Celebrity vs Crystal or Oceania

MontrealerEB

We recently booked our holiday cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. Never tried other companies than Celebrity but thinking about trying Crystal or Oceania for a change. Is it worthing a try and if so, which one between Crystal or Oceania would be the best choice ? Any advice ?

Well that is a tall order

You are use to mainstream cruise & want to compare with premium & luxury cruises

What are you looking for in a cruise

Formal nights? no formal nights?

Vegas style shows or low key

set dining ..open dining

All inclusive (drinks)

Give us some idea of what you want out of your cruise experience

Since you are on the Oceania forum I would say go with O :D

Of course any cruise line is worth a try

I would NEVER take Oceania again on a Holiday cruise! just back from Regatta Xmas and New Years. Plenty of Xmas decorations but NO CELEBRATION, no complimentary drinks, etc. There a was a "drink special" of "glog" for , I think it was $4.99. How cheap can you get!.

New Years Eve, plenty of party hats and 1000 helium balloons and only a free Sparkling wine toast at midnight. The ship and food were very good but what a disappointment for a Holiday Cruise

My dear BRAXX20, where did you ever get the idea that O is a "party ship"? All comes down to knowing what you expect and finding the "right" cruise to meet those expectations. Same applies to OP - know what you want from a cruise so you will not be disappointed. Research, research and know thine own self. Those 3 cruise lines couldn't be more different. I love O and have enjoyed Celebrity's Solstice ships occasionally when I am looking for a bargain. Crystal's smoking policy and formality is not for me.

My dear BRAXX20, where did you ever get the idea that O is a "party ship"? All comes down to knowing what you expect and finding the "right" cruise to meet those expectations. Same applies to OP - know what you want from a cruise so you will not be disappointed. Research, research and know thine own self. Those 3 cruise lines couldn't be more different. I love O and have enjoyed Celebrity's Solstice ships occasionally when I am looking for a bargain. Crystal's smoking policy and formality is not for me.

What does this have to do with being a "party ship"?This was Holiday cruise, and priced as such! Most people on this cruise were as surprised as me at the stinginess of the company . EVEN THE CAPTAIN seemed surprised that there was a lack of any such offering, when I mentioned it to him after Xmas. We have cruised AT LEAST 70 times with many cruise lines and several holiday cruises and the "lessor" lines were most generous at holidays!

Soltice class ships, "a bargain" ? Rather elitist statement if you ask me. The affluent folks I met on Oceania (our second cruise with them)were not elitist but very modest.

I would NEVER take Oceania again on a Holiday cruise! just back from Regatta Xmas and New Years. Plenty of Xmas decorations but NO CELEBRATION, no complimentary drinks, etc. There a was a "drink special" of "glog" for , I think it was $4.99. How cheap can you get!.

New Years Eve, plenty of party hats and 1000 helium balloons and only a free Sparkling wine toast at midnight. The ship and food were very good but what a disappointment for a Holiday Cruise

I guess this proves that one of Oceania's best perks is the low key atmosphere - what better test than during a holiday season? I thought that you were going to say that the ship was overrun with kids! LOL

Sorry that you didn't get the celebration you were expecting. Personally, I keep praying every year that DH would just be happy to stay home and not want all the hoopla. I actually got pretty crafty a few years back and used O to satisfy his need to do something really special for New Years Eve, while making myself happy too that we weren't going out to a loud venue to celebrate - I booked us a January 2 cruise with O, so that we were flying to Miami on New Years Eve! It was perfect, but right after that, O's prices skyrocketed. C'est la vie.

Oceania couldn't BUY better advertising for a Holiday cruise, IMHO, at least among the demographic they are targeting.

[quote

Soltice class ships, "a bargain" ?

Then I, too, am elitist. I think the Celebrity S class ships are phenomenal and are the best value at sea. They are a huge bargain when compared to Oceania! I can get a suite on Celebrity for the price on an Outside on O.

I'm sorry but I just cant get past the grass decks.

113115.jpg

I'm going to be Elitist myself, and call this the most vulgar "amenity" ever perpetrated on a cruise ship. :mad:

monagreatlips.jpgAkin to putting lipstick on the Mona Lisa.

LOL. We have never used it but people actually like to picnic up there and I think they play croquet. I do not think it's vulgar at all. It's just another option and options are good.

The S ships are gorgeous and have some fabulous venues -- the wine cellar is amazing. The Eclipse equals Marina in beauty IMO -- in fact the artwork on the Eclipse outdoes the artwork on Marina. They even have a coffee table book with the artwork. Don't knock it till you've tried it! LOL One size doesn't fit all.

Start thinkink to stay with X, since I don't think I'd like the smoking non-policy of Crystal. I don't like to many formal nights though I do enjoy few of them (let's say 1 or 2 at most). My reservation is done on X Aquaclass, but will keep open eyes on your comments on O that seems to be nice too. Thanks for sharing your advices. As it's been said, almost all cruiselines seem nice, depending our expectations.

I think celeb has launched a program of cruises for people who dont like to be on ships. Lawns , Garrdens, shopping, sports bars, Things to distrct you from being at sea.

I dont get it plus 3000 people to Oceana 900

Far greater " intrisic value" to being on smaller ship thand a suite on a floating resort hotel.

I love being on a ship and walking the deck. A lawn picknick on a ship at sea watching a glass blowing show!!! It makes as much sense to me a a bowling alley in a church. They just dont go together.... what are they thinking

I am considering Oceana because of the lack of appeal to families and kids. I love Regent for the same reason. ships that look like ships, feel like ships

I dont get it plus 3000 people to Oceana 900.... what are they thinking

I guess they figure if they can get 3,000 people filling 5 of their Solstice class ships they are on to something, especially when it is kids, families, and mid 50's couples who are out to spend.

As an aside there are more then a few Pastors that would put in a bowling alley if it would fill their Church as well.

P.S. We did lawn bowling on a Solstice class ship and had a grand time. The putting green was too slow though.

They are moving on from the glass blowing displays and are converting the area to Bistro and bar up top ..... bigger money maker and more activities I guess?

I guess they figure if they can get 3,000 people filling 5 of their Solstice class ships they are on to something, especially when it is kids, families, and mid 50's couples who are out to spend.

As an aside there are more then a few Pastors that would put in a bowling alley if it would fill their Church as well.

P.S. We did lawn bowling on a Solstice class ship and had a grand time. The putting green was too slow though.

They are moving on from the glass blowing displays and are converting the area to Bistro and bar up top ..... bigger money maker and more activities I guess?

As someone who is just about to embark on his first Oceania cruise on Marina, I have been amazed at the number of Oceania cruisers slamming the Solstice Class ships without ever having stepped foot on them!

In my experience, things in life work or they don't. I privately thought the Lawn Club was idiotic until I took off my shoes and walked barefoot on the grass among adults and even teens just quietly sitting there and reading, having a glass of wine or actively playing bocce ball. At dusk with live music, the area can be positively magical. I would never dream of commenting on Marina's horrific Soprano's inspired Privee or the appalling blue outer decks (is that Astroturf or just cheap paint?) until I have actually sailed on her.

OK - are you all ready to attack? Good - you get my point. Please don't review something until you have actually experienced it.

I am in my late 40's and have been fortunate enough to sail on many different lines and ships. I will probably actually love Oceania but I'll reserve my comments until after I get back.

I have crystal booked but considering switching to oceania. I understand the service is exceptional on crystal, but I have heard the food on oceania is fairly close in quality. The staterooms are a little bigger on oceania. Price point is 350 per day lower on oceania with the drink package and gratuities included. Really struggling with the way to go on this.

Any verification on the food and service aspects:confused:

As someone who is just about to embark on his first Oceania cruise on Marina, I have been amazed at the number of Oceania cruisers slamming the Solstice Class ships without ever having stepped foot on them!

In my experience, things in life work or they don't. I privately thought the Lawn Club was idiotic until I took off my shoes and walked barefoot on the grass among adults and even teens just quietly sitting there and reading, having a glass of wine or actively playing bocce ball. At dusk with live music, the area can be positively magical. I would never dream of commenting on Marina's horrific Soprano's inspired Privee or the appalling blue outer decks (is that Astroturf or just cheap paint?) until I have actually sailed on her.

OK - are you all ready to attack? Good - you get my point. Please don't review something until you have actually experienced it.

I am in my late 40's and have been fortunate enough to sail on many different lines and ships. I will probably actually love Oceania but I'll reserve my comments until after I get back.

I am with you 100%. Ignore the ignorant posts. That's what I do. Celebrity does not need us to defend these ships but I love the S class ships. They are spectacularly beautiful and there are many options and some terrific venues. 3000 guests - did someone pull that number out of a hat? Not so. These are not megaships. I am back on the Solstice next January and I plan to book another S-class cruise for 2014. Frankly, after having sailed on Marina (1200), if I am going to lose the intimacy of an R ship on O, I prefer the S class ships over Marina.

I am with you 100%. Ignore the ignorant posts. That's what I do. Celebrity does not need us to defend these ships but I love the S class ships. They are spectacularly beautiful and there are many options and some terrific venues. 3000 guests - did someone pull that number out of a hat? Not so. These are not megaships. I am back on the Solstice next January and I plan to book another S-class cruise for 2014. Frankly, after having sailed on Marina (1200), if I am going to lose the intimacy of an R ship on O, I prefer the S class ships over Marina.

I agree 100%! Since I've cruised on both lines, I may have a dog in this fight. Let's start with the real numbers -- the Marina is 65,000 tons and has 1,258 passengers; the Solstice is 122,000 tons and has 2,850 passengers.

Both cruise lines are excellent, but two really different products. The cost of an Oceania cruise is over twice the price of a Celebrity cruise; each person has to judge that value.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

+1

Just got back from a week on the Eclipse and it was a different experience than Oceania in many ways.

Our observations in terms of which we preferred over the other:

Itinerary - O

Entertainment/nightlife - X

MDR - O

Buffett - O

Specialty restaurants - X

Stateroom - X

Stateroom E-functionality - X

Stateroom quietness - O

Embark/Disembark - O

Cost - X

In fairness our O experiences have all been on the R class ships, the above are just our opinion based on our experiences/impressions and YMMV.

+1

Just got back from a week on the Eclipse and it was a different experience than Oceania in many ways.

Our observations in terms of which we preferred over the other:

Itinerary - O

Entertainment/nightlife - X

MDR - O

Buffett - O

Specialty restaurants - X

Stateroom - X

Stateroom E-functionality - X

Stateroom quietness - O

Embark/Disembark - O

Cost - X

In fairness our O experiences have all been on the R class ships, the above are just our opinion based on our experiences/impressions and YMMV.

I am 98% in agreement. The only category I would differ is MDR - I give it to X - The MDR on Marina was awful (I am not the first to say so) - it's probably a tie on the R ships. On the Marina, the buffet is a clear winner for O. On the R ships, where O's buffet is more limited, I don't see a clear winner. I have not noticed any difference in stateroom quietness. Could be a function of location.

Let's add one category. If we are comparing the R ships to X, O wins hands down in terms of ambiance -- the intimacy of those ships cannot be beat. That's what makes it worth paying almost twice as much. Once you move to the M class ships, that special ambiance is lost.

I can sail either line (and I do) and be perfectly happy.

I am 98% in agreement. The only category I would differ is MDR - I give it to X - The MDR on Marina was awful (I am not the first to say so) - it's probably a tie on the R ships.

I had read your review of your trans-Atlantic crossing before our holiday cruise on Marina so I was somewhat concerned about the Grand Dining Room situation. In fact, we arranged to eat in Jacques the first night of the cruise as an extra reservation because of your comments. Therefore, we were pleasantly surprised by the good food and service in the GDR on our cruise. I won't comment on taste since that's so subjective, but the quality was there in objective things like meat was cooked as ordered and delivered while still hot. Waiters got orders right. And, any special requests showed up on the plate or were delivered quite quickly thereafter. The pace of the meal was efficient but still gracious. Only one night, Christmas, was there a very long lag between our appetizer and our main course and the dining room was better attended than usual.

Obviously, the ideal is a standardized dining experience which is flawless regardless of which waiter is serving you or how far the kitchen and dining room staff are into their contract so they are fully familiar with the ship and its procedures. However, the fact remains there is some variation. I'm sorry your experience was not satisfactory, but ours definitely was much better than satisfactory.

Although what I'm about share isn't quite related to the differences between the dining room on Celebrity and Oceania, but it is food-related. The first season Celebrity came into existence, we loved the wide variety of cold shellfish salads that were avilable daily at lunch in the buffet. Over the next five or six cruises we took with Celebrity, there was less variety each day until, finally, no more seafood salads were offered. On Oceania this past cruise, we were able to get at least one seafood salad daily in the buffet.

I had read your review of your trans-Atlantic crossing before our holiday cruise on Marina so I was somewhat concerned about the Grand Dining Room situation. In fact, we arranged to eat in Jacques the first night of the cruise as an extra reservation because of your comments. Therefore, we were pleasantly surprised by the good food and service in the GDR on our cruise. I won't comment on taste since that's so subjective, but the quality was there in objective things like meat was cooked as ordered and delivered while still hot. Waiters got orders right. And, any special requests showed up on the plate or were delivered quite quickly thereafter. The pace of the meal was efficient but still gracious. Only one night, Christmas, was there a very long lag between our appetizer and our main course and the dining room was better attended than usual.

Obviously, the ideal is a standardized dining experience which is flawless regardless of which waiter is serving you or how far the kitchen and dining room staff are into their contract so they are fully familiar with the ship and its procedures. However, the fact remains there is some variation. I'm sorry your experience was not satisfactory, but ours definitely was much better than satisfactory.

That is good to hear. Friends of ours were on the Marina cruise following ours and had a better experience in the GDR than we did. They do not "do buffet" so they ate in the GDR when they were not in the Specialties. Consistency seems to be the problem. Hopefully they will keep working on it until it is flawless.

I just got back to reading this post again after commenting earlier and enjoyed the ensuing "conversations". I love the little grass space on the Equinox, I wanted to get a photo of my husband "mowing" the grass but they were too quick to put the mower away. He loves sitting up there reading (he says it feels cooler than the hot decking) and I thought it was a unique idea. Who needs more decking on such a large ship? Yes, X and O are both lovely opportunities to cruise and both offer a different experience. Yes, X is a bargain - I can do 2 X cruises to 1 O. Call that elitist if you like. I am just thrilled to be able to enjoy both in my mature years. O's R ships will always be my favorites.

Archived