New pillow tops on beds in outside cabins

piper28

That could be a topper someone left. That would take more room than we would have in our two bags. The thought never crossed our minds. It doesn't always work but don't leave a request for a pillow top until your on the ship. We've always FAXED that request to Princess.

I really hope Princess doesn't change from mattresses with excellent support to soft ones without.

I agree. I also do not understand all the complaining about the mattresses. I think they are wonderful. Not as good as my Temperpedic, but in terms of hotel room mattresses, they are up there at the top.

I loathe soft mattresses and I'd literally have to move to the floor if they go that route. My back cannot take the lack of support.

I've been on 4 Princess cruises and have faxed my request for a egg crate topper on each of them. It has never been honored (much like the same request for twin setup (apparently they see married and automatcally set up the queen). However, upon asking a topper has always been put on the bed. I too prefer a firm/hard bed, but do prefer something softer than a concrete slab.

Thanks for all the replies & advice! It sounds like the new pillowtop mattresses are only in the suites right now. We have just a balcony cabin... wish they would get them in those rooms by April.

We were in a balcony, and the steward said all outside rooms. But like I said, I don't know that it's spread far so far, and from other posts here, doesn't sound like it.

I think the suites have always had a different mattress (at least the one time I've been in a suite it was clearly a better mattress than is in the normal cabins).

And for Kmkub, I have to be honest, I think the idea that anyone could compare the Princess mattresses and have them come out favorable compared to hotel mattresses is a little mind-boggling. :). Obviously, it's a very personal matter, but most hotels I stay at have considerably better mattresses than Princess has. Princess is close to a dorm room bed than a hotel in my book.

We just got off the Emerald Princess last week and NO pillow top, just the rock-hard mattresses that are hard on the backs/hips! We had a balcony cabin, so it didn't matter. We'll be on the Island Princess in 3 weeks, so called our TA to make a "special request" for whatever upgrade they can offer in mattresses!! Got my fingers crossed!!!

Pat

I am a Princess princess but hate the beds too...that steel crate thing under the mattress is no substitute for springs.:eek: I have aching hips unless the mattress is so old that I am cocooned on my back like in a hammock! I would vote for an improvement..and yes I found the beds on HAL lovely but I will stick with my princess but I hope they are listening.

We thought HAL had the best, most comfortable beds, too!!! In fact, HAL beats Princess in cabin amenities also. We had an OV cabin and it had a Bathtub and sofa as standard furnishings. Still, I'm happiest when cruising with Princess.

And back to the subject at hand - Princess beds - I have heard nothing about new pillow tops, but sure hope they go fleet wide!

Ditto the fantastic HAL beds - best in the business! Carnival used to have good beds too, but their newer ones are downright terrible - even worse than Princess' regular cabins. I wonder if they use different mattresses in their full suites? The ones we had last year on 2 different ships were really comfortable. Or maybe I'm just getting used to them?

we were on the Emerald for 20 days Nov 28 to Dec 18 we had a mini suite and we had a pillow topper. The bed was still very firm but comfortable.

We have had some bad experiences with mattress on Princess, one time on the Grand the middle was at least six inches lower than the edges! All the support in the bed was gone.

On average though the beds have been comfortable.

vickie

We've only sailed with Royal Caribbean and now I'm worried about Princess's beds. Loved RC's bed.. had no issues, thought it was wonderful.

We are sailing in Feb on the Crown with a balcony room.

What does "egg crate" mean for the bed?

I agree. I also do not understand all the complaining about the mattresses. I think they are wonderful. Not as good as my Temperpedic, but in terms of hotel room mattresses, they are up there at the top.

I loathe soft mattresses and I'd literally have to move to the floor if they go that route. My back cannot take the lack of support.

I have to disagree with you there. I have a Tempurpedic too and I do not find the mattresses on Princess in anyway comparable at all. Perhaps its because I sleep on my side so I like the support of the Tempurpedic. The Princess mattresses are awful for side sleepers. Maybe back sleepers are different. I just wish that Princess will offer better toppers for those that want less than firm... Other than that I love everything else about Princess.

The complaints are definitely well-earned. Both Carnival and Royal Caribbean have very comfortable mattresses; Princesses are too hard for many of us. A good mattress can provide the firmness that some people like, but yet enough padding to be comfortable for everyone. Most name-brand hotels offer comfortable mattresses and I'm definitely more likely to patronize a hotel that I know I'll sleep well at. I love Princess cruise lines and they offer a great experience- with the glaring exception of uncomfortable mattresses. The foam toppers are woefully inadequate.

I'll be sailing on the Caribbean Princess this spring and I'm am keeping my fingers crossed there will be a cozy mattress waiting for me this time.

I was happy with the eggcrate topper on my first cruise. Second cruise they used one of those VERY THIN sheets of foam, which made little to no difference at all.

Someone here on CC recently said she turned back her bottom sheet and was horrified to see how stained and dirty the foam topper was, of course they are not washable. :eek: So, now I wont ask for one anymore, and will really have my fingers crossed that we get pillow tops for the mattress.

I was happy with the eggcrate topper on my first cruise. Second cruise they used one of those VERY THIN sheets of foam, which made little to no difference at all.

Someone here on CC recently said she turned back her bottom sheet and was horrified to see how stained and dirty the foam topper was, of course they are not washable. :eek: So, now I wont ask for one anymore, and will really have my fingers crossed that we get pillow tops for the mattress.

...and what is going to keep the pillow top from becoming stained? :eek: Is there such a thing as a removable pillow-top for a mattress?

AMEN!! These comments make me wonder if they are sleeping on marshmallows back home... :o)

I like the Princess mattresses. An old back injury demands support for me. I certainly hope they do not go to soft mattresses.

AMEN!! These comments make me wonder if they are sleeping on marshmallows back home... :o)

I like the Princess mattresses. An old back injury demands support for me. I certainly hope they do not go to soft mattresses.

I have a Tempurpedic-like mattress also. It's very, very firm - like extremely firm. But it gives when you lay on it. The Princess mattresses don't give at all. I can sleep on any mattress, but I prefer HAL's beds to all others in the industry. I wish Princess would get what HAL has.

• 2 weeks later...

All - I apoligize if this was already posted. I just noticed that for the Sapphire Princess, Ruby & Star (I didn't try for every ship), when checking prices and availability (pretending to book a cruise on Princess.com), when you select Step #3 for Stateroom Type, click on the camera icon for a room description and pictures -> take a close look at the Room Amenities list for mini-suites & suites, there is a reference to

Comfortable luxury pillow-top mattresses

There is no reference of this for Balconies or lower categories.

Sue from Suisun City, CA

All - I apoligize if this was already posted. I just noticed that for the Sapphire Princess, Ruby & Star (I didn't try for every ship), when checking prices and availability (pretending to book a cruise on Princess.com), when you select Step #3 for Stateroom Type, click on the camera icon for a room description and pictures -> take a close look at the Room Amenities list for mini-suites & suites, there is a reference to

Comfortable luxury pillow-top mattresses

There is no reference of this for Balconies or lower categories.

Sue from Suisun City, CA

Thanks, Sue! That's very interesting! Will have to check it out! :)

Recent suite passengers have said the mattresses are no different. Maybe this is something new. I can say that when Princess requires you to book a mini-suite or above for a decent mattress will be when I go to another cruise line that provides decent mattresses for everyone. I cruise solo and the cost for a solo mini or suite for myself is prohibitive. I feel like I'm spending enough to get a decent mattress. JMO.

I know I am in the "Princess" area for posting, but I just cruised Princess last year, so I know about the beds. We did not ask for the "egg crate," but I understand we could have. That is nice that they have put or added something new to the mattress. I will say, Carnival, I feel, has the best beds and comforts of all. I feel like a "baby in a cacoon" when I am sleeping on/in their beds.:)

Archived