Bye bye Pacific Sun

icat2000

I don't think you can class Spirit as a replacement for Pacific Sun. Sure they're both owned by Carnival but so is Holland America and Cunard and even Costa. They're run independent of each other and in competition with each other. But I do think P & O will need a replcement ship in the near future. My magical glass ball foresees one of the three local Princesses (Sun, Dawn & Sea) being transferred to the P & O fleet with Diamond (or possibly Sapphire) Princess moving from the Princess US fleet into its aussie fleet.
I would love this! I also believe one of the Princess ships moving over to P&O is the most likely option if they were to add another ship to the fleet...

I would love this! I also believe one of the Princess ships moving over to P&O is the most likely option if they were to add another ship to the fleet...

You have that at the moment...Dawn and Jewel were both Princess ships and when Princess had finished with them they were shipped off to Carnival Australia,(AKA P&O Australia.)

If the real P&O had any interest left in Australia they would be including their ships in the 175th year celebrations that will take in Southampton next week.

P&O want their branch of the cruise industry to be known as British, and as such dont want anything to do with Australia, except for using Carnival staff to service their ships as they pass through on a World Cruise.

... If the real P&O had any interest left in Australia they would be including their ships in the 175th year celebrations that will take in Southampton next week.

P&O want their branch of the cruise industry to be known as British, and as such dont want anything to do with Australia, except for using Carnival staff to service their ships as they pass through on a World Cruise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't isn't P&O UK and P&O Australia two separate companies? Sure they are under the "umbrella" of Carnival, but still two separate companies and the Australian arm is not 175 yo ... just the UK arm.

As for the Pacific Sun, sure she's not as pretty as some of the newer ships and she doesn't have a promenade or a good sized walking track, but as far as I'm concerned, the customer service was second to none and I never had a problem with any of the food on board. I can't say that about some of the newer "sisters", but my O/H and I will miss her.

My magical glass ball foresees one of the three local Princesses (Sun, Dawn & Sea) being transferred to the P & O fleet with Diamond (or possibly Sapphire) Princess moving from the Princess US fleet into its aussie fleet.

I don't think one of the Princess Australia ships (Sun, Dawn, Sea) will go to P&O Australia, I think Princess Australia will loss a ship (maybe the Sun Princess) to the Asia market (Depending on how well she does up there).

The reason why I say the Sun Princess could be leaving our shores, is because she is doing a run from Asia next year.

I don't think one of the Princess Australia ships (Sun, Dawn, Sea) will go to P&O Australia, I think Princess Australia will loss a ship (maybe the Sun Princess) to the Asia market (Depending on how well she does up there).

The reason why I say the Sun Princess could be leaving our shores, is because she is doing a run from Asia next year.

I agree with the above. It's a competitive market locally, and Asia and China in particular are seen as the key growth areas in the US for cruising, so if the opportunity is there, I'd expect Princess will take it.

• 1 year later...

The ship is on her way again.

Apparently the dispute was between 2 Chinese Companies.

I did not realise , but according to this article , Star Cruises operates the ship for the Chineses Travel Company that owns/leases the sship.

Henna is a Holiday-class cruise ship operated by Star Cruises for the Chinese company HNA Tourism Cruises and Yacht Management around the Korean peninsula.

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/Chinese-Cruise-Ship-Arrested-in-South-Korea-2300-People-Onboard-2013-09-16/

Archived