No formal wear required in Blu (or other specialty restaurants) - just MDR

City_Woman

Was surprised to see this on Celebrity's website:

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code is Celebrity's Specialty Restaurant is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

Guess this means we can leave the formal wear at home for our upcoming cruise!

Judy

Was surprised to see this on Celebrity's website:

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code is Celebrity's Specialty Restaurant is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

Guess this means we can leave the formal wear at home for our upcoming cruise!

Judy

Yes, there have been numerous threads about this in the past couple of months. Suggest you search for them because a couple of the ships apparently didn't get the message....

I now know that formal wear is not required in Blu ... but I for one love 'dressing up' on formal nights and will be packing my long dresses for my next cruise in AQ on the Solstice. I am fairly new to cruising (3 so far) and I intend to continue to enhance my holiday by wearing formal wear on formal nights, regardless of what the dress code is! Anyone else agree?

I, for one, was very concerned about this before my Solstice cruise last week.

Turned out that the Daily on Solstice on the first day specifically said that the formal dress code was in-force in ALL restaurants on formal nights. (I can submit a picture of the page in the Daily if anyone needs proof of this).

Which, as anyone on CC knows, is completely incorrect (considering that the Specialty Restaurants have supposedly not had formal requirements for well over a year now), and I was prepared to put up an argument with the maitre d' in Blu about it.

Well, I wore a polo shirt and khakis on both formal nights, and the maitre d' did not say a word about it or try to stop me from entering. Granted, I was certainly one of only a few who did NOT dress formally in Blu on formal night, so I don't know if there was not a formal night in Blu (despite the statement in the Daily), or if it just was not enforced.

So in conclusion, even after sailing 8 nights in AQ, I still really have no idea what the actual rules of dress in Blu are...

I now know that formal wear is not required in Blu ... but I for one love 'dressing up' on formal nights and will be packing my long dresses for my next cruise in AQ on the Solstice. I am fairly new to cruising (3 so far) and I intend to continue to enhance my holiday by wearing formal wear on formal nights, regardless of what the dress code is! Anyone else agree?

I agree, I like to dress up on a cruise. Usually in a suit or jacket and tie, it makes for a special night out.

soccer

We were on the Silhouette on the 11/6 cruise, and will be going again next week on 1/5. Last time AQ, this time a suite. On the 11/6 cruise, the first formal night my husband wore his suit, the second formal we dressed smart casual. When we got to Blu, Orlando who is the maitre'D, and I had a big discussion about the dress code. I told him it has changed, but he insisted that a jacket was necessary on my husband. He gave him a jacket and just asked him to carry it over his arm(which was ridiculous), my husband did, and then hung it over the back of the chair & just left it there when we finished dining. The 3rd formal night he just wore his suit again.

I printed out the dress code from the Celebrity web site and will make sure I show it to Orlando on our first night in Blu. It's a shame that there is a lack of communication with management on the ships.

We were on the Silhouette on the 11/6 cruise, and will be going again next week on 1/5. Last time AQ, this time a suite. On the 11/6 cruise, the first formal night my husband wore his suit, the second formal we dressed smart casual. When we got to Blu, Orlando who is the maitre'D, and I had a big discussion about the dress code. I told him it has changed, but he insisted that a jacket was necessary on my husband. He gave him a jacket and just asked him to carry it over his arm(which was ridiculous), my husband did, and then hung it over the back of the chair & just left it there when we finished dining. The 3rd formal night he just wore his suit again.

I printed out the dress code from the Celebrity web site and will make sure I show it to Orlando on our first night in Blu. It's a shame that there is a lack of communication with management on the ships.

I was on the 11/6 cruise and never wore a jacket to Blu on formal night.Did not have a problem.

As when one does not the rules, and they always change for the good.

We said why are we dressed up, while others can walk in in their daily clothes.

and that is the MDR (main dining room)

Maybe we should walk in our Jammie's. however way you feel. the Capt'n never showed his face at both formals. :eek:

As when one does not the rules, and they always change for the good.

We said why are we dressed up, while others can walk in in their daily clothes.

and that is the MDR (main dining room)

Maybe we should walk in our Jammie's. however way you feel. the Capt'n never showed his face at both formals. :eek:

I am all for following the rules. That's why I checked the policies written on line.

Now I'm concerned about what the rule is on the Equinox!

Judy

What a shame when most cruisers like the 'special' restaurants including Blue, that the men can't show some respect to the ladies.

One jacket for the men equals many outfits that the ladies always pack.

If I'm dressing formal - so does hubby.

If it's not formal night - hubby dresses smart casual in his dress slacks and Cuban style shirt I and wear a dress.

We have enjoyed many specialty dining experiences where I feel more than respected by my husband.

Judy

ps. I was simply seeking clarification on Celebrity's policy regarding formal nights - as stated on their website.

I am all for following the rules. That's why I checked the policies written on line.

Now I'm concerned about what the rule is on the Equinox!

Judy

They just changed blu about 6 weeks ago to smart casual. Apparently it took some time for the message to get to the ships and Equinox was not following policy. Those threads are a couple of weeks old so hopefully they are doing what they should be...

I should also mention that there was a guy who was let into Blu on Solstice wearing shorts on smart casual night. I only noticed on the first night of the cruise, so it's possible that he lost his luggage or something. Either that, or they weren't really enforcing any dress code rule. And no, it wasn't me;).

I should also mention that there was a guy who was let into Blu on Solstice wearing shorts on smart casual night. I only noticed on the first night of the cruise, so it's possible that he lost his luggage or something. Either that, or they weren't really enforcing any dress code rule. And no, it wasn't me;).

Not uncommon the first night, they realize that some don't get their luggage right away...

We were on the Solstice the week before yours, and with the late embarkation, we could not even get in our cabins until after 6, so most people did not have their luggage before dinner. There were many men in Blu that evening in shorts.

Well, I wore a polo shirt and khakis on both formal nights, and the maitre d' did not say a word about it or try to stop me from entering. Granted, I was certainly one of only a few who did NOT dress formally in Blu on formal night, so I don't know if there was not a formal night in Blu (despite the statement in the Daily), or if it just was not enforced.

Are you familiar with Carnival Cruise Lines?

We agree with you - have been cruising since 1982 - we have completed well over 40 cruises and enjoy "dressing up". We are booked on the Eclipse in the spring and will dress up to our hearts content. The new policy of smart casual or better means to us, we can dress up as much as we like any night.

We just returned from Cunard's Queen Victoria, dress on Cunard is more formal every night. Men are required to wear a jacket and tie (informal wear) every night that is not formal. We loved it. Cunard's idea of smart casual is a jacket with no tie, that was only allowed on the first and last night of the cruise.

We agree with you - have been cruising since 1982 - we have completed well over 40 cruises and enjoy "dressing up". We are booked on the Eclipse in the spring and will dress up to our hearts content. The new policy of smart casual or better means to us, we can dress up as much as we like any night.

We just returned from Cunard's Queen Victoria, dress on Cunard is more formal every night. Men are required to wear a jacket and tie (informal wear) every night that is not formal. We loved it. Cunard's idea of smart casual is a jacket with no tie, that was only allowed on the first and last night of the cruise.

Agree. If for no other reason, I just like to wear a sport coat so I have some pockets!

I also like to wear khakis and polos shirts - when I mow my lawn!

Archived