Can Someone Explain about Blu?

sail7seas

I read on another forum about guests in a smaller suite having a separate Dining Room to enjoy but those in more pricey suites including Owners/Penthouse are not permitted to dine there?

I don't understand this.

Why?

Celebrity started their Aqua Class cabin category with their Solstice Class ships. Those cabins were originally intended for those who might want a more healthy lifestyle on board the ship, with a menu in Blu that focused on food that was more health conscience (no heavy sauces, not a lot of fried foods and all that). Those in AQ are also have access to places in the spa/gym areas. It's also a category that ideally doesn't allow kids, because the AQ cabins are for two people, maximum, which would cause families to not book those cabins.

Personally, while I think it might have been a decent idea on paper, I don't think it's totally working out the way Celebrity intended. Many people are booking AQ and then asking if they can dine in the MDR.

Those in suites can gain access, on a space available basis, to Blu.

I read on another forum about guests in a smaller suite having a separate Dining Room to enjoy but those in more pricey suites including Owners/Penthouse are not permitted to dine there?

I don't understand this.

Why?

Blu is reserved for Aqua Class passengers--it fits with the theme of healthy lifestyle that X is selling with those cabins. The menus are healthier and lighter than the main dining room. Suite guests can request dinner in Blu from the Maitre D at least once per cruise.

Blu replaces the Main Dining Room for Aqua Class guests and is part of the cruise fare. Suite passengers who wish to eat in Blu may do so on a space available basis as others have said for a fee of $5.00 pp for dinner. Breakfast for suite passengers is free. Blu is only open for Breakfast and Dinner. Dining in Blu is anytime dining, go whenever you want..

They have their regular menus which are totally different from the MDR and they have three every night items. Blu has their own galley so the food is more cooked to order than in the MDR because there are a limited number of dinners.

We cruised twice in Aqua Class. We both love Blu. We, also, dine in the specialty restaurants. I asked once why don't we just stay in Blu. I won't make that mistake, again. Marriage lesson 1: don't question.

The foie gras and lobster bisque (not to mention bagettes) in Murano is wonderful. It's like a night-out to try the other venues. I'm drooling as I type...I'm told that I drool most of the time.

W

We were in a Celebrity Suite for a TA in May and ate in Blu at least 4 times. We were never charged $5. Loved Blu!

You got lucky; the policy is that suite guests are charged $5 per/person when they dine in Blu (dinner only; no charge for breakfast).

We cruised twice in Aqua Class. We both love Blu. We, also, dine in the specialty restaurants. I asked once why don't we just stay in Blu. I won't make that mistake, again. Marriage lesson 1: don't question.

The foie gras and lobster bisque (not to mention bagettes) in Murano is wonderful. It's like a night-out to try the other venues. I'm drooling as I type...I'm told that I drool most of the time.

W

Thanks Wally....I just drooled on my keyboard! That Fois Gras....it's a food group I tell ya! Miata Mike and I will definitely book to dine in Murano again! He doesn't ask me questions either....he just wants to know if I've booked yet!:D

You got lucky; the policy is that suite guests are charged $5 per/person when they dine in Blu (dinner only; no charge for breakfast).

I read that is the official policy, but I spoke with some suite guests who I met in Aqua, and they confirmed that they in fact were not charged the $5.00 fee....

I don't understand this.

Why?

This is indeed an interesting subject. As others have explained, they may be admitted to Blu on a space-available basis, but if the restaurant is full by the assigned Aqua class passengers, may not be. Although there usually is space available, due to Aqua passengers dining elsewhere occasionally.

The newest ships will have some Aqua class full suites that will be assigned to Blu.

I would think that those paying for the top accommodations on the ship should also be entitled to dine in a better restaurant than the main dining room. Whether it be complimentary use of any specialty restaurant, or a separate restaurant for suite guests such as Cunard has, or NCL on their newbuilds.

I don't understand this.

Why?

It's just a wonderful dinner experience, a very small intimate dining room with almost all the tables being for two. Your food is cooked to order, there is none of the noise or distraction that you find in the MDR. I've always found the MDR experience to be loud, slow, & a bit garish for my taste. Blu was perfect for us, casual elegance, no reservations or set time, & by the second night they knew all our preferences.

Of course, if you enjoy the MDR experience of sitting at a large table, it might not be for you.

The food is wonderful, many, many steps up from the MDR, the one exception being the desserts... my opinion only of course.

I don't think I can go back to the MDR after this.:D

Personally, while I think it might have been a decent idea on paper, I don't think it's totally working out the way Celebrity intended. Many people are booking AQ and then asking if they can dine in the MDR.

I doubt that Celebrity would be making a substantial investment to add Aqua-Class/Blu to four Millennium Class ships if it hadn't proven lucrative on the three Solstice Class ships in service prior to the M Class announcement... And AquaClass is being expanded on Reflection...

There is no question that some are apprehensive about the healthier Blu menu prior to experiencing it... And that does prompt a lot of discussion here from first time AquaClass guests relative to having access to the MDR if Blu is not to their liking... And while some don't care for it after experiencing it [food is very subjective], traffic on this Board would suggest that Blu tends to win over far more loyal fans than it loses to detractors who have actually tried it...

This is indeed an interesting subject. As others have explained, they may be admitted to Blu on a space-available basis, but if the restaurant is full by the assigned Aqua class passengers, may not be. Although there usually is space available, due to Aqua passengers dining elsewhere occasionally.

The newest ships will have some Aqua class full suites that will be assigned to Blu.

I would think that those paying for the top accommodations on the ship should also be entitled to dine in a better restaurant than the main dining room. Whether it be complimentary use of any specialty restaurant, or a separate restaurant for suite guests such as Cunard has, or NCL on their newbuilds.

Because Blu is not set up as a money class restaurant, it is set up for healthy eating for the Aqua Class patrons...

Took our first cruise 2010 during Christmas, and was HIGHLY recommended by our travel agent to book Aqua Class. Wife and I are older, and wanted a quiet area to relax, and EAT without kids. Please no offense to those who have them, we had them too and now they are on there own with their own kids.

Blu is EXCELLENT, as my wife and I enjoy each other's company so much, we love to have just us at a table.

We enjoy all the little perks that we get with Aqua class, love the tea in the afternoon, the plush robs and slippers, and the service.

I changes ships because the M class did not have Aqua Class and my wife and I really liked it.

As they say "Each their Own"... We just like the QUIET of an area that really does not have the noise we noticed in other parts of the ship,,, Celebrity did a great job with this....

We did not see any reason to worry about space availability on either of our cruises for Blu at breakfast.

Dinner can be a different story at prime time...like 7 - 8 PM.

Mac...you are right on point with the MDR/garish comment.

We love Blu for all the reasons you gave

Another huge Blu fan here.

We usually ate around 8-8:30 pm and had to wait 5 minutes or less for a table but we were aways seated in the back section, per our request. Such a wonderfully relaxing, sophisticated dining experience, something we looked forward to each evening.

Is breakfast in Blu for a suite guest on a space available basis or is that just for dinner?

It is always available for breakfast for AQ and suite guests. Dinner always for AQ and space available for suite

According to the X today for Eclipse, Blu breakfast was generally from 8:00 a.m to 9:30 except the last day when it epwant open 6:30 am to 8:00 am.

On our three ten night Equinox cruises, I seem to recall that it opened before 8:00 A.M., on some port days.

Archived