Where did the Oasis electrician get his college degree? *and review*

Yo Eleven

I do not think my electrician at home has a college degree. Not that I'd ask, because I wouldn't care if he did. Any way, your beef seems to be with the designers not the on board electricians...Glad That is your biggest beef and I am glad you had a great cruise.

I´m not sure why you are blaming the electrician. He´s only working after the plans of the designer. So blame the cabin designer!!

It´s a problem which occured on the very first day the Oasis came out. On the Allure they didn´t change the cabin design but put a socket on the vanity table with a cord plugged into the original outlets. It´s been said that this will be done on the Oasis too but obviously they haven´t done it yet.

steamboats

Very well. Looks like the designer didn't go to college either.

Ummm ... not necessarily true. I know of two EE's (Electrical Engineers) that can't even change a light bulb. :rolleyes::D

Well I can say the CORN DOG baker at the Boardwalk is smarter than both the electrician and the designer!!!!!

Not ALL electricians are dumb. Just the ones on the Oasis that made the installation. I thought about it and if I were the electrician I would have said, "Hey, this is stupid, I refuse to install this and put misery in 6000 plus passengers and crew. I am gonna eat a corn dog instead."

Obviously the principles felt the design was STUPID and changed it on the Allure. I just hope the corn dogs are good there as well. :p

Well I can say the CORN DOG baker at the Boardwalk is smarter than both the electrician and the designer!!!!!

Not ALL electricians are dumb. Just the ones on the Oasis that made the installation. I thought about it and if I were the electrician I would have said, "Hey, this is stupid, I refuse to install this and put misery in 6000 plus passengers and crew. I am gonna eat a corn dog instead."

Obviously the principles felt the design was STUPID and changed it on the Allure. I just hope the corn dogs are good there as well. :p

They didn't change the design on the Allure, the outlets are still in the same place, they just added an extension cord and plugged it in, The cabins are premade, off site, so the Allure cabins were more than likely already manufactured when the Oasis sailed her innaugural and people made comment about the outlet placement

Of course if you refused to work, you might have been fired and might then have trouble buying more corn dogs, let alone cruises:D. I am not sure the guy who did his job as asked was "stupid.". Of course the location of the outlets is suboptimal, and maybe there was some obscure construction or code reason for the odd placement. Really I did not have much trouble finding the outlets, certainly not enough to rant. Next time just bring a power strip.

FWIW, I like our electrician. Far from stupid, but it seems unlikely he has a college degree. He knows his trade, does his job well, and does not need a degree. If ever he installs outlets in odd locations per the owner's design (vs refusing with a corn dog in his mouth), I shall not call him stupid.

Of course if you refused to work, you might have been fired and might then have trouble buying more corn dogs, let alone cruises:D. I am not sure the guy who did his job as asked was "stupid.". Of course the location of the outlets is suboptimal, and maybe there was some obscure construction or code reason for the odd placement. Really I did not have much trouble finding the outlets, certainly not enough to rant. Next time just bring a power strip.

FWIW, I like our electrician. Far from stupid, but it seems unlikely he has a college degree. He knows his trade, does his job well, and does not need a degree. If ever he installs outlets in odd locations per the owner's design (vs refusing with a corn dog in his mouth), I shall not call him stupid.

He actually is quite smart. There is not a lot of sense in spending thousands of dollars and multiple years of one's life getting a college degree that is completely unnecessary to carry out your trade well.

I have to add this thought:

My initial reaction was also: no problem, I'll just take a power strip.

But now they are banning power strips and confiscating them!!!! :eek:

He actually is quite smart. There is not a lot of sense in spending thousands of dollars and multiple years of one's life getting a college degree that is completely unnecessary to carry out your trade well.

Exactly. Then again if wants to earn a good honest living as an electrician, but also spend time and money to study in some field he passionately enjoys (be it Russian fiction or astrophysics or EE or whatever), more power to him. Same goes if he spends his off hours watching sports and napping on his couch.

Marion Mom, I am sorry to hear they are confiscating power strips. I suppose if somebody brought a faulty one, the whole ship could be at risk.

We mentioned this plug problem to an officer we were chatting with one day, he went and got us a power strip!!!

So, maybe if everyone that needs one, asks for one, since they can't bring their own........ they will do something sooner to make it easier for those that can't get down there to the plug.

I can see how it could be dangerous to use your own, maybe they could be faulty, sure don't want a fire.:eek:

Electricians do not need college degrees since they are technicians. They get their training from trade schools. Either they are licensed in most states or they work under someone who is licensed. Engineers are college educated and can be licensed by the state.

The ships are designed by people trained in that area. Electricians do not design ships.

The OP's rant is uncalled for in blaming electricians for the layout of the stateroom.

An incensed electrical engineer who has a lot of electrician friends

They didn't change the design on the Allure, the outlets are still in the same place, they just added an extension cord and plugged it in, The cabins are premade, off site, so the Allure cabins were more than likely already manufactured when the Oasis sailed her innaugural and people made comment about the outlet placement

anf they haven't done this on the oasis because?????

Electricians do not need college degrees since they are technicians. They get their training from trade schools. Either they are licensed in most states or they work under someone who is licensed. Engineers are college educated and can be licensed by the state.

The ships are designed by people trained in that area. Electricians do not design ships.

The OP's rant is uncalled for in blaming electricians for the layout of the stateroom.

An incensed electrical engineer who has a lot of electrician friends

please don't rat me out and show your electrician friends this thread. Now I am scared.

I want to know what electrical appliance they thought would be needed so close to one's lap that they placed the outlets there. I'm just saying.

What appliance?! The possibilities are more than you can shake a stick at. I'm just saying.

With the desk right there I don't think people would actually set their laptop on their laptop. Actually, I've never seen anyone work on their laptop on their laptop. My laptop isn't steady enough to support my laptop.

I'm sitting on the couch in my den with my laptop on my lap.

Actually it's architects and interior designers who decide where things go.

What's the big deal? :rolleyes: I haven't taken anything on a cruise yet that I had to plug in. You guys just need to wean yourselves off all the electronic gizmos and enjoy your vacation the old fashion way, gadgetless, without wires hanging out everywhere.

What's the big deal? :rolleyes: I haven't taken anything on a cruise yet that I had to plug in. You guys just need to wean yourselves off all the electronic gizmos and enjoy your vacation the old fashion way, gadgetless, without wires hanging out everywhere.

I enjoy relaxing and reading on vacation; that should be old fashioned enough. Rather than carting loads of books for DH and I, we have switched mostly to e books. So, my iPad and charger always come along.

BTW, my iPad is in my lap.

Either you take no pictures or your camera does not use a rechargeable power pack.

What's the big deal? A rather strange question.

Wean ourselves off the electronic gizmos? Some of us have evolved from the stone age you know? :p

It is nice to bring a smartphone to a full charge when you will be taking lots of pics and recording video. It eats up a lot of battery charge and a power source is needed to charge it up.

Good seeing you again in the forum, Flintstone. :p

I am sorry but I am amazed that you guys are complaining about where the outlets are. Be grateful that you can afford a great vacation and stop blaming electricians or engineers for inconveniencing you. Find the plug, plug your stuff in, problem solved.....

Oh and by the way, my dh is an EE, and a master electrician in facilities maintainance, and my dd is a ME. I am proud of both of them. Neither one designs things to be difficult. So lighten up and enjoy your vacations, I know a lot of people engineers included who can't afford a day off let alone a full week at sea.....

That is all I have to say...

Archived