I'm getting bored of "usual" Caribbean ports ... need itinerary suggestions, please

Dogstar

Hi Fellow Cruisers!

I need your help, please. It's time to plan my family's 2013 "winter break" cruise, however, am getting bored of the usual Caribbean ports & itineraries. We have sailed with Carnival, NCL, Princess &, in a couple of months, with HAL, to numerous destinations in the Caribbean, Mexico, North American Pacific Coast, & the South Pacific.

By far our favourite "warm destination" cruise itinerary experienced thus far has been the South Pacific (for our 10 year anniversary celebration), however, limited time & funds restrict this from being a reasonable Spring Break-type vacation for us. Realistically, catching a cross-continent flight to Florida for a week+ Caribbean cruise better suits our current work/school schedule & vacation budget.

From memory, with Caribbean cruise itineraries we will have visited:

• Florida ~ Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Key West, Miami, Orlando
  • Bahamas ~ Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay (NCL), Half Moon Cay (HAL)
  • Western ~ BVI (Tortola, Virgin Gorda), Grand Cayman, Honduras (Roatan), Jamaica (Ocho Rios), Mexico (Cozumel, Costa Maya), San Juan, USVI (St. John, St. Thomas)
  • Southern ~ Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao

But the current selection of Caribbean itineraries appear to be, at least on the surface, getting monotonous. You know, "been there, done that", in much the same way as some cruise lines & ships can get. We've enjoyed most ships & ports we've sampled over the years, however, there are some exceptions that we have vowed to never visit again if we can avoid them (i.e. Carnival, Jamaica, USVI, Mexico) ... there's just too many more left to enjoy on our travel bucket list!

I'd really really like to visit Dominica, & would love to visit Tortola again. The challenge is Dominica is not frequented often on shorter itineraries, & Tortola comes at a price, St. Thomas. We prefer casual exotic-like beaches, not touristy shopping-focused ports.

So, any suggestions, please? All thoughts & input kindly considered & sincerely appreciated.

Cheers. Dogstar.

PS. Hawaii/South Pacific vs. Caribbean itineraries would be ideal if it were not for the higher overall cost & limited selection.

Looking at your past itineraries, I see a glaring omission: Barbados and nearby islands. Grenada is a favorite, so is St. Kitts.

The one problem -- if you allow it to become a problem -- in the Caribbean is the sameness of th experienes. Does the captain sail the ship overnight or just anchor it on ano other side of the same island every night? And how about all those local trinkets now made in China?

We have come to the conclusion that the Caribbean destinations out of Baltimore, which is our preferred reference point, are what they are. That doesn't mean that they may not be attractive. We do realize that as long as it's sunny and warm it makes little difference where we are. We go to beaches if it seems like a good idea. If not, we just stroll around and stay on the ship. Nothing wrong with that. No zip lines for us.

You have your cruise line preferences and so do I. Everyone sells a fine product. But I must say that one of Carnival's best features is the water slide. I, in my mid-60s, took 10 times the final sea day. For the young and old there is plenty to do on various lines.

Barbados and nearby islands. Grenada is a favorite, so is St. Kitts ... We do realize that as long as it's sunny and warm it makes little difference where we are. We go to beaches if it seems like a good idea. If not, we just stroll around and stay on the ship. Nothing wrong with that. No zip lines for us.

Agreed. I'll definitely take a closer look at those islands for consideration, thanks.

How about Australia?

Nope, as much as I'd like to sail in & around Austrailia's fine waters again, it is too far & too costly for our family's 1-week trip @ Spring Break. :(

We just did a cruise to Aruba and Curacao that was round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. We were on Princess, but HAL also has a similar itinerary. For us, the ship is the real destination. This itinerary gives you more time at sea, which is what we like. We did not enjoy our one southern Caribbean cruise that left from San Juan because it was in a port every day.

There are lots of cruises that go to different places, but they are not marketed to the North American population on a regular basis. Or, they cost more. Check out http://www.cruisetimetables.com. Cruises from Barbados often visit less frequented ports. Check out Thomson, or Windstar. Some even visit Cuba...possible for you as Canadians. EM

Try Brilliance of the Seas, going to

Castries, St Lucia

Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe

St Johns, Antigua

Another itinerary of the same ship going to ...

Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe

Bridgetown, Barbados

My wife and I went on a 14 day cruise from L.A to Hawaii had the time of are life! Altho you stated you have time restrants and it is a little spendy just something to think about for future refrence.Have a good day and take care.:)

These are great suggestions, thank you: Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, Grand Turks, Grenada, St. Kitts, St. Barts, St. Croix, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent,

Check out www.cruisetimetables.com ... Thomson, or Windstar. Some even visit Cuba.

Great link & suggestions, thank you.

Try Brilliance of the Seas, going to

Castries, St Lucia, Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe, St Johns, Antigua.

Another itinerary of the same ship going to Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Basseterre, St. Kitts, Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe, Bridgetown, Barbados

Awesome, thanks!

Archived