Hi everyone!!

Danno

I have been absent for a while now...and with no cruise booked I find myself in a state of cruise limbo...I am still lurking around though.

Jill and I am considering a land based vacation for a change next year...cruising will always be our first love but a change is in order, we think.

I must admit I'm a bit discouraged by some of the changes in X over the past few years...but I think these are industry changes and not unique to X. I am realizing that I am no longer a client that this line really wants...

Odd the way this line thinks...do ANYTHING possible to woo a new customer while doing little to secure the long term clientel. I felt special to this line when I had 7 cruises...I feel like a newcomer after 11.

So I think we'll try Grenada next year...somehow I hope it's a mistake and we return to cruising while vowing never to leave agian...we'll see.

Strange...what I regret the most about this decision is I feel like I'm betraying my friends here...I guess you can always buy a vacation, but CC friends you earn.

I will continue to lurk...:(

We too feel the need for a land based vacation again. Usually we do two cruises, then take a year of land destinations to assure us that cruising is a very good deal. Hawaii is calling as I key this. I'm sure we will be spending several weeks there in the next year.

I can understand your feelings about X. While we do have our next cruise - Xpedition in Galapagos scheduled for Dec 2005, our Feb 2004 Mercury cruise was nice but not quite the same as our Infinity Panama Canal cruise in 2003. Some things on X seemed to have slipped/changed, but we feel the overall experience was adequate. We are longtime cruisers (16 in 20 years) we have found that as with most things, the cruising experience has evloved greatly over the years.

We anticipate a wonderful Xpedition Galapagos cruise, which will be very different from the usual X cruise. With a very unusual itinerary and very small group, it will be a once in a lifetime for us.

Hi Danno......

Dear friends' son was in Med. School in Grenada.......I would rethink that one...JMHO and his! I agree about land based vacations. We used to do 2 cruises a yr.......we are down to one and 2 land based vacations. Think about MX and the Maya Riviera....just had a friend and his family that went there and LOVED it...and they are very selective. Food for thought.

D

Danno, I have been reading your posts with great interest since I joined this web site. You have always had interesting, provocative things to say. It may be because I discovered the cruise vacation just recently, or because I have pretty much been everywhere on land I have wanted to go that I think the cruiseships and I will not soon part.

I may be mistaken here but I do feel you have not been very happy with the "changes" you have seen with Celebrity over the years. You write that you now longer feel special. I also think I am pretty much in tune with your feelings about Celebrity having read most of your posts over the past year or so.

There is no way to compare a cruise with a land based vacation. I do wonder if you will find whatever it is that you feel is now lacking with Celebrity by going to some small island somewhere in the world.

Is it the changes you have seen in Celebrity or the cruise vacation in general that does not provide you with satisfaction these days? I can't imagine anything being as thrilling and/or relaxing at the same time as sitting and watching the wake of a ship or walking along the promenade deck while at sea. If you can find those things, whatever they may be to you on a land based vacation, so be it, have a great time. However, if you no longer enjoy the Celebrity experience because of their changes over your years of cruising, why not just try another line? Or as someone mentioned the Xpedition?

Whatever you decide I hope you are happy and satisfied with that decision. As my grandmother used to say "Don't be a stranger." (add your own Yiddish/Russian accent)

Hi Dan:) good to see you.

I hope you and Jill find the vacation that makes you the happiest.

I agree with Cat~don't be a stranger. Cat, that accent would be the same one that says, "eat, eat" LOL whenever visiting Gramma's house LOL

Dan, I booked Horizon to Bermuda:D I have tried to sail her twice and had to cancel both times. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm! I am going in Sept, sailing from Philadelphia. I will make a toast to you from America's Cup;)

I so want to sail this ship before she leaves the fleet!

My husbnad and I are long term cruisers. We have over 30 cruises done in the last 20 years. The cruise experience has evolved,but the thing that continues to annoy me, is not the lack of extras on board or even the service or food. What really puts a thorn in my side is the way Celebrity/RCCL treats its loyal cruisers. As I have stated in past postings, relating to my experience of course, is that they are after a new market and feel that they already have past sailors"hooked". Danno, I agree with you wholeheartedly! My vacations are not soley water based, but I do love cruising. The desicions that X is making in regard to pricing and other issues will affect my choices on how to spend my vacation dollars. I like to feel that I am able to get the best deal out there...when that is atken away from me, I will NOT choose to be held a captive audience by a cruise line or nay company. There are other options out there, and sadly, perhaps we will all have to look into them. Have a wonderful time in Greneda, and maybe you will cruise again in the future,albeit perhaps with another comapny that will respect you and your dollar more!

Mrs. 'mare and I have been fortunate enough to do 2 vacations/year for the past 4-5 years, 1 cruise, and 1 land vacation.

Usually our land vacations are mostly about relaxation -- beaches, baseball, dining, etc, and our cruises are active -- Alaska, Panama Canal, Northern Europe, but this year it's the other way around.

We just got back from our 2005 land vacation, 10 days in Arizona and Utah, touring 3 National Parks (Grand, Zion, and Bryce Canyons), 1 National Monument (Grand Staircase/Escalante), and numerous other incredible sites. It took alot more planning (and alot more driving) than a cruise did, but amazed us as to how beautiful our country is.

We had an amazing cruise on the Connie last summer, the British Isles, Northern Europe and Norway itinerary, and I thought I'd never see anything as spectacular as the Norweigian fjords and the coast of Northern Ireland including the Giant's Causeway, but I was overwhelmed by what we have here in our own country.

We'll be on Princess this fall, doing New England and Canada, which we expect to be the more relaxing vacation, since we've been to most of those places, but we'll certainly be looking more closely at land based vacations in the future to see things we've never seen before and can't see on a cruise.

Danno, Sometimes change is in order. I really hope you enjoy your vacation. You know the old expression...familiarity breeds contempt....Maybe its just a matter of being bored but I agree that more time is spent wooing new customers instead of trying to keep the old. I'm just not sure this is a cruiseline only phenomena. We have vacationed at the same resort every summer for the past 23 years. We will not be returning this year. While we don't expect anything special, at the very least a welcome back would be nice! in the early days at least the manager made some effort to remember our name now its the same manager but not even a hello. He's just always so busy.We spend way more for a week there than we have ever spent on a cruise and believe me we have never even received a bottle of wine with dinner. The resort is always full so I guess they figure they don't really need us ...Sadly, I really believe that customer service has become a thing of the past.

that being said I also think that the more time I spend doing something the more critical I become. We have been very happy with celebrity but will probably try a different cruiseline next. maybe it is the "grass is always greener" syndrome. but I just want to make sure i am not missing something better!:)

Danno

Spent a day in Grenada in February while aboard the Constellation.

One day was quite enough. Besides the spice plantation there are few, if any, tourist attractions. The beach ok -- is not really nice. In fact they don't even have a major hotel on the island. People were not very welcoming.

While I can understand the need for a change, Grenada is the last place I would consider spending a week in -- six hours was more than enough.

Just my opinion.

Last year we went to an all inclusive luxury resort in Mexico. The resort, Iberostar Paraiso Lindo gets rave reviews. The grounds are extensive and absolutely breathtaking. They boast 2 gigantic pools with swim-up bars (there the most beautiful pools that I have ever seen), a lazy river and a spectacular wave pool, jacuzzis and beautiful beach. We had the choice of 12 specialty restaurants, 24-hour room service and 14 service bars. In addition, shops, theater, kids club, billiard/games room, etc., etc., etc. Our room was very spacious with a very large shower and a lovely balcony with tables and chairs. Oh and I forgot to mention all alcohol drinks were included and they did have some pretty good brand names to chose from.

Just a wonderful place will I do it again, no thanks I am back to cruising. There is nothing like watching the wake of the ship as it speeds to the next port. I have one booked already, an October transatlantic cruise on the Century. Plus, within a week or so we plan on booking MSC Opera to give that new line a try.

I guess I still like cruising even taking into consideration all the changes that I don't care for.

Hi Danno! :)

I wish you and your wife a great land vacation!

I agree with seagulls about A/I.. Absolutely loved our two vacations in Iberostars (Punta Cana and Hacienda Dominicus) in Dominican Republic but wouldn't do it again. Food was wonderful (although with all my dieting and exercise food is my last priority right now;) ), grounds and beach gorgeous...but it is getting boring to be in 1 place for 7 days. I prefer visiting different places every day or other day.

Hi Danno -- just curious -- how did you come to pick Grenada??? and why? I hope you will keep checking in here -- I've always read your posts with interest.

Lucy

I'm not really sure...It's just one of those things that gets lodged in my mind and must be attended to...I think one of the actractions might be the lack of tourist things to do, and hopefully the lack of crowds. The cruise ports are becoming so over-run with people that I want to experience quiet areas again.

Hi Danno! :)

I wish you and your wife a great land vacation!

I agree with seagulls about A/I.. Absolutely loved our two vacations in Iberostars (Punta Cana and Hacienda Dominicus) in Dominican Republic but wouldn't do it again. Food was wonderful (although with all my dieting and exercise food is my last priority right now;) ), grounds and beach gorgeous...but it is getting boring to be in 1 place for 7 days. I prefer visiting different places every day or other day.

Only a few days left till you on the sea again...

Enjoy.

when husband can take off besides our 2 weeks sailing Summit doing transcanal 11/20. Inside cabins for Bermuda - NO WAY!

So guess we will hit Vegas in June meeting a friend from the UK & an ex-LAPD officer & my jeweler/dealer who makes me presents.

Danno:

We spent a week on Grenada quite a few years ago -- must be 15 at least. Stayed at hotel called 12 Degrees North (guess its lattitude!). Wasn't sure it was still in existence till I just checked Trip Advisor and found reviews dated last month. It's a series of cottages, most with 2 bedroms, living room, kitchen. Forget if there were 1 or baths. It was incredibly cheap, especially if sharing with another couple. Cottages sit on a hill just a few dozen yards from the pool, bar, and beach. At the time beach was not great because of lots of sea plants, which covered the sea bottom out for a way. But you could walk out on the dock and swim from there. Lots of fish to be seen right on the end of the dock. From Trip Advisor I understand dock was destroyed by Ivan but is being rebuilt. All other damage to cottages has been repaired. Room rate includes the services of a maid who arrives every morning, makes breakfast, cleans, does your laundry (only need a couple of things to wear because she washes every day). She will cook other meals if you provide groceries. (See recent Trip Advisor review for advice on where to shop.) There are some restaurants in walking distance. Others require a car. Rent one for the week, and you can also explore the island. Do your won research on current situation regarding hospitality of islanders and condition of beaches and spice plantations after hurricanes.

Enjoy,

Steve

Danno,

I don't know how committed you are to a land vacation and Grenada and I know this IS an X board and all. But awhile back you mentioned an interest in Oceania. I leave on my first Oceania cruise in a little less than 2 weeks so I can't speak for them just yet. But next winter they have a terrific deal. 12 days eastern Carib from Miami, from $1699 per person air inclusive AND includes air from CANADA! (I really like my agent if you are interested btw)

You can see the itinerary on the Oceania site. Best wishes from Nancy :)

Danno:

Forgot to mention: doubt 12 deg No. has a website. At least in the past, they did not even deal with TAs. You'd have to contact them by phone or mail. At the time, owner was Joseph Gaylord, a NYC ex-pat.

Danno, whenever I need a quiet vacation we go to Kauii. Stay at the Princeville hotel. It is quiet and very elegant. Great service and wonderful beach. The whole island is beautiful. I don't think you can go wrong. It is a long flight but stay 10 to 14 days and it will be worth every penny you spend. Pat

Archived