Liquor Packages

tropicalkerry2002

This was the Press Release:

MIAMI, December 8, 2011 – Oceania Cruises will introduce two new beverage packages on voyages beginning in 2012. The new wine, beer and spirits beverage packages were designed to enhance the culinary experience for guests while at the same time offering additional convenience and value.

All Oceania Cruises guests will continue to enjoy unlimited complimentary soft drinks, bottled water, specialty coffees and teas on every sailing.

House Wine and Beer, priced at $29.95 per guest, per day, includes house wine by the glass and beer with lunch and dinner in any dining venue or via room service. House wine options are from a selection of red and white wines that change daily.

The second option, Open Bar, priced at $49.95 per guest, per day, includes beer and premium house wine by the glass and most beverages on the bar menu. Guests can also order spirits and beer through room service. Premium house wine options are from an exclusive selection of featured red and white wines that change daily.

“Our new beverage packages offer guests a convenient and affordable way to further enjoy the finest cuisine at sea,” said Kunal S. Kamlani, the line’s president. “By paying one set price, guests can enjoy a wide variety of wine, beer, spirits or even a nightcap at a terrific value.”

“The new beverage package prices include gratuities and can be pre-booked online or through a reservations representative. They can also be purchased onboard at any time during the cruise, with prices prorated for the days remaining. Guests can upgrade packages during the sailing“.

For more information, visit http://www.OceaniaCruises.com, contact a professional travel agent or call toll-free 800-531-5658

$100 a day for two for an open bar? Who came up with these rates, the same people who came up with the rates for the internet?

It's cheaper than Celebrity's all you can drink package.

$100 a day for two for an open bar? Who came up with these rates, the same people who came up with the rates for the internet?

Yes, as I posited awhile ago, add the premium package and the gratuities to a Penthouse, and the price is essentially that of a Seabourn cruise. Strange marketing.

Yes, as I posited awhile ago, add the premium package and the gratuities to a Penthouse, and the price is essentially that of a Seabourn cruise. Strange marketing.

You speak so glowingly of the Seabourn product that I just have to ask...

If things were so good over there-

Why did you come over here :confused:

You speak so glowingly of the Seabourn product that I just have to ask...

If things were so good over there-

Why did you come over here :confused:

JimandStan: As Wripro suggests, the new always has an appeal.Certainly part of the initial attraction of Oceania was that it was "near luxe" and (generally)more affordable. I suspect that hidden in your comments is the suspicion that folks who cruise on Seabourn are, well, snobs. And some are.(Maybe Oceania has its "aristocrats" in pricey penthouses?) In any case, I'm not. Writers can't afford social pretension. And if you checked some of my posts--particularly on the subject of the change on SB from formal nights to formal optional--applause here, to the distress of many on the SB board--you would find evidence of my, um, democratic leanings. Indeed, it is the informality --among other things--that attracts me to Riviera..Plus the enthusiastic recommendations of pax on SB who thought the beds and the food on Marina were better than SB. Do I have some concerns? Sure. The shower on SB permits one to easily turn round, and if you drop the soap you can retrieve it. The admittedly fewer SB restaurants are easier to access in terms of reservations. And although the original sense of Oceania was that it was classless, it is, actually, more class sensitive that Seabourn, which has no special lounges or privileges for boarding or exiting the ship based on the cost of your cabin. Seabourn is fine. But familiar. I hope Oceania will be distinctive. And fine. And certainly it will be new to us.But it does seem counter intuitive to pay "extra" for a Penthouse which resembles the standard suite on SB. Then tally gratuities and a reasonable amount for liquid refreshment, and you are approaching SB's tariff. In truth, the most important element on a cruise--at least to us--are the people we meet. In that sense, I have no doubt that Oceania will be as satisfying as Seabourn.

My apologies. Freed from an editor's stern discipline I tend towards the loquacious.

Frankly, the "class sensitivity" that we have experienced on the Oceania side of the fence has been from "Luxury Line" passengers who imagine that they are stepping down to Oceania because the fares are lower, and then grouse endlessly about the perquisites that they are missing.

They don't come right out and SAY that they want Sable for the Mink price, but there is a lot of "They did it this way on Seabourn (or Crystal, or Sea Dream); what can I expect on Oceania?".

Now, I don't imagine that you fall into this category because your posts here seem to be quite reasonable and fair minded, but this recent thread about Caviar is a perfect example.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1543200

Nobody is expecting mink for a sable price on O. But we don't want mink for a sable price either. I have always said that once you factor in the cost of a PH, tips and alcohol the price of an O cruise matches or exceeds SB. Where O can give value is if one is willing to travel in a smaller cabin.

If one drinks an enormous amount of course there is value in paying the $100 a day for the beverage package. But in such a case there is far greater value on Seabourn imo.

Frankly, the "class sensitivity" that we have experienced on the Oceania side of the fence has been from "Luxury Line" passengers who imagine that they are stepping down to Oceania because the fares are lower, and then grouse endlessly about the perquisites that they are missing.

They don't come right out and SAY that they want Sable for the Mink price, but there is a lot of "They did it this way on Seabourn (or Crystal, or Sea Dream); what can I expect on Oceania?".

Now, I don't imagine that you fall into this category because your posts here seem to be quite reasonable and fair minded, but this recent thread about Caviar is a perfect example.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1543200

I understand your reaction. I really do. On SB there were pax who announced that Silverseas was clearly superior--the reasons were either elusive of subjective, or both--and were flayed by SB loyalists. I'm sure that corresponding situations exist on other cruise lines. Suffice to say we are looking forward to a different cruise experience on Oceania, nor a lesser one.

And that is exactly what you will get, Writer100. I look forward to reading about your experiences post cruise. As a frequent Seabourn sailor myself I have enjoyed each of my O cruises very much. I do not sail on Oceania to save money since I do not save a dime, but to experience a different approach to cruising.

As a past Regent passenger recognize the other intangible benifits as well as tangible that Oceania offers. I migrated from Regent and found that I am just as happy with somewhat less of somethings but more of others. I am happy going from a Regent penthouse to a Oceania inside.

I am not nor care to be special, elite or privilidged to expect to be fussed over and lavished.

$49 a day, hey thats with tip do it is only about $41 which is 2 cocktails and 2 glasses of wine !!! $50 to me is excellent deal even 2 more drinks per day would save you almost 50% more!

I guess this is the right place to compare the two. I was lucky enough to have been on the quest for Christmas and the Marina in September. Now that I'm planning a trip to the South Pacific next year the "big " dilemma crept up. Does one go Seabourn or Oceania. Seabourn has what I'll call a consistently good product, great staff, service, food etc, where I found Oceania had fantastic food, so so cleaning, a mixed crowd, and some great suites and rooms. If I compare a penthouse on the two ships, the price difference is about $8000, less the booze one can consume. I hate paying for small stuff, don't drink until 5:00, but pay for better wines on the Seabourn because the house wines are exactly that. If Oceania's new booze packages include decent wines, I would probably go for it just for the hassle free feeling.

I love Seabourn, or I should say my wife loves Seabourn, as it just is a great cruise line with a very good social atmosphere, but Oceania's new ship(s) have fantastic facilities, restaurants and suites for 20% cheaper prices, and if I snag a large suite for the same price or cheaper than a Seabourn Penthouse, I would say it represents better value, at least until Seabourn perks up its restaurant menu and it decides who they want to to attract to its ships. Oceania knows who they want to be, Seabourn and its mixed messages concerning dress codes needs to define itself a bit more, and I guess another year of training all the new staff will correct all ills.

In any case, neither choice can be a bad one, but for me, aged 53 and having five years of cruising experience can say the new Oceania ships have an edge in the market for the price they are offering. I would also say that the older Seabourn ships have a warmth that the older Oceania's can't match, and so it goes.

Archived