No formal wear required in Blu (or other specialty restaurants) - just MDR

City_Woman

You make no sense. The poster on the previous page followed the guidelines in Blu and you suggested he sail Carnival. Make up your freaking mind!

As far as I can see, you have only sailed with Celebrity once. Why are you always over on this board trashing other posters so aggressively?

By and large, the posters on Celebrity boards are kind and helpful people. If they want to have a civilized discussion about both sides of the dress code issue on Celebrity ships, I think that is the type of thing that these boards are for. But it's really tiresome to be exposed to the invective of drive-by posters who rarely have anything positive to contribute and don't sail Celebrity anyhow.

As far as I can see, you have only sailed with Celebrity once. Why are you always over on this board trashing other posters so aggressively?

By and large, the posters on Celebrity boards are kind and helpful people. If they want to have a civilized discussion about both sides of the dress code issue on Celebrity ships, I think that is the type of thing that these boards are for. But it's really tiresome to be exposed to the invective of drive-by posters who rarely have anything positive to contribute and don't sail Celebrity anyhow.

Awesome - another banned poster comes back from the ashes.

If you'd be so kind to point out what I posted in error, I'd be happy to retract it. Even though I don't have any cruises at all listed in my upcoming list of vacations, I seem to know more than quite a few people around here.

Has anyone done an Alaskan Cruise/Tour? Are they formal? We have one suitcase and one carryone per person for 15 days and need coats, hiking boots, hats, fleece, as well as shorts and tanks. I am really stressing about this!

Don't stress. Have done 3 Alaska cruises and they are definitely more casual. Our experience has been that tuxes/gowns are few and far between on formal nights. If you want to pack light, plan to order room service or eat in the buffet or a specialty restaurant on those nights and you don't have to worry about it. By the way, what month are you going up? Your packing list looks a little heavy, unless you're going to be camping.

Has anyone done an Alaskan Cruise/Tour? Are they formal? We have one suitcase and one carryone per person for 15 days and need coats, hiking boots, hats, fleece, as well as shorts and tanks. I am really stressing about this!

We have a B2B planned that runs 23 days and ranges from Ft. Lauderdale to Cartagena all the way through the Panama Canal around and up to Juneau. I'm glad we don't have to worry about land tour clothing too. This will be a real challenge as we are flying on both ends as well. It will be a trip of a lifetime for us, but not so much a fashion show I think. We are traveling for places more than graces.

We have a B2B planned that runs 23 days and ranges from Ft. Lauderdale to Cartagena all the way through the Panama Canal around and up to Juneau. I'm glad we don't have to worry about land tour clothing too. This will be a real challenge as we are flying on both ends as well. It will be a trip of a lifetime for us, but not so much a fashion show I think. We are traveling for places more than graces.

What a great itinerary! And talk about going from hot, hot, hot to cold, cold, cold - lots of layers! Enjoy

I think the point is that some of us do like to dress up for dinner on a cruise. It is not every night that I eat in a fine dining restaurant, so I like to enjoy the evening on a cruise ship, that is what make cruising special to me.

I do not wear a tuxedo to dinner in the main dining room or speciality restuarant on any night. I just wear a jacket, jacket and tie or a suit when dining in the main dining room or speciality restaurant. If it is exceptionally warm, just a dress shirt is fine on smart casual nights for me.

If others do not want to dress up, that is fine, I just wish they would follow whatever rules are in place for the evening. I don't think it is too much to ask of people. If they can't follow the rules for dining in the main dining room or speciality restaurant that night, they can easily eat dinner at a buffet restaurant that has no standards for dress.

My opinion applies to all cruise lines that have dress codes for dining in the main dining room or speciality restaurants.

soccer

I think the point is that some of us do like to dress up for dinner on a cruise. It is not every night that I eat in a fine dining restaurant, so I like to enjoy the evening on a cruise ship, that is what make cruising special to me.

I do not wear a tuxedo to dinner in the main dining room or speciality restuarant on any night. I just wear a jacket, jacket and tie or a suit when dining in the main dining room or speciality restaurant. If it is exceptionally warm, just a dress shirt is fine on smart casual nights for me.

If others do not want to dress up, that is fine, I just wish they would follow whatever rules are in place for the evening. I don't think it is too much to ask of people. If they can't follow the rules for dining in the main dining room or speciality restaurant that night, they can easily eat dinner at a buffet restaurant that has no standards for dress.

My opinion applies to all cruise lines that have dress codes for dining in the main dining room or speciality restaurants.

soccer

only MDR requires any sort of jacket on any night... perfectly acceptable to be smart casual everywhere else... and pool attire by the pool/hot tub is expected...those are celebrity's rules not mine... but I do happen to like them

Dressing up was fine when the airlines allowed two pieces of luggage per person. Now with the per luggage charge if I need to pack formal clothes for my husband and myself we need an extra suitcase. I'd rather have smart casual every night like we had when we sailed Azamara.

Dressing up was fine when the airlines allowed two pieces of luggage per person. Now with the per luggage charge if I need to pack formal clothes for my husband and myself we need an extra suitcase. I'd rather have smart casual every night like we had when we sailed Azamara.

We flew Delta US to Spain:1 Checked + 1 Carry-on + 1 Personal item per person. DH did take a Tux, 2 suits and smart casual without any problems of weight. I also had 2 long gowns, and very smart casual in addition to casual without any problem of weight.

If you can pack properly, you can get a lot in a suitcase and still be under 50 pounds.

We flew Delta US to Spain:1 Checked + 1 Carry-on + 1 Personal item per person. DH did take a Tux, 2 suits and smart casual without any problems of weight. I also had 2 long gowns, and very smart casual in addition to casual without any problem of weight.

If you can pack properly, you can get a lot in a suitcase and still be under 50 pounds.

If we fly, we usually only check one bag between us and have a roller carry on each. We will need our warm coats for the second half of our B2B and we're going to look funny wearing them on the plane to Ft. Lauderdale, but I can't see putting those in a suitcase or checking a second bag just so we can pack them. If I pack a second checked bag, it will have our snorkel gear in it! I figure they won't charge us for the extra weight if we are wearing the coats. :D

We'll have some dress up clothes smashed in there somewhere.

I would prefer them to enforce guidelines. There really is no place for shorts, tees and flip flops, etc. on a Celebrity Cruise ship at nights. These do no even fit the definition of smart casual. By the way I always complain to the Maitre D if I see someone in shorts or other sloppy clothes in the MDR. On several occasions, he did ask the individual to leave. Maybe if more people complained, Celebrity would enforce the guidelines.

Why don't you just mind your own buisness and stop worrying what other people are doing. I guarentee, your food WILL taste the same.

I am sure everyone in the MDR dressed like a slob lost their luggage. You know exactly the people I am referring to - the 99% who just take the attitude "I's my vacation and I will do whatever i want. I don't care what others think"!

"It is my vacation and I will do want I want (as long as I'm not hurting anyone else) and I don't care what others think." You've hit the nail on the head.

If we fly, we usually only check one bag between us and have a roller carry on each. We will need our warm coats for the second half of our B2B and we're going to look funny wearing them on the plane to Ft. Lauderdale, but I can't see putting those in a suitcase or checking a second bag just so we can pack them. If I pack a second checked bag, it will have our snorkel gear in it! I figure they won't charge us for the extra weight if we are wearing the coats. :D

We'll have some dress up clothes smashed in there somewhere.

We each have Delta AE and thus get a free check-in each. We are from MI and yes, we do carry coats when it is cold. We also have a roller carry on each, too. Don't need snorkel gear.

Don't stress. Have done 3 Alaska cruises and they are definitely more casual. Our experience has been that tuxes/gowns are few and far between on formal nights. If you want to pack light, plan to order room service or eat in the buffet or a specialty restaurant on those nights and you don't have to worry about it. By the way, what month are you going up? Your packing list looks a little heavy, unless you're going to be camping.
'

Thank you for the advice. We are going in August, although we are a bit older we are very active and plan whale watching, hiking/walking around (whatever is allowed) on the glaciers and long hikes in Denali. We were told it will be cool/cold at higher elevations, and the hiking boots over tennis shoes were a must. At 50 lbs for a suitcase this is challenging. There just is not much room especially for my husband for a jacket that will not be worn much.

We usually spend vacations at 5 star all inclusives in Mexico, smart casual does mean long pants, polo and dress shoes and that is what we were planning.

Why don't you just mind your own buisness and stop worrying what other people are doing. I guarentee, your food WILL taste the same.

Ouch! Giorgi-one was only expressing his/her preference and opinion. It's easy to tell someone to "mind [his/her] own business and stop worrying what other people are doing" as long, of course, as what those other people are doing doesn't bother you. Playing devil's advocate (I don't care what others wear), I have to wonder if you would be so quick to take your own advice if your fellow pax were smoking in a non-smoking area, saving seats in the theater, chair-hogging on the pool deck, cutting into lines, being loud/intrusive or any of a multitude of other things that hurt no one and certainly wouldn't alter the taste of your food(!), but nevertheless can be irksome.

The weight would not be an issue if this was a warm weather cruise. I am finding it challenging especially for DH because of the climate changes. I think he would rather raingear than a formal coat. But we are Aqua Class so we will happily dine smart casual in Blu!

Ouch! Giorgi-one was only expressing his/her preference and opinion. It's easy to tell someone to "mind [his/her] own business and stop worrying what other people are doing" as long, of course, as what those other people are doing doesn't bother you. Playing devil's advocate (I don't care what others wear), I have to wonder if you would be so quick to take your own advice if your fellow pax were smoking in a non-smoking area, saving seats in the theater, chair-hogging on the pool deck, cutting into lines, being loud/intrusive or any of a multitude of other things that hurt no one and certainly wouldn't alter the taste of your food(!), but nevertheless can be irksome.

Well put. Why do these dress code threads always get ugly.

I guess the question would be....would you wear shorts to a 5 star resturant on shore? Then why would you think its OK on the ship?

Most people don't but if you are home you can always go home and change before going to that 5 star restaurant. You can't do that on a ship if you havent received your luggage...

Archived