Bye bye Pacific Sun

icat2000

Ah, but have you done the Aussified Carnival?

Just wait till that is up and running.

P&O Australia in a Carnival ship...:D

It will Rock there little socks off...

but hang on...

isn't that what we have now?:eek:

I'll still give them a whirl but man the prices they are charging are ridiculous :eek: so I won't be cruising on her anytime soon.

One thing P&O do well are their shows. I have been on a few Royal Caribbean ships, Princess and Carnival and for me P&O have the best shows and have more daily activities organised.

I do like the idea of the new waterslide and a few other things but I am happy to wait to try it out and continue to cruise P&O (it's like returning to your favouritre caravan/camping spot if you know what I mean ;)).

I am happy to wait to try it out and continue to cruise P&O (it's like returning to your favouritre caravan/camping spot if you know what I mean ;)).
Not literally like a caravan or camping spot. But P&O are familiar and comfortable! :)

WOW!! KandBthe cruisers, glad I wasn't onboard with you. We left Auckland on the Sun, 2010, on ONE engine and sailed all round the Pacific, even getting onto Norfolk Island. AND, THEN, a cyclone caught us up on the way back from Noumea. How that ship rolled around the ocean, but after the first frightening 5 mins,:( I enjoyed that ride and I wasn't even of the drinking brigade.:D The crew, food, entertainment etc were perfect. Sure, she's not a 5 star in the decor department, but so what.

We have booked on her last cruise - would not miss it for the world. We love the Sun, it does not feel like the floating crematorium that the Dawn feels like inside.

good on you and have a great cruise. and do not forget to buy a model ship it be worth some thing later on.

• 5 months later...

Pacific Sun is the most densely packed ship visiting Oz. Consider she carries up to 1896 pax in 47262grt. Compare with Voelndam 1850 in 61396grt, Pacific Dawn 2020 in 70285grt and Radiance 2500 in 90090grt. Her Passenger Space Ration of 24.9 is the lowest, even lower than the 2 star Athena. P & O can only call her "Australias favourite ship" because she's been around longer than anyone else and has therefore carried more pax than anyone else. Its marketing spin doctoring. She was fine when Carnival launched her but that was 26 years ago and times and expectations have changed. I might be biased because my first sailing on her was back in the bad old days when gangs of yobs drank and debauched at will whilst P & O staff just stood and watched. It almost stopped me cruising permanently. I have sailed on her since but stuck to short weekenders. I'm afraid she just reminds me of an era when this was about the best Australia ever got and cruising was considered the holiday of choice for pensioners and footy group. If you want a smaller ship experience at a fair price on a quality vessel go for the Volendam or one of her three sisters. These are class vessels.

If you want a smaller ship experience at a fair price on a quality vessel go for the Volendam or one of her three sisters. These are class vessels.

And so they should be for the prices they charge.:eek:

Pacific Sun

Affectionately known as 'Australia's favourite cruise ship', Pacific Sun will depart on her last cruise from Brisbane on 1 July. It's incredible to think that she has carried an estimated 586,840 passengers on 332 cruises since she joined the fleet in 2004

psun-1_jpg.jpg

The Final Run

01-Jul-2012 South Pacific & New Zealand 7 Nights Pacific Sun, Week Fantastique ex Brisbane Return

Pacific Sun

Affectionately known as 'Australia's favourite cruise ship', Pacific Sun will depart on her last cruise from Brisbane on 1 July. It's incredible to think that she has carried an estimated 586,840 passengers on 332 cruises since she joined the fleet in 2004

psun-1_jpg.jpg

The Final Run

01-Jul-2012 South Pacific & New Zealand 7 Nights Pacific Sun, Week Fantastique ex Brisbane Return

I'm on it. Officially on holidays at 9pm tomorrow night, and off to Brisbane on Thursday.

Can't wait - we've only been on the Sun once, but it was our first Cruise. As we had nothing to compare it to, the Pacific Sun was paradise for 10 days. We had far more fun on the Sun than on the Pearl - the entertainment was better, the food was better, the Cruise Director was way better. Five Deck Parties on a ten night cruise, versus everything in the Dome.

I'll be sad to see the Sun go. The Fiji Adventure itinerary would be awesome if it was on the Sun - there was just not enough to do on the Pearl, especially on sea days.

Sure she is starting to show her age in places, her lifts are a bit squeesy, but for me she wins hands down over the Dawn.

So much more open deck space, the seating is better in the Buffet, people sit together more and mingle.

I did like the Atrium on the Dawn, but would much rather have the outdoor decks that are so good to walk around and around.

Only 5 nights to go and we too will be sailing away on her, just hope the weather improves a bit.

P&O have sufficient capacity here. Their prices have been cheaper than the US market so they needed to reduce their capacity here.

I agree.With the arrival of the Carnival Spirit to boost capacity,should sales not live up to expectations,it would be a lot easier to redeploy the Spirit somewhere than to get rid of a P&O liveried ship.

I sailed on Pacific Sun last week to North Qld. Perfect weather all week. Staff were fantastic. I enjoyed the Sun more than Pacific Dawn last year.

Buffet was better laid out with more seats. Because we booked this as last minute special we were on Deck 4 and our room vibrated a lot which was only concern. Considering we had a twin cabin for $100 each who can complain.

Good luck to all the staff and thank you for a great week

I sailed on Pacific Sun last week to North Qld. Perfect weather all week. Staff were fantastic. I enjoyed the Sun more than Pacific Dawn last year.

Buffet was better laid out with more seats. Because we booked this as last minute special we were on Deck 4 and our room vibrated a lot which was only concern. Considering we had a twin cabin for $100 each who can complain.

Good luck to all the staff and thank you for a great week

Wow, you scored a great deal, well done!

Sorry mean $100 per person per night = $1400 for 7 night twin

Lol . I had seen some recent last minute deals on the Sun quad share for $199 and would loved to have taken them up if she had been sailing from Sydney.

I don't think you can class Spirit as a replacement for Pacific Sun. Sure they're both owned by Carnival but so is Holland America and Cunard and even Costa. They're run independent of each other and in competition with each other. But I do think P & O will need a replcement ship in the near future. My magical glass ball foresees one of the three local Princesses (Sun, Dawn & Sea) being transferred to the P & O fleet with Diamond (or possibly Sapphire) Princess moving from the Princess US fleet into its aussie fleet.

Archived