure to ck into it to make sure it's valid.

We've been to Coz 10 times and we snorkel every trip. Chank is the only place that we have done twice. I am sure that if I asked my wife to go again, she would give it a thumbs up.

I completely agree and we are planning our next cruise with the ports that WILL go to Cozumel just so I can go back (but different other ports than last year). That's how much I enjoyed it there. :D

We plan to go to Chankanaab on our cruise (thanks to Mitsugirly's review :)). Can't wait! I've tried to post a link for anyone that is interested in The Royal Swim With The Dolphins, etc. Looks like you pay for one and get a 2nd program for $1.00. But I can't seem to copy and paste the link so it can be accessed. But if you go to dolphindiscovery dot com/cozumel and click on "Deals", then "Cozumel", you should see the deal. We won't be doing that, so I don't know more than that about it. So be sure to ck into it to make sure it's valid.

You are correct. I was looking at the site yesterday for my daughter and I read the same thing about the 2nd person is only $1.00. That's an awesome deal for anyone planning on doing the royal swim!! :)

Archived