How often do you have to fly to take your cruise?

Iluvcruising2

We have always flown to all of the cruises. Being from near Detroit, there are no other options. They are starting riverboat cruises but that isn't my cup of tea! We mostly fly to Florida but have left out of New Orleans, San Juan, and LA when RCCL left from there.

Steve

Living in Wisconsin we are not near any cruise port. We have to fly for every cruise. That is why we cruise at least 14 days for each cruise. We just did a B2B2B to make the flying worth while. After dealing with the airlines many times I said never again, but after being home a few weeks I say we still need to cruise.

Jan

We do only European cruises since we have family living in England and Italy. Plus we live in the landlocked Midwest, so yes, we always have to fly to reach our ship. Thank goodness for Frequent Flier Miles or we'd be sunk!

We can drive to take an Alaska cruise but we have done that twice already. Sure not warm like the Caribbean.

Or a relocation....just did a rare relocation to Hawaii from Vancouver........

Otherwise we fly to a port. We don't do any 7 day cruises unless it is B2B to make the cost in Canada to fly, worth while.

Living on the West Coast, we always have to fly. What we do if we are flying to Europe, is to combine 2 trips.

Last year we did a 14 day river cruise,2 days in Amsterdam, and a Baltic cruise.

This year we did a cruise from Rome to Southampton, spent 6 days in Cornwall, and 5 days in London

Next year we are doing a Burgundy river cruise, and spending 6 days in Switzerland before the cruise.

Not any more:) DW has logged almost a million air miles in her career, and I have about 750K. We moved to Florida so we wouldn't have to fly anywhere to get where we wanted to go. We now live with five cruise ports within a 3 hour drive, and a train station only 10 miles from the house. Flying is done for us:D

We have to fly unless we sail out of Port Canaveral, so we have to fly more than half of the time. I would rather sail out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami because I enjoy South Florida, but we value the Freedom and Monarch because they are a fairly easy drive!

How interesting. So flying to cruise is much more common than I thought.

Thanks for the sharing.

Looks like wife and I have done it all, as far as transport to cruise is concerned.

1) we flew from Singapore to LA to cruise on the Monarch

2) we drove from LA to San Diego for the Oosterdam. That time we were residing in LA. Parked our car for a week near the cruise terminal.

3) we took a cab to the cruise terminal in Singapore to board the Legend. Then we flew back from Shanghai. (residing in Singapore)

Unless folks live in Florida or somewhere within a reasonable driving distance to a port, most people who want to take a cruise will have to fly to the nearest port. Many of us are more fortunate than you given where you are located, but as you have seen, flying to a cruiseport is far more common than you might have imagined.

We "fly over in a taxi" that takes about 10 minutes to get to Port Canaveral from

our house when we cruise on Monarch and Freedom. ;)

However, that cruise we are on next year out of San Juan would need

water wings on that taxi.

Glubb...glub... :eek: ;)

You're wrong. Have you ever looked at a map? There are only so many ports, and most of the world's population is not near a particular cruise port. We have never been able to drive to a cruise. Some people are fortunate enough to be able to drive but based on the crowds heading for the airport after a cruise, I'm not convinced "most of the cruisers are able to drive".

Drives me crazy when people post "you're wrong". Geez, how about "I don't agree" instead? The fact is a large chunk of the US population lives on the east coast where most cruise ports are, so I don't agree with you. While people from all over the country cruise, there are more people living within driving distance than you think. Every cruise we've been on more than 1/2 of the cruisers live within a couple of hours of the port and a great deal of them live on the east coast. The rest are spread out across the country/world. The vast majority of cruisers we meet are from NJ, VA, NC, FL, PA, MD, NY.

Able to drive vs do (or want to) drive are two different things. There are people who fly easily driveable distances all the time. For quite a few, it's a choice.

We have driven to 4 cruises all of them out of New Jersey...The rest we fly...I just got back from the Liberty Monday and we are leaving again for a B2B on the Allure a week from this Monday...We only fly first class, so I really don't mind flying at all....Merry Christmas and Happy Sailings!!!!

Drives me crazy when people post "you're wrong". Geez, how about "I don't agree" instead? The fact is a large chunk of the US population lives on the east coast where most cruise ports are, so I don't agree with you.

You can choose to agree with whom wish. That being said perhaps you should look at a map as well. See those places that don't have Congressmen? That's the rest of the world. Notice how I was speaking globally and you assumed US? No, don't thank me, Wile E Coyote and I are the only true super geniuses left, it's what I do.

You can choose to agree with whom wish. That being said perhaps you should look at a map as well. See those places that don't have Congressmen? That's the rest of the world. Notice how I was speaking globally and you assumed US? No, don't thank me, Wile E Coyote and I are the only true super geniuses left, it's what I do.

Um, this thread really has nothing to do with global cruising, but the fact is most of the rest of the world who do cruise, cruise out of Europe or Asia as they also have cruiselines. That is not the point of this thread. This is a thread on the RCI page.

Archived