Hal is sending me offers to move my cruise.

potsie57

Today I got two emails from HAL asking me if I would change my cruise date to a later date and get 50% off. And another email offered to upgrade to a SC or SQ cabin for 350.00 per person more then what we paid for VF! Is this common? I'm wondering if HAL is overbooked? My cruise is this Sunday, Jan. 8. Anyone else get any of these offers?

Today I got two emails from HAL asking me if I would change my cruise date to a later date and get 50% off. And another email offered to upgrade to a SC or SQ cabin for 350.00 per person more then what we paid for VF! Is this common? I'm wondering if HAL is overbooked? My cruise is this Sunday, Jan. 8. Anyone else get any of these offers?

This has happened before - if your schedule is at all flexible -then this could be one heck of a deal - if it's not then stand firm and say no thanks.

Might be worth a call to see what all the offers are - there could be one for the same date if your schedule is fixed!

I'm guessing either someone is willing to pay full freight or they could be over booked (but i think it's the former). Have fun with this. what an opportunity:D

Yesterday, I had an offer for an upsell (via our TA) from an outside to a verandah on the Maasdam on 1/13...that's the first time that's happened.

I'm guessing since it's directly from HAL, you booked directly with a PCC.

BTW...I didn't take the offer...we've always had a verandah and I've "psyched myself" up for trying to save $$$ and do an outside....so I politely turned it down.

It happens from time to time and can result in some really good offers We had such offers years ago and at first refused to give up our cabin but ultimately agreed.

If you are able to change, see how good an offer you can negotiate with them.

Congratuations.

(Don't worry... you won't be bumped involuntarily. They will keep making offers until they get someone to agree to giving up their cabin. We have never heard of anyone being bumped without their agreement.)

It happens from time to time and can result in some really good offers We had such offers years ago and at first refused to give up our cabin but ultimately agreed.

If you are able to change, see how good an offer you can negotiate with them.

Congratuations.

(Don't worry... you won't be bumped involuntarily. They will keep making offers until they get someone to agree to giving up their cabin. We have never heard of anyone being bumped without their agreement.)

thanks Sail, I was wondering about that, if they would bump us...

Yesterday, I had an offer for an upsell (via our TA) from an outside to a verandah on the Maasdam on 1/13...that's the first time that's happened.

I believe upsells to be more sommon than the type both the OP and I received on our respective cruises.

In my case on Ryndam I had air + hotel + attractions all prearranged and along with holiday time booked off work just couldn't take the offer.

Note that while I don't have the offer in front of me I believe it was half off the "base" rate which often doesn't include some surcharges and fees, or NCCF's, so my input would be to really run the numbers before accepting any offer to see if it really adds up to a windfall for you or not. :)

Go for the half off, baby, can't go wrong there

I'm guessing since it's directly from HAL, you booked directly with a PCC.

BTW...I didn't take the offer...we've always had a verandah and I've "psyched myself" up for trying to save $$$ and do an outside....so I politely turned it down.

Sounds like it wasn't a very good upsell offer.

I will admit the 50% off offer was hard to pass up but I am too excited for this cruise!! I am already packed and ready to go...Also, being a Pediatric Nurse it is hard to get time off never mind asking if I can cancel my time off for another week!!! I am going Sunday!! Thanks everyone...

Sounds like it wasn't a very good upsell offer.

I quickly ran the numbers before my TA called me back...I didn't think it was...it was 048...two down from the smoking area by the Sea View Pool. That was a huge factor in my decision. It would have come out to be about what we spent on a BA on the Verandah deck last year...220...just underneath this one. And the smoke bothered me there...from the pool area!

I quickly ran the numbers before my TA called me back...I didn't think it was...it was 048...two down from the smoking area by the Sea View Pool. That was a huge factor in my decision. It would have come out to be about what we spent on a BA on the Verandah deck last year...220...just underneath this one. And the smoke bothered me there...from the pool area!

Thank for clearing that up. The price was right -- the location of the cabin not good.

I don't blame you for turning down the upsell - smoke it still a big problem for some of us.

Potsie,

Have a GREAT cruise!!! What a nice way to begin the New Year. :)

Sheila,

Really good you investigated. Your veranda could well be deemed worthless to you if they are smoking out there all the time. What a shame you can't take advantage of a nice offer because of the smoke. You'll have a wonderful cruise and won't be bothered from the smoke by staying right in the cabin you chose. :)

We received an offer to switch cruises, just once - early in our cruising days. It was from a 7 day Veendam to a 10 day Maasdam, same SA cabin, same price (but with a $200 OBC), and a different embarkation port about 2 weeks later. We're flexible, so agreed - and are ever so glad we did. Not only did we realize how much more we'd enjoy the slightly longer cruise, but we were introduced to the delightful Ms Maasdam. We thought it worked out beautifully.

I don't think we'll change, we both got work off and are ready to go this Sunday! Thanks for the help...

Yea those deals can be just that, a deal but you pretty much have to be retired to take advantage of them. We got an insane one in 2009, can't remember the details but it was something like 50 or 75% off. Wish we could have done it.

;) I 'kind of' figured that might have occured to you and wanted to reassure you that will not happen.

Let us know what you decide. :)

Thanks Sail7Seas - I'm also on the same trip (NA 1/8) and am stressing that I don't have a cabin (VH Guarantee) and was worried that we would be involuntarily bumped. My TA tells me not to worry, but I am a worrier by nature :) So thanks for the reassurance!

:) Don't Worry, RenoDuck. Your TA is right.

What they are doing is juggling all the guarantees right now and that is why they are making offers. They know just how many cabins they need in what categories and fret not, they will get them. They always do. :)

:) Don't Worry, RenoDuck. Your TA is right.

What they are doing is jugglilng all the guarantees right now and that is why they are making offers. They know just how many cabins they need in what categories and fret not, they will get them. They always do. :)

Thank you so much, not only for this response, but all the info you provide!

Archived