Another smuggling Question..sorry..

We are bringing a box of wine in our checked luggage..does it matter where it is in the suitcase? Is bottom better than top or should I try to bury it in the center..just wondering what would be the best place for it to be undetected?:)

Thanks, and if you disagree with my doing this..don't want to hear it..sorry:)

We are bringing a box of wine in our checked luggage..does it matter where it is in the suitcase? Is bottom better than top or should I try to bury it in the center..just wondering what would be the best place for it to be undetected?:)

While I don't disagree with you doing it, I hope you are not flying with a box of wine. You could easily go over the weight limit................ Not to mention the possibility of breakage.

There is no "best place" it will either be detected or it won't. We put ours in the middle and made it okay. You may want to look at rum runners or a second box and split it in some other luggage to maximize your potential for making it through. :rolleyes:... Good luck!

There is no "best place" it will either be detected or it won't. We put ours in the middle and made it okay. You may want to look at rum runners or a second box and split it in some other luggage to maximize your potential for making it through. :rolleyes:... Good luck!

Thanks...I will probably just put it on top then...:)

You're probably better off putting it in your carry on luggage when you get to the port as your carry on luggage is usually x-rayed by the Port Authorities in the terminal prior to boarding and not RCI Security.

well, if they are Xraying luggage, maybe you want to place some radio dense items (metals, such as zippers, charging cords, certain dress shoes, for example) in front and beside it. That might make the xray more complex and the box harder to discern. just a guess...

You're probably better off putting it in your carry on luggage when you get to the port as your carry on luggage is usually x-rayed by the Port Authorities in the terminal prior to boarding and not RCI Security.

Really? I would have thought the opposite - the staggering quantities of luggage that gets checked versus carry-on would sure seem to place the odds in favour of checking it - I'm sure bags are flying through the checked luggage x-ray machines at breakneck speed.

My experience with the carry-on area was that things moved slower, they paid more attention, and a lot of things seemed to be getting "noticed".

YOu could just always try being honest. Works for me. Never get caught, and never have to ask people on an open forum how to do it.....

Really? I would have thought the opposite - the staggering quantities of luggage that gets checked versus carry-on would sure seem to place the odds in favour of checking it - I'm sure bags are flying through the checked luggage x-ray machines at breakneck speed.

My experience with the carry-on area was that things moved slower, they paid more attention, and a lot of things seemed to be getting "noticed".

Not to mention how heavy that carry on would be:eek:

YOu could just always try being honest. Works for me. Never get caught, and never have to ask people on an open forum how to do it.....
Ok,just how are you honest?? You tell them you are bringing it on??:confused:

It all depends on the port of embarkation as to who is checking carry-on luggage. Prior to boarding Enchantment last April, it was the local port authorities in Baltimore that were operating the x-ray prior to boarding. Same was true this past September when we boarded Radiance in Honolulu. All local authorities.

It can also happen when you return from a port of call as to which x-ray your packages will go through............port or ships.

Not to mention how heavy that carry on would be

For those that want to bring it on board bad enough, then weight will not be an issue.

It all depends on the port of embarkation as to who is checking carry-on luggage. Prior to boarding Enchantment last April, it was the local port authorities in Baltimore that were operating the x-ray prior to boarding. Same was true this past September when we boarded Radiance in Honolulu. All local authorities.

It can also happen when you return from a port of call as to which x-ray your packages will go through............port or ships.

For those that want to bring it on board bad enough, then weight will not be an issue.

My point was it is a pain to carry that weight(boxed wines are kinda heavy) and its easier just to check it in...........my experiences with carry on luggage, is they are pretty thorough.(whoever it is)

My point was it is a pain to carry that weight(boxed wines are kinda heavy) and its easier just to check it in...........my experiences with carry on luggage, is they are pretty thorough.(whoever it is)

Yes, I agree it is a pain to carry on that extra weight. My point was........if they want to get it on board bad enough, they will no matter what the weight is.

I was just giving our experience over the last 4 years which has been just the opposite of what you said.......that they are pretty thorough.

As I said before, it all depends on the port of embarkation. I am assuming you are referring to Florida Ports and since we haven't cruised out of any port in Florida since 2007, it appears that they may be more thorough in their inspection of carry-on luggage than the ports we have embarked at.

i agree. carry on is scrutinized way more. When I use to pack hidden wine (I don't smuggle anymore) it was more packing it center more for unnecessary breakage or leakage than for detection. As someone said its detected or its not. Just make sure it doesn't break or split a seam and ruin all your clothes. 2 large rumrunner can hold almost 3 bottles of wine. we also use to split one in each suitcase.

The only problem we ever had was the stateroom attendant throwing away one of my empty rumrunner. I guess she thought it was trash (although sitting on top of the table. I couldn't exact complain to her or her supervisor that she threw away the container I smuggled my wine in. :D

Now, I'm definitely not encouraging this, but...

Traveling with a box of wine is going to be pretty obvious. If you really want to smuggle, be more creative. I've heard that mouthwash bottles work well because mouthwash contains alcohol. I've also heard about people using shampoo bottles.

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. If you put a little bit in each bag in separate containers, then you're more likely to get some onboard. It's also going to be less of a red flag.

Warning: if they catch you smuggling, they will search your stateroom. Some guys we met on our past cruise were caught smuggling alcohol on the ship from port, and their room was searched and all alcohol was confiscated.

Much better to put it in checked baggage as it is much more probable that a carry on would be opened and searched. Never had a problem with checked bags. we always double pack it with plastic bags even though there has never been a leakage/breakage problem. Those boxes are pretty sturdy.............

As I said before, it all depends on the port of embarkation. I am assuming you are referring to Florida Ports and since we haven't cruised out of any port in Florida since 2007, it appears that they may be more thorough in their inspection of carry-on luggage than the ports we have embarked at.

wow.....I guess FL is more on the ball,huh??:)

Traveling with a box of wine is going to be pretty obvious. If you really want to smuggle, be more creative. I've heard that mouthwash bottles work well because mouthwash contains alcohol. I've also heard about people using shampoo bottles.

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. If you put a little bit in each bag in separate containers, then you're more likely to get some onboard. It's also going to be less of a red flag.

Warning: if they catch you smuggling, they will search your stateroom. Some guys we met on our past cruise were caught smuggling alcohol on the ship from port, and their room was searched and all alcohol was confiscated.

I have never heard that!! I know people who were caught and their rooms werent searched:rolleyes:

and for the record,I don't bring box wine anymore........I wind up with more wine that I can drink now..Between amenities and gifts,I don't need to buy any.

Never use mouthwash bottles as no matter how clean you think you've gotten the bottle, your booze will still taste like mouthwash. (been there done that).

The warning about your room being searched. Sorry but i just don't believe this. Friends, family and myself have been to the naughty room to retrieve suitcases and relinquish booze. Never ever has anyone stateroom been searched. This searching of the guys room is hearsay afterall. If you knew some guys whose room was searched, it was not because of smuggled booze. It was somthing much more.

Nope, not true. We got sent to the naughty room--they confiscated two bottles in our suitcase. Gave us back the suitcase and we still had two bottles inside of it...they never even looked.

The searching your stateroom is a new one for me- they didn't search mine:rolleyes:

If it leaked in your luggage from rough treatment of your bags??? Is it worth that possiblitiy????:rolleyes:

Archived