HAL- Do you have a problem on Eurodam?

Loucat

I am concerned about the many posts that talk about constant vibrations of HAL ships, and in particular Eurodam. This was recently reported on other ships.

To HAL staff who read our messages, what is up? Do you have mechanical problems? If so,can you fix them like soon?

I do not want my first (and maybe only) HAL January cruise to be a life of 7 days in a Mixmaster.

Thank you and hope you are listening:rolleyes:

I have read the "many" posts (maybe 20 individual complainers?). If there are 2000+ people on each cruise and 1% post on Cruise Critic then over 8 cruises about 160 CC posters have cruised on the Eurodam. That means it is a very small sampling of passengers - so 12.5% of the CCers have complained about vibrations.

I went and read the recent reviews of the Eurodam Caribbean cruises. Not one talked about the vibration. I will be sailing on the Eurodam in February and am not letting this get into my head.

I believe you are over-reacting. Go on your cruise and enjoy!

I am concerned about the many posts that talk about constant vibrations of HAL ships, and in particular Eurodam. This was recently reported on other ships.

To HAL staff who read our messages, what is up? Do you have mechanical problems? If so,can you fix them like soon?

I do not want my first (and maybe only) HAL January cruise to be a life of 7 days in a Mixmaster.

I am not a seasoned cruiser nor used to boats. I have been on 3 cruises and the most recent one aboard the Eurodam for 10 days. Yes, there is a "bit" of vibration but you are on the ocean so have to expect some. Did it bother me-not in the least....as a matter of fact, I didn't even think about it at the time until you brought it up so it was certainly not obvious to me. We enjoyed it so much that we have now booked a 22 day cruise in 2013.

Why on earth would you ask if they have mechanical problems? It's a beautiful ship and our family had absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

Enjoy the cruise-if you do in fact find the vibrations bother you then cruising might not be your cup of tea. Hope you love it though because if you do it could become addictive!

We found the vibration to be an "odd" thing -- annoying on occasion, but generally something that we'd just make fun of. Yes, at sea one can expect some movement. These vibrations, however, occur even when the ship is securely moored in port. It did not detract much from our overall enjoyment of the cruise (can't say the same for dining, but that's very subjective).

I would cancel your cruise and book one on windjammer. Why take any chances, that a ship with thousands of moving parts could have some vibrations.

I have read the "many" posts (maybe 20 individual complainers?). If there are 2000+ people on each cruise and 1% post on Cruise Critic then over 8 cruises about 160 CC posters have cruised on the Eurodam. That means it is a very small sampling of passengers - so 12.5% of the CCers have complained about vibrations.

I went and read the recent reviews of the Eurodam Caribbean cruises. Not one talked about the vibration. I will be sailing on the Eurodam in February and am not letting this get into my head.

FYI - Observations are different than Complaints. Please don't label everyone who responds to a thread with their own observations and experiences as complainers.

I actually haven't read all the complaint threads that are purported to be floating around on this topic...however can only go by my own experiences on Eurodam as compared to other HAL ships and other lines' ships. I was on Eurodam in October, and did not notice any vibrations I'd consider unusual. My cabin did have some vibrations detectable, which I did not consider unusual since I was in an aft cabin, which usually feel more vibration than other cabins (same was true on Voyager of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas aft cabins). I felt no vibrations anywhere else in the ship, other than those caused by wave action - very little on calm days, and significant amounts when we were crashing through 35-45 foot seas in the north Atlantic. Again, nothing unusual compared to the Noordam or Zuiderdam, both of which I've been on recently, or any other recent ship. In fact, the only ship I've been on so far that experienced what I'd consider an 'unusual' amount of vibration was the Celebrity Summit, when during our cruise one of the azipods died and we had to make way on only one, which may have been a bit strained and running a bit higher than normal to account for the missing one. That you could occasionally feel in many lounges or rooms on the ship.

I think certain aft rooms might have more of a vibration. Never bothered me from sleeping but some people forget they are in the ocean and weather can be part of the factor. You don't need high seas; wind can bother a ship. I like the Windjammer suggestion. One would appreciate the Europdam after a voyage on that!:)

The main cause of concern in these posts is not the movement of the ship or rough seas, it is the VIBRATIONS occurring even while tied up in port!

If you are sitting in your car at a dead stop, it should be not jumping or vibrating unless you need a tune up or your engine mounts are gone.

Likewise if you are sitting in your stateroom on a ship docked in port, you should not feel strong vibrations. As a matter of fact you shouldn't feel any different than what you would feel if you were on land.

Now that it has become a topic, let's see what is posted by cruisers off the Eurodam over the next couple of voyages before we get too carried away.

Just off the Eurodam in November and yes there is a vibration. Been on numerous other HAL ships and this one had the most noticeable vibration. With the other ships sometimes you would forget you were actually on a moving vessel but with the Eurodam that slight vibration was always there. Felt like a drive shaft not running true. I suspect that HAL would like a smoother ride but have to accept what they got. I don't think anyone asking the Captain in a Q @ A session would get a "straight " answer regarding this issue. Pardon the pun.

I "think" the chatter about the "more than normal" vibrations are coming from folks who just recently have gotten off the Eurodam.... Dec 3rd was one date & Dec 24th another.... NOT way back in Oct. So, apparently this issue has just started. :(

Can't wait to hear from the folks getting off from this week's cruise.... maybe they will say they only felt "good" vibrations...... ;)

I'm goin' anyway..... the flight there will be worse for me anyhow! I hate flying! :eek:

I wasn't particularly bothered a couple of months ago by what vibration I felt...I was too busy enjoying all the rolling that was going on as a result of a tropical depression that formed in the Caribbean. I asked different officers if they would retract the stabilizers for a little while to truly enjoy the movement, but they all declined. I guess the broken china and such, not to mention the whiney people who would have been seasick, were the reasons why not.

True enough SRV Fan - but maybe by everyone who's been on the ship in the past 2-3 months posting their experience, it can be determined if indeed there is an UNusual vibration on the Eurodam currently or recently, and roughly when it may have begun, and possibly what might have started it. Or whether there actually is not an unusual vibration on the ship, and the slight vibration/harmonics has been present for months or even years and never received any notice as being out of the ordinary until one or two more sensitive cruisers or inexperienced cruisers brought it up, causing the issue to get inflated in the forums.

And also, to make sure the locations of the people feeling the vibrations are verified, so it can be determined if indeed the whole ship is feeling a vibration at all times, or if all those who reported the vibrations were in a particular area of the ship, such as aft, which on any and all ships is always much more prone to vibration from the props/pods (that would include aft cabins as well as the main dining room, which is also a place likely to feel the vibrations).

I know our 35-45 foot seas banged the ship around pretty good on our cruise - it sounded like several things were knocked loose in the crew-only areas, and the ship was riding hard due to the Gale Force 9 crosswinds hitting the ship at 2 o'clock off the bow, also driving the waves in diagonally to our intended direction of travel. We actually were 1/2 day behind schedule by the 2nd to last day as the captain had to jog back and forth a bit to avoid taking too much of a pounding to the starboard bow and yawing the ship with an aching bang every rise and fall - he made up much of it the last day when the seas finally calmed. It wouldn't have been too surprising if the ship caught a little damage from those two ugly days we had at sea - I've been on damaged ships before from foul weather.

FYI - Observations are different than Complaints. Please don't label everyone who responds to a thread with their own observations and experiences as complainers.

Indeed!

My earlier observation on another thread that the ship vibrated quite a bit did not in any way mean that it made me feel uncomfortable, nor was it intended as a complaint.

Some people get so fixated about the some of the smallest things...

:cool:

I am not a seasoned cruiser nor used to boats. I have been on 3 cruises and the most recent one aboard the Eurodam for 10 days. Yes, there is a "bit" of vibration but you are on the ocean so have to expect some. Did it bother me-not in the least....as a matter of fact, I didn't even think about it at the time until you brought it up so it was certainly not obvious to me. We enjoyed it so much that we have now booked a 22 day cruise in 2013.

Why on earth would you ask if they have mechanical problems? It's a beautiful ship and our family had absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

Enjoy the cruise-if you do in fact find the vibrations bother you then cruising might not be your cup of tea. Hope you love it though because if you do it could become addictive!

Having been on Eurodam at the same time as canadian bear, and for the 17 days preceding his cruise, I can say that we also had no problems at all with vibration.

Furthermore, even though we spent several days dodging hurricanes and riding some rough seas, I feel that Eurodam rode those rough seas better than any other cruise ship I have yet been on - I have previously cruised often enough to have status with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

I would cancel your cruise and book one on windjammer. Why take any chances, that a ship with thousands of moving parts could have some vibrations.

That's funny. I agree. Cancel immediately. Not worth the worry or disappointment. Life is too short.

Seriously, we had 7067 mid-ship last week and don't know what all the fuss is about.

My DH and I will board the Eurodam Saturday and I'll post when we return as to the vibration if it is a bother. I'm just hoping for smooth seas and lots of sun.

This is our 4th HAL cruise and our first one on the Eurodam.

Have a wonderful cruise. Yes, let us know how everything went and if you noticed a very obvious vibration. Bon voyage!

Thanks for the helpful advice. Try reading the Roll Call for Eurodam January 7th. In fact, my post was to HAL in general; not meant for flaming responses that are of no help in finding out why a ship has significant vibrations while in port.

As I said in the other post, we were on the 12/10 sailing and did not notice any vibration at all. No idea what others are complaining about on Eurodam.

Eurodam and its crew were fantastic.

Loucat- You should probably contact HAL directly if you want a response from them.

Thanks again for your useful information. As to cruising and my cup of tea, this will be our 28th cruise.

We were on the N.Amsterdam, a sister ship to the Eurodam, sailing 11/27. We experienced pretty bad vibrations in the rear of the ship. We had an aft cabin, & at times it was awful. We have had aft cabins before, but never experienced this. Were told it was caused by the propulsion engines on these two ships.

Archived