If a visit from the upgrade fairy comes...

Lynniepoo

Our next cruise is in May. If a visit from the upgrade fairy comes, does anyone know about when we'll find out about it? Thanks!! :D

In my experience we have received upgrades shortly after the final payment is made (on a guarantee). On our last cruise which was a transatlantic we were upgraded twice, ultimately from an obstructed to a balcony.

I understand that the upgrade fairy can come anytime up to embarkation (if she comes at all).

Karen

We received our one and only upgrade exactly one month before we sailed. We were so excited and surprised!! We moved from a Partially Obstructed View to a Balcony on our 28 day Tahiti/Samoa/Hawaii cruise. Big WOW for sure.

Good Luck and Happy New Year,

Denise

I've received two upgrades with Princess. The first one was from an Aloha deck balcony (had my cabin marked no upgrade)to a Dolphin deck mini suite. I was called 3 days prior to my cruise my a Princess rep asking me if I wanted this upgrade as someone really wanted my aft Aloha deck balcony. I took it and happy I did. Now I really love those Dolphin deck minis.

My second upgrade was from an obstructed oceanview cabin on Emerald deck to a full oceanview cabin on Plaza. I knew two months in advance of my cruise.

We received our one and only upgrade exactly one month before we sailed. We were so excited and surprised!! We moved from a Partially Obstructed View to a Balcony on our 28 day Tahiti/Samoa/Hawaii cruise. Big WOW for sure.

Good Luck and Happy New Year,

Denise

Followed your thread to Tahiti... We had the exact same type of upgrade you did... Cat. E to balcony! I hope you enjoyed yours as much as we did ours!

Followed your thread to Tahiti... We had the exact same type of upgrade you did... Cat. E to balcony! I hope you enjoyed yours as much as we did ours!

Why exactly do they upgrade you? Like what has to happen to make them choose you to upgrade?

On our 28 day cruise, we discovered 8 other couples that were upgraded from Partially Obstructed Views to Balconies. Obviously that was the cabin choice that was selling. How we were among the lucky few is unknown.

We were thrilled to have the balcony. It really did make a difference in a cruise that had 18 sea days for sure.

Cheers, Denise

Hi

We cruise on the Carribean. Princess on January 15 and booked in June with a guarantee and we still are waiting for a room assignment hoping for an upgrade. But, if we do not get an upgrade we will be satisfied with our choice, 11 days till we cruise.

Why exactly do they upgrade you? Like what has to happen to make them choose you to upgrade?

One of two things:

a) They can resell your cabin but have inventory of higher categories they believe will not sell so they upgrade you.

b) They have vacant higher category cabins and for an unknown reason choose you to be upgraded.

Remember, the great majority of upgrades is to a cabin of the same type in a higher category. For example, an inside to an inside or a balcony to a balcony.

On our 28 day cruise, we discovered 8 other couples that were upgraded from Partially Obstructed Views to Balconies. Obviously that was the cabin choice that was selling. How we were among the lucky few is unknown.

We were thrilled to have the balcony. It really did make a difference in a cruise that had 18 sea days for sure.

Cheers, Denise

On our last cruise were upgraded from OV to a Balcony 4 days before the start of the cruise. We have found out that our cabin neighbours were offered the same upgrade but for $25/day/person. I am not sure how Princess decides who gets the upgrades for free and who has to pay?

We were very happy to have a balcony and spent a lot of time on it, eating, reading, drinking wine and watching sunsets.

Thanks for a great Christmas present, Princess upgrade fairy !!!

We have received our cabin assignments on guarantees weeks before the final payment date and as late as four days before our cruise. We have only received two real upgrades--going from obstructed view to an unobstructed one. We have received lots of upgrades within a class of cabins--one obstructed view to a slightly higher category, or a lower category of balcony cabin to a higher one.

Archived