Is the Century a Disappointment?

Eve

We are long-time Celebrity cruisers and sailed Century before she received her expansion and overhaul. Most recently, were sailed the Solstice and loved the voyage.

Booked now on the Century for Alaska next June. Wondering if the ship is run down and will be a disappointment. Can anyone provide details as to her current condition and their recent sailing experience?

Thanks!

There are about 12 separate threads about the condition of the Century. If you do a search I'm sure they will pop up.

I was on the Century last January. She is a beautiful, charming, well maintained ship. Her crew is amazing and we had an absolutely wonderful time. I'm sure if I looked I could have fund something wrong but I didn't. The Captain was highly visible and I think this was one of the reasons everything ran so well. You will have a great time on the Century. She is a wonderful ship.

Booked now on the Century for Alaska next June. Wondering if the ship is run down and will be a disappointment.

Here is a link to recent reviews.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=15

You may want to spend some time reading them as well as using the Search Function (as mentioned above) to find threads about the ships condition.

Not sure however I would have booked a cruise already wondering if that ship was run down and would be a disappointment? Can't imagine that Celebrity Cruises would allow that to happen to their ships? Just saying...

Have a great cruise.

Eve -- this (see link below) is the best recent thread on the condition of Century. DarthGrady took some fabulous photos, back in January. It takes a little scrolling to see all 3 pages of them, but it's well worth the time. :cool:

We're looking forward to sailing Century to Hawaii in April! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1340458&highlight=darthgrady+century+photos

Last December we got off an Eclipse TA and immediately onto Century for a Caribbean cruise. I booked Century because the price was so good, and we were in the right place at the right time. I had serious doubts when I was on Eclipse, thinking Century would not compare. We also changed from CC to an inside cabin.

The Century cruise was one of the most enjoyable ever for us. It is a different experience from S class, but it is such a happy ship that you can't help enjoy it. The atmosphere was really positive and the ship was generally in good shape. if you are the sort of person who looks for flaws you would probably find some, and it lacks the 'glitz' factor of S class, but the ship is clean and well maintained. The crew seemed genuinely anxious to please, and the officers were the most visible of any ship we have been on. I would sail on Century again in a heart beat.

Sheila

Last December we got off an Eclipse TA and immediately onto Century for a Caribbean cruise. I booked Century because the price was so good, and we were in the right place at the right time. I had serious doubts when I was on Eclipse, thinking Century would not compare. We also changed from CC to an inside cabin.

The Century cruise was one of the most enjoyable ever for us. It is a different experience from S class, but it is such a happy ship that you can't help enjoy it. The atmosphere was really positive and the ship was generally in good shape. if you are the sort of person who looks for flaws you would probably find some, and it lacks the 'glitz' factor of S class, but the ship is clean and well maintained. The crew seemed genuinely anxious to please, and the officers were the most visible of any ship we have been on. I would sail on Century again in a heart beat.

Sheila

Shelia loved reading your post:D. We have done many Celebrity cruises & loved sailing Equinox with its modern decor:) .Then this year we did 3 b2b2b on Millie .We had the same feeling as you going back to a older ;but beautiful ship:D . Now we are looking forward to sailing Century to Hawaii April 2012 :D

We don't see any thing bad here .It's all good:D .

A day on a cruise ship beats a day at the office :p

I have also sailed her 6 times, most recently back in May for 8 nights.:)

She is now 16 years old so if you are thinking ultra modern like the new

S class? You won't find it. She is one of my most favorite ships and has

never disappointed me:) She might be older, but so am I.......;)

She is still wonderful (in my opinion).

My husband and I were on the 18 night Pacific Jewels cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. We left the Century on November 30th. After spending a week in Sydney and then another 48 hours in Honolulu we have been home a week. There seem to be a number of questions about Century, and I will try to write a review, but at present am still preparing for Christmas.

If I remember correctly someone several months ago posted that they found Century to be very dirty and in bad shape. Again, if my memory is correct, some of the details that poster listed was that they nearly tripped over torn carpet, thought that upholstered furniture was filthy and also in poor condition. Again, if my memory is correct, that poster stated that they would never sail in Century again.

Our impressions of the Century are very different. Our stateroom carpet looked new, and while some molding around a nightstand and also desk needed to be re-finished, the room was impeccably clean. The bedding and curtains also appeared new. The towels and robes were in great condition.

In the public areas the carpet again appeared new. It certainly was in great shape. We did nightly "research" in the Cova, and also did a significant amount of "research" in both the Rendezvous and Martini bars and never found that dirty upholstered furniture referred to by a poster several months ago. All public rooms, including bathrooms, were extremely well maintained and clean.

We were also very impressed with the officers, staff and crew. All of the officers, including Captain Karamaounas and Staff Captain Kardasilaris were very visible with much interaction with the passengers. Our butler Paul D'Costa and room steward Jose were two of the best we have ever had. Our waiter Darwin and his assistant Gilbert were a great team. Korina Murphy was a delightful Captains Club hostess and ran a great elite happy hour. We had dinner several times at Murano, and the Maitre D was fantastic.

I could ramble on, but it should be clear that while this was the first time we were on Century, we were very pleased. It was a great ship and our only regret was that we had to disembark. Mercury was always a favorite for us, and we certainly hope that Century does not become Mein Schiff III.

Archived