Bye bye Pacific Sun

icat2000

A day to remember as Ann announces Pacific Sun's farewell from our fleet in July 2012.

P&O Cruises announces farewell to Pacific Sun scheduled for July 2012

Some important news for you in relation to Pacific Sun. In her more than seven years with P&O Cruises, Pacific Sun has carried more than half a million passengers. We wanted you to know we will be saying a fond farewell to her next year. It won’t be until July 2012 but we wanted to give everyone as much notice as possible. Pacific Sun’s last cruise with us will be N228 -- a seven-nighter to the Pacific Islands departing Brisbane on July 1 and returning July 8. We’ll soon be contacting passengers booked on Pacific Sun cruises after that date. Our apologies for any inconvenience but we’re confident of providing most passengers with great cruise alternatives. And we know many of Pacific Sun’s loyal fans will want to make a last sentimental journey on Australia’s favourite cruise ship. Please contact your travel agent or P&O Cruises if you would like to sail on one of Pacific Sun’s farewell cruises.

http://www.facebook.com/POCruises

I know allot of people will be pleased to see that floating piece of scrap metal depart for good. It has been a black mark on P&O Australias fleet for years. It has turned first time cruisers off cruising, has broken down continually and has really damaged P&O Australia's reputation here in Newcastle. Newcastle is a small city and I know many people who were absolutely disgusted with the ship and how P&O treated them over several broken down cruises from this city.

I think P&O Australia has the potential to become more of a cruise line. They have accepted at least some better quality ships that used to run with Princess. The twins Pacific Jewel and Dawn (although seen better days) are still worthy of attracting passengers. Pacific Pearl also has come from Princess, given its stint with Ocean Village it has certainly been run in and had many passengers.

With a bit of luck P&O Australia will use this opportunity to expand and hopefully aquire a better ship than the rubbish Pacific Sun was.

This message was posted on P&O's youtube page...

And this letter/email was sent to passengers booked on cruises after July 8th...

Carnival Australia has confirmed the Sale of their ship, Pacific Sun in an email sent to all passengers boarding after July 8th 2012. Thank You to Danielle for sending in this email:

"I am writing to you with important information regarding your Pacific Sun cruise N____, which was due to depart ___________ on ______________. (Any Cruise after July 8 2012)

Carnival Australia, owners and operators... of P&O Cruises, today announced the sale of Pacific Sun. The ship will continue to operate as scheduled until 8 July 2012; however I regret to advise that Pacific Sun cruises from that date have been cancelled. P&O Cruises understands that you booked your cruise holiday well in advance, and we sincerely apologise for any disappointment caused.

To ensure there is space held for you while you consider your options, your booking will be automatically transferred onto the most comparable P&O Cruises departure based on your original choice of cruise, which is ____________, a ___ night cruise departing __________ on ____________.

P&O Cruises will provide you with complimentary economy ________-return flights from ___________ if you travel on the above cruise.

If your alternative cruise has a higher fare than the original cruise, please be assured that P&O Cruises will honour your original Pacific Sun fare. In addition, should the alternative be available at a lower fare than paid for Pacific Sun, you will pay the lower fare. This includes when your cruise is shorter in duration, or if the same cabin category is unavailable.

Your new Booking Number and cruise information will be sent to you by the end of the week. Once received, we ask you to please review it carefully. We recommend you wait to receive this before calling us. If you are happy to travel on the suggested alternative, please email pacificsun@pocruises.com.au to confirm you plan to travel by 10 February 2012. Please include in your email your new Booking Number, full name and whether you require complimentary economy __________-return flights from __________.

However, if you would prefer a different cruise, you can transfer to another P&O Cruises’ sailing of your choice at the current best available fare, or cancel and receive a full refund. Please call us Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm (AEDST) on 1800 129 961 (AU) or 0800 444 820 (NZ) to arrange either of these options by 10 February 2012.

Enclosed you will find Questions & Answers which we hope will assist with any queries you may have.

Once again, P&O Cruises sincerely apologises for this disruption to your travel plans. We hope to be able to welcome you onboard soon.

Yours sincerely,

Keith McDonald

Director of Customer Service"

So is it off to the scrap heap or being pensioned off to another line?

The Pacific Sun has had many breakdowns. Hopefully P&O will replace it with a better cast off from the northern hemisphere.

Is it being replaced? Or is P&O scaling back its fleet due to the extra ships coming to Australia?

They haven't said yet. Hope she's being sold (perhaps to Pullmantur) and not sailing off to the graveyard at Alang, as she has been faithfully taking people on their Asian cruises from Fremantle for the past season. There have been some unnecessary spiteful remarks about her on the FB announcement thread, which is sad, while others have already booked on her farewell cruise. I can safely bet that is one cruise that will be fully booked very soon. :):):)

So I wonder what Pac Sun will be replaced with?? I know I would be a bit nervous sailing between now and then I don't think they will be spending anymore money on her...

Despite having seen better days..I am sure many have very happy memories of their cruises on her..maybe in the future we will look back on her fondly as we do the Fairstar days.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. At last I found and booked a three day cruise that didn't clash with work commitments and better still, sailed in and out of my home port.

Didn't particularly want to go on the Pacific Sun, just wanted to get three days credit to reach Platinum with Princess. But then again, a cruise is a cruise so I'm sure I would have enjoyed it despite what others may say.

I have been offered a Pacific Pearl cruise out of Sydney and they will cover the air fares, but I can't get away at this time.

Back to scouring the schedules.

Stu

I know allot of people will be pleased to see that floating piece of scrap metal depart for good. It has been a black mark on P&O Australias fleet for years. It has turned first time cruisers off cruising, has broken down continually and has really damaged P&O Australia's reputation here in Newcastle. Newcastle is a small city and I know many people who were absolutely disgusted with the ship and how P&O treated them over several broken down cruises from this city.

I think P&O Australia has the potential to become more of a cruise line. They have accepted at least some better quality ships that used to run with Princess. The twins Pacific Jewel and Dawn (although seen better days) are still worthy of attracting passengers. Pacific Pearl also has come from Princess, given its stint with Ocean Village it has certainly been run in and had many passengers.

With a bit of luck P&O Australia will use this opportunity to expand and hopefully aquire a better ship than the rubbish Pacific Sun was.

Hmmm, I believe you said something similar on P&O's facebook page Tony. I'm not gonna turn this thread into another "Difference between American and Australian cruising" thread, but I enjoyed my time on Pacific Sun and a lot of other people did too. Sure, she had some mechanical dramas earlier this year (even brand new ships experience those) but a lot of people will remember their cruises on Pacific Sun with fondness.

Hi, while appreciating your opinions about Pacific Sun...which you haven't stept foot on...I can tell you that some of the ships you have been on have also suffered from problems.

Aurora ,just this last September 30/9/2011...was stuck in Portland Maine for a day or two with engine trouble...passengers received onboard credit for missing a port.

Azura this last July 20/7/2011, had many onboard problems...Broken lifts, some cabins had no water, while others were flooded, ships plumbing erratic.

there are probably others as well..so you see.it is not just the old Pacific Sun...who ,by the way.probably brought passengers who spent money in Newcastle. I know of quite a few who arrived 1-2 days before cruising, and stayed in accomodations there.

I quite enjoyed cruising on the Sun.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

That makes sense...there is plenty of life in the old girl yet.

Wonder what her detracters ,who are rubbishing her ,will say about todays ships in 20 years time.

I agree David ...let her go out with grace and dignity.....we are all getting older.

Col:)

Hi, while appreciating your opinions about Pacific Sun...which you haven't stept foot on...I can tell you that some of the ships you have been on have also suffered from problems.

Aurora ,just this last September 30/9/2011...was stuck in Portland Maine for a day or two with engine trouble...passengers received onboard credit for missing a port.

Azura this last July 20/7/2011, had many onboard problems...Broken lifts, some cabins had no water, while others were flooded, ships plumbing erratic.

there are probably others as well..so you see.it is not just the old Pacific Sun...who ,by the way.probably brought passengers who spent money in Newcastle. I know of quite a few who arrived 1-2 days before cruising, and stayed in accomodations there.

Aurora also complety missed a World Cruise one year. She could only get as far as the the Isle of Wight. Another year Aurora broke down on a World Cruise and was stranded in Auckland for 6 days.

Whenever I have been on a P&O UK ship, it seems to be full of whingers moaning about the state of the P&O ships.

Aurora also complety missed a World Cruise one year. She could only get as far as the the Isle of Wight. Another year Aurora broke down on a World Cruise and was stranded in Auckland for 6 days.

Whenever I have been on a P&O UK ship, it seems to be full of whingers moaning about the state of the P&O ships.

Aurora broke down on her maiden voyage. It was 16 hours in to her 14 day Mediterranean cruise.

We sailed on the Sun 4 times & have nothing but happy memories. Our most disappointing cruise to date has been on Pacific Jewel. Give me the Sun over her any day!

Until the Pearl arrived the P&O fleet was stable at 3 ships & if the Sun isn't replaced they will continue with 3 ships. With the Sea Princess due to be permanent in Aust from the 2012-2013 season as well as Dawn P & Sun P, & also the Carnival Spirit I think Carnival as the mother company probably thinks they have the market covered without immediately adding another new ship as well.

I remember hearing about Aurora's world cruise where they only called at seven ports (and spent six days in Auckland). There was virtually a mutiny by the passengers.

I would happily go on the Pacific Sun once more before she leaves Australia for good. I bet the farewell cruise will be quite a party!! :):)

Tell us how you really feel!!!! Not that I disagree with you. We have been on the Sun twice. The 2nd time it broke down out at sea. Not much fun. P&O Australia needs to pick their act up to compete with the other cruise lines and this is a good start.

I think the ship is an absolute disgrace and an embarrasment to the nation. P&O screwed Newcastle over with this scrap heap. Its departure only makes P&O look better to sail with once it goes.
Screwed Newcastle over...? Please, I lived in Newcastle and sailed from Newcastle aboard Pacific Sun. We had no problems and enjoyed the cruise immensely. You're such a drama queen! :rolleyes:

..there is plenty of life in the old girl yet.

There sure is David.......

I rate her well above the Pacific Dawn... she's not the prettiest girl on the water but she sure is one of the friendliest ships we have ever cruised on......we have enjoyed 2 cruises on her and who knows may even fit a 3rd one in before she goes....cheers Shiona

Archived