No formal wear required in Blu (or other specialty restaurants) - just MDR

City_Woman

IF you can wear it at a country club its smart casual and YES Polo shirts are smart casual. Of course tucked in.

I am not lucky enough to belong to a country club. One question. Do they wear the polo shirts to play golf or in the Main Dining Room in the evenings or even better in the Main Dining Room for a formal affair?

There are lines that offer more refined travel without the need for formal wear but, these lines tend to have only small ships. There are a number of people like my husband, our travel buddies and myself who have more than ample opportunity/obligation to dress formally and don't consider it a treat; however, we like the big ship experience. I think that Celebrity is recognizing that there is a sizeable number of cruisers like us and is trying to appeal to both groups.

The irony in these boards is that I have the distinct feeling that the more traveled, affluent and educated tend to lean toward the non formal group. I don't think that it is a generational thing as much as these factors.

I enjoy dressing on formal nights and I do not think I am James Bond!

B.S. Drexel University

M.S. Stanford University

Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania

I am not lucky enough to belong to a country club. One question. Do they wear the polo shirts to play golf or in the Main Dining Room in the evenings or even better in the Main Dining Room for a formal affair?

i no longer belong to a country club since i quit playing golf over 20 years ago - but when i did, yes, polo shirts were worn on the course - AND in the dining room - and (gasp!) so were shorts! especially when it was hot outside. Formal occasions were defined by the occasion, not the space - I have never been a fan - avoid at all cost unless absolutely necessary for me or my husband professionally.... but if the occasions was formal, then no, shorts would not be appropriate - any more than a tux would be appropriate on the golf course

I don't understand how a man wearing a jacket is a show of respect for a lady.

I feel sorry sometimes when men have to keep their jackets on and it's hot; while women can be cooler in their flowy dresses with or without sleeves.

Likewise, I feel sorry when I see women wearing their skimpy dresses in a cool place and the men are comfortable in the layers of their shirt and coat.

But how does jacket equal respect? That almost implies that a man cannot show respect if he's got no coat. Respect shows esteem for another; or maybe deferring to the needs of another. My husband wearing a jacket doesn't really fill any need of mine... unless I get into one of those skimpy dresses and it's a cold room and I need to wear his coat to keep warm. Is that what you mean?

Right on! You expressed my feeling exactly. I was about to write a similar note until I read yours. You beat me to it. :):)

I will not read another dress code thread. I will not read another dress code thread!! I WILL NOT READ ANOTHER DRESS CODE THREAD!!!

Seriously, why do the all seem to go the he#&??? This one more than some others!!!

I have spent a lifetime having to confirm to dress codes, as well as other codes. I have had my fill of all that regimentation. :eek:

I cruise in order to have a good time and relax while doing it. It is my practice to wear a nice sport jacket over a nice shirt in the evenings and anyone who doesnt like it can stay in their cabin. I don't see why dressing comfortably in good taste, isn't acceptable, regardless of venue. :p:rolleyes:

OTOH, shorts and tee shirts in the evening should be confined to your own stateroom and not inflicted on the rest of society.

RuffinReady

All Inclusive resorts offer an upscale casual experience at a very competitive price. Many resorts also allow bermuda shorts in the restaurants in the evenings. No dress code pressure for those who want to be with the well-traveled, successful, well-educated elite class who detest formal dress. I believe they distribute free monogramed polo shirts for anyone who does not have one. I can offer some suggestions if anyone is interested!!

fortunately for me - since I love the water - X has a product that fits my needs just fine - even though I do detest dressing formally....

I have spent a lifetime having to confirm to dress codes, as well as other codes. I have had my fill of all that regimentation. :eek:

I cruise in order to have a good time and relax while doing it. It is my practice to wear a nice sport jacket over a nice shirt in the evenings and anyone who doesnt like it can stay in their cabin. I don't see why dressing comfortably in good taste, isn't acceptable, regardless of venue. :p:rolleyes:

OTOH, shorts and tee shirts in the evening should be confined to your own stateroom and not inflicted on the rest of society.

RuffinReady

Sounds like your dress is fine for all nights on Celebrity.

soccer

Oh do keep up. Shorts were mentioned once pages ago that someone may have lost their luggage so perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge. I have no idea what you're even arguing about as everyone posting is planning on wearing smart casual (celebrity's version, not your made up one) in the venues that allow smart casual on formal night. If you're not happy with that then I suggest you stop sailing Celebrity as those are their rules.

I am just offering alternatives to the well-traveled, successful, well-educated crowd so they do not have to associate with the rest of us who like to dress formally and did not die on the Titanic!

'

Thank you for the advice. We are going in August, although we are a bit older we are very active and plan whale watching, hiking/walking around (whatever is allowed) on the glaciers and long hikes in Denali. We were told it will be cool/cold at higher elevations, and the hiking boots over tennis shoes were a must. At 50 lbs for a suitcase this is challenging. There just is not much room especially for my husband for a jacket that will not be worn much.

We usually spend vacations at 5 star all inclusives in Mexico, smart casual does mean long pants, polo and dress shoes and that is what we were planning.

If I might make a suggestion, think "layers". Skip the winter coat, take a fleece jacket with a waterproof/windproof jacket to layer over as needed. A fleece vest also comes in handy for another layer or is great to wear over a long-sleeve shirt. If you plan on doing a lot of hiking, then take the hiking boots but perhaps wear them on the plane since they will likely be your heaviest shoes. What you have planned for smart casual will be fine. BTW, I've actually put together a great Alaska packing list if you're interested - email me at barb dot h at comcast dot net.

Archived